• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

So now I'm searching the designs and can't find what I'm looking for but I did see this on Etsy...does anyone know the designer of the applique? PM if you need to. Thanks!!!!
il_570xN358963713.jpg
I agree that I am pretty sure it is misskenziemac. I'm also pretty sure that Heather Sue has a very cute design in her store now too and so does Lynnie Pininie.

Here's the bad news: Y'know that business trip to Orlando that the Mr. asked me to go along on? I just this morning got on the facebook page for the Disney Store that I work at and asked if anybody would be able to take the two shifts that I was on the schedule for during that time. Then the Mr calls and says that the date has changed to the following week! :scared1: Only I could have a date change for a last minute trip! Here's the good news: We get to stay at the Swan & Dolphin! How cool is that?! :woohoo: The first night of MNSSHP is happening while we're there, too! Not sure if I'll go, but here's hoping! Wonder if I have any Halloween-y fabric around to make a tee shirt or something...
Wow, that sounds like a great spur of the moment trip! I hope you get to go to MNSSHP. I've always wanted to go to that.

Here's the bad news: Y'know that business trip to Orlando that the Mr. asked me to go along on? I just this morning got on the facebook page for the Disney Store that I work at and asked if anybody would be able to take the two shifts that I was on the schedule for during that time. Then the Mr calls and says that the date has changed to the following week! :scared1: Only I could have a date change for a last minute trip! Here's the good news: We get to stay at the Swan & Dolphin! How cool is that?! :woohoo: The first night of MNSSHP is happening while we're there, too! Not sure if I'll go, but here's hoping! Wonder if I have any Halloween-y fabric around to make a tee shirt or something...

so awesome !! more time to plan and more fun to have !

Hey all! It's been soooo long since I've been here! We went to Disney in May and that is the last time I touched my machine. I officially burned myself out!!!! But now I've got a 5 y/o with a Brave party in 6 days and I'm scrambling, of course! I bought her "gasp" a shirt from the disney store and she looked at it and said, why can't you make me a shirt?!?!

So now I'm searching the designs and can't find what I'm looking for but I did see this on Etsy...does anyone know the designer of the applique? PM if you need to. Thanks!!!!
th_il_570xN358963713.jpg

sorry I can't help, but good luck !

They sell Brave fabric at Joann's now.

xprd11366317_z.jpg

My friends daughter came to try on and pick up her finished outfit. We still need matching ribbon for the back of the shirt but you can get the effect.

8E10EE6F-B574-4FA0-83F8-64E3B47A0614-7404-0000064BF9CB1F9D.jpg

4E9261AB-7D92-4777-84E5-D914EE185DE3-7404-0000064C12C86DF5.jpg

AD0891DF-0DF8-4D8F-9CBD-4446AA9C9BE8-7404-0000064C06899190.jpg

I used grommets for the first time today. Found out my counter is soft wood on the first try, oops! I went in the garage and got a piece of scrap for the rest of them.

I cut off the neckline of the t-shirt and made a casing and inserted elastic. Then i pinned up the back and sewed inside the shirt to hold about 1 inch of fabric on each side, then pinched about 1/2 inch of fabric and pinned it and placed 4 grommets on each side to make it lace up. I wanted to do something different and fun and she was all for it.

Oh wise people of the Disboutiquer thread! I see on your first page that you recommend the Brother sewing machine from Walmart. Do you know which model it is that you recommend for beginners? I am brand new to sewing (been wanting to try for a few years now) and I'm eager to start. My sister is going to join me in this venture as long as I do all the research/panning for it!

We plan to take the sewing courses at our local Joann Fabrics store. Currently, that means we'll make a placemat, then a tote, and then a simple shirt. We can then go on and learn another shirt, a jacket, and pajama pants too. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've only talked to people at Joann, so of course, they recommend and encourage me to take the classes. I plan to sign up for the first two classes during a 50% off day to save some $$.

They told me they will provide a machine for me if I don't have one, but recommend that I bring my own so I can learn my way around it. That makes sense. I'm just not ready to spend a lot of money on a small hobby, right off the bat. However, I am a graphic designer and therefore pretty computer saavy so the allure and features of a computerized machine sounds great. But I don't see a need to pay money for something I won't know how to even use. Maybe a more basic model would be the best to start. Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes:

(BTW, my "Disney" goal is to have a fish extender for my trip that starts Oct 31!)

I got a Brother for $35 from best buy . com./it was a refurb and did not have much ...just did 17 basic stitches, not much adjustment... it was great but I outgrew it VERY quickly...it just was not strong enough to sew through as many layers as I needed.
I would get something mid-range so you dont have to upgrade so quickly!

Outfit #3 completed!! Here is our version of Merida's green dress! This one was fun to make and I love the feel of the crushed velvet material!
232323232%7Ffp635%3C%3B%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D356879%3C8%3B%3B34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63634%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D356879873934%3Anu0mrj

so adorable!!!

So I had my friend's daughter over tonight so I could pin up the hem and decide on details for the skirt and shirt. We decided to make a slight change from the shirt I posted earlier for making the t-shirt into a peasant is not the direction we went. We did do the elastic top but we decided on something really fun for the shirt and I can't wait to see how it comes out. I'll be posting pictures before the week is up !!

Cant wait!!

My friends daughter came to try on and pick up her finished outfit. We still need matching ribbon for the back of the shirt but you can get the effect.

56B5FF60-4686-4FE1-AA47-DE58B20836D3-7404-000006487D4213D4.jpg

18770638-48E2-4D8D-BA01-C805A76FE24F-7404-0000064883C4F809.jpg

I used grommets for the first time today. Found out my counter is soft wood on the first try, oops! I went in the garage and got a piece of scrap for the rest of them.

I cut off the neckline of the t-shirt and made a casing and inserted elastic. Then i pinned up the back and sewed inside the shirt to hold about 1 inch of fabric on each side, then pinched about 1/2 inch of fabric and pinned it and placed 4 grommets on each side to make it lace up. I wanted to do something different and fun and she was all for it.

teach me to quote and comment when there are still 2 pages to read :lmao:

Thats super cute! I love the detail on the back!

Question...Does anyone know of a tutorial to upsize the Simply Sweet. It only goes to a size 8 and I need a larger size. It seems like it was posted here once before but I can't find it. TIA!

I sized up Carla's stripwork jumper, which is a very similar jumper. I went up 125% from a size 8 to a 16.5 That sized it up to around a 38 chest. If it fits the chest, the jumper will fit. I would agree with other posters about the armholes on older girls, especially if they have developed some. You might want to size up the bodice and just cut it out of muslin to try on your girl. Then adjust it for fit. Btw, the jumper looked adorable sized up. I suspect the simply sweet will also. I have to size that one up for the young lady I sew for, haven't done that yet. Good luck!
Mary

You are going to love Alaska in Sept. That's the same week that we went. The colors on the trees were beautiful and as a nice bonus all the tourist/souvenir stores were having 75% and 80% off sales to get rid of their merchandise because that mid-September date is usually one of the last trips of the season. Another bonus about going in Sept. is the aurora borealis (did I spell that right????) is more active and we had a couple of nights where we got a good view of it up in Fairbanks. Are you going that far north? We've talked several times about going back again but we need to get past the bat mitzvah and get some more $$$$ into college savings accounts first. Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!!!!

:yay: I'm thrilled to hear good things about Alaska in September. I've been preparing my husband for cold and wet, so anything different will be a pleasant surprise.

We fly first to Vancouver and stay there a night before the cruise. We start with seven nights sailing through the inside passage, then take the domed train to Denali. After three nights (two different locations) we travel by bus (love how they're called coaches) to Anchorage for a night before returning to NY on an overnight flight. :coffee:

Purple Ears where are you. We want to hear about your Alaska cruise.

pirate: I absolutey know what you mean about kiddie expenses. When our younger son enlisted in the Navy we used some of the money we had earmarked for his college for our older son. Now the younger one is going to college (with great help from the GI bill) and we're retired, but feel as though we need to $upport him too. We're trying to find the balance.

431466_4369687683002_1852641053_n.jpg

538414_4368919423796_1058068133_n.jpg

320253_4368920983835_867651513_n.jpg

I have been told by the hubby that I am addicted to my machine:rolleyes1.. I don't think so, but...Is there a 12 step program? :rotfl:

This was posted by Carla in Sept of 2008:

Personally, when I enlarge the patterns I add a little extra under the arm for better coverage (I actually do that for the smaller sizes too) so nothing is exposed or risque looking on older girls. Maybe I curve it in to add about 1/4 inch. HTH.

Love your nieces outfits! Are you going to use her for your etsy model?:rotfl2:

Thanks Andrea! And yes, the original plan was for her to be my etsy model but I'd prefer a pic where the child didn't look tortured wearing my clothes, lol!

All the outfits look very cute. Little girls can be very fickle about clothes.

Yes, they can! Thanks!

Thanks!

Love the outfits. I especially love the Daisy Duck top. What patterns did you use? My niece almost never models anything for me so you are lucky that you got them to put the outfits on.

Well, she never actually put Nemo on, lol. I used the Simply Sweet for the tops.

th_8E10EE6F-B574-4FA0-83F8-64E3B47A0614-7404-0000064BF9CB1F9D.jpg

It looks great on her!

:yay: I'm thrilled to hear good things about Alaska in September. I've been preparing my husband for cold and wet, so anything different will be a pleasant surprise.

We fly first to Vancouver and stay there a night before the cruise. We start with seven nights sailing through the inside passage, then take the domed train to Denali. After three nights (two different locations) we travel by bus (love how they're called coaches) to Anchorage for a night before returning to NY on an overnight flight. :coffee:

pirate: I absolutey know what you mean about kiddie expenses. When our younger son enlisted in the Navy we used some of the money we had earmarked for his college for our older son. Now the younger one is going to college (with great help from the GI bill) and we're retired, but feel as though we need to $upport him too. We're trying to find the balance.
You never know what you'll get when you head to Alaska. My in-laws went on one of the first cruises of the season last May. We told them to expect cold weather and I lent my mother in law (who lives in Florida) some warm clothes. But it turned out to be over 90 degrees ever day and they had to go and buy short sleeved shirts because they were too hot. I'm sure you will have fun no matter what! So you are staying in two locations at Denali? I think you will have a more in-depth tour of Denali than we did. We saw some moose on that trip but no bears. I hope you see lots of wildlife.

I hope you can find the balance to helping your son now that he is in college. It is tricky!

I have been told by the hubby that I am addicted to my machine:rolleyes1.. I don't think so, but...Is there a 12 step program? :rotfl:
I haven't found a cure and I don't think that I want to. :lmao: Why would you want to when you can make such cute stuff.

Addicted that machine is better than other things. Plus, it makes neat stuff ! The outfits are really cute !!

Ack !!! I only have 4 weeks to plan my vacation. got an e-mail abut kids flying free on JetBlue today for package deals and the prices weren't bad at all. Almost booked a deal to DL. Instead I choked at the price after I would include tickets and Halloween party tickets. Almost $4,000.......

I checked airfare alone and DANG if it wasn't a great sale too !!! $250 each for RT non-stop from Boston to LAX Per person. I jumped on that bandwagon and now we are going out to DL the end of September for 5 days and will be there for the first Halloween Party of the year. (Sept 28th) Will it be crowded ? Oh, what to wear ??? Now I need to get costumes done by the end of September instead of October ... UGH !!

So excited !!

I don't have an embroidery machine (yet) to be addicted too, but after my first applique, I'm itching to do more!!

Question: does anyone know of an easy kid's skort pattern?
I can wing it (that's what I do) and will probably need to as the outfit needs to be finished this week,:scared: but I'd like to have one on hand as certain babies I am to get addicted to Disney will be growing into big girl clothes soon.

Thanks!!

I don't have an embroidery machine (yet) to be addicted too, but after my first applique, I'm itching to do more!!

Question: does anyone know of an easy kid's skort pattern?
I can wing it (that's what I do) and will probably need to as the outfit needs to be finished this week,:scared: but I'd like to have one on hand as certain babies I am to get addicted to Disney will be growing into big girl clothes soon.

Thanks!!

http://thelongthread.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Skirt-with-Built-in-Shorts-Tutorial.pdf

Thanks girls for the Brave help! You are all correct, I found her! And she's having a great sale today too, if anyone is interested, 30% off entire order.

Thanks girls for the Brave help! You are all correct, I found her! And she's having a great sale today too, if anyone is interested, 30% off entire order.

I am on the site right now.. where do you see this 30% off???? :hyper:

Sew..... I have not been sewing all that long. I can make simple things like shorts and small stuff like that. Tonight I tried my hand at a baby blanket. I made it for a baby shower gift.

It was a bit hard but I believe it turned out super cute.
th_IMG_1512-1.jpg

I also made a sippy cup holder and a snack cup holder
th_IMG_1514.jpg

and a crayon roll. It will hold 16 crayons and can be rolled up and thrown in my bag.
thIMG_1515.jpg

Love everything but especially that baby blanket. Very unique with the scalloped edge.

Here is my hooded bath towel for the baby shower tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice on towel embroidery, it helped a lot!

th_20120826_004315.jpg

Love it! I always intended on making my kids hooded towels when they were younger but that never happened, now I wish I had just taken the time and done it.

so I finally finished sewing for our trip unless I decide to make myself one more shirt :) but I do have 1 order to finish so I probably wont.

Here are a couple things I decided J had to have for our trip.

Perry Set
th_perryoutfit.jpg

Knit Skulls
th_skulloutfit.jpg

Star Wars
th_starwarsj.jpg

oh and C decided she wanted an autograph pillowcase(I had never made one before)

th_autographpillowcase.jpg

Well I need to go check in for our flight and start packing :)

Great job! Love the Yoda, my boys are very much into Star Wars. Have a great trip!!

Oh wise people of the Disboutiquer thread! I see on your first page that you recommend the Brother sewing machine from Walmart. Do you know which model it is that you recommend for beginners? I am brand new to sewing (been wanting to try for a few years now) and I'm eager to start. My sister is going to join me in this venture as long as I do all the research/panning for it!

We plan to take the sewing courses at our local Joann Fabrics store. Currently, that means we'll make a placemat, then a tote, and then a simple shirt. We can then go on and learn another shirt, a jacket, and pajama pants too. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've only talked to people at Joann, so of course, they recommend and encourage me to take the classes. I plan to sign up for the first two classes during a 50% off day to save some $$.

They told me they will provide a machine for me if I don't have one, but recommend that I bring my own so I can learn my way around it. That makes sense. I'm just not ready to spend a lot of money on a small hobby, right off the bat. However, I am a graphic designer and therefore pretty computer saavy so the allure and features of a computerized machine sounds great. But I don't see a need to pay money for something I won't know how to even use. Maybe a more basic model would be the best to start. Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes:

(BTW, my "Disney" goal is to have a fish extender for my trip that starts Oct 31!)

Welcome. I never took a class except for home ec in midddle school. I just jumped right in and taught myself. I would agree with the others and get one that is at least $150, you don't want to go too cheap. I have a Kenmore that I bought on Black Friday a few years ago that does a pretty good job.

Outfit #3 completed!! Here is our version of Merida's green dress! This one was fun to make and I love the feel of the crushed velvet material!
232323232%7Ffp635%3C%3B%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D356879%3C8%3B%3B34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63634%3Enu%3D5%3B%3B3%3E54%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D356879873934%3Anu0mrj

Great job, she will be a hit on your trip with all the great outfits.

Here are a couple of things I did for my great-nieces that I never posted. The older one was going to model for me but this pic sums up how she felt about it, lol.

th_photoshoot019.jpg

I did this Minnie Mouse outfit for her little sister (who probably would have gladly modeled).

th_photoshoot001.jpg

And this Daisy Duck top with some matching capris which she wouldn't put on. She didn't "love them" lol

th_photoshoot015.jpg

The outfits are great and the girls are so cute, even if they didn't want to wear the outfits.

Yeah! Have a fun trip!

th_8E10EE6F-B574-4FA0-83F8-64E3B47A0614-7404-0000064BF9CB1F9D.jpg

th_4E9261AB-7D92-4777-84E5-D914EE185DE3-7404-0000064C12C86DF5.jpg

th_AD0891DF-0DF8-4D8F-9CBD-4446AA9C9BE8-7404-0000064C06899190.jpg

Love how the outfit turned out. I love the flowers around the bottom, great addition that really makes the skirt.

I have been told by the hubby that I am addicted to my machine.. I don't think so, but...Is there a 12 step program?

Looks great! No help on a 12 step program, I'm addicted too.

Ack !!! I only have 4 weeks to plan my vacation. got an e-mail abut kids flying free on JetBlue today for package deals and the prices weren't bad at all. Almost booked a deal to DL. Instead I choked at the price after I would include tickets and Halloween party tickets. Almost $4,000.......

I checked airfare alone and DANG if it wasn't a great sale too !!! $250 each for RT non-stop from Boston to LAX Per person. I jumped on that bandwagon and now we are going out to DL the end of September for 5 days and will be there for the first Halloween Party of the year. (Sept 28th) Will it be crowded ? Oh, what to wear ??? Now I need to get costumes done by the end of September instead of October ... UGH !!

So excited !!

How exciting!! Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter