Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Everything turned out just great! The bags were a big hit over on Trevor's PTR. I saw the pictures and the kids seemed to love your pixie dust bags!

The pre-shirred fabric is easy to use and makes some cute dresses. Your bunny dress turned out super. You are really catching on to sewing quickly! And we've all made the same mistake with directional fabrics. You can just tell him the Lightening McQueen is looking up at him!

The simply sweet is a bit tricky to get on and off but is such a cute style. I sew a bunch of them. Once you get to be a more proficient seamstress there are a bunch of modifications that you can do to make it easier to get one and off. You can make the back bigger and shirr it yourself to give it some room. Or you can make the larger size but add a couple of rows of elastic under the arms. A couple of times I changed the bodice to make it corseted.

I will see if I have a couple of pictures to show you.

Here is one that I did last week with the shirred back:
P2200065_zps01119021.jpg

This one has a corseted front:
PC170137.jpg

Here is another one with the shirred back:
P9300048.jpg

I can't find any pictures of the Simply Sweets that I have done with the elastic on the sides. But basically I just make the larger size of the simply sweet and insert a few rows of elastic between the fashion fabric and the lining in the bodice.

LOL! I said the same things!

But they are cute and easy to wear once they get them on.[/QUOTE]

I love the shirred back on the simply sweet. That will definitely be on my list of projects to try down the road :)

And Mr. R. (Short for Rocket) is a 1961 Singer Rocketeer (503A)... He is my appliquer, and to say he is a finicky and tempermental man would be an understatement. :laughing:

IMG_224115.jpg

Whoa! This looks a lot like Millie. Just a wee bit different. Mine has knobs on the front to change the stitch style! You are right, she is sturdy... "big boned" I suppose! :rotfl:

I'd just like to say that your sewing corner is super pretty with all of the thread in a row! Wow... now I am coming to grips with the realization that my sewing area is a hot mess... lol!!

I love my sewing machine, and it would be great to learn how to applique with her! I haven't tried that yet. Not sure if I'd be as good as all of you, though!

Here is an apron skirt I made that goes over a pink petticoat dress. I actually copied it off of something I saw on Etsy (sorry)... but I was like... "I can make it cheaper." It is not finished in these pics.

After these photos were taken, I made two large pink rosettes and attached them in such a way to keep the top layer of tulle from riding up. I am going to make a matching hair piece. Not on the top of my list of things to do at the moment though...

I DID just buy a very well made dress off of Etsy recently. It had such a beautifully embroidered/appliqued Cinderella on it, I could not resist.

2_DSCN6068.jpg

2_DSCN6062.jpg

He doesn't remember the trip but the kids love to watch the videos of our Disney trip "when Curtis had no hair".

:rotfl:

Awe!!! I am so happy he had a good time! I am kind of nervous, because we are usually GO GO GO while at Disney. It will be a different pace, for sure. I can only hope she naps in her stroller. She has only ever taken, like, 20 minute cat naps in strollers before. It should be interesting. :worried:

Here is an apron skirt I made that goes over a pink petticoat dress. I actually copied it off of something I saw on Etsy (sorry)... but I was like... "I can make it cheaper." It is not finished in these pics.

After these photos were taken, I made two large pink rosettes and attached them in such a way to keep the top layer of tulle from riding up. I am going to make a matching hair piece. Not on the top of my list of things to do at the moment though...

I DID just buy a very well made dress off of Etsy recently. It had such a beautifully embroidered/appliqued Cinderella on it, I could not resist.

th_2_DSCN6068.jpg

th_2_DSCN6062.jpg

The skirt is very pretty.

Just wanted to Share... My friend asked me to make her daughter a Boo shirt and so I decided on a skirt as well. It came out cute! it is a monster (mike?) on the skirt. It's not a great picture I was in too much of a rush to take one (what else is new). It's the ruffled pop skirt, I love it!

Best of all Annabelle loved it.

Now my embroidery machine and I aren't getting along very well at times. It makes me nuts how it works perfectly fine one second and not the next.
I have come up with a name for it since it is so darn Tempermental! I'm calling it Temperance (or Tempy for short) Argh.

th_20130305_083645_zps7653c2c1.jpg

Temperance...I love it!! That outfit is super cute! No wonder little Annabelle loved it. Great job!

Thank you all for the welcomes. I spent the past few days skimming through the thread getting more and more inspired. I also requested to join the Big Give group even though I'm not sure what exactly I could contribute since I've done all of two projects so far. However, mito is a cause dear to my heart as I have a friend with a 4 year old son who is a mito warrior. Hoping I can find some way to contribute.

I just did my 2nd pillowcase dress today and it turned out a lot better than the first. I believe the first may have to be worn as a shirt because I flipped it sideways when sewing. Whoops.

It's also good to see some older sewing machines in the group here as I'm currently using one that I borrowed from my grandmother that is older than I am.

I was going to say that many on here have vintage machines and they tend to sew a lot better and are more reliable than the newer ones. But D~ spoke so eloquently about the vintage machines (she does love her Patience and Mr. R!!) that anything I might have added would be superfluous.

I had to laugh about flipping your dress sideways. I think that's how a lot of new patterns are born! :rotfl:

Just dropping by with a quick :wave2:

I only had time to skim back a few pages but wanted to say I saw some really neat things!

FLORA: Congrats on the new machine!!!! It looks awesome. Let's see, our RI mortgage will be paid of in a couple of weeks and our the mortgage on our house here only has two years left..... and the kids don't really need to go to college ever, do they? :rotfl2:

I have signed up for a BG to get me back in the groove of sewing but today and tomorrow I still have a few things to tie up for our upcoming closing, but eventually I'll be a better participant here.

And I tried to get my dd to wear her Suess outfit to school this week and was told it was too babyish :sad::sad::sad: Well, at least she wore it a couple of times last year.

I'm so glad to hear that the closing is soon. The inspection must have gone well. It's so great to get that extra house payment off of your shoulders! And to look forward to paying off your current house in just two years is fantastic!! :cool1:

It is sad when they grow up to the point where they won't wear some of the things you love. In a few years, you'll be sewing dresses for dances. That's a whole other ball game! ::yes::

Thank you everyone for your congrats on getting Genie. The reason why we call him Genie is because he is DH's favourite character and he certainly creates magic! Genie can do up to 8x14 and he can stitch out a 5x7 design in about 30 minutes at 600 stitches per minute. He can go up to 1000 stitches per minute but he shakes the house too much when he is going that fast (my sewing room in on the 2nd floor). The best thing is that I can have him set up for the satin stitches and walk away (or work on my sewing machine) while he works on the satin stitches. I only come back to it when it is all done!

I haven't had much time to play with Genie lately as I lost my aunt very suddenly 3 days after getting Genie home. My parents, aunts, uncles, sister, and cousin were in town for the funeral. I am still doing quite a bit of entertaining this week so I don't have much energy to sew. Maybe next week...

Flora, I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt's sudden passing. :hug: It can be so draining to go through all of that, plus having family to entertain. I'm sure it was a comfort to have everyone close though. I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Your machine sounds amazing! It really can do so much and it's great that you don't have to babysit it and can do something else. I think I would just stare at it in awe as it does its thing, though. At least at first! So happy for you!:goodvibes

th_2_DSCN6068.jpg

th_2_DSCN6062.jpg

Very cute! Nice job!

I keep forgetting to ask you, do you think your DD would be interested in sewing up a couple of lanyards for me? Would be an excuse for a TC dismeet too - ha ha. :wave2: I have them sitting around the house and just keep skipping to other projects. She's been sewing lanyards for some extra cash for WDW, right? Thought I read that somewhere, and then I saw this post and it reminded me. I have all of the materials, they are cut up, etc. but not the extra time, so I thought what the heck, I should check with you to see if she would be interested! Hope this isn't violating the DIS rules...

I will get with dd and ask her... Unfortunately, I have not been able to get her into the sewing room for weeks. :scared: I am hoping to for my March auction.

Whoa! This looks a lot like Millie. Just a wee bit different. Mine has knobs on the front to change the stitch style! You are right, she is sturdy... "big boned" I suppose! :rotfl:

I'd just like to say that your sewing corner is super pretty with all of the thread in a row! Wow... now I am coming to grips with the realization that my sewing area is a hot mess... lol!!

I love my sewing machine, and it would be great to learn how to applique with her! I haven't tried that yet. Not sure if I'd be as good as all of you, though!

My guess is that you have my dream machine of a Singer 401A. ::yes::

Try Heather's most awesome applique tutorial found on the first page - it's how I learned and the same basic way I do it. You will be appliqueing before you know it. :)

D~

Mickey_for_President said:
:rotfl:

Awe!!! I am so happy he had a good time! I am kind of nervous, because we are usually GO GO GO while at Disney. It will be a different pace, for sure. I can only hope she naps in her stroller. She has only ever taken, like, 20 minute cat naps in strollers before. It should be interesting. :worried:

We just went in oct/November for my twin boys 3rd birthday. I truly couldn't remember the last time they napped in the stroller before that. Maybe age 1? But they both fell asleep every single day while at Disney. Usually during it waiting for a parade. One even fell asleep in the middle of eating a mickey bar. (And ruined his outfit.) They slept thru every parade except one. It helped since we didn't have to try to go back to the room where they were too excited about lightning McQueen outside the window at aoa to sleep anyway.

:wave2: Have not mastered the multi-quote so I did this the long way!

disneychic2~Thank you for the welcome!

dianemom2~Thank you for fabric advice, I will be looking at the edges of fabric from here on out! I loved your casual dresses, I'm hoping to be able to make something similar once I get some experience under my belt. Looks like a great "everyday" dress for my girls!

PurpleEars~Condolences on the loss of your aunt. Love Genie!!! The Star Wars dresses are super cute, are they Simply Sweet? I plan on doing hand appliques when I get to that level and maybe some day invest in an embroidery machine.

Costumesaremylife~Would you be able to share how to make Tie Dye Mickey shirts with me? I think the shirts are awesome but I've never tie dyed before.

babynala~I LOVE the princess dress, all the beautiful appliques!!! I also love your Nemo items, my 2 year old adores Nemo. I can't wait to be able to make something for him that has Nemo!

ivey family~The charms are TDF! Such a great idea for a gift!!!

kellygirl2~Beautiful bags for the BG. I thought your shirred dresses and Cars shorts were awesome. I'm very scared of directional fabric so I've been looking at fabrics with random patterns so there is no "true" direction since I have zero experience in sewing.

goteamwood~You mentioned the Carla C bowling shirt a few posts back and once I get some experience in I so want to make some of these shirts for my youngest boys (2 and 4). So excited!!!

Tomorrow is the day!!! :cool1: I get to "meet" my machine! I've been working on a list of items I will need to have to begin sewing (sharp scissors for fabric only, pins and a pin cushion, thread, and a seam ripper). I've got some old worn out sheets and such to practice on at first. If any of you awesome sewing ladies :worship: have any other items I need to add to my beginner sewing supply list please let me know! I'm thrilled to have my "new" machine, such a great way to stay connected to my beloved grandma!

Happy Weekend to Everyone :banana::banana::banana:

We are going at the end of April, too. We are hoping for low crowds. This is the first time we will be taking a child so small... but the boys are ready to go again... and so we can't make them wait until Viola is older.
My girls were 3 and 4 when we took them the first time. We just paced ourselves so that we still had a good time. Neither of mine took naps in the strollers but we did have strollers so that they could rest.

Just wanted to Share... My friend asked me to make her daughter a Boo shirt and so I decided on a skirt as well. It came out cute! it is a monster (mike?) on the skirt.
20130305_083645_zps7653c2c1.jpg
Adorable! I'm sure she loved it since it turned out great!

Thanks Diane, Guess what I bough irelyn's peek aboo dress too! I fell in love with it and then a couple days later it was on sale, meant to be. It is hopefully my next project!
That's funny that you bought the same pattern. It is a pretty pattern. I also bought it when it was on sale. I have a bunch of new patterns that I can't wait to try out. And as if I didn't already have 4 or 5 new patterns, I couldn't resist a few things on the YCMT $5 sale. I bought a few more this morning. There are a couple of really good patterns on the sale including Carla's Precious dress and the Sisboom Cathy dress.

Thank you all for the welcomes. I spent the past few days skimming through the thread getting more and more inspired. I also requested to join the Big Give group even though I'm not sure what exactly I could contribute since I've done all of two projects so far.

I just did my 2nd pillowcase dress today and it turned out a lot better than the first. I believe the first may have to be worn as a shirt because I flipped it sideways when sewing. Whoops.
You don't have to sew to make things for the Big Give group. They often look for people who will do tie dye Mickey shirts or iron on Make A Wish shirts. Some people do scrap book pages or just send some pixie dust. Once you get a few more projects behind you, you will feel very excited about sewing for the Big Gives too.

I think that all of us have made a mistake or two like sewing things upside down, cutting out directional prints in the wrong direction, etc.

It looks awesome. Let's see, our RI mortgage will be paid of in a couple of weeks and our the mortgage on our house here only has two years left..... and the kids don't really need to go to college ever, do they? :rotfl2:

And I tried to get my dd to wear her Suess outfit to school this week and was told it was too babyish
I am so happy for you that the RI house is almost off your hands. I will be praying that everything goes smoothly and that the house soon belongs to a new family. And only 2 more years until you pay off your current mortgage is great!

At least Alexa didn't tell you to stop sewing for her completely. I hated when that happened to me. My girls are just starting to come around to liking what I sew again.

I haven't had much time to play with Genie lately as I lost my aunt very suddenly 3 days after getting Genie home. My parents, aunts, uncles, sister, and cousin were in town for the funeral. I am still doing quite a bit of entertaining this week so I don't have much energy to sew. Maybe next week...
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It is quite strenuous to have to entertain during a time when things are sad too.

It seriously never crossed my mind to have her step into the dress :) We tried that and it went on much easier!

Kelly
I am glad that Nini's tip helped you!

I love the shirred back on the simply sweet. That will definitely be on my list of projects to try down the road :)
Don't be afraid to try shirring. Some people seem to think it is going to be difficult but it is actually extremely simple. I just watched a couple of youtube videos and then tried out what I'd learned. Took maybe 1/2 an hour of playing around with my machine to figure it out and now I love to shirr things. I just finished a dress with a shirred back, sleeves and neckline.

Here is an apron skirt I made that goes over a pink petticoat dress.

2_DSCN6068.jpg
What a cute skirt!
You did a great job!

It helped since we didn't have to try to go back to the room where they were too excited about lightning McQueen outside the window at aoa to sleep anyway.
That's funny about being too excited to sleep because of Lightning McQueen outside of their window. :rotfl:

Our December trip will be our first one without a stroller. Mr D has gotten too big for the Special Needs Stroller, so we are having to rent a wheel chair. I am not looking forward to this... he still naps every day (his meds cause that) and the stroller gave him a place to hide. I foresee lots of melt downs this year.

And I am sure by now you have all seen the cute new bathrooms at Disney in the Tangled section...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...3-tangled-restroom-area-opening-day/18409.htm

Nini

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.
f5aa708a95e5c3bb9be326f72352e335.jpg

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
Very Cute!

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

IMG_7986_zpsd39ebd5e.jpg
Kelly
Very cute, and good idea using pre-shirred, my machean refuses to shirll so will have to try to find some of that fabric!

As Diane suspected, I got a new embroidery machine a couple of weeks ago. I decided to call him Genie. I had to wait to share the news as my first project on Genie was for a Big Give and I didn't want to spill the beans!

First, a picture of Genie:
Genie_zps6b3e3985.jpg

[/IMG]
:love: congradulations on the new machine!

Bummer about the ruffler... My machines are all vintage - and I won't ever sew on anything else... If you go to youcanmakethis.com - Carla C. has an amazing FREE ruffler tutorial - so next time it might go better for you. I would love to see photos of your machine if you have the time. :lovestruc

I have 2... Patience is a 1958 Singer 15-91. She is my main machine.
IMG_7903.jpg

And Mr. R. (Short for Rocket) is a 1961 Singer Rocketeer (503A)... He is my appliquer, and to say he is a finicky and tempermental man would be an understatement. :laughing:

IMG_224115.jpg

Oh and my 13 y/o dd also loves her vintage machine (however, if given the chance, she prefers to sew on Patience) - Can't remember her year, but she is a Singer 99... a 2/3 scale size machine...

So don't underestimate your vintage machine... They are the most powerful and durable machines out there - there is no machine you can buy today at any price point that will go through the layers of fabric like a vintage machine... If you are lucky enough to have a good one - hold on to it tightly and maintain it, it WILL last the rest of your life, your children's lives and probably your grandchildrens lives... :wizard:

Sorry for the ramble... Can you tell that vintage machines are near and dear to my heart? LOL

I know I commented on FB already - but this is so cute! I bet she loves it! :lovestruc

D~
:lovestruc
I might be inheriting my grandmother's old machine. It's a singer but I don't know what kind. It's in cold storage at the farm so haven't looked at it yet, but will this summer. Hopfuly I can get it fixed up and running.

Our December trip will be our first one without a stroller. Mr D has gotten too big for the Special Needs Stroller, so we are having to rent a wheel chair. I am not looking forward to this... he still naps every day (his meds cause that) and the stroller gave him a place to hide. I foresee lots of melt downs this year.

And I am sure by now you have all seen the cute new bathrooms at Disney in the Tangled section...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...3-tangled-restroom-area-opening-day/18409.htm

Nini

and I am debating 2 strollers one for J and one for the new one. Actually I am trying to find an umbrella stroller for running through the airport with the baby since we make J walk now. I am scared of a double for this first trip with the baby and J in one stroller.

and I am debating 2 strollers one for J and one for the new one. Actually I am trying to find an umbrella stroller for running through the airport with the baby since we make J walk now. I am scared of a double for this first trip with the baby and J in one stroller.

I rented from Kingdom strollers last time and I can't recommend them highly enough, if you want to rent one from outside source. They have the city series strollers and they are just awesome. Even if J isn't in the stroller you'll still be able to use his seat to hold stuff.

How old will the baby be when you go I can't remember?

QUESTION!!!!!

Ok ladies, I am considering upgrading my el cheapo walmart special machine. I am looking for something better and keeping my cheepo as a back up, in case something happens. At this point my moms old Kenmore needs to go in for service and she's using mine so I really realize that it would be good as well as to find something that can do more.

I'm from Canada, there are loads of options of course, I should buy in canada, but they're just so darn expensive! I would like to look at Joannes (we are heading to Michigan next month) in the event that I see something come up on sale or whatever that is a good deal and warrants buying in the US (since I wouldn't then have a warranty) I honestly don't know what I would be prepared to pay but I would aim to stay under $300.

I'd love to get a vintage machine, I'm so jealous of those that have them, but I know that fixing and learning, really just is not in the cards for me.

Any recommendations on machines to look at OR to avoid completely.

THANK YOU :grouphug:

On our first trip kids were 4, 3 and 11 months we had a MacLaren side by side double but my youngest always hated that. We rented a single from ABBF on that trip so we didnt have to deal with 2 strollers in the airport As the kids got older we used a Peg Perego Pliko P3. Comfy for baby and running board on back for older child. Could you use that for baby and rent in the parks for J? That way you would only have 1 stroller to worry about getting to the parks-even if you drive I found parking lot trams more difficult with the strollers than the busses. Then if J was tired leaving the park he could use the running board back to bus or car.

I eventually bought a Maclaren Volo when just youngest was in a stroller. Loved how light that one was. I got a great deal on a prior year model. Have you ever tried Albee Baby. Do they have a retail store near you?

nannye said:
I rented from Kingdom strollers last time and I can't recommend them highly enough, if you want to rent one from outside source. They have the city series strollers and they are just awesome. Even if J isn't in the stroller you'll still be able to use his seat to hold stuff.

How old will the baby be when you go I can't remember?

Oh we are renting for J and I happen town a city elite but won't fly with it anymore, since I had to replace it when the airline destroyed it. The baby will be 3.5 months but with Js issues I am not sure about a double right now, also need to see if they have something besides the citi mini since I don't like that stroller.

nannye said:
QUESTION!!!!!

Ok ladies, I am considering upgrading my el cheapo walmart special machine. I am looking for something better and keeping my cheepo as a back up, in case something happens. At this point my moms old Kenmore needs to go in for service and she's using mine so I really realize that it would be good as well as to find something that can do more.

I'm from Canada, there are loads of options of course, I should buy in canada, but they're just so darn expensive! I would like to look at Joannes (we are heading to Michigan next month) in the event that I see something come up on sale or whatever that is a good deal and warrants buying in the US (since I wouldn't then have a warranty) I honestly don't know what I would be prepared to pay but I would aim to stay under $300.

I'd love to get a vintage machine, I'm so jealous of those that have them, but I know that fixing and learning, really just is not in the cards for me.

Any recommendations on machines to look at OR to avoid completely.

THANK YOU :grouphug:

I have a Janome and really like it. You should really check out the pattern review board there are a lot of great reviews there.

lovesdumbo said:
On our first trip kids were 4, 3 and 11 months we had a MacLaren side by side double but my youngest always hated that. We rented a single from ABBF on that trip so we didnt have to deal with 2 strollers in the airport As the kids got older we used a Peg Perego Pliko P3. Comfy for baby and running board on back for older child. Could you use that for baby and rent in the parks for J? That way you would only have 1 stroller to worry about getting to the parks-even if you drive I found parking lot trams more difficult with the strollers than the busses. Then if J was tired leaving the park he could use the running board back to bus or car.

I eventually bought a Maclaren Volo when just youngest was in a stroller. Loved how light that one was. I got a great deal on a prior year model. Have you ever tried Albee Baby. Do they have a retail store near you?

Jimmy is autistic so I need for him to have a safe place so I am dealing with different issues, I personally have mixed feelings about maclarens. j also doesn't like the park strollers. We have time to figure it out.

Tomorrow is the day!!! :cool1: I get to "meet" my machine! I've been working on a list of items I will need to have to begin sewing (sharp scissors for fabric only, pins and a pin cushion, thread, and a seam ripper). I've got some old worn out sheets and such to practice on at first. If any of you awesome sewing ladies :worship: have any other items I need to add to my beginner sewing supply list please let me know! I'm thrilled to have my "new" machine,
That' so exciting that you will meet your new machine tomorrow. Do you have bobbins that are coming with your machine? If so, you seem to have all the basics to get started.

Nini
You can't rent a bigger special needs stroller? Where are you renting from?

When my girls were about J's age, I picked up a used stroller at a garage sale for $5 or $10 (well actually two, one for each girl). I cleaned them up and sanitized them. Then we took them with us and used them at Disney. On our last night, we found families with rented strollers and gave them our garage sale strollers so we didn't have to bring them home with us. We just told the people to pass them on to another family when they were done at Disney. I keep imagining those strollers being handed off to new families each week. :thumbsup2 Anyhow, it cost us so much less than renting a stroller and it ended up being handy in the airport to carry stuff.

QUESTION!!!!!

I can't give you advice for specific machines. But you might want to start looking at the Michigan Craigslist to see if there are any newer, high quality machines that people are selling. You could also check on ebay or some of the on-line sewing stores to get a machine shipped to you when you are in Michigan and then bring it back home. I was very impressed with the Juki machines that I tried out at the Sewing Expo. Lots of features and a high quality feel for less than most high quality machines. But they were more in the $500 to $700 price range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter