• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I finally got a chance to take my PE770 into the local Brother service place today, (which hasn't been easy since I didn't care to take my twin toddlers with me for that particular errand.)
The crotchety old guy who owns the shop for longer than I have been alive was able to show me how to clear out what was errant thread in the path of the thread, which explains the intermittent issue with it stopping. Basically there was a little bit of thread that was sometimes causing the sensors to think there was a tension issue. So...
While I was there he pretty much all but said how crappy the PE770 was a terrible machine and tried about a half-dozen ways to convince me I should just return it and buy one from him... Also tried to convince me that for ONLY $1000 he would sell me a used/refurb older machine that only uses floppy disks (of which I don't have a computer that can read/write and haven't since 1998.) Which, BTW, I am sure is an awesome machine, and it DID have a bigger hoop, but I was a little put off by the suggestion that my machine sucks (I don't think it does, I am pretty happy.) and the hard sell. Unfortunately it is the closest Brother dealer/service place, so I am hoping I don't need to visit often, but it is not implausible. Thankfully he didn't charge me for the service, but he did manage to drop the screw into the bottom of the machine, so I am gonna want to fish that out before I start anything, since he says it shouldn't bother anything, but somehow the idea of a random screw floating around under my bobbin makes me sort of nervous. sigh.
fingers crossed that the removal of that thread will make it all better.

I think I figured out my machine and am going to attempt to try to finish my dress today. I cleared my head this morning by getting to sleep in a bit and then washing the kitchen floor. Once i put everything back, i will try my machine again.
I'm glad you think you got your machine figured out and hooray for washing the kitchen floor!

I finally got a chance to take my PE770 into the local Brother service place today, (which hasn't been easy since I didn't care to take my twin toddlers with me for that particular errand.)
The crotchety old guy who owns the shop for longer than I have been alive was able to show me how to clear out what was errant thread in the path of the thread, which explains the intermittent issue with it stopping. Basically there was a little bit of thread that was sometimes causing the sensors to think there was a tension issue. So...
While I was there he pretty much all but said how crappy the PE770 was a terrible machine and tried about a half-dozen ways to convince me I should just return it and buy one from him... Also tried to convince me that for ONLY $1000 he would sell me a used/refurb older machine that only uses floppy disks (of which I don't have a computer that can read/write and haven't since 1998.) Which, BTW, I am sure is an awesome machine, and it DID have a bigger hoop, but I was a little put off by the suggestion that my machine sucks (I don't think it does, I am pretty happy.) and the hard sell. Unfortunately it is the closest Brother dealer/service place, so I am hoping I don't need to visit often, but it is not implausible. Thankfully he didn't charge me for the service, but he did manage to drop the screw into the bottom of the machine, so I am gonna want to fish that out before I start anything, since he says it shouldn't bother anything, but somehow the idea of a random screw floating around under my bobbin makes me sort of nervous. sigh.
I'm glad that he was able to easily fix the machine. Too bad about the hard sell on the other machine. It sounds like he was urging you to buy the Brother Ult2002 which is something like the machine that I have. I absolutely LOVE my Ellageo but it also uses floppy disks. I easily found a way around that though. I bought a floppy disk writer that plus into a USB port on my computer. It cost about $12 on Amazon. Now I have my entire library of embroidery designs on floppy disks in my sewing room.

Did anyone else get the promo e-mail about Brother's new model line? I'm still dreaming of an embroidery machine and now I've got a new one to dream about (at least until I find out the price anyway). http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=VE2200#.UEouIo1lTws
I didn't get the email about it but I did see it on the website. I was very interested and asked about the Babylock version of it when I took my Ellageo in for service earlier this week. It is very expensive. The lady at the store told me that they expect the new machine to cost $6995 but they plan to sell it for $4995. That seems super expensive for an embroidery only machine. Of course the Quattro sells for $10K so I guess it is much less than that.

Also, I can't remember if it was on here or on FB that we had a discussion about sewing the legs on diaper covers. Well, today I saw an adorable baby outfit posted on the Fabric Fairy's website. The woman who made it did a couple of lines of shirring around the legs. That seems like the perfect solution to me. The shirring puts very little elastic close to the legs and is very stretchy.

Sept 21? that the night I'm considering going to MNSSHP! (I havent got tickets yet) I have to put together a costume in the next couple of days. love your costumes, so clever!

!

yep..we leave next sat and already have out mnsshp tix at will call :cool1:

thanks everyone ont eh costumes...i wanted something easy and when the kids came up with the idea it sort of all fell together. I was going to try to applique mike and sully then realized it was insane given everything I still have to do :rotfl:

TinkNH said:
Delta is causing me some undue stress this morning, as they did not give us seat assignments for our flight and when I called was told I can try Sat and MAY be able to get SOME of my family together. Seriously I am flying with kids..they need to be with at least 1 parent. you can split us into 2 groups and put us on opposite ends, but there needs to be one parent with each kid:mad:
I shoulda stuck with jetBlue...

They did this to us for our Feb trip this year!!! Had all our seats and before we left, had a change of plane (long before the trip) so had to reseat people. They could not explain to me how the heck they needed to reseat the WHOLE plane yet couldn't manage to get traveling parties together! My mom, myself and 3 yo had seats in DIFFERENT ROWS! HOW DOES AN AIRLINE SEAT A 3yo ALONE???? Stupid airline couldn't do ANYTHING! NOT EVEN AT CHECK IN!!! WE had to wait til the plane boarded to get on and ask passengers if they would not mind switching seats as they were seated next to a 3yo who would now be traveling alone! Yeh I made sure to announce to people that I had to do the airlines job for then because they were to stupid to do it for us!!!

Needless to say, I filed a complaint with Delta upon our return and got not only double miles for all of us because of their rude and incompetent gate attendants in Atlanta, but $100 vouchers for future use...oh good! CAN'T even use the stupid things to book flights together because you can only use ONE voucher per reservation unless I book through a human (which costs $25 a freakin person!!!). ARGH!!! Stupid Delta! Whatever you do, just remember there will be some nice folks on your flight who WILL switch seats for ya!

When I took my Ellageo in for servicing yesterday I asked about the new machine. They said that they won't have one in for people to look at for another couple of weeks. She said that she thought it would be priced at $6995 but they would sell for $4995. That seems awfully high for an embroidery only machine. I could easily buy a very nice combo machine for that price!

I just picked up my regular machine for repairs today, and they have the new embroidery machines out now. they are gigantic and gorgeous. They don't post the prices in this store and they guy was busy. So I have no idea how much they run.

Well, after fixing my machine, or getting to work again, I proceeded to pin the sleeves into the dress and sew each of them in. I wanted to check how it looked so far before I overlocked the seams and so I turned the top half right side out. I had sewed them both on inside out ! UGH !!

So I took took my seam ripper and carefully ripped out both of them. I took a 30 minute breathe and tried again on one sleeve. Turned it right side and it looked okay so I took another 30 minute breathe.

I finished it except for some taking in around the collar. I need a friend that sews to help me with that since the biggest gap is at the back. Here is a picture of it so far with the wig I got.

137363F2-FD79-43F8-8970-0B487A9590BC-3355-0000059A9245504F.jpg

I made it shorter so I wouldn't have problems getting on and off rides and wouldn't step on it. I'll post pictures of the arrow bag once I have all the sewing done.

Just got home from camping for five days, so while I work on laundry, I'll try to get caught up.

Other than having to sew the buttons on the dress - Dress 1 of 2 is finished (This is the size 7 - I am finishing up the size 2 right now). This is most likely for MVMCP but depending on what else I sew it might end up being for our Epcot Candlelight Procession/Christmas Santa Day.

upload by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

I'm happy with how it came together. My DD tried it on this morning before I finished the lining and it looks great on her.

Very pretty! I'll be working on a similar type dress very soon for our MVMCP on Dec. 2nd. I've got the red Mickey Christmas fabric. Also, you posted about how many outfits you have left to do...have you considered doing laundry part way through the week? I usually make outfits for half the trip and do laundry. It saves luggage space and they get more use from the clothes I spend so much time on. :)

blessedmom4 asked me to post these here, this is last years costumes, flynn rapunzel and pascal (my hair glows!):

and the detail shots of cinderella:
251512_10151185821920469_136421736_n.jpg

Everything is simply amazing! I've been to some cons over the years and your work is on par with the master seamstresses I've run across! Take a bow! And, please continue to join us here!

Super cute!

I finished my daughter's Cinderella dress that the mice made. I am including a picture of the dress, but there is also a white underskirt that I still have to put the waist in. I made it removable so that she can wear the entire dress to our 1900 Park Fare ADR, but she can take off the underskirt when we head back to MK for the evening. It will still be hot. :)

We leave in 9 days!! Almost all my sewing is completed! Woohoo!!

253104_3982329995741_136056221_n.jpg

Very pretty! She will be a hit!

I'd wait a little bit. Brother is coming out with a brand new embroidery only machine that will go up to a 12x7 frame. It is supposed to come out in early October. Besides that I don't know of an embroidery only machine that has such a large field. Most of the machines that have a larger embroidery field are also sewing machines.

Here is a link to the Brother website with the new machine:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=VE2200&ref=mega#.UEayKSLAETA

I am hoping to look at it and play with it a little bit at the Sewing Expo in October. I really hope that they have one there.

I am drooling on that machine, but for that price I would buy a used multi-needle before I'd spend $5000 on a single needle machine! Actually, that is my long-term plan. ;)

So we are leaving for Disney in three days :cool1: Yeah! I finally have some pictures to post. Our computer died earlier in the summer so I had no way of transfering my photos. I did post of facebook but could not get on here. SO here are two:

th_IMG_3587.jpg

th_IMG_3598.jpg

th_IMG_3556.jpg

th_IMG_3559.jpg

I made 15 total dresses for my two girls. I made BS a copy of LS birthday dress. Here it is, I think I posted it before...

th_IMG_2462.jpg

Gorgeous as always! I can't wait to see in action pics!

Its not sewing..I painted these but I was excited about them and wanted to share...hope thats ok.

These are our costumes for MNSSHP on the 21st. DH and i will be CDA agents, DD10 is Sully, DS4 is Mike and DD4 is Boo

th_IMG_5997.jpg

10 more sleeps:cool1:

Very clever costumes! Please post pics afterwards!

Here is what I made today. My embroidery machine is still in the shop for its tune up so I couldn't do any appliques on it.
P9060024.jpg

(Oops, I goofed up the photo link.) How pretty! Is is for your niece or a Big Give?

Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

As someone else mentioned, a narrow rolled hem is the easiest solution. You can also run a line of stitching about a quarter inch from the inner edge and pull the threads slightly to take in the fullness you're talking about. You could also just serge the edge, or do a serged rolled hem.

Also, I can't remember if it was on here or on FB that we had a discussion about sewing the legs on diaper covers. Well, today I saw an adorable baby outfit posted on the Fabric Fairy's website. The woman who made it did a couple of lines of shirring around the legs. That seems like the perfect solution to me. The shirring puts very little elastic close to the legs and is very stretchy.

That was here, for me. Shirring does sound like a good idea. I kind of shortened the process with the pattern we were talking about. I'll try to post some pics later in the week. I'm in a huge crunch to get them all done for a mom-to-mom sale next Saturday. My dh made a business logo for me, too, that I'm excited to share!

I finished it except for some taking in around the collar. I need a friend that sews to help me with that since the biggest gap is at the back. Here is a picture of it so far with the wig I got.

I made it shorter so I wouldn't have problems getting on and off rides and wouldn't step on it. I'll post pictures of the arrow bag once I have all the sewing done.

Very, very pretty! I know those days where everything goes wonky! Breathing breaks are a good plan!

So, as I mentioned above, after spending most of this year sewing things to sell, I'm finally going to launch my little business next Saturday at a sale. I'm a nervous wreck that nothing will sell, that I'll freeze up making change, that xyz will go wrong - mostly silly fears. :lmao: I've been saving my pennies for an embroidery machine, so this is my big push to put my fund over the top. I hope! Please say a prayer for me this week!

Regards,
C.

They did this to us for our Feb trip this year!!! Had all our seats and before we left, had a change of plane (long before the trip) so had to reseat people. They could not explain to me how the heck they needed to reseat the WHOLE plane yet couldn't manage to get traveling parties together! My mom, myself and 3 yo had seats in DIFFERENT ROWS! HOW DOES AN AIRLINE SEAT A 3yo ALONE???? Stupid airline couldn't do ANYTHING! NOT EVEN AT CHECK IN!!! WE had to wait til the plane boarded to get on and ask passengers if they would not mind switching seats as they were seated next to a 3yo who would now be traveling alone! Yeh I made sure to announce to people that I had to do the airlines job for then because they were to stupid to do it for us!!!

Needless to say, I filed a complaint with Delta upon our return and got not only double miles for all of us because of their rude and incompetent gate attendants in Atlanta, but $100 vouchers for future use...oh good! CAN'T even use the stupid things to book flights together because you can only use ONE voucher per reservation unless I book through a human (which costs $25 a freakin person!!!). ARGH!!! Stupid Delta! Whatever you do, just remember there will be some nice folks on your flight who WILL switch seats for ya!

I plan to call them at 12:01 am I just do not understand this AT. ALL. And I have heard several similar stories..one involved a 10 month old flying OVERSEAS, 14 hr flight, seated 10 rows behind her newly adoptive mother. :sad2: I dont have a problem if they split us into 2 groups that cant be together, or even if we have to have 1 person across the aisle but really you think its ok to separate little kids from their adults? I could see if everyone was over 16 or so..fine, I wouldnt care..but really :sad2:

Well, after fixing my machine, or getting to work again, I proceeded to pin the sleeves into the dress and sew each of them in. I wanted to check how it looked so far before I overlocked the seams and so I turned the top half right side out. I had sewed them both on inside out ! UGH !!

So I took took my seam ripper and carefully ripped out both of them. I took a 30 minute breathe and tried again on one sleeve. Turned it right side and it looked okay so I took another 30 minute breathe.

sorry you had issues with the sleeves..but it looks awesome!

Hi Everyone!!

We could still use some help with Noah's Big give. We could use things like Family Wish shirts, Jedi Robes for the little boys, a Darth Vader cape for little Emily Elizabeth, a family scrap book etc....come on over and see if there is something you could help with if you'd like!!! The ship date isnt till mid October, so there is plenty of time!!

If you havent joined before, please come on over - you'd be very welcome!!! There is never any pressure, just join in when you can!!!

Thanks Everyone!!! It takes all of us to make this work!!

Wendy:grouphug:

billwendy said:
Hi Everyone!!

We could still use some help with Noah's Big give. We could use things like Family Wish shirts, Jedi Robes for the little boys, a Darth Vader cape for little Emily Elizabeth, a family scrap book etc....come on over and see if there is something you could help with if you'd like!!! The ship date isnt till mid October, so there is plenty of time!!

If you havent joined before, please come on over - you'd be very welcome!!! There is never any pressure, just join in when you can!!!

Thanks Everyone!!! It takes all of us to make this work!!

Wendy:grouphug:

I signed up to do a hoodie for Noah. But I'm not clear on what family wish shirts are. I'm new. ;)

I signed up to do a hoodie for Noah. But I'm not clear on what family wish shirts are. I'm new. ;)

Thanks so much for doing the hoodie for Noah!!!

The family Wish shirts are just matching shirts for the family - iron on's or embroidered - that say something like Noah's Wish Trip - and have some characters on it - there are some designs on the thread that you could use, or the creative disigns thread is super about making designs!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for asking and joining us!!!

I made this one for my daughter three years ago for Halloween. Here she's wearing it for Pirate Day at Kindergarten. I found the patterns on ycmt.com. The top is the corset top with shirred back and the skirt is the layered tulle twirl skirt. The top did actually stay up better than this, she kept pulling it down. It would have been really cute with a peasant top but I was too lazy to make one and just had her wear a long-sleeved t-shirt.

th_1346987375.jpg

This is a very cute pirate outfit!

Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest serging the edge.

New here. Love seeing all of the creations, I am very new to sewing, but gaining inspiration after reading your thread.

Right now I am working on autograph quilts for my three kids (ds6, dd3, dd1) from our February trip. Coming together nicely considering I had never made anything with a sewing machine! My mom has been giving advice and encouragement. Will post pics when I have a finished product. :)

Welcome! I can't wait to see pictures of your quilts!

I hope your machine will work better now.

th_137363F2-FD79-43F8-8970-0B487A9590BC-3355-0000059A9245504F.jpg

The dress looks great (even though it caused you quite a bit of troubles).

So, as I mentioned above, after spending most of this year sewing things to sell, I'm finally going to launch my little business next Saturday at a sale. I'm a nervous wreck that nothing will sell, that I'll freeze up making change, that xyz will go wrong - mostly silly fears. :lmao: I've been saving my pennies for an embroidery machine, so this is my big push to put my fund over the top. I hope! Please say a prayer for me this week!

Regards,
C.

I am sure you will do great at the sale!

The dress looks great! I hate when I do something like sewing on the sleeves inside out. I despise picking out stitches but we all end up having to do it.

I am drooling on that machine, but for that price I would buy a used multi-needle before I'd spend $5000 on a single needle machine! Actually, that is my long-term plan. ;)

(Oops, I goofed up the photo link.) How pretty! Is is for your niece or a Big

That was here, for me. Shirring does sound like a good idea. I kind of shortened the process with the pattern we were talking about.

Regards,
C.
I agree that the machine seems to carry a very high price. That's why I am hoping to see it in person and figure out why they are getting so much $$$ for an embroidery only machine. You can definitely find some good deals on used 6 needle machines but I've never really seen one up close. They seem quite complicated.

The Rapunzel dress is for my niece. She told me that her favorite princess is Rapunzel so I made it as one of her holiday gifts. I have the material for a Belle dress too but we'll see if I get to that.

I really liked the idea of using the shirring on the diaper covers. It seems like it would work pretty well. The pattern that they had posted was Butterick 3405 which seems very cute. I might pick it up the next time they have Butterick patterns on sale for 99 cents. I can't wait to see how you modified the diaper cover pattern.

I hope that you sell a ton of stuff next weekend. You've been busy preparing for so long. I am sure you won't forget to make change and that most everything will go very smoothly. Good luck!

Thanks so much for doing the hoodie for Noah!!!

The family Wish shirts are just matching shirts for the family - iron on's or embroidered - that say something like Noah's Wish Trip - and have some characters on it - there are some designs on the thread that you could use, or the creative disigns thread is super about making designs!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for asking and joining us!!!

Thanks for clarifying. I will just stick to the hoodie this time around, since we have our own Disney adventure in October and I still have LOTS of stuff I need/want to make for my family and our guests. Maybe next time after our trip is a fond memory I can have a little more time to do more. I think it is a great thing to do for these families.

I was thinking though about the jedi robes, not that I am volunterring or anything, but maybe a brown hooded towel with a "sash" would work? That way they can use them again at home? I made hooded towels a few years ago for my kids they were super easy. I used THIS TUTORIAL which is very basic sewing.

My kiddos are HUGE fans of Phineas and Ferb so of course there has to be a custom outfit designated to this awesome show!! Here is my DD's Perry dress! When looking for the perry fabric, all I could find was the flannel kind. So I decided to make the dress from flannels and it turned out better than I thought! DD loves how soft it is inside and out :)
232323232%7Ffp63576%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3572%3A2838734%3Anu0mrj
close up of hand applique
232323232%7Ffp635%3A7%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D35729%3B953934%3Anu0mrj

OhStuffandFluff said:
My kiddos are HUGE fans of Phineas and Ferb so of course there has to be a custom outfit designated to this awesome show!! Here is my DD's Perry dress! When looking for the perry fabric, all I could find was the flannel kind. So I decided to make the dress from flannels and it turned out better than I thought! DD loves how soft it is inside and out :)
close up of hand applique

Love. My boys are big on p&f too. I found perry cotton fabric at Joann. I bought 2 yards without any real plan for it. Maybe bowling shirts someday. I wouldn't think of using flannel as anything but pjs. Maybe I should reconsider? Well done, very cute.

I love this outfit and considered purchasing this pattern as well!! My daughter wants to be a pirate princess for Halloween so this would be perfect! Did you make the pirate hat as well? If you did how did you do it? Thanks for your help!!

No, she made the hook and the pirate hat at school. It was just made out of construction paper. It didn't last too long, lol. I don't know of any patterns for a pirate hat but maybe someone else has!

Thanks everyone for the comments about my little pirate girl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter