• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hello All

I am posting this from my phone sitting in bed at ASMu drinking horrible coffee. We always bring our own coffee but this time we are staying in the suites and they use some sort of pod so I can't use my coffee I brought with me :-(
Anyway, I popped in to tell you I saw a beautiful Ursula dress in Epcot Thursday. It was a simply sweet and the bodice was her face and her tentacles were draped over the skirt. It was fantastic!!! I don't know if it was a disboutiquer or not but it was beautifully done! So creative and just so much fun to see.
The girl and her Mom were just far enough away as they passed us that I would have looked like a crazy lady chasing through the crowd so I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

It was made by a Dis boarder :)

Hi Everyone,

I got some sad news this morning. One of our Make A Wish Big Give Kiddos passed away last night. If you could say a prayer for the family, I| know they would be greatful.....She was a brave little girl....:grouphug: I am so thankful that we had the special oppurtunity and priviledge to honor their family and make her Make a Wish trip extra special. If you havent joined in on a Big Give yet, please come and check it out - the memories for these families last a lifetime :-)

http://www.carepages.com/carepages/PrayforBridgieBoo/updates/3399658?client_code=umich&ipc=mur

Photo0159.jpg
Oh Wendy, I was so sad to read this! I remember Bridget's Big Give and her large, loving family.

Hello All

I am posting this from my phone sitting in bed at ASMu drinking horrible coffee. We always bring our own coffee but this time we are staying in the suites and they use some sort of pod so I can't use my coffee I brought with me :-(
Anyway, I popped in to tell you I saw a beautiful Ursula dress in Epcot Thursday. It was a simply sweet and the bodice was her face and her tentacles were draped over the skirt. It was fantastic!!! I don't know if it was a disboutiquer or not but it was beautifully done! So creative and just so much fun to see.
The girl and her Mom were just far enough away as they passed us that I would have looked like a crazy lady chasing through the crowd so I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Too late to help you now, but Maxwell House makes pods for 4-6cups. I try not to use anything else since my coffee stinks. Or I go and get the flavored creamers in the little cups and take that down.

... I nearly bought that set of tools that you use to turn fabric tubes after sewing them. But my friend bought a set and I thought I'd see how she likes them before I invest $70 in them. ...

I make cloth dolls and investigated a variety of turning tools. I ended up going to a hobby shop, getting a "set" of graduated metal tubes (I have no idea what they were used for officially) and I've never been happier. Total cost was, like, $8.00. That being said, I still tend to use my bamboo knitting needles too. :) I'm a little curious what kind of a set retails for $70.

Blessings be on the family with the lost child. And with you who were fortunate enough to have contact with the family.

I am way behind and need to catch up but we leave in a week on our Disney trip and I have a question.

We have made us all really cute matching shirts and Lilly some onsies. These are the first things we have made and I think they turned out great. We showed the lady at the shop and she said they were cute but we made a few mistakes. One was we used tear away backing paper, she said it would misshape in the wash. So we bought some that was cut away and used that. She also told us to get some stuff for the back of the applique on the onsie to make it soft (something with so soft in the name, sorry I forgot but can look tomorrow). We tried making my friends son a shirt using the cut away and the so soft stuff and after we made the shirt and ironed the soft stuff on the shirt didn't look good it puckered. What did we do wrong? What do you all use tear away or cut away? And what do you do for the back when its rough?

Sorry that was so long but thanks for anyone who can help

I usually use cutaway for knits and tearaway for woven. I don't usually use anything else to make it softer but I know others do. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Hello All

I hope you are having a great trip!

Hi Everyone,

I got some sad news this morning. One of our Make A Wish Big Give Kiddos passed away last night. If you could say a prayer for the family, I| know they would be greatful.....She was a brave little girl....:grouphug: I am so thankful that we had the special oppurtunity and priviledge to honor their family and make her Make a Wish trip extra special. If you havent joined in on a Big Give yet, please come and check it out - the memories for these families last a lifetime :-)

http://www.carepages.com/carepages/PrayforBridgieBoo/updates/3399658?client_code=umich&ipc=mur

th_Photo0159.jpg

Wendy, thanks for sharing the news with us. I am glad that we had a chance to make a difference in her life when she was with us. I will be thinking about her family and praying for her family in the coming days.

WOW another wonderful thread on Disboards. :)

I have not sewed (apart from bad hand sewing for sons cubs badges) since high school...Believe it or not I actually borrowed my OH's mothers (who passed away 10 yrs ago to Breast Cancer) sewing maching to try to do it..mmmnnn yes!

Anyway this thread has inspired me to get it out of storage and give sewing another go..along with planning our 1st WD trip & our wedding in May 2013 and trying to do up our new house :rotfl2: Who am I kidding!

Well done to all you magical wonderful sewers on here and I WILL be back one day with a creation of my own! :)

zokaluse said:

I have not sewed (apart from bad hand sewing for sons cubs badges) since high school...Believe it or not I actually borrowed my OH's mothers (who passed away 10 yrs ago to Breast Cancer) sewing maching to try to do it..mmmnnn yes!

Anyway this thread has inspired me to get it out of storage and give sewing another go..along with planning our 1st WD trip & our wedding in May 2013 and trying to do up our new house :rotfl2: Who am I kidding!

Well done to all you magical wonderful sewers on here and I WILL be back one day with a creation of my own! :)

Welcome and ask if you have any questions.

I make cloth dolls and investigated a variety of turning tools. I ended up going to a hobby shop, getting a "set" of graduated metal tubes (I have no idea what they were used for officially) and I've never been happier. Total cost was, like, $8.00. That being said, I still tend to use my bamboo knitting needles too. :) I'm a little curious what kind of a set retails for $70.
It is a tool set that is called Fasturn. Here is a link to their website:
http://fasturn.net/product.php?productid=17568&cat=0&bestseller=Y

Welcome to the group. We love to help new seamstresses with their sewing questions. Feel free to ask any questions that you have. We can help with most of them.

When I make a shirt, I use heavy weight cut away stabilizer and then I iron Tender Touch on the back so it isn't scratchy against the child's skin. Try ironing the shirt next time before you put the stuff on the back. Also try spraying the stabilizer with temporary adhesive spray before hooping it with your shirt. That helps keep it in place for me.

I usually use cutaway for knits and tearaway for woven. I don't usually use anything else to make it softer but I know others do. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Thank you both. We may have figured out part of the problem. We ironed on the cut away stabalizer and we are thinking maybe we weren't supposed to. It says to and the lady said to but it left behind little rough dots when we pulled it back and cut it and they didn't go away when we washed it.

We still don't know about the soft stuff on the back. When we ironed it on is when it looks like it almost shrunk it and made it look pulled. IDK what to do but I guess we will eventually figure it out.

So did you find the book???

HURRAY For the new realtor! FX your house sells super soon!

OH! INFINITY DRESS!!! I bookmarked a pattern that I plan to use someday. I always worried that the regular infinity dress wouldn't cover some things up that I'd rather others not see and this pattern fixes that problem. Looks simple enough:

http://sewlikemymom.com/infinity-dress-with-bandeau-top/#more-3552

I'm so sorry you are feeling poorly. I hate that it's dragged on this long. I must admit that I did LOL because 1st you swore you had West Nile and now you think it's from a spider bite! I'm guessing you're not a fan of the insect family, are you? Seriously though, I hope you don't mind my teasing and I DO pray that you feel better really quickly.

Oh and I lost the part about my DD when I was cleaning up quotes, but I'm guessing the confusion came from me. I have three DDs so I sometimes label them DD1, DD2, and DD3 and you probably thought that was the age. I guess I should start doing it the other way (ex: 2DD)?

Sunshine
I never found the book but the library says I can come in and fill out a form saying I returned it and I will not be charged. Like I said, I am 99% sure it was in my return pile. In the mean time, they renewed it in case I do find it.

I am not a bug fan, but I am thinking this is bug bite related b/c no one else in the house has gotten sick. I would think if it's an airborne virus the kids and dh might have gotten sick. And no, I don't mind your teasing.

I like the cleavage on regular infinity dresses -- it's about all I still have going for me LOL!

ummmm, have you been tested for Lyme disease? I hope so, you definately want to get that ruled out!
I haven't but I had a tick bite last year which got infected and they didn't bother testing me :confused3 Just gave me antibiotics. DS had really different symptoms when he had Lyme disease though, so I don't think that's what this is. If I'm not a lot better in a few days I guess I will go to the doctors -- I just know they'll be clueless though.

I am way behind and need to catch up but we leave in a week on our Disney trip and I have a question.

We have made us all really cute matching shirts and Lilly some onsies. These are the first things we have made and I think they turned out great. We showed the lady at the shop and she said they were cute but we made a few mistakes. One was we used tear away backing paper, she said it would misshape in the wash. So we bought some that was cut away and used that. She also told us to get some stuff for the back of the applique on the onsie to make it soft (something with so soft in the name, sorry I forgot but can look tomorrow). We tried making my friends son a shirt using the cut away and the so soft stuff and after we made the shirt and ironed the soft stuff on the shirt didn't look good it puckered. What did we do wrong? What do you all use tear away or cut away? And what do you do for the back when its rough?

Sorry that was so long but thanks for anyone who can help
On knits I use medium weight Floriani cut away -- it softens nicely when washed and I don't have to put a backing on it. I did use tender touch by sulky as a backing though for things I made for a BG family as one has really delicate skin. I had no problems with it.

Welcome! I can't wait to see what you make!

Thank you both. We may have figured out part of the problem. We ironed on the cut away stabalizer and we are thinking maybe we weren't supposed to. It says to and the lady said to but it left behind little rough dots when we pulled it back and cut it and they didn't go away when we washed it.

We still don't know about the soft stuff on the back. When we ironed it on is when it looks like it almost shrunk it and made it look pulled. IDK what to do but I guess we will eventually figure it out.
I have never ironed cut away -- I do what Diane does and use Dritz spray. Did you iron again after washing?

Hi Everyone,

Photo0159.jpg
Oh how sad:sad: I remember Bridget as I did some hats for her. My thoughts are with her family at the most difficult time. I'm so glad she was able to have a wish trip.

I use Tender Touch by Sulky on the back of my t-shirts. It works great. You can get it at Joanns with the 40% off coupons. I never iron on my stabilizer but I just use regular cut away, not anything special. Andrea's right that it does get much softer after washing. But with a baby, I'd still use Tender Touch on the back. They have such delicate skin. My nephew, who is autistic, has so many sensory issues so I always back what I make for him with Tender Touch.

Oh how sad:sad: I remember Bridget as I did some hats for her. My thoughts are with her family at the most difficult time. I'm so glad she was able to have a wish trip.
I remember the hats you made for Bridgie. I made a dress to go with one of the hats. I am also glad that her family was able to enjoy a wonderful trip together with her.

Hi another newbie here. Just wondering if you think it is possible for me to sew a pillowcase dress for our trip on Oct 26? I have a sewing machine but I've never even turned it on (I did take it out of the box and study the instructions and watched sewing tutorials online). Should I settle for trying to make a bib instead? Feeling a little overwhelmed by it :confused:

My WDW trips have happened at the last minute and this is the first time we're taking the children. I honestly didn't think the kids were going to WDW for at least 4 more years (so I thought I had time :rotfl:).

Thanks! Love seeing your beautiful work.

I was so excited to sew a skirt for my niece and some shirts.. I wasnt quite able to finish and post. Allison was admitted to the hospital again tonight! Please keep her in your prayers! Happy sewing. I love to see everything, it brightens my day

Here is the camera strap cover I made.....my husband said it looked like a sweat band....!!

A5C48411-3610-4889-B31C-246C32F5BF5C-2866-00000097EA3E291E.jpg
[/IMG]

I am very pleased with it

Here is the camera strap cover I made.....my husband said it looked like a sweat band....!!

It looks great ! I haven't even started mine yet, I keep putting it off.

I missed a quote but to the newbie who asked about making a pillow case dress, I think you can do it. It's all straight lines and they don't even need to be that straight. ;)

I was so excited to sew a skirt for my niece and some shirts.. I wasnt quite able to finish and post. Allison was admitted to the hospital again tonight! Please keep her in your prayers! Happy sewing. I love to see everything, it brightens my day
I hope that Allison will get better and be discharged very soon!

[/IMG]

That looks great!

Hi another newbie here. Just wondering if you think it is possible for me to sew a pillowcase dress for our trip on Oct 26? I have a sewing machine but I've never even turned it on (I did take it out of the box and study the instructions and watched sewing tutorials online). Should I settle for trying to make a bib instead? Feeling a little overwhelmed by it :confused:
Lots of people begin sewing with a pillowcase dress. A simple skirt is also super easy and great for a beginner. You should be able to make a pillowcase dress or a skirt in one day so I would think you have plenty of time to make a few things.

My WDW trips have happened at the last minute and this is the first time we're taking the children. I honestly didn't think the kids were going to WDW for at least 4 more years (so I thought I had time :rotfl:).

Thanks! Love seeing your beautiful work.
You can do it!!!! Make the dress!!!! What I would do is get some old fabric -- do not buy fabric, use an old sheet or blouse with stains and just practice sewing stitches on that.

Oh know! I feel awful for poor Alli. Isn't this the third time recently that she's been admitted? I was thinking of you recently b/c I've been neglectful. I've had some odd for virus for 2.5 weeks now. I'm hoping since it's close to three weeks I'll get better soon and then I can help you out if need be.

th_A5C48411-3610-4889-B31C-246C32F5BF5C-2866-00000097EA3E291E.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice! I like the fabrics you used. I think your dh needs an eye exam -- I don't see "sweat band" at all.

My little update: I am feeling better enough to get some things done. Yesterday one of our nice communities which is really large had a neighborhood garage sale. I could only go for two hours since ds had a soccer game, but I scored in those two hours. I got loads of clothes for dd at good prices (things I can't sew like jeans and then a few things I could sew but much cheaper to buy at a yard sale than to make). I also got a few toys which will be used as Xmas presents (since they are going to my kids they get used gifts :rotfl2:). Then we went to the soccer game and I even did a little laundry and swept the leaves along the curb of our street (and found used *paraphernalia* that got swept to the drive of the house of the teens next store for their parents to hopefully see!). I am going to try to get the rest of my laundry done today and work on a skirt that I wanted to do last week for dd. We'll see how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter