• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Spent my whole day today, 8 am until 20 minutes ago, trying to put together my Merida dress. I got some pics on my phone of what I have now but they are not that great. here is what I have so far.....

7C383F19-2B9C-4F3C-A17B-F8A9F6D4FC4C-2310-000003FD720FB1B2.jpg

I still have to do the sleeves and add the gold along the bottom but am having a hard time trying to figure out exactly how to do it. I have a strip of gold that is 8 inches tall that needs to start 9 inches above where the dress is now because it is slightly too long on me already. (I cut 6 inches off the bottom already from the pattern.) I wish I had a IRLF who could help me. Also, the top of the sleeves fall too far outside to my shoulder so I have to fix that too.

Spent my whole day today, 8 am until 20 minutes ago, trying to put together my Merida dress. I got some pics on my phone of what I have now but they are not that great. here is what I have so far.....

7C383F19-2B9C-4F3C-A17B-F8A9F6D4FC4C-2310-000003FD720FB1B2.jpg

I still have to do the sleeves and add the gold along the bottom but am having a hard time trying to figure out exactly how to do it. I have a strip of gold that is 8 inches tall that needs to start 9 inches above where the dress is now because it is slightly too long on me already. (I cut 6 inches off the bottom already from the pattern.) I wish I had a IRLF who could help me. Also, the top of the sleeves fall too far outside to my shoulder so I have to fix that too.

looks great so far!!!!

We drove last summer to North Carolina...and after that trip..soooo not wanting to drive with 3 little kids more than a few hours...it was not a good time. when they are older it will be an option but now..no. Esp with DDs sensory issues..the car seat is a HUGE issue...she tends to scream and cry over it and 24 hrs of that may well drive me and th erest of the family insane. :rotfl:

Joann's recently started to ship to Canada (like a few weeks ago). The shipping fees are quite reasonable when I looked. However, they do not ship by USPS so I am nervous about the brokage fees. I am waiting to find out what other's experience with Joann's shipping before I buy anything from them.

Oh, that good to know they've changed since I checked.
I've ordered from fabric.com and usualy have to pay customs fees but it's not much.

Question:For those who order thread from Marathon Thread, how long does it take to arrive? Thanks!!

I think they shipped pretty quickly. I put in an order on Oct 14 last year and had them ship to a hotel in Anaheim (I was there for a work-related trip). The box was waiting for me when I checked in on Oct 30.

I'd wait a little bit. Brother is coming out with a brand new embroidery only machine that will go up to a 12x7 frame. It is supposed to come out in early October. Besides that I don't know of an embroidery only machine that has such a large field. Most of the machines that have a larger embroidery field are also sewing machines.

Here is a link to the Brother website with the new machine:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=VE2200&ref=mega#.UEayKSLAETA

I am hoping to look at it and play with it a little bit at the Sewing Expo in October. I really hope that they have one there.

I can't give you much advice on a new sewing machine since I haven't bought one in quite a while. But I know that somebody on here recently bought a Juki machine on HSN and they love it. It had some really nice features. It was a Juki HZL-F400. Hope that helps.

Please let us know what you think of this new machine if you get a chance to look at it and play with it. I am officially in the market for a new machine and I would like to know what options I have.

th_7C383F19-2B9C-4F3C-A17B-F8A9F6D4FC4C-2310-000003FD720FB1B2.jpg

Looks like you had a great start. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, that good to know they've changed since I checked.
I've ordered from fabric.com and usualy have to pay customs fees but it's not much.

I forgot to mention this, Joann's would not ship to Quebec (probably due to the language laws). The brokerage fees can be extreme depends on who handles the package. It is usually the "handling fees" from the couriers to cross the border that adds up. USPS is the most reliable source of low fees so I tend to stick with the companies that use USPS (that or I wait until I have a trip to the US and ship things to the hotel).

th_7C383F19-2B9C-4F3C-A17B-F8A9F6D4FC4C-2310-000003FD720FB1B2.jpg

I think that's coming along nicely! Sorry you are having so much trouble getting the length right, but you will get it!

QUESTION:
I am starting to pack and how do you guys pack these dresses so they do not end up a wrinkled mess by the time you get there???? I am literally staring at the pile of dresses hanging from the ironing board and have no idea how to get them packed.

I am very short on time..will be back to comment on recent postings...

I agree, ROLL (bonus: it's a space-saver!) then when you get there hang them up in the bathroom and get some steam flowing so the wrinkles will fall out.

this thread moves soooooo fast!!

blessedmom4 asked me to post these here, this is last years costumes, flynn rapunzel and pascal (my hair glows!):

393220_10150434888825469_1866558782_n.jpg

and the detail shots of cinderella:
251512_10151185821920469_136421736_n.jpg

ROFL, yes, yes it does! So hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Your creations are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

After that Cinderella dress I'm not as excited about my Belle dress hahahaha!!! I kind of slapped this one together for my youngest, although it's a little bit big so we'll play it by ear whether or not she wears it...

DSCN0402.JPG

And why not? This Belle dress is precious and your LO is going to be super cute in it! Great job!

I finished my daughter's Cinderella dress that the mice made. I am including a picture of the dress, but there is also a white underskirt that I still have to put the waist in. I made it removable so that she can wear the entire dress to our 1900 Park Fare ADR, but she can take off the underskirt when we head back to MK for the evening. It will still be hot. :)

We leave in 9 days!! Almost all my sewing is completed! Woohoo!!

253104_3982329995741_136056221_n.jpg

Oh this is really cute too and how smart to make it two layers so she doesn't have to be hot while there!

Other than having to sew the buttons on the dress - Dress 1 of 2 is finished (This is the size 7 - I am finishing up the size 2 right now). This is most likely for MVMCP but depending on what else I sew it might end up being for our Epcot Candlelight Procession/Christmas Santa Day.

upload by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

I'm happy with how it came together. My DD tried it on this morning before I finished the lining and it looks great on her.

Oh these two dresses are adorable! You did a great job! Isn't it nice to have gained so much confidence in your sewing ability? Can't wait to see the animal kingdom giraffe sets!

And so sad that you DD doesn't want to wear her BTS. I couldn't even get the kids to wear shirts that said 1st and 4th grade rock..... because they told me it doesn't:rotfl: (can you tell they were not happy about going back to school)

HA HA HA! Silly kids. Glad they all felt better just in time for their first day back.

Sorry for the crappy photos but I do not own a decent camera and it's wet outside, so indoor icky flash pics is all I have.

Problem 1: Bought this fabric at MaryJos on the Dismeet fabric shop hop and got a little extra cuz I didn't know what I'd make and I knew dd would love it. Go to cut it and the fabric is only 36" wide!!!!! I never looked at the bolt b/c I just assumed all cottons were 42". Still had enough but my leftover scraps are only of the kitty section :(

Problem 2: The applique! Design is from Sweet Peas Place and I thought was adorable. It is Sassy Witch Cat:
http://www.sweetpeasplace.com/img_cache/beb58ada6bc0b48958089244f5857b8a.jpg

If you look at the design it appears the bow is appliqued. Well guess what -- it's NOT!!!!! It's open :confused3:confused3:confused3 So I had to cut a large enough square of fabric and do the satin stitch and cut as close as I could. In the pics it is not washed yet. Clearly it will fray when washed but all I can hope for is a Shabby Chic look. I did e-mail SPP to let them know of the problem because IMO it needs to get fixed. I took a close up photo to show you.

Anyway, I bribed dd. She was not wanted to wear her BTS dress for the first day of school so I told her I would make her the kitty outfit for Wednesday providing she wore her dress tomorrow. It worked (Or so she says she will wear it -- we'll see what happens tomorrow).

SET:
th_DSCF6753.jpg

Yeah, you totally made up all those problems in your head! That set is GREAT! I agree that you can't tell that the bow in the kitty applique is messed up at all.

I want to share my 2 projects I completed this weekend.

1st I made an outfit for P to wear at Sea World. I am still having issues hand appliqueing with my sewing machine so I just busted out the embrodery floss and a needle to outline the shark.
th_015-2.jpg

I also came across this tutorial for making an art smock. I thought this would be great for covering all the nice outfits I have been making during meal times. I followed the tutorial as stated except I added the Mickey material to the top of the towel. I really like how it turned out.
th_027.jpg

I did have trouble setting the snaps so I went with gromits and just am going to use ribbon to tie the smock shut.:confused3

I cannot believe you did the satin stitch by HAND! GO YOU! The smock-bib is a FANTASTIC idea for covering over nice outfits. Hope you have a blast at Sea World.

Now I remember why I was never able to keep up with board. You all do amazing work! I spent three days sewing and I'm so far behind on posts! Here is a set of Animal Kingdom outfits for the family. Minus my skirt, I'm just now cutting it out.

Up close
556505_4182891502542_203755587_n.jpg

396014_4182871222035_330742909_n.jpg

All the fabrics were from Hancocks. I just winged the pattern.

These came out great, especially for just "winging it" with the pattern. You guys are going to look awesome!

Sunshine

So we are leaving for Disney in three days :cool1: Yeah! I finally have some pictures to post. Our computer died earlier in the summer so I had no way of transfering my photos. I did post of facebook but could not get on here. SO here are two:

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

I made 15 total dresses for my two girls. I made BS a copy of LS birthday dress. Here it is, I think I posted it before...

IMG_2462.jpg

So we are leaving for Disney in three days :cool1: Yeah! I finally have some pictures to post. Our computer died earlier in the summer so I had no way of transfering my photos. I did post of facebook but could not get on here. SO here are two:
th_IMG_3587.jpg
th_IMG_3598.jpg
th_IMG_3556.jpg
th_IMG_3559.jpg

I made 15 total dresses for my two girls. I made BS a copy of LS birthday dress. Here it is, I think I posted it before...
th_IMG_2462.jpg

I like them all but I really like the Minnie Mouse one. the B&W polka dots really make Minnie pop off the fabric. great contrast choice.

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

The dresses and your models are beautiful.

Thanks so much for the compliments on my Belle dress - you guys really make a girl feel good about her sewing! I love this board, I wish I could pick you all up and move you here and have our own big sewing guild!!! So much inspiration, talent, and encouragement here!! :)

I normally roll their dresses (and mine too for that matter) and then just hang everything up as soon as I get there. I don't think I have ever had to pull out the iron when I get there.

Oh that's a good idea...roll them! I have five dresses to take with me and a couple skirts so I really don't WANT to iron all of that when I get there! I'm packing ahead of time too but am going to wait to pack the costumes...

omg, i realized 1/2 my post was eaten by my phone...

we wore flynn rapunzel and pascal for mnsshp and halloween last year and are doing the same this year with cindi charming and hamish from brave...
umm this is really a frankenpattern. the only thing drafted was the sleeve, and it was drafted from a current pattern, just to fit the bodice and have more puff. but if you looked at the patterns i used you probably wouldnt see what i was even looking at in them. my husband was constantly saying "you got this from THAT?" lol some of it was also just made up...
your belle is super adorbs and does not look slapped together!

and thank you everyone for your very very kind words!!! :goodvibes::goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

this thread moves soooooo fast!!

This thread DOES move fast and I usually miss huge chunks at a time! :)

OH MY GAWSH I'm so glad you said "frankenpattern" Hahahaha - I do the same thing and hadn't heard anybody else use that term yet lol*

You did a great job and it looks like a true formal dress - wouldn't it be the PERFECT wedding dress??? Lol* For a Disney nut of course...

Wow! That Cinderella dress is stunning! I love it and you are extremely talented!

I'm sorry I don't keep up with the thread, it moves too fast for me to be able to keep pace. :lmao:

I finished my daughter's Cinderella dress that the mice made. I am including a picture of the dress, but there is also a white underskirt that I still have to put the waist in. I made it removable so that she can wear the entire dress to our 1900 Park Fare ADR, but she can take off the underskirt when we head back to MK for the evening. It will still be hot. :)

We leave in 9 days!! Almost all my sewing is completed! Woohoo!!

253104_3982329995741_136056221_n.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress...I really want to make one for my daughter but it will probably just be a play dress because I don't think I'm going to have time before we leave...just over two weeks now! :) Have fun in 9 days!!!

It looks really good so far. I hope you don't have too much trouble making the adjustments to it before you finish it. I can't wait to see the finished dress!

Please let us know what you think of this new machine if you get a chance to look at it and play with it. I am officially in the market for a new machine and I would like to know what options I have.
How exciting! I know you've been thinking about it for a while now. I am sure you will like getting something with a bigger embroidery field than you've had in the past. I like the idea of the new Brother machine being embroidery only because I never use my Ellageo to sew on. I am lucky to have enough room to have 3 machines set up all the time. I have the serger, the Ellageo (for embroidery) and the Brother for sewing.

What adorable dresses! I love how the mice are on the bottom of the Cinderella dress! And the Minnie dress is adorable! Great job on all of them. Have a fun trip!

I can't log in on the Big Give board. Even though I had my name and password "saved." It doesn't recognize my email address either. Can someone fix it or do I need to reregister?

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

cute dresses, and such adorable little models!:love:

Thanks everyone for your tips on my embroidery machine woes. I tried adjusting the tension, different threads, etc. and it is still doing it. Hoping to pay a visit to the local shop before I have to send it in... bummed.

Another unrelated question, does anyone know if anyone offers the loopy shirt accents on Jessie's shirt as an embroidery file? I would love to be able to just embroider it, rather than hand-attach some sort of loopy embellishment if I don't need to... man this embroidery machine has made me lazy. :) I looked at all the "usual" places, I found some Woody and Buzz shirt components, no Jessie.

200px-Jessietoystory3.jpg

I'd wait a little bit. Brother is coming out with a brand new embroidery only machine that will go up to a 12x7 frame. It is supposed to come out in early October. Besides that I don't know of an embroidery only machine that has such a large field. Most of the machines that have a larger embroidery field are also sewing machines.

Here is a link to the Brother website with the new machine:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=VE2200&ref=mega#.UEayKSLAETA

Whoaaaaaa, that new Brother machine looks amazing! I don't even want to think about what that will cost. :scared1: :faint: Hopefully the new model will result in deals on older models... thanks for the heads-up!

Can't help with #1 but for a machine, I love my 420. Had it for only a month but it sew amazing and I'm still learning and know it can do so much more. It is smooth and quiet and I'm loving it.

Good to know, thanks!

Repeat of the original questions; would love more input:
QUESTIONS:

1) Recommendations for an embroidery-only machine with at least a 6x10" field? What do you like/not like about your machine? Various price points welcome, but I don't anticipate spending more than $2500-3000.

2) Recommendations for a mid-range sewing machine? I like my entry-level Brother CS6000i and plan to keep it as a back-up machine. I'm eyeballing the Brother PC-420; any thoughts? Other options definitely welcome; would love to hear your input.

Thank you! :flower3:

Its not sewing..I painted these but I was excited about them and wanted to share...hope thats ok.

These are our costumes for MNSSHP on the 21st. DH and i will be CDA agents, DD10 is Sully, DS4 is Mike and DD4 is Boo

IMG_5997.jpg

10 more sleeps:cool1:

TinkNH said:
Its not sewing..I painted these but I was excited about them and wanted to share...hope thats ok.

These are our costumes for MNSSHP on the 21st. DH and i will be CDA agents, DD10 is Sully, DS4 is Mike and DD4 is Boo

10 more sleeps:cool1:

Those are awesome! Monsters inc is my favorite. So cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter