Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Well, I lost my job today but gained my PE770. The bookstore that I just got hired at a month ago closed very suddenly this morning so now I am out of a job again. I won't be looking for another one, just will go back to being a SAHM. It'll be nice, but the loss of the bookstore will be felt throughout the community and we especially loved storytime there. My daughter took her 1st steps there!

But, my machine got here today! :cheer2: I think I have it about halfway figured out and have embroidered a name and appliqued Heather's Jack Skellington. I am loving it!

So sorry to hear that you lost your job suddenly. I am glad to hear that it may work out well for you anyway. I hope you are enjoying your new machine.

Jealous of all you guys on your trip or getting ready to leave! We went Sept 18-25 last year and I am fondly remembering and planning for next October!

I am loving my machine and stitched out about 7 things last night. I was able to finish this dress for DD for the Nemo 3D movie and HOPEFULLY she will still fit into it next year for our trip. In my experience, the tied straps are better for that than elastic.
318437_10151161352423944_1610163882_n.jpg

It puckered a bit around the applique--does anyone know what I did wrong? I used heavyweight cutaway stabilizer.

It could be the fabric - if the fabric is lightweight, it could pucker a bit like that.

th_2737e5cd.jpg

Snow White Apron Dress Front
th_38e7143b.jpg

Back of Snow White
th_447c4dd8.jpg

Not finished Sally dress
th_1cee16af.jpg

Front of Belle Apron Dress
th_948ecd69.jpg

Back of Belle Apron Dress
th_f3eb80d9.jpg

Not yet appliqued princess dresses.

Not the best pictures, but just a little of what I have been sewing lately.

Great job on everything but I like the Snow White apron dress the most.

Those hats are so cute and love the BG items.:goodvibes You do amazing work with those patchwork dresses & skirts.

Thanks :blush: Andrea is still the patchwork twirl queen though.

and the outfits were a hit!!

546373_4436657157197_2039057920_n.jpg

377272_4436632396578_873526039_n.jpg

421706_4436659397253_214174960_n.jpg

253030_4436643716861_1308217739_n.jpg

It looks like your family had a great trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

th_2737e5cd.jpg
th_38e7143b.jpg
Back of Snow White
th_447c4dd8.jpg
Not finished Sally dress
th_1cee16af.jpg
th_948ecd69.jpg
Back of Belle Apron Dress
th_f3eb80d9.jpg

the outfits look great. I've been waiting for someone to do the aprons, I've haven't tried yet. I love Sally's dress. her dress had threads hanging off the bottom just like yours. I'm sure those princess dresses are going to look great finished. I ahve that fabric too !

All the pictures look great ! You look like you all had a lot of fun and Stitch looks like he loved your shirt.

Jealous of all you guys on your trip or getting ready to leave! We went Sept 18-25 last year and I am fondly remembering and planning for next October!

I am loving my machine and stitched out about 7 things last night. I was able to finish this dress for DD for the Nemo 3D movie and HOPEFULLY she will still fit into it next year for our trip. In my experience, the tied straps are better for that than elastic.

It puckered a bit around the applique--does anyone know what I did wrong? I used heavyweight cutaway stabilizer.

I love this!! What pattern is this?

I loved the other Nemo set too but forgot to quote it!

Thank you to everyone that answered my question about the easy fits. I ended up being too nervous to try something new last minute like that so I went for the trusted pillow case dress.... and it is probably a good thing bc I was so tired I made careless mistakes on that. I do still want to make the pants and have some material (well ok lots of random material) so I may get the pattern and try it out whenever I get time again. Maybe she will get some Halloween pants instead of a dress.

Another question- what other patterns on YCMT are simple enough for a beginner?

I bought a patch like this:
61ZKXBsiddL._SS500_.jpg
for use on my sons' bowling shirts, and I love the way it looks on the front of the shirts. I now have capabilities of doing my own embroidery at home, so I am searching for something similar, namely mickey and his name in the "mickey" font. He doesn't need to be laying down, he could be standing or sitting. I have plenty o' mickey PES files, and the Mickey font, but not the software to combine them. Has anyone seen an embroidery file mickey like this somewhere?

Thanks, you are all a fantastic resource. Someday I hope to be smart and talented enough to answer instead of just ask questions. :)

the outfits look great. I've been waiting for someone to do the aprons, I've haven't tried yet. I love Sally's dress. her dress had threads hanging off the bottom just like yours. I'm sure those princess dresses are going to look great finished. I ahve that fabric too !

I am still a novice sewer/seamstress, not sure the proper terminology here. I thought the aprons would be easier than the actual dresses, I may have been wrong. :lmao: Glad they are finished, and don't really want to touch satin or tulle for a long time! The aprons are going to come in so handy though. Easy on/off and they will be wearing them to MNSSHP! yippy pixiedust:

I put the photos on incorrectly.. they should show up in the original post I had put in.

Weird...I see them now. Everything looks great and looks like you had lots of fun!

I loved the other Nemo set too but forgot to quote it!

Thank you to everyone that answered my question about the easy fits. I ended up being too nervous to try something new last minute like that so I went for the trusted pillow case dress.... and it is probably a good thing bc I was so tired I made careless mistakes on that. I do still want to make the pants and have some material (well ok lots of random material) so I may get the pattern and try it out whenever I get time again. Maybe she will get some Halloween pants instead of a dress.

My dress was the Simply Sweet by Carla C on YCMT, which, to answer your other question, is another simple pattern for a beginner. It has tons of variations you can make so you won't get tired of it for a while. Her Portrait Peasant is also easy and versatile to make tops and dresses. :thumbsup2

Love the Nemo dress and I hope it still fits next year. As for the puckering, I agree with other that the fabric might not have been tight enough in the hoop. Also, since that design seems to have lots of fill stitches you probably would want to "float" another piece of stabilizer under the hoop.

The apron dresses are beautiful. I do not blame you for not wanting to sew on satin again! They will work out really great for Disney and photo-ops. Sally looks great too.

Looks like you had a great trip. Your DS looks just like Jake but your DH's makeup is kind of scaring me! But I guess that what pirates are supposed to do! pirate: Your DD looks beautiful in her Cinderella gown.

I bought a patch like this: for use on my sons' bowling shirts, and I love the way it looks on the front of the shirts. I now have capabilities of doing my own embroidery at home, so I am searching for something similar, namely mickey and his name in the "mickey" font. He doesn't need to be laying down, he could be standing or sitting. I have plenty o' mickey PES files, and the Mickey font, but not the software to combine them. Has anyone seen an embroidery file mickey like this somewhere?

Thanks, you are all a fantastic resource. Someday I hope to be smart and talented enough to answer instead of just ask questions. :)
Sorry, I have not seen that design but I did love it on your bowling shirts.

Love the Nemo dress and I hope it still fits next year. As for the puckering, I agree with other that the fabric might not have been tight enough in the hoop. Also, since that design seems to have lots of fill stitches you probably would want to "float" another piece of stabilizer under the hoop.

Thank you. I had not heard anything about floating another piece of stabilizer under the hoop--does that mean you just stick it under the hoop without hooping it? Just lay it in there on top of the throat plate (if that's what it's called on embroidery machines)?

Ugh trying to decide if I wait and buy the PE770 new (but without warranty) (about $850 US with tax and duty) or see if I can talk a seller down in her price for a Janome 350E that is 4 years old and no warranty either since it is used.
She is asking $850 CDN which is probably reasonable for what she paid new.
What to do.... what to do.... I just don't know. I shouldn't do either right now, but I worry if the Janome is the right choice, if I don't try to offer her less and see if she'll go down in price then I'll loose out on it.

Well, I lost my job today but gained my PE770. The bookstore that I just got hired at a month ago closed very suddenly this morning so now I am out of a job again. I won't be looking for another one, just will go back to being a SAHM. It'll be nice, but the loss of the bookstore will be felt throughout the community and we especially loved storytime there. My daughter took her 1st steps there!

But, my machine got here today! :cheer2: I think I have it about halfway figured out and have embroidered a name and appliqued Heather's Jack Skellington. I am loving it!
Sorry about your job, but you'll be so busy with your new machine that you'll be glad for the free time.

Adorable! My dd could wear the dresses with the tie straps for three years, so wise choice.

For cottons I hoop one piece of tear away. I attach the cotton with pins -- I used to hoop it but found I was pulling the cotton too tight doing that and that is what would cause puckers. So I hoop one piece of tear away, spray that with the Dritz spray and neatly lay my cotton on it and pin it. Then I float one pieces of tear away under the hoop (above the throat plate just like you described). I only use cut away for knits. I do find that very thin cottons still pucker. You may have to experiment a little but for me that is the best way to do it and I have the PE 770. I just mailed a surprise gift that I appliqued on cotton so I should be able to post pics of it early next week -- there are no puckers.

th_2737e5cd.jpg
th_38e7143b.jpg
th_447c4dd8.jpg

th_1cee16af.jpg
th_948ecd69.jpg
th_f3eb80d9.jpg

s.

Someone's been busy making her little girl happy! Everything looks super :)

Thanks for sharing the photos :) So glad the outfits went over well.

That's so cute! I don't think I've seen that Nemo fabric before. I hope that the dress still fits for your next trip.

2737e5cd.jpg

447c4dd8.jpg

Not finished Sally dress
1cee16af.jpg

f3eb80d9.jpg

The dresses all look great! I love the Snow White dress the best though. It must have been hard to work with all that satin and tulle. Those are difficult fabrics! What are you going to put on the front of the princess dresses?

I agree that the Simple Sweet dress is perfect for a beginner. I've made it about a million times and I don't get tired of it. Plus there is a lot of room on it to do appliques. Don't buy the stripwork jumper pattern too though. They are extremely similar and the Simply Sweet is more versatile.

Ugh trying to decide if I wait and buy the PE770 new (but without warranty) (about $850 US with tax and duty) or see if I can talk a seller down in her price for a Janome 350E that is 4 years old and no warranty either since it is used.
She is asking $850 CDN which is probably reasonable for what she paid new.
What to do.... what to do.... I just don't know. I shouldn't do either right now, but I worry if the Janome is the right choice, if I don't try to offer her less and see if she'll go down in price then I'll loose out on it.
Which machine has more features? The biggest feature that seems to be missing on the Brother is the ability to combine and edit some designs on the machine? Does the Janome do that? If it does, that means you can add your own wording to things without using other software.

Glad that the outfits were such a hit! I hope you had a great trip! It so much fun to see the kids in the outfits.

The dresses all look great! I love the Snow White dress the best though. It must have been hard to work with all that satin and tulle. Those are difficult fabrics! What are you going to put on the front of the princess dresses?

I will be putting a large Sleeping Beauty crown on them. My brilliant idea to make outfits for all 4 of my kids before our surprise trip is seeming a little so not brilliant right now.

Page 51?! What happened to my moving buddy. . . .maybe she's not on -here much anymore either -;)

J

lovely! I love the nemo fabric.is that a new one? It is perfect for a skirt!

2737e5cd.jpg

Back of Snow White

Not finished Sally dress

All of the dresses were great but this one is my favorite I think! I need to get brave and try sewing with satins....

SO cute!!!

i will 3rd the simply sweet...it took me a long time after I bought it to make it and it was so easy! I made DD several versions for our trip..the directions are SUPER clear and the dress is so versatile! I also love Carla Cs Portrait peasant top and dress...it was actually the one i did before the simply sweet...its also pretty easy and lots and lots of options. I was also able to "princessify " both of those patterns really easily !

48 ours and i will be in FL...:banana::banana::banana:

The simply sweet is one of my favorite dresses. I have made several variations of it. Its also great because it can be worn as just the jumper when its hot or I can add a short sleeved or long sleeved tee under it if it cools down. It makes it a year round dress that way. You can change up the skirt on it. I like to make gored circle skirts on it, but you can do patchwork skirts, simple rectangle tube skirts, ruffled skirts, stripwork skirts etc. You can change up the straps and use elastic, ties or buttons. You can also have jumper or halter style bodices with it.

Its a toss up with my girls between a simply sweet and a tee-shirt dress as their favorites to wear for every day wear because they are comfy. And they are easy for me to make so that is a plus.

tigger_mommy: Love the outfits. I think the apron idea is fabulous for long times at the park. I also agree that satin is a pain to work with.

Thank you. I had not heard anything about floating another piece of stabilizer under the hoop--does that mean you just stick it under the hoop without hooping it? Just lay it in there on top of the throat plate (if that's what it's called on embroidery machines)?
Yup, you don't need to hoop it, just lay it down between the hoop and the throat plate (I guess it is called that). This piece doesn't have to be as big as the one you hoop, just a little bigger then design. Just be careful that this piece doesn't get folded over onto itself if you have to take the hoop out and put it back in. I usually add the "floating" piece of stabilizer after all my appliques have been tacked down and cut out, before the satin stitches start.

Was sewing myself a dress and heard a noise. I broke the tip off the needle and when I took it apart to get it out, realized that I broke my overlock foot too. :( don't know how that happened but I don't want to wash the dress until I get that done to it. Dang !! I guess I'm too hard on my machine.

I will be putting a large Sleeping Beauty crown on them. My brilliant idea to make outfits for all 4 of my kids before our surprise trip is seeming a little so not brilliant right now.
That sounds very cute!

Enabler Alert
I noticed that there is a Brother PE770 that is up for auction on ebay. It is going to close in like an hour. Up for auction for only $400 with no bids on it. Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150895700386&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Seems like a deal to me so I thought I'd post it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter