• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

pirate: Has anyone made one? Can I see pics?

I want to make a costume for Allie for Pirate night on our upcoming Magic cruise, but I can't find any patterns that I like. I'm thinking I might have to figure it out on my own.

TIA!

I made these pirate outfits for my grandchildren to wear on a Disney cruise. I used Simplicity 2561 for both. My grandson wouldn't let me take a picture of him with the outfit on but my granddaughter was having a great time and she is wearing my shoes.

Outfit-PirateAllan.jpg

Outfit-PirateNicole4.jpg

I made these pirate outfits for my grandchildren to wear on a Disney cruise. I used Simplicity 2561 for both. My grandson wouldn't let me take a picture of him with the outfit on but my granddaughter was having a great time and she is wearing my shoes.

th_Outfit-PirateAllan.jpg
th_Outfit-PirateNicole4.jpg

very cute ! When I first looked at the top one, I totally saw a pirate wiht a peg leg. :rolleyes:

I totally got behind on this thread, but I just want to say that I am still enjoying everyone's projects very much!!!

Outfit-PirateAllan.jpg

Outfit-PirateNicole4.jpg

Too cute!!!! Your little pirate girl looks pretty sassy! I love her pose!

No sewing for me today. Going out to lunch for my birthday with a friend and then I'm just too mad at my machine for not working to pull out my mother's to finish my dress today.

I was trying to hem the sleeve edges last night and the thread kept bunching up under the plate, 4 times, last time I lowered the feed dogs so I could cut it easier and now they won't go back up for anything. Really ticking me off. I can't see in there to see if there is something underneath them. They are moving just fine, just won't come back up so I can use them. I'm really, really mad !!

So sorry to hear that your machine isn't behaving. I hope it will be resolved quickly when you look at it again.

When I took my Ellageo in for servicing yesterday I asked about the new machine. They said that they won't have one in for people to look at for another couple of weeks. She said that she thought it would be priced at $6995 but they would sell for $4995. That seems awfully high for an embroidery only machine. I could easily buy a very nice combo machine for that price!

Yikes, at that rate I might as well save up for a PR-650e (the 6 needle machine). I think they had a special on it last spring for 9999.99 but it came with the digitizing software too. (By the way, sewing machines are WAY more expensive here. The same Brother machine could easily cost twice as much here even though our dollars are worth roughly the same).

Button Question

I found these adorable buttons yesterday and I had to get them for the girls Giraffe Mickey Dresses for AK.

upload by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

I am doing a jumper using the bodice of a simply sweet, the skirt is a gored circle skirt and I can't decide between doing straight straps with buttons or elastic straps.

Can I use these buttons as functional buttons to hold the jumper up or are they really more decorative and I should just sew them on in the button position and do elastic straps?

If they can be functional how do you size the button hole? I have only ever used round buttons before but I couldn't say no to these.

I am sure you can make them into functional buttons. I would make the hole big enough to fit the sides and the legs of the giffrafe through at one time. To do it up, I would put the head through first and then the rest of the body. I don't know how to explain it better. I can visualize it in my head but can't seem to translate it into working steps.

Delta is causing me some undue stress this morning, as they did not give us seat assignments for our flight and when I called was told I can try Sat and MAY be able to get SOME of my family together. Seriously I am flying with kids..they need to be with at least 1 parent. you can split us into 2 groups and put us on opposite ends, but there needs to be one parent with each kid:mad:
I shoulda stuck with jetBlue...

That's strange because I chose my seats for my trip to Minneapolis on their website (I am going there for a work meeting in October). I didn't have to pay anything for that either. Do you have the confirmation code? You can go to their website and plug in your confirmation code to choose seats. Good luck!

Yes you can use them as functional buttons. I just made a jumper and used similar buttons that were zebras. You want to make the buttonhole to fit the body/legs of the giraffe. Then when you put the button through the hole, put the head and neck in first. The rest of the button will slip easily through the hole. Or you could just do the elastic straps and sew these on for decorations.

Here is what I made today. My embroidery machine is still in the shop for its tune up so I couldn't do any appliques on it.
th_P9060024.jpg

Very pretty. I can't wait to see the finished product with the appliques.

Great outfits! Your granddaughter is the cutest pirate I have ever seen!

love to stitch said:

Lol! Just so you know dgd came out wearing dgs pants the other day. Over her pj's of course.

That's strange because I chose my seats for my trip to Minneapolis on their website (I am going there for a work meeting in October). I didn't have to pay anything for that either. Do you have the confirmation code? You can go to their website and plug in your confirmation code to choose seats. Good luck!

!

thats how this whole thing got started...I went to the site to select seats and all that shows as available is preferred seating..it has a bit extra leg room..and each seat is an extra $40. I dont want to spend an extra $200 of our limited budget on seats..I shouldnt HAVE to :sad2: Ive been told they will fix it at the airport...it just makes me so anxious, we dont travel often and this is th etwins first time, I have no idea how they will be on the airplane:confused3

thats how this whole thing got started...I went to the site to select seats and all that shows as available is preferred seating..it has a bit extra leg room..and each seat is an extra $40. I dont want to spend an extra $200 of our limited budget on seats..I shouldnt HAVE to :sad2: Ive been told they will fix it at the airport...it just makes me so anxious, we dont travel often and this is th etwins first time, I have no idea how they will be on the airplane:confused3

Yikes! I can totally understand not wanting to pay extra for these "premium" seats. I am so sorry to hear that they are being difficult and adding stress to your planning. I really hope that they will resolve that at the airport for you (or hopefully things will open up when you do the online check in 24 hours in advance - I haven't flown with Delta in over a year so I don't know how their system works). In general, most people are willing to move to accomodate a family (at least I know I would).

I hope your twins will be good travellers and do well on the plane. Most children I see on planes do very well, so I imagine yours will as well. The adults, on the other hand, could be the worst trouble makers out there. :rotfl:

Thanks - I think I might make a test button hole first. I'll set the size based on the width not the height.

Love the dress. What are you planning to applique on it?
I don't know if I am going to put any appliques on it at all. I had been thinking of doing Rapunzel on the front over skirt on one side and Flynn on the other side. But I hate adding appliques after the outfit is one. It is too easy to have them get messed up and ruin what you've made.

I made these pirate outfits for my grandchildren to wear on a Disney cruise. I used Simplicity 2561 for both.

Outfit-PirateAllan.jpg

Outfit-PirateNicole4.jpg
Those are very cute outfits. I love the pirate girl outfit! I tried to find pictures of the pirate outfits that I made my girls when they were in a play a few years ago but I can't find the pictures on my computer.

Yikes, at that rate I might as well save up for a PR-650e (the 6 needle machine). I think they had a special on it last spring for 9999.99 but it came with the digitizing software too. (By the way, sewing machines are WAY more expensive here. The same Brother machine could easily cost twice as much here even though our dollars are worth roughly the same).

I am sure you can make them into functional buttons. I would make the hole big enough to fit the sides and the legs of the giffrafe through at one time. To do it up, I would put the head through first and then the rest of the body. I don't know how to explain it better. I can visualize it in my head but can't seem to translate it
That would be a huge step up to go from a 4x4 embroidery field to a 6 needle machine. I know that Nini has been drooling over the 6 needle machines for quite a while. I've seen several of them advertised on our local Craigslist for what seem like reasonable prices. However, I've never even seen one run so I haven't really looked into them too much. I wonder why the embroidery machines cost so much more in Canada. Maybe you should start keeping an eye on your local Craigslist listings. Maybe something great will pop up.

I explained using the giraffe buttons almost the exact same way.

Oh I love this!
Thanks!:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I finally have something Disney to post!!:banana:

I made these for a little girl who's going to the world for the very first time. They are leaving tomorrow night (she's a little under the weather today, so we're hoping she's feeling better tomorrow)

Basic applique Tshirt and the winging it skort. (I used Simplicity 2684, shortened the capris, added a waistband with drawstring)
7946518104_8c1e14b182.jpg

I upcycled the bag from a thrift store tshirt. I've done this a few times, but this is the first time using ribbon as binding.
7946852688_4675f17a3a.jpg

The pocket (which is a little lopsided) is made from a sleeve.
7946562600_f7ca47e0f2.jpg

New here. Love seeing all of the creations, I am very new to sewing, but gaining inspiration after reading your thread.

Right now I am working on autograph quilts for my three kids (ds6, dd3, dd1) from our February trip. Coming together nicely considering I had never made anything with a sewing machine! My mom has been giving advice and encouragement. Will post pics when I have a finished product. :)

pirate: Has anyone made one? Can I see pics?

I want to make a costume for Allie for Pirate night on our upcoming Magic cruise, but I can't find any patterns that I like. I'm thinking I might have to figure it out on my own.

TIA!

I made this one for my daughter three years ago for Halloween. Here she's wearing it for Pirate Day at Kindergarten. I found the patterns on ycmt.com. The top is the corset top with shirred back and the skirt is the layered tulle twirl skirt. The top did actually stay up better than this, she kept pulling it down. It would have been really cute with a peasant top but I was too lazy to make one and just had her wear a long-sleeved t-shirt.

1346987375.jpg

Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

So we are leaving for Disney in three days :cool1: Yeah! I finally have some pictures to post. Our computer died earlier in the summer so I had no way of transfering my photos. I did post of facebook but could not get on here. SO here are two:

th_IMG_3587.jpg

th_IMG_3598.jpg

th_IMG_3556.jpg

th_IMG_3559.jpg

I made 15 total dresses for my two girls. I made BS a copy of LS birthday dress. Here it is, I think I posted it before...

th_IMG_2462.jpg

Everything turned out great! I love the black contrast on the Minnie dress! Have a great trip!

Its not sewing..I painted these but I was excited about them and wanted to share...hope thats ok.

These are our costumes for MNSSHP on the 21st. DH and i will be CDA agents, DD10 is Sully, DS4 is Mike and DD4 is Boo

th_IMG_5997.jpg

10 more sleeps:cool1:

I'm impressed you hand painted those, they look great!! Have a great trip!!

I just finished reading a fascinating book called The Clarks of Cooperstown by Nicholas Fox Weber. Edward Clark was business partner of Singer, and boy did I learn a lot about him. Let's see how well you know your Singer!

1. What was Singer's first name?

a. Jacob
b. Charles
c. Nicholas
d. Isaac

2. In what year was Singer born?

a. 1811
b. 1821
c. 1831
d. 1841

3. Near what American city was Singer born?

a. Rochester, NY
b. Sacramento, CA
c. Richmonmd, VA
d. Pittsburgh, PA

4. What was his earliest occupation?

a. tavern keeper
b. apprentice tailor
c. deck hand
d. apprentice machinist

5. How many children did he father?

a. 2
b. 4
c. 24
d. None

6. What did he get his first patent for?

a. wheat separating machine
b. rock drilling machine
c. rifle safety clasp
d. sewing machine

7. What was his avocational interest?

a. patronizing taverns
b. rodeo riding
c. Shapespearian acting
d. wine making

8. What did he do with the money he got from his first patent?

a. buy a hotel with tavern
b. invest in a horse stable
c. start an acting troupe
d. purchase a vineyard

9. To what group did the Singer company offer half price sewing machines?

a. civil war veterans
b. civil war widows
c. new American citizens
d. ministers' wives

10. What markering idea was originally Singer's?

a. installment plan
b. buy one get one free
c. layaway
d. free dining

Bonus: What was the original name of Singer's sewing machine company?

a. Minnie Mouse Sewing Machine Company
b. Martha Washington Sewing Machine Company
c. Jenny Lind Sewing Machine Company
d. Queen Victoria Sewing Machine Company

Okay, boys and girls, time's up. Put your pencils down and change papers with your neighbor and we'll correct them.

1. d. Isaac Merritt Singer

2. a. 1811

3. a. He was born in Pittstown, near Rochester, NY

4. d. apprentice machinist

5. c. 24 (not all by the same woman/wife, not always married :blush: )

6. b. rock drilling machine

7. c. Shakespearing acting! Who knew??!

8. c. He started an acting troupe, the Merritt Players.

9. d. Minister's wives, in hopes they would get their sewing groups interested.

10. a. Times were tough but using the installment plan many women could afford machines.

Bonus: C. Jenny Lind Sewing Machine Company, because at the time the Swedish singer was very popular in America.

How'd you do? :dance3:

Essay question: What's the difference between a ruffler foot and a gathering foot? :lmao:

I failed, but I did learn a few things. :thumbsup2

Well, everything is looking great. TinkNH, I love the painted shirts. Monster's Inc Laugh floor will love them too !

No sewing for me today. Going out to lunch for my birthday with a friend and then I'm just too mad at my machine for not working to pull out my mother's to finish my dress today.

I was trying to hem the sleeve edges last night and the thread kept bunching up under the plate, 4 times, last time I lowered the feed dogs so I could cut it easier and now they won't go back up for anything. Really ticking me off. I can't see in there to see if there is something underneath them. They are moving just fine, just won't come back up so I can use them. I'm really, really mad !!

Happy Birthday!! Hopefully a few hours rest for the machine will do the trick, hope you figure it out soon.

Button Question

I found these adorable buttons yesterday and I had to get them for the girls Giraffe Mickey Dresses for AK.

upload by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

I am doing a jumper using the bodice of a simply sweet, the skirt is a gored circle skirt and I can't decide between doing straight straps with buttons or elastic straps.

Can I use these buttons as functional buttons to hold the jumper up or are they really more decorative and I should just sew them on in the button position and do elastic straps?

If they can be functional how do you size the button hole? I have only ever used round buttons before but I couldn't say no to these.

Love the buttons! I was going to say the same thing as Diane and size it to the body and legs. But even if you just use them for decoration they will look great!

I have no idea how one would use those as functional buttons...but then I am a sewing noob... They are so adorable...I would just use them decoratively.

Delta is causing me some undue stress this morning, as they did not give us seat assignments for our flight and when I called was told I can try Sat and MAY be able to get SOME of my family together. Seriously I am flying with kids..they need to be with at least 1 parent. you can split us into 2 groups and put us on opposite ends, but there needs to be one parent with each kid:mad:

How frustrating, I'm sure it will all turn out in the end. Have a great trip!!

Yes you can use them as functional buttons. I just made a jumper and used similar buttons that were zebras. You want to make the buttonhole to fit the body/legs of the giraffe. Then when you put the button through the hole, put the head and neck in first. The rest of the button will slip easily through the hole. Or you could just do the elastic straps and sew these on for decorations.

Here is what I made today. My embroidery machine is still in the shop for its tune up so I couldn't do any appliques on it.
th_P9060024.jpg

I love how it turned out! I think it looks great without any appliques on it!

These turned out great!

very cute ! When I first looked at the top one, I totally saw a pirate wiht a peg leg. :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

New here. Love seeing all of the creations, I am very new to sewing, but gaining inspiration after reading your thread.

Right now I am working on autograph quilts for my three kids (ds6, dd3, dd1) from our February trip. Coming together nicely considering I had never made anything with a sewing machine! My mom has been giving advice and encouragement. Will post pics when I have a finished product. :)

Welcome, can't wait to see how the quilt turnes out!

Its not sewing..I painted these but I was excited about them and wanted to share...hope thats ok.

These are our costumes for MNSSHP on the 21st. DH and i will be CDA agents, DD10 is Sully, DS4 is Mike and DD4 is Boo

th_IMG_5997.jpg

10 more sleeps:cool1:
Sept 21? that the night I'm considering going to MNSSHP! (I havent got tickets yet) I have to put together a costume in the next couple of days. love your costumes, so clever!

th_P9060024.jpg
Very pretty, no appliques needed!

I made this one for my daughter three years ago for Halloween. Here she's wearing it for Pirate Day at Kindergarten. I found the patterns on ycmt.com. The top is the corset top with shirred back and the skirt is the layered tulle twirl skirt. The top did actually stay up better than this, she kept pulling it down. It would have been really cute with a peasant top but I was too lazy to make one and just had her wear a long-sleeved t-shirt.

1346987375.jpg

Your daughter looks adorable. I love the way you made a hook.

Right now I am working on autograph quilts for my three kids (ds6, dd3, dd1) from our February trip.
Welcome to the group! You'll have to post pictures when you are finished. We love pictures here!

I made this one for my daughter three years ago for Halloween.

1346987375.jpg
Cute outfit and look how little she was!

Very pretty, no appliques needed!
Thanks!

Basic applique Tshirt and the winging it skort. (I used Simplicity 2684, shortened the capris, added a waistband with drawstring)
7946518104_1d15caf314.jpg
Your descriptions make everything sound adorable but I can't see the pictures.:confused:

I love how it turned out! I think it looks great without any appliques on it!
Thanks!

Lol! Just so you know dgd came out wearing dgs pants the other day. Over her pj's of course.

Maybe she'll use them both for dress up afterwards.

If you don't get seats, then you'll get the extra legs room seats for free and those are pretty much all in the front of the plane so if you can see which of those are empty, then you'll know how to configure who is sitting with who.

Short of doing a full lining is there a trick on a full circle skirt to doing a hemmed finish? I normally give up and end up putting a ruffle on the end or adding double sided bias tape to finish up the skirt, but I really don't want to do either for this dress. On a couple full circle skirts I've done 2 circles sewed them together and then turned it right side out so there was a perfect hem at the base. Then I just top stitch it down so it stays flat. That takes up a lot of material though and can make it heavy. This skirt is a flannel skirt so I don't really want to do two layers of flannel.

By trying to fold the hem on a circle it puckers and folds because I'm trying to make something bigger smaller by the nature of a circle. So after I put the hem in it trys to fold up on itself.

I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

I had that same problem on and A-Line dress I did. I figured out that a small, rolled hem worked perfect and didn't create that overlap. I too made the next dress reversible but yes, it did make it a lot heavier.

Welcome to the group! You'll have to post pictures when you are finished. We love pictures here!

Your descriptions make everything sound adorable but I can't see the pictures.:confused:
Thanks!

yes, pictures are awesome here !

They do sound pretty and can't wait to see the pictures.

I think I figured out my machine and am going to attempt to try to finish my dress today. I cleared my head this morning by getting to sleep in a bit and then washing the kitchen floor. Once i put everything back, i will try my machine again.

Megan1034 :welcome:

Sewmess..... I can't see any pictures:confused3

I would be stressing too. We usually fly SW and I buy the earlybird boarding pass to make sure we can all sit together.:scared:

P9060024.jpg

:thumbsup2

Outfit-PirateAllan.jpg

Outfit-PirateNicole4.jpg

Those are too cute.... and I see the peg leg too :lmao:

th_1346987375.jpg

That is adorable too. I don't remember seeing it before.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter