Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

QUESTION:

So apparently I was totally disillusioned! I thought that the PE770 came with the 4x4 and 5x7 hoops and could do those designs. I THOUGHT that if I got the bigger hoops I would be able to do bigger designs. Apparently I was wrong. :headache: anyways so that aside. A lot of people have mentioned hoop envy, and getting the eclipse set of hoops. What are reasons that people get the other set of hoops?

I need to decide if I really want to get the other hoops or not.
Thanks
Erin

Hi Erin,

I have a PE-770 and the Eclipse hoops. I find them extremely useful because I do lots of 4x4 stuff (those charms I made, for example) and onesies. I also like having a second 5x7 so I can have the next shirt hooped and ready while one is on the machine. I hooped two at the same time the other day when I made the dragon shirts. I've only used the multi-positional (5x12) hoop once on a shirt for my husband. You probably know, you can't do a larger design, but you can add words or do two designs next to each other if you have software to split the design. I've never used that tiny circle hoop.

Hope that helps! And congrats on the new machine! Pics??

Regards,
C.

Hi Erin,
Where is this store located? I am hoping it is between you and me so that I can take my machine there when it needs servicing as I don't like my local store either and I haven't found anyone else who will service it, not that I have looked around a lot either.

Is the Fabric District in T.O? I thought I knew all the places around here so it must be an hour from you in the other direction! Lol!

Hey, it's Nova in Hamilton. just take the 403 in, it shouldn't bee too bad for you. An hour to an hour and a half I think. The guy you want to talk to is Shawn. I'm pretty sure he is the owner. I was pretty impressed with him. I feel better about taking it in to him. Doesn't take too long either, he said maybe 2 days.

I haven't been feeling great the past couple of days and as a result my pocketbook has taken quite a hit. Since I have been taking it easy, I have spent a lot of time online...and buying all kinds of designs for my embroidery machine, both appliqué and embroidery. One person had 80% off, so I got a ton of her stuff. Then several other sites had sales, so I took advantage of those. But I love everything I got and can't wait to stitch some of them out. I fear I'm addicted.:rotfl:

It is a bit harder to find cute things for boys, but since my only grandson won't wear anything I make, I guess it doesn't matter for me. Maybe when he turns 4 he'll have a change of heart!:confused3

I am sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I can't wait to see pictures of projects using the designs you bought!

I hope your grandson will decide to wear grandma's handiwork soon!

Here are the dragon shirts I made last night and today for my boys. I've 'owed' them some non-Disney shirts since Christmas and they helped pick the fabrics from my stash. I added the quote from Tolkien because "Do not meddle with the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." wouldn't fit. ;)

th_IMG_5416.jpg

Oh, btw, I was having terrible bird's nests the other day and my PE-770 has been acting up and making a funny noise whenever the carriage moved through a certain spot. After opening up the throat plate, and removing the bobbin case twice(!), I found the cause of all my woes. A tiny piece of stabilizer had gotten stuck to the inside of the bobbin race. It was slowly growing by collecting lint and thread bits, but the first time I looked, I mistook it for something that was supposed to be there. You know how there are tiny felt or fuzzy areas that are actually part of the machine? It looked like one of those until I touched it and some black plaque came off and I realized it was not supposed to be there.

Anyway, we've all heard a lot about looking for a stray thread when a machine is acting up, but I thought it might be useful to have another possibility to look for if you ever have a similar problem. :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Regards,
C.

Great job on the shirts and thank you for sharing your experience with solving your "bird nest" problem. I imagine someone will find it useful!

This thread has raged while I wasn't here. So many cute things, too many to count nevermind respond to all. But I am always so impressed with everyone's stuff.

I had to take a break from sewing so I could get my house packed up some to get it listed and be good enough to show. Almost done, the little things are killing me. Meanwhile, I had to start making my DD's Sailor Moon costume for Anime Con since it's coming up quick. I realized that when cutting it out we made a few mistakes but nothing that is not fixable. I didn't cut or even know it required netting for the skirt and we accidentally cut out a white sailor's collar instead of blue. It's been interesting to sew since I used shirting fabric for all of it.

Also, I know that most of you don't do Big 3 patterns but this one looks so cute and fun that I thought some of you might like it.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-8883-childs-top-skirt.aspx#

I hope your house will sell quickly. I can't wait to see pictures of the costume!

I am still MIA here it seems...I am at least lurking even if not posting!

Today is a kind of emotional day for me. Today marks the anniversary of my Grand Princess first surgery in the round of surgeries we went through last year. She was born with club foot and wore casts on her leg for the first six months of her life. When that didn't work she had her first surgery to reconstruct her heel. The heel was originally on the top of her foot. Before she was two she had had 3 more surgeries, and at least one every year after that until last year.

They removed a large section of bone and replaced it with a metal rod. So her foot would turn in the right direction) Then on the foot itself, they replaced one bone with another metal rod and some pins to hold it. On all the other surgeries she was always feeling better by the second or third day and was either crawling or walking around with her cast within a week. Last year was different. She had to be on so much pain that she was on Lortab constantly. At the three week mark, they discovered she had a bad infection in the bone and had to go in and remove more bone and infection ...this started the downward spiral. After that they were having to go in at least once a week to remove the infection. Having a 5 year old go into surgery once a week was pretty bad.
Somewhere around the 2 month mark, they decided to add a wound vac to help keep the infection away...this meant she had to go into surgery 3 times a week for the next 6 months! During that time she lost two more bones in her foot. There was a space of several months that we were hopeful that she would not loose her foot. She was on several different antibiotics. The wound would not heal.

The infection she had was in the same family as the flesh eating bacteria...but just enough different that it did not spread to other parts of her body. We were very lucky and thankful for that!

She has now been infection free for a little over a month, but will be on antibiotics for at least another year as a precaution. The wound has healed, but there is a large 'hole' where the infection was... at least a half inch deep and an inch or so around. Her foot is about three inches shorter than her other foot and will never grow because the bone that dies was part of her growth plates. She will have to have another surgery in about a year to have some spacers put in to lengthen her foot. This will have to be repeated every year or so until she stops growing.

Sorry... this was supposed to be a quick update...but then again I can never write just a little bit!

Other than her crazy limp, you would never know anything had ever happened and she is back to her wonderful crazy self! She is a bit upset that we are taking two trips to Disney this year and she only gets to go on one...but she is having fun planning the trip with us.

Last June we went to the beach...her favorite spot (next to Disney) and she still had the wound vac on so could not go in the water to play at the beach...so we promised her a do over. This year the WHOLE family is headed to the beach in August for her "birthday" ( a few days early...). We have rented a big beach house in Destin. She is REALLY excited about that!

Sorry so long...but if you count the number of words...it sort of makes up for not writing more often...LOL!

Nini

Thank you for sharing your granddaugther's journey in the last year with us Nini. It is heart breaking to hear all the pain and surgeries she went through, and will have to face as she continues to grow. I hope your family will have a wonderful time at Disney and at the beach. I am sure everyone deserves a nice time off.

So yesterday we were looking at the elna 520 that was at my local shop for $650. yes Pricey and WAY over budget for what I wanted, but I LOVED the computerized feature. I likely would not have gotten it but I liked the computer model, so easy! My mom brought in her old Kenmore to be serviced. It's over 30 years old and has NEVER been serviced. It needs some work and they estimated $100-$125 not bad, she could trade it in and get $50 off a new machine, but it is a good solid machine and works well so she wasn't sure. So last night my parents were talking and my dad agreed (Keep in mind I still live at home) that my mom could buy a new machine and that rather than ME buying a new machine, she would buy the new machine and I would pay for the service on her old one. We will both use the new machine and if we need it at the same time, she will use her old one.

Well we decided to go to another city today and look to see what they had. We found a better model of elna the 530 (more stitches and options) for $500! it was regularly $900 I think. It was a demo so he was selling for $500. so we got it! I am amazed at it. yesterday the lady at the first store showed us how the 520 could sew through 2 layers of denim no problem at all. The guy today laughed and sewed through 8 layers of denim! it looks like it was so smooth I'm excited!

We chatted about my PE770 and he was amazed at what a great deal I got! Anything he had that could compare was around $1500. We also found out that he used to work for Brother as a traveling service guy or something and he said to bring it to him for any servicing. I feel more confident in him than our local store, because he sells and services other brother machines. Our local store doesn't sell brothers at all.
He said when I was ready for a higher model, I could trade it in for just about what I paid for it if not more! I don't know if he was serious, but it is certainly something to consider somewhere down the line.

Wow! Congratulations on the new machine! Please share pictures of it!

Is the Fabric District in T.O? I thought I knew all the places around here so it must be an hour from you in the other direction! Lol!

I remember Ottawa Street in Hamilton being a fabric district (my mother-in-law and I used to go there as a girls' trip when we lived in London). They had more upholstery type fabric than quilting or fashion fabric though.

I remember Ottawa Street in Hamilton being a fabric district (my mother-in-law and I used to go there as a girls' trip when we lived in London). They had more upholstery type fabric than quilting or fashion fabric though.

Hi,
Yes it is definitely still more upholstery I think, and some shops that I don't go in to lol, but there is a big fabricland, and other stores that sell quilting and fashion now. Probably 4 or 5 that I can think of that we went to today which had a decent assortment of quilting/fashion fabric.

Here are the dragon shirts I made last night and today for my boys. I've 'owed' them some non-Disney shirts since Christmas and they helped pick the fabrics from my stash. I added the quote from Tolkien because "Do not meddle with the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." wouldn't fit. ;)

th_IMG_5416.jpg

Oh, btw, I was having terrible bird's nests the other day and my PE-770 has been acting up and making a funny noise whenever the carriage moved through a certain spot. After opening up the throat plate, and removing the bobbin case twice(!), I found the cause of all my woes. A tiny piece of stabilizer had gotten stuck to the inside of the bobbin race. It was slowly growing by collecting lint and thread bits, but the first time I looked, I mistook it for something that was supposed to be there. You know how there are tiny felt or fuzzy areas that are actually part of the machine? It looked like one of those until I touched it and some black plaque came off and I realized it was not supposed to be there.

Anyway, we've all heard a lot about looking for a stray thread when a machine is acting up, but I thought it might be useful to have another possibility to look for if you ever have a similar problem. :)

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Regards,
C.

Those shirts are adorable! Love that they picked out their fabric. Thanks for the tip on the stabilizer. My thread kept breaking yesterday and i took things apart to see if there was something inside, but didn't see anything. Maybe I'll take another look.

I am still MIA here it seems...I am at least lurking even if not posting!

Today is a kind of emotional day for me. Today marks the anniversary of my Grand Princess first surgery in the round of surgeries we went through last year. She was born with club foot and wore casts on her leg for the first six months of her life. When that didn't work she had her first surgery to reconstruct her heel. The heel was originally on the top of her foot. Before she was two she had had 3 more surgeries, and at least one every year after that until last year.

They removed a large section of bone and replaced it with a metal rod. So her foot would turn in the right direction) Then on the foot itself, they replaced one bone with another metal rod and some pins to hold it. On all the other surgeries she was always feeling better by the second or third day and was either crawling or walking around with her cast within a week. Last year was different. She had to be on so much pain that she was on Lortab constantly. At the three week mark, they discovered she had a bad infection in the bone and had to go in and remove more bone and infection ...this started the downward spiral. After that they were having to go in at least once a week to remove the infection. Having a 5 year old go into surgery once a week was pretty bad.
Somewhere around the 2 month mark, they decided to add a wound vac to help keep the infection away...this meant she had to go into surgery 3 times a week for the next 6 months! During that time she lost two more bones in her foot. There was a space of several months that we were hopeful that she would not loose her foot. She was on several different antibiotics. The wound would not heal.

The infection she had was in the same family as the flesh eating bacteria...but just enough different that it did not spread to other parts of her body. We were very lucky and thankful for that!

She has now been infection free for a little over a month, but will be on antibiotics for at least another year as a precaution. The wound has healed, but there is a large 'hole' where the infection was... at least a half inch deep and an inch or so around. Her foot is about three inches shorter than her other foot and will never grow because the bone that dies was part of her growth plates. She will have to have another surgery in about a year to have some spacers put in to lengthen her foot. This will have to be repeated every year or so until she stops growing.

Sorry... this was supposed to be a quick update...but then again I can never write just a little bit!

Other than her crazy limp, you would never know anything had ever happened and she is back to her wonderful crazy self! She is a bit upset that we are taking two trips to Disney this year and she only gets to go on one...but she is having fun planning the trip with us.

Last June we went to the beach...her favorite spot (next to Disney) and she still had the wound vac on so could not go in the water to play at the beach...so we promised her a do over. This year the WHOLE family is headed to the beach in August for her "birthday" ( a few days early...). We have rented a big beach house in Destin. She is REALLY excited about that!

Sorry so long...but if you count the number of words...it sort of makes up for not writing more often...LOL!

Nini

Oh how sad. And how hard it must be to watch such a little one have to go through all that! Thanks for sharing. Don't think your post is too long. We want to keep updated and some of us...me...had no clue what had been going on since I've only been active on here for a year or so. Sounds like she has a great attitude!:goodvibes

So yesterday we were looking at the elna 520 that was at my local shop for $650. yes Pricey and WAY over budget for what I wanted, but I LOVED the computerized feature. I likely would not have gotten it but I liked the computer model, so easy! My mom brought in her old Kenmore to be serviced. It's over 30 years old and has NEVER been serviced. It needs some work and they estimated $100-$125 not bad, she could trade it in and get $50 off a new machine, but it is a good solid machine and works well so she wasn't sure. So last night my parents were talking and my dad agreed (Keep in mind I still live at home) that my mom could buy a new machine and that rather than ME buying a new machine, she would buy the new machine and I would pay for the service on her old one. We will both use the new machine and if we need it at the same time, she will use her old one.

Well we decided to go to another city today and look to see what they had. We found a better model of elna the 530 (more stitches and options) for $500! it was regularly $900 I think. It was a demo so he was selling for $500. so we got it! I am amazed at it. yesterday the lady at the first store showed us how the 520 could sew through 2 layers of denim no problem at all. The guy today laughed and sewed through 8 layers of denim! it looks like it was so smooth I'm excited!

We chatted about my PE770 and he was amazed at what a great deal I got! Anything he had that could compare was around $1500. We also found out that he used to work for Brother as a traveling service guy or something and he said to bring it to him for any servicing. I feel more confident in him than our local store, because he sells and services other brother machines. Our local store doesn't sell brothers at all.
He said when I was ready for a higher model, I could trade it in for just about what I paid for it if not more! I don't know if he was serious, but it is certainly something to consider somewhere down the line.

Congrats on the shared new machine! That was a great idea. I know you'll put it to good use! It's also great you found a person to service your 770 that you trust. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to see some things you make.

I'm really running late and need to get off this computer and get the family up for church services...and I forgot to grab the quote...

I have used that tiny little round hoop to hoop tiny little new born onesies, ribbons and socks!

I think it might have been last year there was a freebie design somewhere of the peeps chicks...and I put them on some ribbon and socks for my grand princess for Easter...of course, she was not feeling herself so she didn't actually wear them...but her doll did!

Nini

Embroidery people, where are your fave sites to get Disney Appliquees?

I have frou frou, lynnie pinnie, kenziemac sites bookmarked, but I'm looking for more Disney sites.

Thanks

QUESTION

Does anyone have an over the door ironing board? I would really like one to save space in my sewing/laundry/kitty bath room but I am worried that they might all be too flimsy for my needs. If you have one please let me know your thoughts.

And also, irons were discussed a while back -- does anyone remember how long ago? I'd like to go back and reread that section b/c tomorrow I will be able to afford a new iron.

I am finally hoping to be able to sew some this week. I'm really in the mood to sew again and I think it''s still going to be too cold for my spring yard work (that desperately needs to get done) so I am hoping to accomplish finishing a skirt and shirt for dd and working on a BG.

LIZ: loved your collection of skirts!

GOTEAMWOOD (Sorry, I know your name but I'm drawing a blank): that is the cutest pic of your boys in their ST Pats shirt!

DIANE: Adorable dress!

And there are a million others but I am seriously headed upstairs now to do some laundry and then get sewing!

I have frou frou, lynnie pinnie, kenziemac sites bookmarked, but I'm looking for more Disney sites.

Thanks

Justpeachyapplique has some Mickey heads and is having a sale today, glitzy stitches (both on etsy and on the web), bows and clothes (have to email for access to characters), divas doodles, sweet peas place (also have to email for access) and right now appliqué ave is closing and has the whole collection for $10, includes a variety of Mickey heads and some other character like doc mcstuffins, yo Gabba Gabba, etc.

I'm sure there are others I am forgetting off the top of my head.

QUESTION

Does anyone have an over the door ironing board? I would really like one to save space in my sewing/laundry/kitty bath room but I am worried that they might all be too flimsy for my needs. If you have one please let me know your thoughts.

And also, irons were discussed a while back -- does anyone remember how long ago? I'd like to go back and reread that section b/c tomorrow I will be able to afford a new iron.

I am finally hoping to be able to sew some this week. I'm really in the mood to sew again and I think it''s still going to be too cold for my spring yard work (that desperately needs to get done) so I am hoping to accomplish finishing a skirt and shirt for dd and working on a BG.

LIZ: loved your collection of skirts!

GOTEAMWOOD (Sorry, I know your name but I'm drawing a blank): that is the cutest pic of your boys in their ST Pats shirt!

DIANE: Adorable dress!

And there are a million others but I am seriously headed upstairs now to do some laundry and then get sewing!

Thanks! I used to have an over-door, when my laundry room had a door... I thought it was fine, but it was about 2/3 length of a standard ironing board. I might get one again for space constraints.

I also got a new iron recently it was from amazon and had great reviews, it's black and decker digital advantage. It's working well. My old iron wasps very inconsistent. That one was the cheapest one I could get when I was in college, the new one was around $40 I think.

Jen

QUESTION

Hi Andrea - looks like the iron discussion started with the last post (#2880) on page 192.

I got a great deal (about 2/3 off) on a Shark X-Tended Steam Burst iron a couple years ago. I like that it heats up in seconds but it is much heavier than the Black & Decker ones that I had before.

Good luck!

Judy

How exciting about the new sewing machine. I am sure that you will just love it! Also it is great that you found somebody trustworthy to repair/service your PE770.

Hi Erin,

I've never used that tiny circle hoop.

Regards,
C.
The tiny little hoop is great for little girl's socks. I have only done a few but I think they turn out adorable when you do a little design and then add some ruffles or ribbons to match a dress. So cute with tiny little maryjanes!

Thanks
I also like Glitzystitches and I have several from Just Peachy. I am a little bit peeved with Just Peachy though because a few of her designs didn't download right. I tried to contact her at least twice and she never responded. Glitzystitches always responds very promptly and is extremely nice. I'm not crazy about Diva's Doodles, Bows and Clothes and Sweet Peas Place. The designs are cute but usually have very narrow satin stitches and also tons of thread changes that seem unnecessary.

QUESTION

I keep a regular ironing board in my sewing room because it gets so much use and I also often use it as my cutting counter too. I have an over the door ironing board in my laundry room. It isn't very stable and I don't really care for it. Also, we've had issues a couple of times when I have had the hot iron on it and somebody tried to open the door.

I just adore my Sunbeam iron. It is better than the expensive Rowenta iron that I bought. I think it was called the Sunbeam Burst of Steam?????

Justpeachyapplique has some Mickey heads and is having a sale today, glitzy stitches (both on etsy and on the web), bows and clothes (have to email for access to characters), divas doodles, sweet peas place (also have to email for access) and right now appliqué ave is closing and has the whole collection for $10, includes a variety of Mickey heads and some other character like doc mcstuffins, yo Gabba Gabba, etc.
Jen
I am going to check ou the Applique Avenue sale. Have you used her designs? How did they stitch out?

On Friday I put in a bid on ebay on a used Pfaff Coverlock machine. It was a super low bid (like less than 1/2 of what they generally sell for) so I never thought I would win, but I did. So now I have a Pfaff Coverlock machine on the way to my house. It is missing the power cord and foot control so I will have to order those. I can't get them until I see the shape of the plug connection. Since I already have a very nice serger, my plan is to leave this one set up to do the coverstitch. It gets very nice reviews. I am on the hunt for a reasonably priced binding foot attachment for it. The binding foot looks awesome!

Thanks

Those are the ones I have bookmarked as well. I seem to recall that there are others where you need to email the designer for the specific Disney designs (i.e. they have them but don't advertise them on their sites). I'd also like to know if there are others that I'm missing!

The tiny little hoop is great for little girl's socks. I have only done a few but I think they turn out adorable when you do a little design and then add some ruffles or ribbons to match a dress. So cute with tiny little maryjanes!

On Friday I put in a bid on ebay on a used Pfaff Coverlock machine. It was a super low bid (like less than 1/2 of what they generally sell for) so I never thought I would win, but I did. So now I have a Pfaff Coverlock machine on the way to my house. It is missing the power cord and foot control so I will have to order those. I can't get them until I see the shape of the plug connection. Since I already have a very nice serger, my plan is to leave this one set up to do the coverstitch. It gets very nice reviews. I am on the hunt for a reasonably priced binding foot attachment for it. The binding foot looks awesome!

Yay for winning the bid on the new machine!!:banana: I'm so serger illiterate, all I use mine for is to finish my raw edges. I don't even know what you mean by coverstitch! I don't even know what I don't know. You know?:rotfl:

I would love to do something on little girl's socks. I'm a bit intimidated about something like that until I get a little more practice under my belt. Sorry for the tease about getting some designs for 80% off. I haven't stitched any of them out yet, but at 40cents and 80cents, I decided to take a chance. It was Applique Momma who had the sale. Nothing Disney, though. Here's a link where I found her: http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/Specials.aspx

Those are the ones I have bookmarked as well. I seem to recall that there are others where you need to email the designer for the specific Disney designs (i.e. they have them but don't advertise them on their sites). I'd also like to know if there are others that I'm missing!

VTU on Facebook (Very Truly Yours I think?) Is a group you need approval for, I haven't every bought anything but it looks like a good princess selection. I don't do much with princesses. ;)
I also got a bunch of stuff from Nobbie Neez which is a FB one you "friend" and she has specials that are limited to the first 3 who respond type thing. I have gotten a bunch from her, she had a deal with a boutique CD with a TON of designs on it, but I can't say I was thrilled with the way they stitch. I have had a TON of issues with them, I had an elmo I used that was so thick with the satin stitch it was making the machine thump and shimmy something awful, I just bought Heathresue's elmo and haven't looked back.

I also like Glitzystitches and I have several from Just Peachy. I am a little bit peeved with Just Peachy though because a few of her designs didn't download right. I tried to contact her at least twice and she never responded. Glitzystitches always responds very promptly and is extremely nice. I'm not crazy about Diva's Doodles, Bows and Clothes and Sweet Peas Place. The designs are cute but usually have very narrow satin stitches and also tons of thread changes that seem unnecessary.

I am going to check ou the Applique Avenue sale. Have you used her designs? How did they stitch out?

Congrats on the new machine. I very nearly bought myself an Innovis 4000d last night on ebay then I realized that even though it was a great price I don't actually have that money so I resisted. And my hubby isn't ob board with upgrading my machine since it is only a little more than 6 months old. (but 4.7 million stitches!)

I used the Applique Ave "Boo" when I made my friend's Monsters inc shirt:
And I just recently stitched out the mickey head with the split red/black with the buttons and I really liked that. The others I have not tried.

I am sorry about your issues with just peachy. I use a lot of her stuff in my etsy shop and have been happy with the way it stitches out. I like the wider satin stitch. I belong to a group appliqué herald on facebook which I think she helps administer and have gotten good responses through there. I know she just moved recently and was without internet access for a couple weeks.

Here is today's project before I take my embroidery machine in for service (it's fine but I feel like it needs maintenance. I have almost 5 Million stitches and Just got it in July.) These are Easter/Trip to Sunny Florida presents for my boys.The East fits as shorts I had done before captain america fully stitched out! Hulk's hair was all fill stitch too so it took forever. My boys are almost obsessed with superheroes as they are with Disney so they are going to LOVE these sets. And even though Easter is at the end of the trip I am just going to give them to them early so they can actually wear them when it is warm because who knows if/when it will ever warm up here in Chicago!

And this is a fun birthday set I made for a friend's twin daughters. She wanted them to go together, but one daughter is really into princesses and the other spiderman. So I used doc mcstuffins pigtails from lynnie pinnie on just peachy's spiderman and girly-ed it up with pink cupcakes to match her sister. I think it is cute and fun and I hope the little spiderman-loving girl loves it.

Now time to start packing for our trip, we leave Wednesday morning, driving to Alabama first to see my husband's cousin, then on to Orlando to see a friend (and breakfast at 'Ohana on Saturday!) before ultimately on to an island near Ft. Meyers my father in law lives that sells itself as an island without a beach. W/ two 3-year-olds. Should be interesting. Oh and I am told he has fire ants and poison ivy in his yard. Yikes!

Is anyone on FB and on the Disney Destash page? I'm trying to find it but coming up empty, if you could PM me a link I would so appreciate.

:wave2:

Sorry I haven't been back on to update on my sewing machine, life got super busy and my new pain and inflammation meds are throwing me for a loop (feel like I had a lobotomy!).

Sooooo....went to my grandpa's house to find my grandmother's sewing machine and other items and it was crazy! Some stuff in the guest room, some tucked in closets, some stuff in her previous craft room in piles, stacks, shelves, and then some in the attic!!! There was nothing together and I have a sewing machine that I think is missing parts?!? :confused3 So I convinced hubby I needed a new machine to learn on and then once I understand a machine I can figure out the old machine and I'll use it too. :thumbsup2

So I ordered and now have a Brother CS6000i :cool1:. I have used some spare fabric to play with it but haven't really worked on it too much. Need more scrap fabric to practice stitching on. I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow, still need to name her. And the Brother PE770 is on sale on Amazon right now and I think I've convinced hubby to let me buy her (taxes came and we have been building our savings so I have the cash available, he doesn't need a new gun, LOL)...I really really want to be able to embroider on fabrics!!! :) So a trip to a fabric store is in order for fabric and thread for my first project!!!! :hyper:

What would you ladies recommend as a good beginner project for a complete sewing novice? I am so thankful I found this group and now will have a new hobby! I am as always in awe of everyone's work! :worship:

Sorry so long of a post! Hope everyone has a great week :goodvibes

Hi,
Yes it is definitely still more upholstery I think, and some shops that I don't go in to lol, but there is a big fabricland, and other stores that sell quilting and fashion now. Probably 4 or 5 that I can think of that we went to today which had a decent assortment of quilting/fashion fabric.

That's good to know, though my odds of going there again is quite small.

QUESTION

I don't have any suggestions for ironing board or iron, but I am happy to hear that you are getting back to sewing!

Jen

Thanks for the info about these other options for applique, though it may be bad for my wallet! :rotfl:

Congratulations on the machine! I am sure you are very excited! Please post a picture when you get it!

Here is today's project before I take my embroidery machine in for service (it's fine but I feel like it needs maintenance. I have almost 5 Million stitches and Just got it in July.) These are Easter/Trip to Sunny Florida presents for my boys.The East fits as shorts I had done before captain america fully stitched out! Hulk's hair was all fill stitch too so it took forever. My boys are almost obsessed with superheroes as they are with Disney so they are going to LOVE these sets. And even though Easter is at the end of the trip I am just going to give them to them early so they can actually wear them when it is warm because who knows if/when it will ever warm up here in Chicago!

And this is a fun birthday set I made for a friend's twin daughters. She wanted them to go together, but one daughter is really into princesses and the other spiderman. So I used doc mcstuffins pigtails from lynnie pinnie on just peachy's spiderman and girly-ed it up with pink cupcakes to match her sister. I think it is cute and fun and I hope the little spiderman-loving girl loves it.

Now time to start packing for our trip, we leave Wednesday morning, driving to Alabama first to see my husband's cousin, then on to Orlando to see a friend (and breakfast at 'Ohana on Saturday!) before ultimately on to an island near Ft. Meyers my father in law lives that sells itself as an island without a beach. W/ two 3-year-olds. Should be interesting. Oh and I am told he has fire ants and poison ivy in his yard. Yikes!

Great job on the clothes you made today. I am sure you are very excited about your trip. I hope you will have a great time at 'Ohana - we have only been there for dinner.

:wave2:

Sorry I haven't been back on to update on my sewing machine, life got super busy and my new pain and inflammation meds are throwing me for a loop (feel like I had a lobotomy!).

Sooooo....went to my grandpa's house to find my grandmother's sewing machine and other items and it was crazy! Some stuff in the guest room, some tucked in closets, some stuff in her previous craft room in piles, stacks, shelves, and then some in the attic!!! There was nothing together and I have a sewing machine that I think is missing parts?!? :confused3 So I convinced hubby I needed a new machine to learn on and then once I understand a machine I can figure out the old machine and I'll use it too. :thumbsup2

So I ordered and now have a Brother CS6000i :cool1:. I have used some spare fabric to play with it but haven't really worked on it too much. Need more scrap fabric to practice stitching on. I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow, still need to name her. And the Brother PE770 is on sale on Amazon right now and I think I've convinced hubby to let me buy her (taxes came and we have been building our savings so I have the cash available, he doesn't need a new gun, LOL)...I really really want to be able to embroider on fabrics!!! :) So a trip to a fabric store is in order for fabric and thread for my first project!!!! :hyper:

What would you ladies recommend as a good beginner project for a complete sewing novice? I am so thankful I found this group and now will have a new hobby! I am as always in awe of everyone's work! :worship:

Sorry so long of a post! Hope everyone has a great week :goodvibes

I am glad that you got your machine. I am sure you will have lots of fun creating with it. Please post a picture when you get a chance!

Hi Erin,

I have a PE-770 and the Eclipse hoops. I find them extremely useful because I do lots of 4x4 stuff (those charms I made, for example) and onesies. I also like having a second 5x7 so I can have the next shirt hooped and ready while one is on the machine. I hooped two at the same time the other day when I made the dragon shirts. I've only used the multi-positional (5x12) hoop once on a shirt for my husband. You probably know, you can't do a larger design, but you can add words or do two designs next to each other if you have software to split the design. I've never used that tiny circle hoop.

Hope that helps! And congrats on the new machine! Pics??

Regards,
C.
Thanks, will post below

Congrats on the shared new machine! That was a great idea. I know you'll put it to good use! It's also great you found a person to service your 770 that you trust. :thumbsup2 Can't wait to see some things you make.

I really need to get more sewing time. I really do sew instead of JUST buy stuff lol.

Jen

Thanks!

How exciting about the new sewing machine. I am sure that you will just love it! Also it is great that you found somebody trustworthy to repair/service your PE770.

!
Thanks. I wondered about a couple of my just peachy's as I was going through them and cataloging.

I also like cute by Kira, digital by design on Facebook.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter