Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hello! I'm new to the boards but this is EXACTLY the board I've been looking for for years :) I am planning a surprise trip for my 3 girls to DW for Christmas (we'll go in January) and the part of the trip I enjoy the most is the outfits!!! DD12 is "too cool" for matchy boutique, so I'm in search of funky, fun things to do for her as well. So far I found a $3 Mickey tee which I am going to cut up and turn into a vest with Mickey on the back and also a $7 classic Mickey sweatshirt that I will cut the collar off so she can wear it with a cami "flashdance style." Anyone have any other fun ideas for the tweenie 'tude so she can be as cute as her still compliant sisters? ~Katie

Kirsta is 11 and she likes to wear tunics that I've made Disney princess. My favorite is the Snow White, but she's too tall for it now. This year is a new Merida tunic.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience with the Janome 350E I found a used one locally, and although the price point is a bit high if there is some room for negotiation it would be cheaper than ordering the PE770.

I don't have experience with the Janome embroidery. But I have a Janome sewing and serger. Love them both!!! They are good sturdy machines. My dealer swears they come with a complimentary brick. haha.

Holy cow, I cannot even keep up with this thread! Everything is so amazing!! :)

I know this isn't an outfit...but I DID sew it!!! I am a stay at home Momma on very tight budget so often I make things because I REALLY want them but don't have the extra money in the budget to buy them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Minnie ear umbrella stroller at Walmart, but we are so close to our trip and just two weeks ago had to buy a new washer and dryer because they both died on us a week apart! So I just don't have the extra spending money for something that I really don't need. Luckily my Momma is super awesome and gave me a hunk of Minnie fabric leftover from something she made for my 16 month old. She gave me the red fabric about 7 years ago when I really started sewing heavily and the black was scraps from another project. Not too bad for FREE!!! :) Now we have a Minnie ear stroller! PLUS, it's my big stroller, not the umbrella. So happy with this!!!

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

That is an adorable stroller cover!

pumpkinpatchquilter: I think having an OAK Minnie stroller is way cooler than the umbrella kinds. Awesome job!

If I remember right that machine only has a 4 x 4 hoop. You might be better going with the SE-400 or 500 which I believe hook up to a computer to download files.

My advice is to save for a bigger hoop. I started with a 4 x 4 hoop and was immediately struck by hoop envy.

As for bobbin thread it is generally white and you will need type A for a brother machine.
I agree that you shouldn't buy something with only a 4x4 hoop. I also started out with that and almost immediately wanted to upgrade to a larger hoop size. Within 6 months I bought my Ellageo.

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG
That's terrific! You won't have any trouble finding your stroller at Disney. Much better than an umbrella stroller from Walmart!

Also wondering if anyone has any experience with the Janome 350E I found a used one locally, and although the price point is a bit high if there is some room for negotiation it would be cheaper than ordering the PE770.
I know that Chiara has a Janome serger that she loves. Try looking on Sewingpatternreview.com. They have lots of sewing and embroidery machine reviews. I love that they are done by real users so you can get an honest opinion.

BTW, I was on Sewingpatternreview again the other day and up popped a picture of Sandi's little Gracie when she was a tiny little thing. It is so funny to keep seeing her pop up on the reviews that I am checking.

BTW, I was on Sewingpatternreview again the other day and up popped a picture of Sandi's little Gracie when she was a tiny little thing. It is so funny to keep seeing her pop up on the reviews that I am checking.

Sandi has submitted soooo many reviews on that site it is hard to stay away from her. ;) When she first started posting here, I recognized an outfit from pattern review. And I was all "Hey, you're the Sparkly Sandi, aren't you?" (for those that haven't seen her on that site, her signature is all glittery.)

I know this isn't an outfit...but I DID sew it!!! I am a stay at home Momma on very tight budget so often I make things because I REALLY want them but don't have the extra money in the budget to buy them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Minnie ear umbrella stroller at Walmart, but we are so close to our trip and just two weeks ago had to buy a new washer and dryer because they both died on us a week apart! So I just don't have the extra spending money for something that I really don't need. Luckily my Momma is super awesome and gave me a hunk of Minnie fabric leftover from something she made for my 16 month old. She gave me the red fabric about 7 years ago when I really started sewing heavily and the black was scraps from another project. Not too bad for FREE!!! :) Now we have a Minnie ear stroller! PLUS, it's my big stroller, not the umbrella. So happy with this!!!

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 I would love to make a shade cover for my stroller. Did you follow a pattern? I am going to check your blog out... Great job!:)

That IS AWESOME!!!! I love it. :goodvibes

Than you so very much! :)

Super cute.

Thank you!!

That is an adorable stroller cover!

Thank you so much!!!

this is so cute and clever!!!

I am in the middle of "we-leave-in-5-days-and-i-still-have-to-pack " insanity :banana::banana::banana: as insanity goes it is at least the good kind!!

Thank you so much!!! We are 14 days out and I'm FREAKING out...I don't know if I'll be able to hold it together enough to type at 5 days lol* Have fun!!!

That's terrific! You won't have any trouble finding your stroller at Disney. Much better than an umbrella stroller from Walmart!

Thank you!! Hahahaha, hopfully nobody swipes it!! LOL* At least if they do though I'll spot 'em a mile away. :)

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 I would love to make a shade cover for my stroller. Did you follow a pattern? I am going to check your blog out... Great job!:)

Thank you so much!! That's the HUGEST kindest compliment!!! LOL* I made the pattern up as I went but I'm putting a tutorial up on my blog...although I'm in the midst of Disney panic since we're leaving in two weeks so it might take me a while to get the whole tutorial up.

pumpkinpatchquilter: I think having an OAK Minnie stroller is way cooler than the umbrella kinds. Awesome job!

THANK YOU!! It felt so good when my older daughters came home from school and were like, "awww Mom that's so cute!" LOL* That makes me SO happy!!!

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

I love this! So very cute and you'll have no problem spotting it in the endless stroller parking areas!

That's the machine I'm looking at, but I've only gotten reviews from Google. I would love to hear from someone who actually has one! I absolutely adore my Janome sewing machine... Moving up to that from the Brother I started on was like trading up from a Chevy to a Lexus. So I'm kind of leaning towards another Janome for my embroidery machine but I'm still on the fence because the PE770 does get so many positive reviews overall.

I missed pulling the quote of the bowling shirts... they are adorable.:goodvibes

My girls modeled their dresses (with their unbrushed hair) this morning.

IMG_5714 by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

They both love them.

Too cute!

Hey ladies, I need your help with something....about a year and half ago i bought some mickey jedi and other disney/starwars embroidery designs. since my computer crashed and i was unable to recover them and i must have deleted the original email. Looking at my paypal history looks like i bought them from designedbydena. But i cannot find this shop anywhere. Has the name changed or is she just not in businss anymore? Is there somewhere else i can find these designs?

TIA,
Jodi

That was DigitalbyDesign. Her FB page is gone but word is she will soon be coming out with her own website. :confused3 I tried emailing her several times and never received an answer but all her files were sent in emails. Did you keep those? If so you should still be able to download them again.

Hello! I'm new to the boards but this is EXACTLY the board I've been looking for for years :) I am planning a surprise trip for my 3 girls to DW for Christmas (we'll go in January) and the part of the trip I enjoy the most is the outfits!!! DD12 is "too cool" for matchy boutique, so I'm in search of funky, fun things to do for her as well. So far I found a $3 Mickey tee which I am going to cut up and turn into a vest with Mickey on the back and also a $7 classic Mickey sweatshirt that I will cut the collar off so she can wear it with a cami "flashdance style." Anyone have any other fun ideas for the tweenie 'tude so she can be as cute as her still compliant sisters? ~Katie

:welcome: My DD9 isn't in to the customs that much though she did wear skirts and tshirts that I made.... but I did have to bribe her with some extra Disney spending money:rotfl:

That is adorable:goodvibes

QUICK QUESTION... hopefully someone sees this soon...

I ordered fabric to make my daughter pants for apple day at school tomorrow... the fabric just got here and I have never made pants before. I was planning to get the easy fit pattern from YCMT but I need to know... what else do I need to have in order to make these pants and about how long will it take a beginner to do this? If it is too hard or involves something I don't have at home then she will just get a pillowcase dress.

Thanks!

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG
Wow!! This is amazing and so adorable!!

I ordered fabric to make my daughter pants for apple day at school tomorrow... the fabric just got here and I have never made pants before. I was planning to get the easy fit pattern from YCMT but I need to know... what else do I need to have in order to make these pants and about how long will it take a beginner to do this? If it is too hard or involves something I don't have at home then she will just get a pillowcase dress.

Thanks!

elastic and thread.

And, finally, my new logo. For those who are new, I explained the name a thread or two ago. It comes from an old song that I love called "Mairzy Doats". There is lots of history, both national and personal attached to the song.

Those are my own kids. I took photos of them on our swingset and my dh sillouette-ized them! I'm SO thrilled with how it came out! (I removed all contact info, so I hope that will satisfy the censors! I just wanted to share the final product with all of you who have encouraged me all year, not make sales here!)

logosanscontactinfo.jpg

I probably won't be on much this week while I finish getting ready for the sale, but I thank you all very much for ALL the kind words this year!!! It means a lot to me!!!

Regards,
C.

Your business card looks great (and how nice to have your kids' picture in your business card!) I am sure the sale will go smoothly and your hard work will be recognized.

Hello, I LOVE everything you all make. I have a quick question about the machines you use. My mom has sewn since she was little but I had a baby girl 3 months ago and she is really getting back into it. Her sewing machine broke recently. I was showing her what you all do and told her I wanted her to be able to do that with all the cute appliques and stuff.

So my question is: Is there a sewing machine that does this thats better than others and is not too expensive?

I know we have a place that sells Bernia's and I think another that sells brothers. Is one brand better than the other?

Thanks. THis is going to be her christmas present to herself.

I agree with others about getting her machine fixed. She can easily do appliques "by hand" if her machine has zig zag stitches.

Taking a short break from sewing. I'm trying to sew up a skirt and I just realized I've bungled all the math involved with it and am going to have to punt and see if I can salvage things later. *sigh*

Sunshine

I am sorry to hear that your project is not going well. Hopefully a break will help you with it.

I agree that the Carla C bowling shirts are adorable for boys. We are taking my twin boys for their 3rd birthday and I have now made more of these shirt than we need. (I keep finding new fabrics and ideas!) I blogged about the previous ones I made and posted them here on a previous thread. Here are the blog posts if you want to see examples.
Shhh. It's a Surprise
A Whole New (Disney) Wardrobe

In fact I let my boys wear the shirts for the first time yesterday, I am worried if I just put them into regular rotation before our trip they will ruin them. We attended a birthday party for a friend's twin girls, it was Minnie Mouse themed so I let my boys wear mickey shirts. I also made the birthday girls' dresses.

And the Birthday Girls waiting for presents:

Great job on all the outfits!

My girls modeled their dresses (with their unbrushed hair) this morning.

IMG_5714 by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

They both love them.

Great job on the dresses! It looks like they liked them too!

Have any Canadians ordered The Brother Pe770? If so where from? I know many order it off Amazon, but I was hoping to find some Canadian sites to skip the duties.

Also If I remember correctly many people buy the pre-wound bobbins so I'm assuming you just pick the color that matches as close as possible to your top stitch color?
Can anyone also advise me to the cost of buying the prewound bobbins.

anyone have experience with this machine? http://www.amazon.ca/Brother-HE240-...DY8D9F8SPIWY&qid=1347241196&s=generic&sr=1-18

Thanks
Erin

I ordered my 270D from Amazon and had it shipped to Pop Century. It was way cheaper than a comparable model here (less than $300 vs. $999!) As the 270D is not a model available in Canada, I did not get any help from Brother when I had problems with the machine. I ended up fixing it myself.

I am truly debating what I should do when I upgrade my embroidery machine. I think I will probably get it from the US. I will call the customer service department to see if the warranty is valid here before I buy.

I just use white bobbin thread for everything, though I do have some black thread too.

How about T-shirts? I think the Peace, Love and Mickey design is quite popular with tweens.

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

This is such a great idea! Great job!

Thanks!

You will need elastic and thread. The Easy Fits are very easy to put together. I think you will need a few hours to put it together at the most.

Thanks!

3/4 inch elastic.

I made my first pair as a beginner and it took me maybe 2 hrs...and I was a TOTAL beginner and that includes the measuring and pattern making. Now since the pattern is done I can whip out a pair in under an hour

My DD is 10 so a bit younger, but also not into the little girl dresses anymore..but she wanted to match her little sister, so I made here these tops in the same fabrics and she really liked them, and so did some of her friends.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/102934216/one-shoulder-ruffle-top-pdf-tweens
http://oliverands.com/free-patterns/ruffled-halter
(I know that second ones shows a toddler, I was really worried but she loved the result..its girly but not fussy or little girly..if that makes sense..)

I dont know if those would be warm enough for WDW in jan tho.

I would post pics but they are packed into a suitcase right now...I will have pics when we return tho! :dance3:

3girlsmommy: I thought about your question some more and I have a few ideas:

How about using pieces of fabric from your other kids' outfits and sewing them on as "patches" on a shirt or a pair of shorts? This is an example of what I am thinking about (I made this for a boy for a Big Give):
Patches on the shorts, before they were sewn on:
CooperShorts.jpg

CooperShorts1.jpg

Finished product (with the matching skirt for the sister):
KeirasGive.jpg

You can do the patches "crazy quilt" style and it could be fun to mix and match different pieces with different sizes and shapes.

Or something with a touch of Disney whimsy like this? (I made this for a teen for a different Give - this is a modified Marlo top):
BrisShirt.jpg

Or there is my good-old stand by of using Disney fabric as the accent pieces on a Patricia tunic. I made a number of these for adults and teens for various Gives:
KadesGiveTinkTunic.jpg

KhelseysTop.jpg

I hope these ideas are helpful to you!

I realized I hadn't shared pictures of the projects from the summer, so I better take a minute to do so!

As I was sick for a good part of the summer, my productivity was quite low. I made the following items for Big Gives:

Sunhats for a girl, side A:
Gabby_Hat_Side1.jpg

Side B:
Gabby_Hat_Side2.jpg

For another Give, I did a set of sea life/Nemo based theme tops a boy and a girl.
Front of the girl's top:
ReedsGiveDressFront.jpg

Back of the top:
ReedsGiveDressBack.jpg

Front of the boy's top:
ReedsGiveShirt.jpg

(Credit goes to Heather for designing such cute sea animals!)

I did a set of 6 burpies for DH's cousin's baby shower. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of them before sending them in the mail.

I also made my first eye-spy bag this summer. DH was great in helping me find little trinkets to put into the bag. We picked up random things from garage sales (that people were happy to give away). We had coins, sea shells, marbles, scrabble tiles, a monopoly house, buttons, and Lego pieces in the bag. It was a present for our best friend's daugther (she is turning 3 in the fall). Again, I forgot to take a picture of it. I don't think she quite understands the concept of eye-spy bags yet. She is currently using the bag as a pillow for her Minnie Mouse :rotfl2:.

I still need to finish going through the pictures from our trip. I will share some pictures when I get a chance.

Welcome, I'm not too much help but I would suggest a tunic type top and use some of the same fabric as the others or a tee with a skirt.

DSCN0519.JPG

DSCN0523.JPG

I love it! And you will definately not see another stroller like it. If I were to ever have another kid I might have to customize the stroller now.

Thanks!

The easy fit pants were my first sewing project. I think it took me around two to three hours from hitting print to finishing. Now I can whip them up pretty fast but it is a great beginner project. Good luck and don't forget to share some pics when you're done!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter