Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

@DMGeurts I've also signed up to their website. I usually get like you, one message/week. My daugheter also loves American Eagle jeans ;) Yet they have a lot of coupon codes too. She loves them more when they are cheaper.

I am seriously looking at the Brother 6-needle machine at this point. DH is totally supportive of me getting one of those beasts because he knows I want to be able to do more for the Gives. I feel limited in what I can do for the Gives at times because of my current machine. I have been reading reviews on it and people seem to like it. I will need to check into the warranty issue if we decide to go the cross border shopping route. I actually missed a sewing expo last weekend. I was too busy getting ready for my Minneapolis trip that I totally forgot about it.
Wow, a 6 needle machine! I can't wait for you to get it and start using it. You'll be able to make so much cute stuff and so quickly! Too bad that you forgot about the Sewing Expo. It is a great place to see the machines up close and get to play with them.

Honestly - teen shopping sucks. LOL :rotfl2: They just suck all the $$ right out of you, and 5 minutes later are rolling their eyes. :crazy2:

The Disney clearance shirts were in the women's clearance section... Just an fyi for anyone looking.

D~
Haha! About shopping with teens. That sounds so familiar! And I hate half the stuff that they love. I'm lucky because both of my girls are good girls and pretty conservative dressers. So there really aren't too many arguments about what they want to wear.

I did look all over the women's clearance section at our store. No luck. I'm hoping to try our other Target tomorrow morning. I did find Meredith a pair of Hello Kitty yoga pants for $4 and I got Sara a pair of athletic shorts for $3.

I will have to take a look at those tank tops at Hollister. Like I said, my girls love the Sugar Lips ones so they are picky about them. There is a Hollister outlet at the beach and I'm heading there on a girls' weekend at the end of next month. Maybe I can find some on a good deal.

In other news, I put my Ellageo up for sale on ebay. I am quite happy because there is some bidding on it. It still has a few days but I am glad that it will get sold. Our other big new is that Hurricane Sandy is heading for our area. I have heard that it will go a bit north of here so we won't get a direct hit like they originally thought we would. But we will still have several days of bad weather and lots of expected storm damage. Hopefully we won't lose power.

Thank you all for the kind comments on the Feliz! I'm very excited for park moments following those ruffles around! :)

197400_4418246208337_856003966_n.jpg

Awww. Even cuter on your dd!

Your dd is adorable in that dress! Once you get shorts for your boys and a skirt for you all made up, you will look awesome together. Is your DH getting anything to match with the family?

You did a great job on the dress but it is interesting that you don't want to make the Feliz again. I've looked at it several times and then put it away and never made it. So many people just love it but I am kind of neutral on the pattern.

Dh will get tshirts to coordinate with the rest of us. He's mostly a good sport about wearing them. I get complaints now, but once we're there, he goes along with it to make me happy. ;)

I didn't say I won't make one again, just that I'm not in a hurry to do so. ;) I love the look with a bunch of different fabrics and trims. There is a Flicker group with tons of examples and so many great ideas. My main reason for that comment is that the pattern isn't as clean to put together as I prefer. I hate having to make my own seam allowances and trace the pieces. That leads to mis-aligned seams, etc. The back panel with all the ruffles, while fun in the final result, is not as clean and neat on the inside as I prefer garments to look. It has kind of a poofy, quilted look to it. Mostly minor nitpicks, I know. :) I think before I make another one, I will take the pattern pieces to Staples and make large size photo copies so I can just cut them out instead of trace. My dd is small enough that I don't really even need to add a seam allowance for fit.

I am seriously looking at the Brother 6-needle machine at this point. DH is totally supportive of me getting one of those beasts because he knows I want to be able to do more for the Gives. I feel limited in what I can do for the Gives at times because of my current machine. I have been reading reviews on it and people seem to like it. I will need to check into the warranty issue if we decide to go the cross border shopping route. I actually missed a sewing expo last weekend. I was too busy getting ready for my Minneapolis trip that I totally forgot about it.

One more day and I will be meeting ~D before heading home. I can't wait to be home as I have been travelling for work quite a bit lately. I had to travel somewhere every week for the last 5 weeks. Thankfully I don't need to travel for at least a month after this trip.

Ooooh, how exciting! Your BG stuff is already beautiful, I can't even imagine what you could do with that big of a machine! A 6 needle (or maybe 10) is my dream machine! If I can get this business off the ground, I'll be saving for one of those down the road a ways!

Color me green with envy today for your dismeet! :thumbsup2 I'd love to meet both you and D. someday! And so many others, too!

Regards,
C

Hi! Surprise visit! I tried to post pics of a skirt I made for my niece..but my power out. I have been running like crazy as Alli has been in the hospital 2 more times, and this one is more long term. :(

Does anyone know how to post from a phone? I really am proud of how it turned out and cant wait to share with all of you! I am excited to be back online to catch up!

Happy sewing

2012-10-15_19-07-44_79.jpg

2012-10-15_19-08-24_75.jpg

2012-10-15_19-08-45_702.jpg

Yay, so excited it worked! I am please with how the skirt turned out since I have only done shorts and a bowling shirt!

4monkeys said:
Yay, so excited it worked! I am please with how the skirt turned out since I have only done shorts and a bowling shirt!

Love!! Rapunzel is one of my favorite princesses :) great job!

Hey guys/gals,
just got a brother pe500 embroidery machine and want to embroider a wine cozzy i made a few months ago, do i just put the ring on top of it or do i put something inside the cozzy? I would think the embroider would sew the cozzy together so that it would not open.... or do i have to embroider a piece of material before sewing? I also did not thread the bobbin on the pe500 cuz it messed up. i ended up threading the bobbin on a regular sewing machine

Help is appreciated through pm if possible

I've been browsing this thread during my free time today, and oh my! You ladies are amazing!
I've been sewing on and off for a while, but just really started getting into it a little over a year ago. I am very much a beginner!! I've taught myself (thank you youtube!) what I know so far, but I'm thinking that after the holidays I'll take a few classes at our local fabric store, If for no other reason than to meet some other local sewers.

For the most part I've only sewn "crafty" things. Purses, totes, baby items...all from online tutorials too. The only thing I've ever sewn from a pattern was the Amy Butler Birdie Sling (what I currently use as my purse).

Right now I'm sewing my kids Halloween costumes. I made my daughter a detective cape and hat using a Martha tutorial (I can post pictures if anyone is interested), I'm making a bat costume for ds2, and ds3 is going to be a robot ("bot bot" as he says in 2 year old words. lol)

:welcome: I do hope you post pictures when you are all done.

I finished, finally, safari minnie. You'd never guess this was one of the toughest darn projects. I think it is just fatigue and bad luck. I was able to salvage the 1st of 2 ruined shirts by making the appliqué on felt, then attaching it to the shirt on top of mis-aligned Minnie. I actually like the way it came out better than it was before (other than the alignment issue of course) since the tan felt sort of outlines it on the dark shirt. So bad turned good. of course the thing is about an inch thick, so there's that.

Now we have to figure out how to jam all these clothes into suitcases. Now that the child is out of the suitcase and in bed.

This is a adorable too. I know you have already left so I hope you are having a MAGICAL Time pixiedust:

I finished a new version of a dress I made last year. We're re-using our Peter Pan outfits from last year's trip, but my dd has grown out of hers. I used the last of my PP fabric and made the dress extra large with a deep hem so she can wear it for several years. (The kids and I wear these outfits at church a lot.) Both are from CarlaC's Precious Dress pattern.

The new version:
th_3949015db77b4955253b6e211f9013ef.jpg

Back to work I go.
Regards,
C.

Your DD is getting even cutier. How fast they grow up.:sad: Love the new PP dress and the Feliz came out amazing.

Help, I need your help! I have a Brother 2003D embroidery sewing machine. The shop where I go for service has a 2011 Quattro D gently used for $5K with a ton of extras. List is probably $10K for everything. Do any of you have this machine? It does so much more than mine. I presently use 3 1/2 disks this has USB, auto thread, cuts jump threads, larger embroidery area, deeper throat, I think it can sew with the embroider hoop attached

:thumbsup2 I hope you were able to snatch it up. That is my dream machine:rolleyes1

Well here is DD2's Halloween costume. Had trouble with the Jessie applique, her pants should've been white, but it said black. Oh well. We are going to pumpkin patch tomorrow, so it will have to do.

th_20121025_194810.jpg

Adorable. And I wouldn't have noticed.

Awww thanks. I guess we just did the little things that added up. I have been researching different machines. We will probably wait until the next time DH or I go to the States to buy it to take advantage of the lower prices.

That is wonderful news and you deserve to celebrate. :cool1:

Thank you all! Thank for the encouragement to get it finished too. I did learn A LOT as it is my very first pattern and only my second sewing project (EVER)!

Well you did an incredible job on your first pattern. This dress came out great.

:cool1: I hope you do get one. I can't wait to see what you would make with the machine considering what you do with you 4x4 is just amazing.

Everything is adorable. Sorry to hear Alli is still in and out of the hospital.:grouphug:

Hey guys/gals,
just got a brother pe500 embroidery machine and want to embroider a wine cozzy i made a few months ago, do i just put the ring on top of it or do i put something inside the cozzy? I would think the embroider would sew the cozzy together so that it would not open.... or do i have to embroider a piece of material before sewing? I also did not thread the bobbin on the pe500 cuz it messed up. i ended up threading the bobbin on a regular sewing machine

Sorry I am not understanding your question... when you say ring do you mean hoop? Also is the cozzy all sewed up to fit the wine bottle.

th_2012-10-15_19-07-44_79.jpg

Love how the skirt turned out! How is Alli doing?

I just wanted to stop by and post pictures from my Dismeet with Flora (PurpleEars) last night at the MOA... We got there early because we had other shopping to do. DH and dd (V) came with, DH for security - not from Flora, but just the mall on weekend nights... The parking ramp can get a bit iffy after dark.

Anyways, we met up with Flora outside the Disney store and chatted for a while - I was surprised when we got out to the car and it was 7:30... So, we had to have chatted for a good half hour or longer. It was great to meet her... I even got to see some of her sewing stuff - she had a luggage tag on her carry-on and a phone case for her phone - both of which were super cute!

Thanks for meeting with me Flora - I hope you had a good flight home and are gettng some time to relax today! :beach:

20121027_184708.jpg

D~

I didn't say I won't make one again, just that I'm not in a hurry to do so. ;) I love the look with a bunch of different fabrics and trims. There is a Flicker group with tons of examples and so many great ideas. My main reason for that comment is that the pattern isn't as clean to put together as I prefer. I hate having to make my own seam allowances and trace the pieces. That leads to mis-aligned seams, etc. The back panel with all the ruffles, while fun in the final result, is not as clean and neat on the inside as I prefer garments to look. It has kind of a poofy, quilted look to it. Mostly minor nitpicks, I know. :) I think before I make another one, I will take the pattern pieces to Staples and make large size photo copies so I can just cut them out instead of trace. My dd is small enough that I don't really even need to add a seam allowance for fit.
I know what you mean about the patterns where you have to add the seam allowance. I've had trouble on their Vida pattern because you do that. I made one that turned out super wide and I had to go back and re-do it. I wonder why they make the patterns that way instead of adding a seam allowance to them????

Those turned out great! Good to see you back on here too.

Hey guys/gals,
When you embroider something it must not have anything behind it or the embroidery machine will sew it closed. It is better to embroider something before you sew it. Something like a wine cozie, you would have to open up the seams, make it flat to put it in the hoop and then embroider it. You should also use the special embroidery bobbin thread when you use your embroidery machine or your designs will not turn out right.

Anyways, we met up with Flora outside the Disney store and chatted for a while - I was surprised when we got out to the car and it was 7:30... So, we had to have chatted for a good half hour or longer. It was great to meet her... I even got to see some of her sewing stuff - she had a luggage tag on her carry-on and a phone case for her phone - both of which were super cute!

20121027_184708.jpg

D~
How fun! It sounds like you had a very good Dis meet!

We are getting ready for a visit from Sandy. Hopefully we will keep our power but we'll see what happens.

Wow, a 6 needle machine! I can't wait for you to get it and start using it. You'll be able to make so much cute stuff and so quickly! Too bad that you forgot about the Sewing Expo. It is a great place to see the machines up close and get to play with them.

In other news, I put my Ellageo up for sale on ebay. I am quite happy because there is some bidding on it. It still has a few days but I am glad that it will get sold. Our other big new is that Hurricane Sandy is heading for our area. I have heard that it will go a bit north of here so we won't get a direct hit like they originally thought we would. But we will still have several days of bad weather and lots of expected storm damage. Hopefully we won't lose power.

I have to admit that I am super excited about the prospect of a 6-needle machine. I hope we can get one without too much trouble (especially with bringing it back to Canada). I hope you will get a good turnout for the Ellageo auction and get a good selling price. It sounds like Sandy is going to cause major havoc so I hope that your family will be ok.

Ooooh, how exciting! Your BG stuff is already beautiful, I can't even imagine what you could do with that big of a machine! A 6 needle (or maybe 10) is my dream machine! If I can get this business off the ground, I'll be saving for one of those down the road a ways!

Color me green with envy today for your dismeet! :thumbsup2 I'd love to meet both you and D. someday! And so many others, too!

Regards,
C

Awww thanks for your kind words about my work with my current set up. Well I have to admit the 10-needle sounds even better, though I have a hard time justifying the cost difference.

The Dismeet was great. I saw that D~ posted the picture from our meet already. :)

Hi! Surprise visit! I tried to post pics of a skirt I made for my niece..but my power out. I have been running like crazy as Alli has been in the hospital 2 more times, and this one is more long term. :(

th_2012-10-15_19-08-01_233.jpg

th_2012-10-15_19-08-24_75.jpg

th_2012-10-15_19-08-45_702.jpg

I am so sorry to hear that Alli is back in the hospital :grouphug: The outfits that you made look fantastic!

Hey guys/gals,

If I understood your question correctly, you will need to take out the side seam of the wine cozy and hoop the material flat. Otherwise you are correct, you would sew the cozy closed. Alternatively, you can do the embroidery on a piece of felt in matching colour, cut it out (leaving a little bit of felt around the border), and fuse it to the cozy using fusible web or something similar. The second route is much easier and I would lean towards doing that.

:cool1: I hope you do get one. I can't wait to see what you would make with the machine considering what you do with you 4x4 is just amazing.

Awww thanks. I think the credit should go to Heather for designing such great embroidery files! She is the one who makes my stuff look great!

I just wanted to stop by and post pictures from my Dismeet with Flora (PurpleEars) last night at the MOA... We got there early because we had other shopping to do. DH and dd (V) came with, DH for security - not from Flora, but just the mall on weekend nights... The parking ramp can get a bit iffy after dark.

Thanks for meeting with me Flora - I hope you had a good flight home and are gettng some time to relax today! :beach:

th_20121027_184708.jpg

D~

Thanks so much for posting the picture. I had a great time chatting with you! I hope you weren't too tired when you get home! My flight actually left and arrived a few minutes earlier than planned.

I know what you mean about the patterns where you have to add the seam allowance. I've had trouble on their Vida pattern because you do that. I made one that turned out super wide and I had to go back and re-do it. I wonder why they make the patterns that way instead of adding a seam allowance to them????

We are getting ready for a visit from Sandy. Hopefully we will keep our power but we'll see what happens.

I think the reason for the seam allowance thing is that people could add the seam allowance of their choice? It looks like the European patterns tend to be that way.

I hope everyone will stay somewhere safe when Sandy visits! It sounds pretty scary!

Please stay safe Diane. :grouphug:

I have to admit that I am super excited about the prospect of a 6-needle machine. I hope we can get one without too much trouble (especially with bringing it back to Canada).

This is super exciting - I did not realize this when we met last night... Super cool. I hope you are able to get it home too.

Thanks so much for posting the picture. I had a great time chatting with you! I hope you weren't too tired when you get home! My flight actually left and arrived a few minutes earlier than planned.

It was fun chatting with you! I hope we didn't sound cranky... I realized on the way home that we really should have had dinner before we met up - but by the time we realized we should eat something, we would have been really late for the meet... and I didn't want to risk missing you. We left the mall immediately and stopped to eat at our favorite restaurant (Jimmy Johns)... and honest - went straight home and straight to bed. :thumbsup2 We were probably sound asleep before you got to the airport. LOL

Glad you had a good flight and got home early. It was super fun meeting you!

D~

A quick hello and post of pics. I have not quoted but I've looked at everything and all are doing fabulous work.

Sandy is coming to visit us too and we'll get her at the outskirts so we'll have loads of wind (which we already do) and tons of flooding. Several schools are closed and since Monday is supposed to be the worst I 'm sure the kids will be home a couple of days. Our district hasn't closed yet, but it will. The bummer is I have a third doctor's appt on Tuesday and I know it will have to get moved. This appt is for my neck and shoulder pain which is unrelated (as I have been told) to any of my other issues. But I did get refills on my pain meds so I'll be fine. I am now being treated as having severe seasonal allergies -- I've always had seasonal allergies and they've never wiped me out like this, but whatever. I'm on new meds so we'll see what happens. I still have times where I feel OK but I get fatigued so easily.

Anyway, here are horrible pics of dd's halloween outfit -- she's worn it once and still hasn't worn her Halloween skirt this year and won't be able to given that I wonder if we will even have school on Wednesday. Makes me quite sad. I will try to take better detailed pics eventually.....

file-16.jpg

file-17.jpg

th_2012-10-15_19-08-24_75.jpg
th_2012-10-15_19-08-45_702.jpg

These are all so cute! Glad to see you around again!

th_20121027_184708.jpg

D~

I am so jealous that the two of you got to meet but glad you had a good time.

Praying you all stay safe and the power stays ON!

I have to admit that I am super excited about the prospect of a 6-needle machine. I hope we can get one without too much trouble (especially with bringing it back to Canada). I hope you will get a good turnout for the Ellageo auction and get a good selling price. It sounds like Sandy is going to cause major havoc so I hope that your family will be ok.

FX you get the machine you want! And I'm glad you had a good trip and made it back home safely.

A quick hello and post of pics. I have not quoted but I've looked at everything and all are doing fabulous work.

Sandy is coming to visit us too and we'll get her at the outskirts so we'll have loads of wind (which we already do) and tons of flooding. Several schools are closed and since Monday is supposed to be the worst I 'm sure the kids will be home a couple of days. Our district hasn't closed yet, but it will. The bummer is I have a third doctor's appt on Tuesday and I know it will have to get moved. This appt is for my neck and shoulder pain which is unrelated (as I have been told) to any of my other issues. But I did get refills on my pain meds so I'll be fine. I am now being treated as having severe seasonal allergies -- I've always had seasonal allergies and they've never wiped me out like this, but whatever. I'm on new meds so we'll see what happens. I still have times where I feel OK but I get fatigued so easily.

Anyway, here are horrible pics of dd's halloween outfit -- she's worn it once and still hasn't worn her Halloween skirt this year and won't be able to given that I wonder if we will even have school on Wednesday. Makes me quite sad. I will try to take better detailed pics eventually.....

th_file-16.jpg
th_file-17.jpg

First off, praying your family and your house stays safe during the storm

Secondly, I HATE that you are still feeling so poorly. I am skeptical about all this being just from allergies, but of course I'm no doctor. :/

Third the Halloween set is adorable! I LOVE the little ghost. Great job!

My older dd is also very, very short. She is 4' 10" and we're pretty sure she is mostly done growing. However, the size of her mouth definitely makes up for her lack of height. My dad always called her "Mighty Mouth" and it is true.:rotfl: She is used to people thinking that she is younger than she really is. She just recently decided that being short is a good thing though because she realized that she can shop for shoes in the adult section and the kids section. That paid off when we found her a pair of Uggs at Nordstroms rack for $30! They were in the kids section.

I am also "little" enough to do the shoe shopping in both the ladies and kid's section. It IS a money saver!

WOO hoo for knowing you are going to be able to sell your old machine.

Love the Lauren dress. Will need to get this soon!

Well here is DD2's Halloween costume. Had trouble with the Jessie applique, her pants should've been white, but it said black. Oh well. We are going to pumpkin patch tomorrow, so it will have to do.

th_20121025_194023.jpg
th_20121025_194810.jpg

This turned out very cute and I agree that I wouldn't have noticed about Jessie's pants if you hadn't said something.

Ok, I finished the Feliz last night. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not anxious to make another anytime soon. ;) I changed the pattern just slightly and attached the straps on the inside in the back instead of inside the seam. She needs them really short right now, but then I can adjust it next year without tearing major seams apart. Now I have to teach dd how to twirl! :goodvibes

Front:
th_2942292F-D730-4953-9C1C-44D0067F164F-2005-0000023E39011A05.jpg

Back:
th_8C110B13-66F9-4554-9A62-CAD1EAA57671-2005-0000023E42220A30.jpg

Ruffles!
th_C165BBB8-848B-452B-9280-B7B0B2E29A44-2005-0000023E4ACEB1AA.jpg

So, now to shift gears to Christmas Mickey shorts for the boys and a skirt for me. Then I'll need to get all our tshirts prepped. We're spending Thanksgiving weekend at my parents in TN on our way down to WDW, so I'll be embroidering about 12 shirts in 2-3 days while there. Most of them are super simple designs, though, so it should go pretty quickly if I have everything marked and stabilized ahead of time. :scared: ;)

Regards,
C.

The dress turned out lovely. Great fabric combos! And you are such a smart cookie for getting the shirts all prepped and ready to go so they will be easy to do once you are at your parent's house.

Thank you all! Thank for the encouragement to get it finished too. I did learn A LOT as it is my very first pattern and only my second sewing project (EVER)!

The Hello Kitty Fabric came from Walmart.

K was a moving target when we got her to try on the outfit so this is the best of the shots that I have so far :)

Such a cutie! The outfit looks adorable on her!

So I'm really excited! I just had a friend ask me if I would be willing to do some sewing for her for her upcoming Disney trip! They are leaving two days after Christmas. YIPPPPEEEE for me!

Sunshine

2012-10-15_19-07-44_79.jpg

QUOTE]

I Love this skirt! Rapunzal is probably my favorite princess and if I get the embroidery machine I've asked as a gift for Christmas:rolleyes1, I may make myself a shirt with the quote. Or some sort of frying pan quote.

Okay: this is technically Disney (they own Marvel Comics)& although it's not clothing, it is definately a boutique item:

Captain America's 1940s Shield Mug Rug modeling my DH's favorite mug:

224061_28Oct12_004.JPG

Upclose of the applique - not as pretty as some, but I decided I like the looser zig zag.

224061_28Oct12_003.JPG

I'd also like to point out that it's not my sewing that's all wonky, it's my cutting that you can see through the sewing.
:rotfl:

Hi Ladies!! I have definitely been MIA for a good month. October is rough this year. 10/5 was the one year anniversary I lost my mom (kidney failure after 50+ years with dialysis, she lived with us for the last 6-7 years). I was a mess the couple weeks before and after... then DH traveled to PR for work after Columbus Day... then I had a girls' weekend in Chicago last weekend (very much needed!). I have a bunch of pictures, nothing super crazy but a few things I've made that I don't think I've yet shared!

I LOVE everything I have been reading for the past 20 or so pages. There is way way way TMTQ!

photo-15.jpg
tutu dance bag for DD, her name is on the other side. Love the ballerina, but it is TWENTY THREE steps!

298557_4270410071364_1509401774_n.jpg
iPhone case I whipped up to take to a fall fest at a winery (I added a clip to it for my belt loop)

photo-18.jpg
very dark picture but these are valances (lined) I made for our daycare provider. They're all jungle animals and the names of all the animals are on there; I thought it was adorable

photo-21.jpg
race shirts. You all can appreciate this, they took FOREVER to stitch out. The slippery athletic shirts did not help! But they turned out cute, I think. I had a 30 day trial of Embird and made the wording (yes Disney font lol, it was all I had that was the right size). There were 6 of us in Chicago, we wanted to match for our run (the reason we planned the trip was a race). I got roped into making us matching shirts lol. Our names are on the fronts of each in pink glittery thread (which I loathe, the shredding oh my gosh, any tips for this?). But, in the end, we got SO MANY compliments. I wish I had business cards!!!

photo-20.jpg
luggage markers I made for a customer (I love saying that!). The pirate is a mess up lol that I cut out and will attach to something. I don't want to jinx myself but I was in contact with the DIS welcome center and they asked me to send some. Crossing my fingers...

photo-16.jpg
shirts for a customer (sorry for the poor picture, taken with the iPad at work - like my 70's carpet!). The road runner was for a retired guy who REALLY wanted this character. It is VERY hard to find but he paid me the $10 for the design at my request... I now have the entire Looney Tunes set lol.

I took DD to see Mary Poppins and meet the actors after (it was a group thing through her dance studio) and I made her the cutest skirt but I can't find a picture. I will have her wear it again.

We just found out that we will be home from work tomorrow thanks to the impending hurricane. :( While I'm thrilled for a day off, NOT FOR THIS (again), ugh. I just pray pray pray we don't lose power.

Next up are finishing the kids Halloween costumes (both handmade this year, I hope we have ToTing), and Christmas-themed outfits for our surprise Disney weekend next month to Boardwalk. My nieces (two of them) both have birthdays in November, as does my DD, so I'm planning on ruffle pop skirts in lightweight corduroy along with appliqued shirts. I have Tink for the soon to be 3 year old and a turquoise and brown retro floral print for the soon to be 7 year old, will post pics of ALL THIS soon!

I was trying to clean my sewing area as it's right near our basement slider and we will 99% sure have water come in... I was organizing all my printed patterns into a binder and DD found my Carla C dolly patterns. She begged me to make her an outfit for Halloween. If we have power tomorrow that could be a perfect project.

We are going to WDW THREE TIMES in the next 13 months, first time ever. I got amazing deals on flights and paid less than 1 set for both thanks to miles and promotions. Coupled with DVC and an amazing deal on premium annual passes, we can actually make it work. I just managed to get the last DVC studio for Beach Club next May, which I am super stoked to make outfits for. It's also our tenth anniversary so it will be a very special trip. We were married at the Poly and will be going to the luau. November 2013 we're staying at AKL so we'll have lots of fun themes to work with :o)

Hi everyone.
Question about a ruffler. I am going to look into seeing if I can get one for my sewing machine, I have somewhat low end brother or my mom has an old Kenmore.

Knowing really nothing about a ruffler other than it has GOT to be easier than doing a ruffle by hand.... I was wondering would it be suitable to do a gather on a waist to fit a skirt into a waistband for instance?

Thanks
Erin

First, prayers for all in the path of Sandy! Please check in when you can to let us know how you are faring!

th_2012-10-15_19-08-01_233.jpg

Trying to see if I did ths right. If so, I will post more!

I'm so sorry to hear your dd is in the hospital again! The skirt is too cute!

Thanks for sharing the photo! I'm glad you both had a nice visit!

I think Flora is right - so the seamstress can choose the seam allowance width they prefer. I have a couple books on couture sewing. I seem to recall reading that Coco Chanel used 3/4" or more sa's! And hand finished edge stitching on interior seams! No thanks! French seams, yes, hand bound instead of serged? Uh-uh!

th_file-16.jpg

th_file-17.jpg

Cute outfit! I'm sorry you're still not feeling up to snuff!

Captain America's 1940s Shield Mug Rug modeling my DH's favorite mug:

224061_28Oct12_004.JPG

Upclose of the applique - not as pretty as some, but I decided I like the looser zig zag.

224061_28Oct12_003.JPG

I'd also like to point out that it's not my sewing that's all wonky, it's my cutting that you can see through the sewing.
:rotfl:

Very cute! Dh and I both like Cap!

th_photo-20.jpg
luggage markers I made for a customer (I love saying that!). The pirate is a mess up lol that I cut out and will attach to something. I don't want to jinx myself but I was in contact with the DIS welcome center and they asked me to send some. Crossing my fingers...

:o)

Everything is great! I think the luggage tags are my favorite, but the race shirts are really neat, too!

Regards,
C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter