• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Put a pin vertically at the end of the gathering stiches then wrap the thread tails around the pin in a figure eight. That will hold the gathers in while you adjust them. :)

4happycamprs - I'm sure this will help. Also, how long is the section you are trying to gather. I know if it is too long it may be helpful to gather 1/2 or 1/4 at a time. And then there is always the dental floss method. http://magicalmemoriesbyjessica.blogspot.ca/2009/04/ruffling-using-dental-floss.html

mamommy said:
Put a pin vertically at the end of the gathering stiches then wrap the thread tails around the pin in a figure eight. That will hold the gathers in while you adjust them. :)

That makes perfect sense!! Thank you!!!

tricia said:
4happycamprs - I'm sure this will help. Also, how long is the section you are trying to gather. I know if it is too long it may be helpful to gather 1/2 or 1/4 at a time. And then there is always the dental floss method. http://magicalmemoriesbyjessica.blogspot.ca/2009/04/ruffling-using-dental-floss.html

Thank you!!! It is a empire waste top (hence my mil asking me if I was sure this is a beginning pattern and then saying she was sure it is not)
My mil said to try the 1/4 method but it didn't look right because I think I left too large of gaps and also because of the pinning issues. So I took that all out and made just two gathering points and that looked better but that is where I put it to bed for the night.

What a nice job you are doing on those dresses. really cute with Pooh and I don't like Pooh. She is going to love wearing this.
Thanks! I am not really crazy about Pooh either but my niece does love him. She calls him "Winnie the Poop" which always makes me laugh!

Here is a NBC outfit I finished for Alexa this last week. The top is the Olivia pattern. This was the first time I had tried it. The hood was a little funky but overall a pretty easy pattern. The instructions stink though and if I had been a beginner, I would have been completely lost! The skirt is one that I picked up from Once Upon a Child for $2.50!

1351044297.jpg
Love the NBC outfit. I'm not a huge fan on that movie but your outfit is adorable! The Olivia shirt turned out terrific and how great that you got that skirt for $2.50!

The method the pattern uses is two lines and then you pull on the strings that part is okay but then as soon as I let go of the strings to even out the gatherings or even if I hold them then either the gatherings completely flatten or the thread starts pulling out. I have tried pinning the gatherings but my placement must be wrong because it didn't help. I am going to do a you tube search but I was too frustrated to look at anything sewing last night.
Sorry you are having such a hard time with gathering. I agree that you should divide up the areas you are gathering into fourths. Then do the gathering. You may also need to tie off the ends of your threads after you have pulled them to make the gathers.

If you totally can't get the gathering, your other option is to do some tiny hand pleats that you pin in place and then baste. I just started doing this and it is a little bit more time consuming but gives beautiful results. You just pin your side seams together on your bodice and on your skirt. Then pin your center front and center back on your skirt to the center front/back of your bodice. After that, it is like making a paper fan. Fold little pleats or tucks back and forth just like a paper fan. You may need to unpin and adjust some of your pleats so that they come out even but it gives a very nice look to the finished dress. I just did this method of gathering the skirt on the farm dress and the Pooh dress.

This just changed my life. Thanks. I was suffering the same issue. In fact I have two grace ruffle halloween dresses I was making (and I think they were going to be super cute.) but I got so frustrated I put them away for now. Maybe for next halloween!

Great job on the shirts! I am sure you will catch lots of attention with that set. It's cool that your DH will wear customs. Mine would wear embroidered polos (with Mickey or a Lego Minifig) but that's as far as he'd go.

It's funny but he actually requested it! I made the first bowling shirts for the boys and he asked for a Green Lantern one (which I still haven't made, BTW.) and then asked for Wall-E, of course, since that was fabric so hard to come by!

Oh.My.Golly. I am seriously crushing on these shirts! I LOVE Wall-E and he never gets any love! I hope that everyone compliments you like crazy in the park that day!!! Oh and all the headache of figuring out the pattern and constructing them? Yeah, TOTALLY worth it!
Thanks. I do think they turned out awesome, but I am seriously spoiled by Carla C and her bowling shirts, and by the smaller form factor of kids clothing. It was SO much fabric and so unwieldy. I did like how the sleeves went on first flat, then it was sewn up the side and sleeve last, that was much easier, in my eyes, than the curved tiny opening of the kids sleeves.

Those are FABULOUS :worship::worship::worship: I have three or four sets of those panels -- got them for $1 each at Hancock's. I just couldn't pass up the price and figured I could do bowling shirts for BGs with them. I adore the fabric you paired with it -- wish I had money now to stock up on that. I just love everything about the shirts you did -- they are beyond awesome :worship::worship::worship:

Are you calling patterns form 1976 "vintage"??? If so, I am personally an antique.
I too am "vintage" then! I definitely feel like it sometimes. I was in Joann fabrics the other day and a lady asked me if I thought ET was brown or grey, and she had a pattern from 1980s that was for an ET costume my mom had made for my brother when he was about 2. She sewed it up in the back though and stuffed it so we had a "life-size" ET, which was awesome. I couldn't believe this lady had the same 30+ year old pattern my mom used! Memory lane...

Oh, and regarding the circuit board fabrics, I think it might be going End of Life, it is sold out on fat quarter shop and listed as last chance on fabric.com I was a little short and wanted to order more but fabric.com is notoriously slow so I didn't and just used solid navy for the sleeves. Just in case you absolutely have to have it. it's about $9/yard but I never have a problem finding a coupon code for fabric.com.

As promised, here are the pictures of my DS's bday outfit.

The pants are made from the Treasure Pockets Pants pattern found in the book "Sewing For Boys". I really like the look of them and it's fun to be able to combine fabrics. I overall liked the pattern and can't wait to make more and use some of the other patterns in the book.

Then I added a simple applique to a shirt. I ended up being lucky in that the only orange I had that matched the print happened to be knit so I didn't have to do all the satin stitching. But since I was in a rush, my "straight" stitching is anything but! HA!

picture594.jpg

And an action shot. DS LOVED this outfit and didn't want to take it off.

picture589.jpg

Sunshine

I love those pants. I looked at the sewing for boys book on Amazon and it had pretty spotty reviews, so I passed. I am glad to see a project from it though, I might reconsider after the trip and things settle down around here! And here is a random question, is that Red a Wheelies car? We have Lightning McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissile, but never have seen Red. My kids LOVE the Wheelies, we have TWO ramps now.

So here are the pictures of the Pooh dress that I finished today. It is hard to tell from the pictures but all the materials are Pooh themed. The dress material has Pooh and Piglet with umbrellas and honey pots scattered all over it. The blue fabric has Pooh, Piglet and honey pots and the yellow fabric as the bees on it.
Front of dress and pinafore:
PA230095_zps5a38fe92.jpg

Back of dress and pinafore:
PA230096_zps774a72cc.jpg

Dress without the pinafore:
PA230097_zps2b32c26d.jpg
I love that dress. I picked up that same Winnie the Pooh blue fabric at Hobby Lobby in the remnants bin, and I already had that bee fabric, I just hadn't figured out what to do with them yet. Very well done.

3 more days until we leave! I only have one more shirt to embroider, which I would have been finished yesterday but of course something happened and the satin stitch was all mis-aligned and looks terrible. It's off by about 1/8 of an inch. Grrr. And OF COURSE it was a shirt for me, since I hardly made a thing for myself! I went out to Target last night to get another blank shirt like I had gotten and naturally they were out of that color in my size, so I went with a different color. I mostly don't care anymore I want to be done. My friend whom I made the other bowling shirts for her and her husband is coming by today so I can hem them and then I will share photos of those. So close to being able to shut off the sewing machines for a couple weeks of Disney World bliss. This morning when I asked the kids what they wanted for breakfast one said, "Birthday cake with Mickey Mouse!" so yeah, I think we are ready!

Wow, fabulous stuff posted lately! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks and I am hopelessly behind again!

Here is a NBC outfit I finished for Alexa this last week. The top is the Olivia pattern. This was the first time I had tried it. The hood was a little funky but overall a pretty easy pattern. The instructions stink though and if I had been a beginner, I would have been completely lost! The skirt is one that I picked up from Once Upon a Child for $2.50!

1351044297.jpg

Here is a back view of the skirt.

1351044302.jpg

I still have to finish a Frankenweenie dress and shirt plus start Halloween costumes!

So I need to go back to quote so many wonderful things, but on a Halloween crunch. My niece would love that NBC design on her shirt, where did that come from. Looks so cute!!!

th_1351044297.jpg

th_1351044302.jpg

I still have to finish a Frankenweenie dress and shirt plus start Halloween costumes!

I am GREEN over here at the deal on that skirt! What a wonderful surprise! The shirt you made to go with it looks great. Thanks for naming the pattern. Can't wait to see the other stuff you are working on.

Hita everybody. There has been so many great outfits!! I really like seeing the outfits for boys as clothing seems so limited. I am beyond frustrated with this Christmas dress so I stopped and am surfing here. Totally ready to just rip all the seams out and forget about it. The issue is "gathering" apparently I can't do it.

Don't give up! But setting aside was the perfect thing to do at the time. Sounds like you have gotten some good tips and tricks to try. Please post a picture when you are all finished.

You did the right thing in stepping away for a while when you're frustrated. Don't give up, though. Sewing isn't learned over night. (Unless you're D~) Maybe just play with some scrap material until you master it. ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:thumbsup2

I hope she sees that!

I 2nd that this just changed my life.

It's funny but he actually requested it! I made the first bowling shirts for the boys and he asked for a Green Lantern one (which I still haven't made, BTW.) and then asked for Wall-E, of course, since that was fabric so hard to come by!

Thanks. I do think they turned out awesome, but I am seriously spoiled by Carla C and her bowling shirts, and by the smaller form factor of kids clothing. It was SO much fabric and so unwieldy. I did like how the sleeves went on first flat, then it was sewn up the side and sleeve last, that was much easier, in my eyes, than the curved tiny opening of the kids sleeves.

I love those pants. I looked at the sewing for boys book on Amazon and it had pretty spotty reviews, so I passed. I am glad to see a project from it though, I might reconsider after the trip and things settle down around here! And here is a random question, is that Red a Wheelies car? We have Lightning McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissile, but never have seen Red. My kids LOVE the Wheelies, we have TWO ramps now.

3 more days until we leave! I only have one more shirt to embroider, which I would have been finished yesterday but of course something happened and the satin stitch was all mis-aligned and looks terrible. It's off by about 1/8 of an inch. Grrr. And OF COURSE it was a shirt for me, since I hardly made a thing for myself! I went out to Target last night to get another blank shirt like I had gotten and naturally they were out of that color in my size, so I went with a different color. I mostly don't care anymore I want to be done. My friend whom I made the other bowling shirts for her and her husband is coming by today so I can hem them and then I will share photos of those. So close to being able to shut off the sewing machines for a couple weeks of Disney World bliss. This morning when I asked the kids what they wanted for breakfast one said, "Birthday cake with Mickey Mouse!" so yeah, I think we are ready!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the Green Lantern shirt. Yeah, I almost always prefer to add the sleeves on that way the adult pattern did, but I think that's technically the "cheater" method and doesn't work as well for sleeves that need to be "eased in".

The directions aren't as nice/clear as some other patterns I have, but then I feel as if I've been totally spoiled by the carlaC/funktional threads ones so. There are definitely some patterns/styles I am not ever going to make out of that book, but when I was deciding on whether or not to buy them, I totaled up which ones I thought I would use and divided the price of the book by that many to see how much I was paying for just the patterns I thought I would use. It came out to be a very reasonable price, so I took the plunge. I will say it was the Treasure Pocket pants pattern that peaked my interest in the book in the first place.

And leave it to another mother of small boys to spot the cars! HA! Yes Red is one of the fisher price wheelies. My MIL bought them as part of his bday present (along with a lightening mcqueen pillow pet!) when they were here. She got them at our local walmart. I think they even had either a Holly or a Sally as well. If you'd like, I'd be happy to look and see if there are anymore Reds and mail them to you. PM me if you are interested.

Sorry that you messed up on the shirt for you. I remember too well that feeling of just wanting to be done. I hit that wall the week leading up to our trip as well. But SOON you'll be there and it will all be AWESOME!!!

What a great outfit! I love the action shot. Your little guy is a real cutie! It is hard to find nice patterns for boys, especially as they get bigger. I love that pants pattern. It is really adorable.

So here are the pictures of the Pooh dress that I finished today. It is hard to tell from the pictures but all the materials are Pooh themed. The dress material has Pooh and Piglet with umbrellas and honey pots scattered all over it. The blue fabric has Pooh, Piglet and honey pots and the yellow fabric as the bees on it.
th_PA230095_zps5a38fe92.jpg

th_PA230096_zps774a72cc.jpg

th_PA230097_zps2b32c26d.jpg

This is ridiculously cute! I hope she LOVES it!

Sunshine

OK, so lets try to multi quote all the great stuff on computer....

I just bought the devon peasant for myself and my oldest. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

222518_4379963711320_1667232053_n.jpg

Epcot shirts. Still have to make the skirts. Those will come later....much later. LOL. Had this fabric in my stash since the last time we went. Had 1/2 a yard for the sleeves....just barely squeaked them out! Definitely not enough for a ruffle so these are ruffle less. My 8 year old thought I was crazy for not putting ruffles on. LOL

Very cute! And LOL about the ruffles.

With less than a week left, I am happy to report I finished all 4 adult bowling shirts. (And may I never make another one again, it was NOT FUN.) Here is a peek at the ones I made for myself and my husband, the top is his with Wall-E and the bottom mine with Eve.

It's hard to see but the dark blue fabric is this:
Medium_EZ-313.jpg
called Mechanical Genius, it's blue with printed circuit boards. The Wall-E fabric was a 4-part panel I got from ebay, I used one for each front piece, and appliqued the other on the back.

I also made two more, one Monsters Inc and one Buzz Lightyear, which I will post later in the week. They are for a friend who subscribes to my Flickr so I don't want to upload them just yet.

There are still a couple things I would like to make for myself, like a couple more embroidered shirts, but if I don't get to them no biggie. Now we are going to spend tomorrow packing since it's my husband's last day off before departure day!

LOVE THESE SHIRTS!!!!!!!

So, here's my version of the Jewel costume. I wanted to do it like Andrea's, but it had a mind of it's own. I cut each feather individually and hand sewed everything in place. Then I clipped the sides of each feather to look more "feather-like" Took a while! These pictures are just before I sewed the hood in place. By the time I finished, you couldn't see any white. I can't believe I didn't get a final pic! But my DGD was so busy flying, it was hard to get her to stand still!:rotfl:

FC28E2A4.jpg

I didn't like the way the skirt turned out, but I was on a time crunch, so didn't get to do it over.
E3EE385D.jpg

Very cute, but looks like a lot of work.

Hey ladies.....it's been awhile. :) My trip is coming up quick so I've got to start sewing again. Igor, my machine, decided to cooperate with me today and let me get some sewing done. :) This is carla's portrait peasant and the easy fits. This is my youngest, size 6. I tried to make the peasant shirt in the 8 for my 8 year old but it's a bit snug. Guess I need to enlarge that pattern a bit for her. Dunno what I'm gonna do for the 13 y.o.!

197510_4375666883902_1121267393_n.jpg

Cute!

I like the Stitch outfit. really cute and I don't think anyone will notice the pocket is off unless he has something sticking out of it. The card holder is cute and looks easy too. I like the simple monogram.

I would be really mad if all my thread I bought had burrs and would not be filing it down and would be calling my credit card company to let them know that item was definitely not as received and that the company is refusing to give me all my money back.

This has been a crazy week. My mother's costume is done. I made fuzzy pom-poms and used velcro on the back as requested and made the neck ruffle separate with velcro closure too. It is a little long but can't fix that now. Plenty of room for thicker clothes underneath for our cold NE halloweens. We had snow last year. A few too many images but I am proud of how nice my rolled hems came out and it all looks so clean. The colors are correct in the 2nd pic. I also made a bag to go with the costume for handing out candy from. I cut everything out on Tuesday, and got it done last night except for the bottom of the bag which I did this morning while my kids were getting ready for the bus.

8C9C8EDA-A78B-4A8C-AE0D-DFC29881D81C-2664-0000072EAF001C83.jpg

4841E2E3-E9EC-4AE4-844C-60AD04CBFCC2-2664-00000727443C3DF9.jpg

236A279E-C3D7-45E2-904E-82A4CC0CC7C9-2664-000007271C78F1CF.jpg

18F3DAB4-6040-4CDC-B67F-682E80F1C8A4-2664-0000072711CC410E.jpg

9EC1C7C4-ABA1-4650-85B9-C5E3325FDC44-2664-0000072707AAAE50.jpg

994089EB-9286-4F55-814B-8468449DB837-2664-00000726FD0763D7.jpg

I used this pattern.

M6142.jpg

Now I have a dress to make for my friends daughter and hopefully I can get it all done done today between laundry and dishes. It doesn't have much to it so I think I can do it. I hope the headache I had yesterday doesn't come back.

I really do need something to keep me busy in my brain. My DH is in CA right now getting ready to fly home after a big interview he had yesterday. If he gets the job, then we are moving. We still don't know where the job will be. The two main places are Mountain View, CA or Dallas, TX. The two places couldn't be more different and I don't know anyone in either place. I am torn which place I want the job to be. We could live better in TX but DH's grandmother doesn't live far from Mountain View. He visited with her last night for the first time in 18 years and she wants us out there. CA is just so very expensive to live. Ugh... moving from a town of less than 2,000 in NH mountains to either place will be hard. My brain is on overload.....

Love the costume!

I missed the quote but I like the stripes with that fabric and I don't know about doing a whole sleeve like that but a band on the end of it would look amazing.

cute shirts. I think they look fine without the ruffles. you could always pull a color from the sleeves for ruffles though.

I finished my friend's daughter's dress and It came out great and was super easy. I think I might make a few more and it should be easy to resize since I only have it in a 12. This is what I used for a pattern, it's from 1976... the year I was born.

McCalls5082.jpg

And this is the dress I made. her mom went out and got fabric without me.

Front
69328_3608067615018_1355837364_n.jpg

Back
59619_3608071375112_795124297_n.jpg

I think it's cute but lots of skin and getting cold to wear it now but maybe with a t-shirt and tights. I also think it will fit her amazing still next summer so it will get lots of wear then. I might make her a second one in a solid color too.

Very cute.

Here is the dress and pinafore that I finished today. It is from one of my new Olabelhe patterns. I like how it turned out.
Front:
PA220076.jpg

Back:
PA220079.jpg

PA220078.jpg

And a close up of the front of the pinafore and the appliques:
PA220077.jpg

Love this dress. Which pattern from Olabelhe is it?

The pants are made from the Treasure Pockets Pants pattern found in the book "Sewing For Boys". I really like the look of them and it's fun to be able to combine fabrics. I overall liked the pattern and can't wait to make more and use some of the other patterns in the book.

Then I added a simple applique to a shirt. I ended up being lucky in that the only orange I had that matched the print happened to be knit so I didn't have to do all the satin stitching. But since I was in a rush, my "straight" stitching is anything but! HA!

picture594.jpg

Sunshine

Love these pants.

Due to the long post, needs to be 2.......

What a great outfit! I love the action shot. Your little guy is a real cutie! It is hard to find nice patterns for boys, especially as they get bigger. I love that pants pattern. It is really adorable.

PA230095_zps5a38fe92.jpg

PA230096_zps774a72cc.jpg

PA230097_zps2b32c26d.jpg

Absolutely LOVE this dress!

Wow, fabulous stuff posted lately! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks and I am hopelessly behind again!

1351044297.jpg

1351044302.jpg

OK, so since my long mullti quote, I'll put it here too. Very cute outfit. Where did you get the NBC design for the shirt? I could really use that for my niece's Halloween shirt.

I get so far behind, so sorry this is long and hope I didn't forget anything, everything that is posted is very inspiring. I hope to get some items posted soon.

Here is the dress and pinafore that I finished today. It is from one of my new Olabelhe patterns. I like how it turned out.
Front:
PA220076.jpg

Back:

I know I commented on FB - but I just LOVE this dress - every detail is so stunning, and adorable!!!

Mom tried on her costume. Not the greatest picture but it looks like she likes it. My sister brought it to her and helped her get it on.

384360_3613056179729_1445138346_n.jpg

This turned out great!!!

No sewing more me this week as I am in Minneapolis for a conference. I hope I can sneak a side trip to Mall of America to visit the Disney Store, Lego Store, and Williams-Sonoma while I am here. The sad thing is that we actually have all three stores where I live, except the prices are outrageously expensive (we pay up to 1.5x for the same items even though our dollars are roughly worth about the same). Unforunately I am travelling carry on only so I am limited in what I can buy. I suppose that's good for my wallet/bank account as I am saving up for an embroidery machine. ;)

I will send you a PM... Not sure where you are staying - but I am only 30 minutes from the MOA -and I would love to do a Dismeet!!!! :thumbsup2

picture594.jpg

picture589.jpg

Sunshine

These are so cute Sunshine!!! Your DS is adorable too!!!

PA230095_zps5a38fe92.jpg

Yet again - a stunning dress!!!!!! you could make this pattern a million times over, and I think it would be one of my absolute favorite!

1351044297.jpg

1351044302.jpg

My dds would flip over this outfit! Great job!

You did the right thing in stepping away for a while when you're frustrated. Don't give up, though. Sewing isn't learned over night. (Unless you're D~) Maybe just play with some scrap material until you master it. ;)

OMG!!! Lois!!! :rotfl2: In all honesty, I didn't learn over night, well - sort of, but lots of :crazy2: and :scratchin and :scared: and :headache: and :rolleyes1 and :confused3 and pirate: happened first.

I've been busy doing lots of stuff... Sewing basically non-stop...

Here's a couple of my latest projects:

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

If you're bored and want to peruse my PTR - I have more photos there - linked in my siggy, but I don't want to post too many pictures here, because I know most of you have seen them enough already. :rolleyes1

D~

So I need to go back to quote so many wonderful things, but on a Halloween crunch. My niece would love that NBC design on her shirt, where did that come from. Looks so cute!!!

It's from Sweet Peas Place. The design isn't the best. I had to stitch it out twice because there is a gap between satin stitching on the left side and the tack down stitching for the fabric. I ended up just filling in on my sewing machine. Some of her designs are fine and others are just so-so.

I'm looking at purchasing a previously owned serger by White and need to know what I should be looking at for a serger.

Is White a decent brand? I know it does 3/4 thread and that each has a different colored threader. It also has a differential feed, whatever that is. The person is asking $50 and that's the cheapest I have seen in a year. But I don't check Craigslist even monthly so I may have missed some. Anything else I should know?

WyomingMomof6 said:
It's from Sweet Peas Place. The design isn't the best. I had to stitch it out twice because there is a gap between satin stitching on the left side and the tack down stitching for the fabric. I ended up just filling in on my sewing machine. Some of her designs are fine and others are just so-so.

Thank you, good to know, especially, since I will be on crunch time.

So, first, here are the other two adult bowling shirts. The Wall-E his/hers were for me and hubby, these two are for my best friend and her husband who are coming with us. Until they stay in a Cars family suite with my insane almost-3-year-olds that is, they may wish to never see us again! She requested Monsters Inc. Well first she requested UP but that had ZILCH in the way of fabric and I didn't yet have the embroidery machine. So she changed to Monsters Inc, which didn't exactly have a lot more fabric. I was able to get a single Fat Quarter for like $10 on ebay. (sigh) and sort of went from there. I know it's busy, but she LOVES it and cried she was so thrilled. It's an homage to all the monsters. I love the back the best.

The other is for her husband, who wanted Buzz, much easier to find fabric, but he wanted it a little less busy. I guess we can't all be John Lasseter.

I did make a couple things for myself, actually, though I have currently ruined TWO t-shirts trying to make the darn safari Minnie to go with the Mickey/Donald/Goofy I made for my sons and husband. The first time everything was all misaligned, the second time the sleeve somehow got stuck in the satin stitch and I didn't notice until it had done like an inch.
So, I did the plain white t-shirt with the Disney Characters logo, which I love, I wish it were bigger though. I can do 5x7 but could only find this logo 4x4 which was a bummer. Anyway, I added ribbon to the sleeves and shirred the sides to gather it up a little for a little less "plain white t-shirt" look.

Also I found this polka dot shirt at Target and put minnie on it. I made my husband a red w/ a corresponding mickey for the chef mickey breakfast our last day.

And... since I can't leave well-enough alone. I had made halloween shirts for my boys way early on, hand-appliqed on those stupid rabbit skins shirts that are WAY too short and I didn't know it until they were washed. So I re-made them halloween shirts and since I was sitting around watching my embroidery machine, also whipped up these pants to go with them. The fabric I had bought on impulse a month or so ago and didn't really do anything with.

And finally, we have started packing:

Tonight I am going BACK to Target to get a 3rd shirt to make for safari minnie. then I am DONE. With a capital DUH.

goteamwood said:
So, first, here are the other two adult bowling shirts. The Wall-E his/hers were for me and hubby, these two are for my best friend and her husband who are coming with us. Until they stay in a Cars family suite with my insane almost-3-year-olds that is, they may wish to never see us again! She requested Monsters Inc. Well first she requested UP but that had ZILCH in the way of fabric and I didn't yet have the embroidery machine. So she changed to Monsters Inc, which didn't exactly have a lot more fabric. I was able to get a single Fat Quarter for like $10 on ebay. (sigh) and sort of went from there. I know it's busy, but she LOVES it and cried she was so thrilled. It's an homage to all the monsters. I love the back the best.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120254865/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120255827/
The other is for her husband, who wanted Buzz, much easier to find fabric, but he wanted it a little less busy. I guess we can't all be John Lasseter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120270726/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120257371/

I did make a couple things for myself, actually, though I have currently ruined TWO t-shirts trying to make the darn safari Minnie to go with the Mickey/Donald/Goofy I made for my sons and husband. The first time everything was all misaligned, the second time the sleeve somehow got stuck in the satin stitch and I didn't notice until it had done like an inch.
So, I did the plain white t-shirt with the Disney Characters logo, which I love, I wish it were bigger though. I can do 5x7 but could only find this logo 4x4 which was a bummer. Anyway, I added ribbon to the sleeves and shirred the sides to gather it up a little for a little less "plain white t-shirt" look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120251957/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120267012/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120268092/
Also I found this polka dot shirt at Target and put minnie on it. I made my husband a red w/ a corresponding mickey for the chef mickey breakfast our last day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120251177/

And... since I can't leave well-enough alone. I had made halloween shirts for my boys way early on, hand-appliqed on those stupid rabbit skins shirts that are WAY too short and I didn't know it until they were washed. So I re-made them halloween shirts and since I was sitting around watching my embroidery machine, also whipped up these pants to go with them. The fabric I had bought on impulse a month or so ago and didn't really do anything with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120263774/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120250569/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8120258801/

Tonight I am going BACK to Target to get a 3rd shirt to make for safari minnie. then I am DONE. With a capital DUH.

Once again, these shirts are awesome! And the Minnie shirt and Halloween stuff is very cute. You are gonna have some great pictures!

I believe D learned overnight. Her stuff is always so perfectly adorable I can't imagine her ever having something like this :crazy2:

:thumbsup2 So cute. Mike and Sully are going to be all over those shirts so make sure you get a picture with them.

Love that you are packing.... I bet you can save alot of $$ by putting the kids in the luggage :rotfl2:

Love this dress. Which pattern from Olabelhe is it?
It is the Olabelhe Meg dress and pinafore. I have an idea for a long sleeved version but I have other stuff to finish up first.

Yet again - a stunning dress!!!!!! you could make this pattern a million times over, and I think it would be one of my absolute favorite!

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8622.jpg

D~
I really like the pattern. It is so appropriate for a little girl! It also occurred to me that I can make multiple pinafores for one basic dress. Now I have all kinds of ideas rolling around in my head!

Your bags are just marvelous again. I REALLY loved the picture you posted of the inside of the Donald bag. That was wonderful! I am inspired by all your amazing and creative designs!

I'm looking at purchasing a previously owned serger by White and need to know what I should be looking at for a serger.

Is White a decent brand? I know it does 3/4 thread and that each has a different colored threader. It also has a differential feed, whatever that is. The person is asking $50 and that's the cheapest I have seen in a year. But I don't check Craigslist even monthly so I may have missed some. Anything else I should know?
I don't really know anything about White. I believe it is made by one of the other major brands but I don't know who. I did read that most of the brands are made in the same few factories in Asia. It sounds like a good machine at a great price. Just bring along some of your own fabric when you go to look at it and make sure to test it out. Reading up on buying a used serger, I found that a lot of people will use highly starched pieces of fabric in order to sell a machine with tension issues. Does it do rolled hems or coverstich? If so, how difficult is it to change to those features? My guess is that it won't do coverstitch because you only find that on the high end machines.

The adult bowling shirts turned out super. I like the Buzz shirt but I LOVE the Monsters Inc shirt. It turned out super and is so creative!

Can you cut the sleeves off the Minnie shirt in order to salvage it? My kids love to cut the necks and sleeves off their t-shirts. Then you could wear it over a tank top or something.

The Halloween outfits turned out super too. Your little guys are going to have to change 3 times a day to wear everything. You are definitely going to get some wonderful pictures.

Question for Andrea?????
Andrea, what did you tell me used to clean the sticky stuff off of your embroidery hoops? Was it rubbing alcohol? My hoops need to be cleaned and I can't remember what to use!!!!

dianemom2 said:
It is the Olabelhe Meg dress and pinafore. I have an idea for a long sleeved version but I have other stuff to finish up first.

I really like the pattern. It is so appropriate for a little girl! It also occurred to me that I can make multiple pinafores for one basic dress. Now I have all kinds of ideas rolling around in my head!

Your bags are just marvelous again. I REALLY loved the picture you posted of the inside of the Donald bag. That was wonderful! I am inspired by all your amazing and creative designs!

I don't really know anything about White. I believe it is made by one of the other major brands but I don't know who. I did read that most of the brands are made in the same few factories in Asia. It sounds like a good machine at a great price. Just bring along some of your own fabric when you go to look at it and make sure to test it out. Reading up on buying a used serger, I found that a lot of people will use highly starched pieces of fabric in order to sell a machine with tension issues. Does it do rolled hems or coverstich? If so, how difficult is it to change to those features? My guess is that it won't do coverstitch because you only find that on the high end machines.

The adult bowling shirts turned out super. I like the Buzz shirt but I LOVE the Monsters Inc shirt. It turned out super and is so creative!

Can you cut the sleeves off the Minnie shirt in order to salvage it? My kids love to cut the necks and sleeves off their t-shirts. Then you could wear it over a tank top or something.

The Halloween outfits turned out super too. Your little guys are going to have to change 3 times a day to wear everything. You are definitely going to get some wonderful pictures.

My kids already change 3x a day as it is between spilling potty incidents, so no change there! I had to cut the t-shirt off the machine so I pitched it. There were holes in the sleeve and side and where the design is. The other one with the misaligned I suppose I could go over it but I think it'd be too thick. I'm going to just do it on felt and sew it on like a patch. Save me the $ for another shirt.

I've been browsing this thread during my free time today, and oh my! You ladies are amazing!
I've been sewing on and off for a while, but just really started getting into it a little over a year ago. I am very much a beginner!! I've taught myself (thank you youtube!) what I know so far, but I'm thinking that after the holidays I'll take a few classes at our local fabric store, If for no other reason than to meet some other local sewers.

For the most part I've only sewn "crafty" things. Purses, totes, baby items...all from online tutorials too. The only thing I've ever sewn from a pattern was the Amy Butler Birdie Sling (what I currently use as my purse).

Right now I'm sewing my kids Halloween costumes. I made my daughter a detective cape and hat using a Martha tutorial (I can post pictures if anyone is interested), I'm making a bat costume for ds2, and ds3 is going to be a robot ("bot bot" as he says in 2 year old words. lol)

The problem I'm having is that I can't find any Robot costume tutorials, so I'm going to have to wing it for the first time. I bought some blue fleece, and I have plenty of felt to add details. My idea is to make him a little fleece sweater (and applique on felt dials and buttons) and a fleece hat that I can applique eyes and a mouth onto.
Does anyone know of a good cheap (or free) online pattern for a fleece hat or sweater? Or a method to make my own?
I thought of taking a long sleeved shirt of his, tracing it to make a pattern (adding extra for seam allowance of course), and just sewing two pieces together. Will that work?
Thank You!

th_picture594.jpg

th_picture589.jpg

Sunshine
Those pants are awesome! And you did a super job making the matching shirt -- your dino is perfect. I can tell your little cutie liked the set.

th_PA230095_zps5a38fe92.jpg

th_PA230096_zps774a72cc.jpg

th_PA230097_zps2b32c26d.jpg
Very pretty! The fabrics show up really well in the photos. Your niece is getting very spoiled!!

I forgot when your girls are going to Dis, but are they allowing you to make them anything? I would think they'd wear an appliqued t for Dis.

th_1351044297.jpg

th_1351044302.jpg

I LOVE this set! It turned out beautiful. The Olivia is my dd's favorite pattern. I really need some $$ to buy more knits. I didn't think the instructions were bad, but they surely aren't written like Carla's! It's kind of sad that the instructions aren't detailed b/c it's an easy dress to make but could be very intimidating to anyone without much sewing knowledge.

I've been busy doing lots of stuff... Sewing basically non-stop...

Here's a couple of my latest projects:

th_IMG_8720.jpg

th_IMG_8717.jpg

th_IMG_8622.jpg

If you're bored and want to peruse my PTR - I have more photos there - linked in my siggy, but I don't want to post too many pictures here, because I know most of you have seen them enough already.

D~
Great work! Surely you didn't make a Donald bag for someone else! Are you feeling alright?

I adore the Monster's shirt! I love the colors you used. I think it's fabulous. I quite like the t's you did for yourself as well -- I can't believe that design is only a 4x4 -- I hate designs like that! That's why I like Heather -- you get all the different sizes and she often has small fills too which I use a lot. The Halloween set is really cute too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter