Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Ok I am still here. I can never keep up quoting on my phone, but this is where I usually read, I will keep trying to do better. Everything I have seen is just awesome. Everyone has posted great things. I wish I could quote them all, but that is what has kept me off of here, is that I get behind and can't catch up. Anyway just wanted to say hi and I'll try to start fresh again.

Congrats on the new machine. I very nearly bought myself an Innovis 4000d last night on ebay then I realized that even though it was a great price I don't actually have that money so I resisted. And my hubby isn't ob board with upgrading my machine since it is only a little more than 6 months old. (but 4.7 million stitches!)

I used the Applique Ave "Boo" when I made my friend's Monsters inc shirt:

Here is today's project before I take my embroidery machine in for service (it's fine but I feel like it needs maintenance. I have almost 5 Million stitches and Just got it in July.) These are Easter/Trip to Sunny Florida presents for my boys.The East fits as shorts I had done before captain america fully stitched out! Hulk's hair was all fill stitch too so it took forever. My boys are almost obsessed with superheroes as they are with Disney so they are going to LOVE these sets. And even though Easter is at the end of the trip I am just going to give them to them early so they can actually wear them when it is warm because who knows if/when it will ever warm up here in Chicago!

Now time to start packing for our trip, we leave Wednesday morning, driving to Alabama first to see my husband's cousin, then on to Orlando to see a friend (and breakfast at 'Ohana on Saturday!) before ultimately on to an island near Ft. Meyers my father in law lives that sells itself as an island without a beach. W/ two 3-year-olds. Should be interesting. Oh and I am told he has fire ants and poison ivy in his yard. Yikes!

That shirt is awesome! Such fun designs! And the boys are going to love those outfits. That Captain America is so cute!! I'm sure the twin girls will love their shirts. Great job on all of them!

Also, way to talk yourself down from the ebay machine. It's so easy to get caught up when the price is tempting. I'm sure it won't be too long before you get a bigger, better machine. You are so productive! Over 5 million stitches in 6 months??? Wow!

Have a safe trip down to Alabama and Florida and enjoy your Ohana time. Hope you can steer clear of the poison ivy and fire ants. :scared1:

:wave2:

Sorry I haven't been back on to update on my sewing machine, life got super busy and my new pain and inflammation meds are throwing me for a loop (feel like I had a lobotomy!).

Sooooo....went to my grandpa's house to find my grandmother's sewing machine and other items and it was crazy! Some stuff in the guest room, some tucked in closets, some stuff in her previous craft room in piles, stacks, shelves, and then some in the attic!!! There was nothing together and I have a sewing machine that I think is missing parts?!? :confused3 So I convinced hubby I needed a new machine to learn on and then once I understand a machine I can figure out the old machine and I'll use it too. :thumbsup2

So I ordered and now have a Brother CS6000i :cool1:. I have used some spare fabric to play with it but haven't really worked on it too much. Need more scrap fabric to practice stitching on. I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow, still need to name her. And the Brother PE770 is on sale on Amazon right now and I think I've convinced hubby to let me buy her (taxes came and we have been building our savings so I have the cash available, he doesn't need a new gun, LOL)...I really really want to be able to embroider on fabrics!!! :) So a trip to a fabric store is in order for fabric and thread for my first project!!!! :hyper:

What would you ladies recommend as a good beginner project for a complete sewing novice? I am so thankful I found this group and now will have a new hobby! I am as always in awe of everyone's work! :worship:

Sorry so long of a post! Hope everyone has a great week :goodvibes

Congrats on the new machine!! Sorry your grandmother's was in pieces. But this way you'll be up and running in no time. I had to laugh about needing to go buy more fabric so you could practice. Most on here are trying to resist buying more fabric and working out of our stash. You'll soon be at that point as well. It's sort of an addiction...in a good way.

As for what to start on, go to You Can Make This website and check out the easy fit pants pattern. Lots of people start there since they are very basic and very easy. I'm sure others will be on to give you other suggestions too. Just jump in and don't be afraid of your machine. In no time at all you'll be sewing like a pro. Just remember to post pictures of what you make, even if it's not Disney related. Good luck and have a great adventure with sewing!:goodvibes

Here is a link to a picture of my machine, the website is French, but you can see the picture. the elna website didn't have a good pic.

http://www.coudreetbroder.com/bouti...540&type=26&code_lg=lg_fr&num=10#.UUaSpdxzbxM

Nice! I'm sure you'll have many hours of wonderful sewing with that machine. So glad you found one you liked!

Yay for winning the bid on the new machine!!:banana: I'm so serger illiterate, all I use mine for is to finish my raw edges. I don't even know what you mean by coverstitch! I don't even know what I don't know. You know?:rotfl:

I would love to do something on little girl's socks. I'm a bit intimidated about something like that until I get a little more practice under my belt.
The coverstitch is the finishing stitch used on knit garments that you purchase. It sews that double row of stitches on the top and encloses the inside seam in a finished stitch. It makes your garments look professional. I had been looking for a machine that just did coverstitch but they ended up being more expensive than what I purchased and now I have a back up serger. I know that I don't optimize my serger's use either. I have a ton of feet that I am not sure what to do with. I have played around with the elasticator foot and it was fun but I can't really figure out how I'd use it.

I've only done socks a couple of times. They turn out so stinking cute! But they can be a pain to hoop.

Congrats on the new machine. I very nearly bought myself an Innovis 4000d last night on ebay then I realized that even though it was a great price I don't actually have that money so I resisted. And my hubby isn't ob board with upgrading my machine since it is only a little more than 6 months old. (but 4.7 million stitches!)

I am sorry about your issues with just peachy. I use a lot of her stuff in my etsy shop and have been happy with the way it stitches out. I like the wider satin stitch. I belong to a group appliqué herald on facebook which I think she helps administer and have gotten good responses through there. I know she just moved recently and was without internet access for a couple weeks.

The Innovis 4000d is the machine that I bought back in December. I just love it! I hope that you are able to save up enough to buy one. The biggest difference beside hoop size is that it trims the jump stitches. That feature is beyond wonderful! No more starting and stopping the machine all the time to trim them. And I don't have to babysit the machine nearly as much as I had to with my old machine.

I ended up buying the Applique Avenue set. It was a good deal and hopefully I will use some of the designs. I like the designs from Just Peachy and they do stitch out well. My issue is that 3 of the designs she sent me were empty files. They must have been corrupted somehow. I tried to download them twice and the same thing happened both times. I contacted her to ask her to email them to me instead of getting them from the website and I never heard back from her.

The super hero outfits are cute. I'm sure you boys will love wearing them in Florida and I hope you have a great trip. Are your boys feeling better yet? And the shirts for the twin girls are very cute too. What a neat idea to make a Spider Girl with braids! I'm sure that the little girls will both adore those shirts.

Sorry I haven't been back on to update on my sewing machine, life got super busy and my new pain and inflammation meds are throwing me for a loop (feel like I had a lobotomy!).

So I ordered and now have a Brother CS6000i :cool1:. I have used some spare fabric to play with it but haven't really worked on it too much. Need more scrap fabric to practice stitching on. I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow, still need to name her. And the Brother PE770 is on sale on Amazon right now and I think I've convinced hubby to let me buy her

What would you ladies recommend as a good beginner project for a complete sewing novice? I am so thankful I found this group and now will have a new hobby! I am as always in awe of everyone's work! :worship:
Hooray for a new sewing machine. I hope that you make many wonderful projects on it. I agree wit Lois that the easy fit pants on YCMT are a perfect beginner project. If I were you, I would get a few sewing projects under my belt before I order the PE770. That way you are comfortable with one machine before you start learning another one. It is hard to try and learn two skills at once.

Here is a link to a picture of my machine, the website is French, but you can see the picture. the elna website didn't have a good pic.

http://www.coudreetbroder.com/bouti...540&type=26&code_lg=lg_fr&num=10#.UUaSpdxzbxM
It looks like a great machine. I wish I could read the features but I'm sure it does everything! My high school French isn't good enough to read the description. LOL!

Sooooo....went to my grandpa's house to find my grandmother's sewing machine and other items and it was crazy! Some stuff in the guest room, some tucked in closets, some stuff in her previous craft room in piles, stacks, shelves, and then some in the attic!!! There was nothing together and I have a sewing machine that I think is missing parts?!? :confused3 So I convinced hubby I needed a new machine to learn on and then once I understand a machine I can figure out the old machine and I'll use it too. :thumbsup2

So I ordered and now have a Brother CS6000i :cool1:. I have used some spare fabric to play with it but haven't really worked on it too much. Need more scrap fabric to practice stitching on. I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow, still need to name her. And the Brother PE770 is on sale on Amazon right now and I think I've convinced hubby to let me buy her (taxes came and we have been building our savings so I have the cash available, he doesn't need a new gun, LOL)...I really really want to be able to embroider on fabrics!!! :) So a trip to a fabric store is in order for fabric and thread for my first project!!!! :hyper:

I just bought one too! It arrives tomorrow. My old Kenmore was just not keeping up. I'm hanging on to it for teaching the girls and what not.
I have a stack of projects just waiting for the new machine to arrive!

I second starting with Easy Fits and I really like the Portrait Peasant dress (if you have girls.)

:woohoo:

Here are the dragon shirts I made last night and today for my boys. I've 'owed' them some non-Disney shirts since Christmas and they helped pick the fabrics from my stash. I added the quote from Tolkien because "Do not meddle with the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." wouldn't fit. ;)

Oh, btw, I was having terrible bird's nests the other day and my PE-770 has been acting up and making a funny noise whenever the carriage moved through a certain spot. After opening up the throat plate, and removing the bobbin case twice(!), I found the cause of all my woes. A tiny piece of stabilizer had gotten stuck to the inside of the bobbin race. It was slowly growing by collecting lint and thread bits, but the first time I looked, I mistook it for something that was supposed to be there. You know how there are tiny felt or fuzzy areas that are actually part of the machine? It looked like one of those until I touched it and some black plaque came off and I realized it was not supposed to be there.

Anyway, we've all heard a lot about looking for a stray thread when a machine is acting up, but I thought it might be useful to have another possibility to look for if you ever have a similar problem. :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Regards,
C.
The dragon shirts are really cute and I love the saying you used. I'm impressed that you were able to figure out the problem with your machine. Great job hunting down that scrap piece of stabilizer. :yay:

Erin - Congrats on the new machine for you and your mom to share. It is nice that you and your mom have a shared hobby. I don't have the 770 so I'm not sure about the extra hoops. I know other like having the extra 5X7 hoop so they can hoop while something else is stitching out. I do have a 4x4 hoop for my machine and I use it for smaller items and small ITH projects so I don't have to use as much stabilizer.

Andrea - glad to see you have gotten the sewing itch again. Not to mention that actual time to sew ;) I have a Shark iron that I like and I think others recommended the Shark Professional series irons. Can't wait to see your latest creations. (Every now and then the picture of the cake you made for Alexa's b-day party comes into my head - it was AMAZING).

On Friday I put in a bid on ebay on a used Pfaff Coverlock machine. It was a super low bid (like less than 1/2 of what they generally sell for) so I never thought I would win, but I did. So now I have a Pfaff Coverlock machine on the way to my house. It is missing the power cord and foot control so I will have to order those. I can't get them until I see the shape of the plug connection. Since I already have a very nice serger, my plan is to leave this one set up to do the coverstitch. It gets very nice reviews. I am on the hunt for a reasonably priced binding foot attachment for it. The binding foot looks awesome!
Congrats on the new coverlock machine. I hope you get the binding foot figured out. I bet you would get a lot of use out of it.

Here is today's project before I take my embroidery machine in for service (it's fine but I feel like it needs maintenance. I have almost 5 Million stitches and Just got it in July.) These are Easter/Trip to Sunny Florida presents for my boys.The East fits as shorts I had done before captain america fully stitched out! Hulk's hair was all fill stitch too so it took forever. My boys are almost obsessed with superheroes as they are with Disney so they are going to LOVE these sets. And even though Easter is at the end of the trip I am just going to give them to them early so they can actually wear them when it is warm because who knows if/when it will ever warm up here in Chicago!

And this is a fun birthday set I made for a friend's twin daughters. She wanted them to go together, but one daughter is really into princesses and the other spiderman. So I used doc mcstuffins pigtails from lynnie pinnie on just peachy's spiderman and girly-ed it up with pink cupcakes to match her sister. I think it is cute and fun and I hope the little spiderman-loving girl loves it.

Now time to start packing for our trip, we leave Wednesday morning, driving to Alabama first to see my husband's cousin, then on to Orlando to see a friend (and breakfast at 'Ohana on Saturday!) before ultimately on to an island near Ft. Meyers my father in law lives that sells itself as an island without a beach. W/ two 3-year-olds. Should be interesting. Oh and I am told he has fire ants and poison ivy in his yard. Yikes!
The super hero outfits for the boys are awesome. I just bought that same fabric for my daughter, who loves the Avengers, but I have to figure out something to make for her.

The b-day shirts are so cute, love how you made the girly spiderman.

Have fun on your trip and "enjoy the island without a beach" :scratchin I'm sure the boys will have a great time visiting with their grandfather. At least you will get to enjoy some Disney magic and the warm weather.

YEAH! Congrats on the new machine. You can look on-line to find a pillowcase dress tutorial or a simple twirl skirt tutorial. The easy-fit pants from You Can Make This are also a great pattern. So is the Simply Sweet dress from Scientific Seamstress on YCMT. Good luck!

I really need to get more sewing time. I really do sew instead of JUST buy stuff lol.
:rotfl2: or just pinning stuff on Pinterest that I want to make.

Hello all, I am still here, mainly lurking...., I haven't really made anything to post lately. I am looking for a king kong or godzilla machine applique design. If anybody has come across one, can you please direct me in the correct direction. Somebody gave me a ton of really ugly city scape material, and I am trying to "cute" it up a bit. Thanks for your help!

Marci

Question: How do you all keep your designs organized? I have all my designs on a thumb drive, and in folders on the drive, but when I want something specific, I have no idea which folder it is in. Do you categorize your designs and put all of say "Mickey" designs in one folder? I made the mistake of buying a cd of designs with over 3000 Disney designs on it. Yes, I said 3,000! So I have no idea what I have. DH put everything on a thumb drive for me and I guess there's a folder where I can view what's on there, but it doesn't work on my MacBook, so I haven't looked at it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Hello all, I am still here, mainly lurking...., I haven't really made anything to post lately. I am looking for a king kong or godzilla machine applique design. If anybody has come across one, can you please direct me in the correct direction. Somebody gave me a ton of really ugly city scape material, and I am trying to "cute" it up a bit. Thanks for your help!

Marci

I can't help with Godzilla or King Kong, but what about a superman/superhoero thing? I can totally see leaps-over-tall-buildings as a great superhero jumping point.

And I didn't grab the quotes, but thanks to everyone for the comments on the superhero outfits, I think my boys are going to be bananas over them.

And no, Diane, they aren't feeling much better. One has finally gotten over the fever, but still has the croup cough, the other is still suffering with the fever and general malaise. They are bummed they have to miss preschool tomorrow because of it. At least they are getting it out of the way before driving 26 hours to FL (split over a few days.)

:crazy2::sad::guilty::mad::headache:

I just took pictures of the outfit I made dd and also of the dog jeans I made her a couple of months ago and they will not upload onto photobucket. I've heard people have had issues since they updated it. It does nothing for me. I try to upload by browsing my files, select what I want uploaded and then voila --- NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! So I have pictures to show but don't know what to do to get them here.

My next project will be for a BG so I need to start that tomorrow.

Thank you all for the iron info. As I was pressing my fabric yesterday my iron spit murky colored water onto my fabric. It washes right out, but it really is time to replace my iron.

Diane -- if I get an over the door ironing board it will go on the door of our walk in attic so no one will be coming in and out that door on a regular basis. But stability is exactly what my main concern is. I iron a lot -- I even iron t-shirts that my kids sleep in or that my ds wears to soccer practice. I was hoping to find a more expensive one that was sturdier, but can't find one on line and the stores have slim pickin's. Congrats on your new serger! I know with all the knits you've been doing it will get plenty of use.

And this is a fun birthday set I made for a friend's twin daughters. She wanted them to go together, but one daughter is really into princesses and the other spiderman. So I used doc mcstuffins pigtails from lynnie pinnie on just peachy's spiderman and girly-ed it up with pink cupcakes to match her sister. I think it is cute and fun and I hope the little spiderman-loving girl loves it.

Both sets of shirts look great! I love how you merged the designs. I may eventually get some software to play with for wording and merging designs. I have a Mac as well and wanted to get something inexpensive like Sew What Pro but never thought to investigate if it work with a Mac or not -- I may have to get embrillance.

I'm excited for your new machine! I agree that the Easy Fits are a great starter project and also agree that the Portrait Peasant is very good for beginners.

Question: How do you all keep your designs organized? I have all my designs on a thumb drive, and in folders on the drive, but when I want something specific, I have no idea which folder it is in. Do you categorize your designs and put all of say "Mickey" designs in one folder? I made the mistake of buying a cd of designs with over 3000 Disney designs on it. Yes, I said 3,000! So I have no idea what I have. DH put everything on a thumb drive for me and I guess there's a folder where I can view what's on there, but it doesn't work on my MacBook, so I haven't looked at it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
I think I did it the way Nini recommended and have the files by designers on my computer. I have two thumb drives. One is Disney and the other is other designs. I agree -- it's a pain finding things sometimes. Embrillance makes a thumbnailer but not sure I want to spend $50 just to get it. I also put images of a lot of my favorites on pinterest.

Thank you all for the iron info. As I was pressing my fabric yesterday my iron spit murky colored water onto my fabric. It washes right out, but it really is time to replace my iron.

Have you tried running some vinegar through it? It might help. Anyway, I do that to the coffee maker occasionally to clean it. :wave2:

Mine are organized by Designer and then subject. I do have the iconizer from Embird which pops a picture up when browsing so that helps.

Mine are organized by Designer and then subject. I do have the iconizer from Embird which pops a picture up when browsing so that helps.

I think the iconizer is probably the BEST money I ever spent that I didn't really need... I have a problem never being able to remember either who made the design or what the name of the design is...LOL/...

While I didn't really NEED it, it has sure made my life easier. Of course, it only works if you actually unzip the file!

Nini

Have you tried running some vinegar through it? It might help. Anyway, I do that to the coffee maker occasionally to clean it. :wave2:

Good idea -- I have not tried that. The iron is really old -- maybe about 10 years old and the light that tells me it's on doesn't work ever since I dropped the iron a few months ago. I does a decent job of pressing though, but not perfect.

I got photobucket to work now!!! Well ,I didn't really get it to work, it decided to be cooperative this time.

Here are the jeans I made to match the dog shirt -- all appliques are Heather's. I planned on putting some small paw prints scattered about too, but dd wanted to wear them right away so in the essence of time, no paw prints.
DSCF7017.jpg

DSCF7019.jpg

And the wolf shirt and skirt -- I love these designs from AZ Embroidery Barn because they stitch out so fast! I also wasn't keen on the fabric for the under layer of the skirt, but wanted to use from my stash. Once finished though I think it looks really nice together.

DSCF7014.jpg

DSCF7013.jpg

Thanks for looking and now you all know I didn't crawl in a hole and quit sewing. And I'm excited to sew and embroider again so I plan on doing more this week.

So I was introduced to your amazing talents through a MAW child I was a wish granter for. I was wondering if any of you have your own businesses where you sell custom shirts/items? I do not sew nor own a sewing machine. We are going back to Disney in May with my 10yr old, 9 month old (will be her 1st time) & would love to get some shirts made. Thanks!

So I was introduced to your amazing talents through a MAW child I was a wish granter for. I was wondering if any of you have your own businesses where you sell custom shirts/items? I do not sew nor own a sewing machine. We are going back to Disney in May with my 10yr old, 9 month old (will be her 1st time) & would love to get some shirts made. Thanks!

It is against the rules to sell/promote selling on the board. If you look at the signature lines at the bottom of posts you can see some of the ladies Etsy or Ebay names. I do not sell but I have used the names and searched and many of these ladies have awesome stuff!!!! :goodvibes

*Forgot to add~You can also send a message to a specific person whose work you like and find out if they make items for others.

Needleworks is free and lets you open/view PES files on your mac. It also installs so they are viewable in the finder, but you have to unzip them. I beleive the embrilliance thumbnailer sees into the ZIPs, I know Embrilliance Essentials does. I have all my files organized by categories then sub folders inside. Like I have holidays then inside christmas, easter, st. Patricks day, valentines, etc. And same with Disney. I don't keep them by designer, but I keep all my emails in my gmail account so I can search for the name of the file in gmail.com and find the email from whomever I purchased it from.

Needleworks is free.

:tiptoe: I can't believe I haven't logged in here in almost a month. I really haven't done much sewing either :( And dare I say it but I think we are going to wear some of the same shirts from last year :scared1:

WTMTQ.... but everything posted is adorable :goodvibes

Flora :hug: So sorry about your Aunt.

Embroidery people, where are your fave sites to get Disney Appliquees?

I have frou frou, lynnie pinnie, kenziemac sites bookmarked, but I'm looking for more Disney sites.

Thanks

DivasDoodles and SweetPeas place are some that I didn't see mentioned.

QUESTION

Does anyone have an over the door ironing board? I would really like one to save space in my sewing/laundry/kitty bath room but I am worried that they might all be too flimsy for my needs. If you have one please let me know your thoughts.

And also, irons were discussed a while back -- does anyone remember how long ago? I'd like to go back and reread that section b/c tomorrow I will be able to afford a new iron.
!

I have the same thing as Diane. It is an over the door holder for your ironing board.

I keep mine organized by type, but I rename the files too because I put who the designer is.

On another note, i finished my under-the-sea baby quilt this morning, i love the way it turned out. It is not often that i am sad when i ship stuff off, but i will definitely miss this one.

now i have all these ideas to do other versions of this quilt with appliques. I am thinking mickey/minnie next. I know i have plenty of fabrics for that on hand even. :)

I love this quilt! Every bit of it. I would love to pick your brain about measurements. I am making a pirate themed quilt for my son.

Is anyone on FB and on the Disney Destash page? I'm trying to find it but coming up empty, if you could PM me a link I would so appreciate.
found it.
I ended up buying the Applique Avenue set. It was a good deal and hopefully I will use some of the designs. I like the designs from Just Peachy and they do stitch out well. My issue is that 3 of the designs she sent me were empty files. They must have been corrupted somehow. I tried to download them twice and the same thing happened both times. I contacted her to ask her to email them to me instead of getting them from the website and I never heard back from her.

It looks like a great machine. I wish I could read the features but I'm sure it does everything! My high school French isn't good enough to read the description. LOL!

I bought the applique ave set too!
Here is the link to the features in English. http://www.elna.com/en-ca/model_sewing_experience-540.php

Erin - Congrats on the new machine for you and your mom to share. It is nice that you and your mom have a shared hobby. I don't have the 770 so I'm not sure about the extra hoops. I know other like having the extra 5X7 hoop so they can hoop while something else is stitching out. I do have a 4x4 hoop for my machine and I use it for smaller items and small ITH projects so I don't have to use as much stabilizer.

:rotfl2: or just pinning stuff on Pinterest that I want to make.

Ha ha ha,

uh first question, where do I buy 3000 Disney designs???? lol
I keep them all in folders categorized by stuff like fall, Halloween, Christmas, girlie, animals, boy, etc... I also have a Disney Folder and in that folder I categorize all the Disney stuff in more folders, princess, Christmas, cruise, monsters inc, mouse heads etc... each design is subfoldered within those folders including a picture and separated by size.... confused lol :confused3 Probably not the best way but so far it works and I don't have a ton of designs. I kinda wish I had kept designers separated and I may start doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter