Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

[QUOTE
And I made luggage tags for the Friday night crowd and their children:
DSCF6727.jpg

DSCF6728.jpg

.[/QUOTE]

I would love to know if you used a pattern for these tags? I want to make some but need directions to follow.

BorkBorkBork said:
Well, I was all set to order my Brother PE770 on Amazon last night, the one they have listed new for $590...and it says it "usually ships within 1 to 2 MONTHS":faint: :sad::sad::sad: Hopefully it'll be back in stock soon!

Oh man! That's terrible. I got mine a few weeks ago and it was here in 2 days. And less than that. Fingers crossed they're back soon. Evidently this discussion thread has created quite a demand!

Oh man! That's terrible. I got mine a few weeks ago and it was here in 2 days. And less than that. Fingers crossed they're back soon. Evidently this discussion thread has created quite a demand!

Did you get yours from Amazon too? The price fluctuates a bit. I really should save the money up first so I'll have 2 months to do that and hopefully the price will go back down a bit!

BorkBorkBork said:
Did you get yours from Amazon too? The price fluctuates a bit. I really should save the money up first so I'll have 2 months to do that and hopefully the price will go back down a bit!

I did. We have amazon Prime for 2-day shipping. I got mind literally a couple weeks ago. There are sites (I think) that track amazon prices and email you when they go down for a certain item. I haven't used them in a while so I can't recommend a specific one. But my 770 was less than $550.

Hi all, I don't know where to post this, but thought you might understand. My mom passed away suddenly this am. I just started learning to sew in May/June and my mom was teaching me. She lent me her sewing machine and I was able to post the pics on the last thread. She was a home ec teacher that we never asked to teach us until this year. She was supposed to be leaving for Disney with my family next month. I don't know what to do about my dad. I don't know if he should still go or not - but I will leave that up to him after things calm down. I have some awesome things I will love to post in memory of my blessed mother.

Thank you for the vent. I just want to scream right now. I was so blessed to have her as a mom.

I have to add my condolenses as well. My mom, thank God, is still a very vibrant 78, but my Dad died rather suddenly in 1999. It still hits me every once in a while how much I miss him.

Remember the blessings and remember she is always a part of you.

Blessings on you and your family during your mourning.

There is simply too much here to quote..... I'm in awe of the creativity among the posters on this thread. While I may not post much, I read the thread daily. Unfortunately I have no kiddos to sew for. Most of my sewing is in church paraments, banners, flags and pastoral stoles for my DD and DSIL - both ordained ministers. Would be rather peculiar to have a Mickey Mouse on a church parament. :goodvibes

Keep up the good work ladies, you are all an inspiration! :thumbsup2

LovesTheMagic, my sympathies to you on the loss of your beloved mother. The time you spent together learning to sew will forever be etched upon your heart. :grouphug:

By all accounts, it sounds as if all that were at the Dis meet had an exceptionally good time becoming acquainted and making new friends. Gotta tell you, D~ your Donald bag is great! Who would have thought to put a zipper in the bottom to accommodate your hat? I do believe you've started a new trend.

i love the Pooh dress so cute. Where do you all get the luggage tags pattern from?? I'm feeling like that might be a cute gift for my group trip in nov. I like the dance bags too might have to try that one out soon.

After doing two teeth-gnashing men's western frock coats for an indie movie my brother is making, I finally got to sew something fun!!! I made a Simply Sweet with princess modifications and my mom helped me make a coordinating hairbow as part of our fundraising efforts for Team Gleason for ALS patients. (DH and I are trying to raise money for them as we train for the Half Marathon at WDW)

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

This was my first attempt at princess modifications and I really liked how they came out!! (Now I think I'll need to add a princess modification dress for my DD to my to-do list! LOL)

Hi all, I don't know where to post this, but thought you might understand. My mom passed away suddenly this am. I just started learning to sew in May/June and my mom was teaching me. She lent me her sewing machine and I was able to post the pics on the last thread. She was a home ec teacher that we never asked to teach us until this year. She was supposed to be leaving for Disney with my family next month. I don't know what to do about my dad. I don't know if he should still go or not - but I will leave that up to him after things calm down. I have some awesome things I will love to post in memory of my blessed mother.

Thank you for the vent. I just want to scream right now. I was so blessed to have her as a mom.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I went through this 2 years ago. I hope Dad hangs in there and takes the trip with you. We went to Disney about a month after my Mom passed and we were frequently talking about what Mom would have liked. I think we found it comforting.

I am way behind after heading to Charlotte for the weekend. I am home but still haven't made it to the bottom of the pile of stuff on the counter that piled up all weekend. When I got home on Sunday night my son's backpack and sneakers were on the floor in the hall where he dropped them when he came home from school on Friday. The kids are in one piece and I got to spend a wonderful weekend meeting so many wonderful people so I will not complain!

WTMTQ but I love the Toy Story halloween costumes and all the pretty dresses.

Andrea - I love seeing all your twirl skirts together and that picture of Alexa with Minnie is so cute. I hope you and Cheryl will enjoy that new iPad!
The totes you made are beautiful and making them reversible was a great idea. Thanks again for the wonderful luggage tags. My DD has already put hers on her school bag and was showing off to her friends!

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, what a huge loss this is for you and your family.

WyomingMomof6 - your little ones look so cute going off to school. Love their outfits and the other back to school outfits you posted earlier.

McDuck - the princess dress came out very nice and I love the hairbow.

I love all the tote bags. They look great. One of my projects for this fall is going to be an Aivilo bag for me. I bought those patterns when she had a sale last spring and I haven't even looked at them yet. I forgot to say that I love the luggage tags that you make. Do you use the double needle when you make them?
:rotfl2: I have no clue how to use a double needle! I promise you, the stitching does not line up! They are to be viewed at a distance :)

The bags look amazing! Everyone must have just loved them! I really like that style of luggage tag. Did you use a pattern or tutorial to make them?
I based my luggage tags on a tutorial that I originally used, but I recreated it to make the tags fold over. This is the tut for visible tags:
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/11/13/fabric-luggage-tag-for-business-card/

For the fold over I cut the fabric 3.5" x 11" and angled the corners on one end and put a button hole there for the strap to go through. Does that makes sense?

It's the first day of school here! I was up until past midnight working on outfits for my kiddos because I put if off until the last minute.

Here's my 3rd grade diva!

th_1345561090.jpg

And my second grader!

th_1345561321.jpg

Thanks for all of the compliments on my other things! It always means so much!

I have a ton of things I want to quote on but I have to run back to the school because when I got home I noticed I had left sandwiches on the counter instead of putting them in the lunch boxes. So all they have now are grapes and a cheese stick unless I run them to them, lol.

Back later!
Very cute! Which reminds me I have a 4th grade rocks t for ds and was going to see if I could change the 4 to a 5 somehow for this year. DD gets the same dress she's worn since Kindergarten -- it will be her 4th year in that dress, but I did redo the bodice last year. I see you kids get the same lunch mine do (except my ds doesn't like cheese so he gets a yogurt instead of the cheese stick).

I would love to know if you used a pattern for these tags? I want to make some but need directions to follow.

Please see my above post.

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/11/13/fabric-luggage-tag-for-business-card/

That's the original tut but I improvised more and made my fold over. Both turn out cute but they are hard to make perfectly neat with the tiny corners and all.

I did. We have amazon Prime for 2-day shipping. I got mind literally a couple weeks ago. There are sites (I think) that track amazon prices and email you when they go down for a certain item. I haven't used them in a while so I can't recommend a specific one. But my 770 was less than $550.
Wow!!! I think mine was $636 but that was over a year ago -- it also came from Amazon.

i love the Pooh dress so cute. Where do you all get the luggage tags pattern from?? I'm feeling like that might be a cute gift for my group trip in nov. I like the dance bags too might have to try that one out soon.
See above posts for the tut and explanation of how I altered it :)

After doing two teeth-gnashing men's western frock coats for an indie movie my brother is making, I finally got to sew something fun!!! I made a Simply Sweet with princess modifications and my mom helped me make a coordinating hairbow as part of our fundraising efforts for Team Gleason for ALS patients. (DH and I are trying to raise money for them as we train for the Half Marathon at WDW)

th_DSC_0041.jpg

th_DSC_0038.jpg

This was my first attempt at princess modifications and I really liked how they came out!! (Now I think I'll need to add a princess modification dress for my DD to my to-do list! LOL)
I already got the sneak preview on Judy's ptr :) The dress is really pretty. I thought you made it for your dd, but I see here that is not the case.

1345561090.jpg

And my second grader!

1345561321.jpg

Back later!
Those are great back to school outfits! Your little ones are growing up! It is a good thing you have that new granddaughter to start sewing for. You all sure start school early. I thought that you might start school a little later so far north so your kids could enjoy the last bit of warm weather.

I made a Simply Sweet with princess modifications and my mom helped me make a coordinating hairbow as part of our fundraising efforts for Team Gleason for ALS patients. (DH and I are trying to raise money for them as we train for the Half Marathon at WDW)

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

That turned out so sweet! I love the shiny purple fabric that you used. I have some princess Tiana fabric and I haven't know what to do with it. I have been saving it for a Big Give.

:rotfl2: I have no clue how to use a double needle! I promise you, the stitching does not line up! They are to be viewed at a distance :)

I see you kids get the same lunch mine do (except my ds doesn't like cheese so he gets a yogurt instead of the cheese stick).
Using the double needle was pretty easy. I learned how to use it this summer and I really liked it. Threading it was a little bit tricky because I have a Brother that uses the thread cartridges instead of threading a normal way. But once I learned to do that part, it was a breeze. I used the double needle on all those jumpers that I made a few weeks ago.

My kids don't really take sandwiches anymore. They love to take chicken ceasar salads, chicken fingers, hummus & pita chips, soups and other such stuff. We just bought a bunch of stuff to make salads for next week when school starts. I bought some re-useable containers with a freezer pack that clips into the lid so that the salad stays fresh and cold. Hopefully they will work well because they were a little pricy.

My kids don't really take sandwiches anymore. They love to take chicken ceasar salads, chicken fingers, hummus & pita chips, soups and other such stuff. We just bought a bunch of stuff to make salads for next week when school starts. I bought some re-useable containers with a freezer pack that clips into the lid so that the salad stays fresh and cold. Hopefully they will work well because they were a little pricy.
How I wish you were my Mommy!!!! I would love a lunch like that. We actually only do sandwiches twice a week -- three days a week it's something in the thermos such as shells and cheese, spaghetti, chicken nuggets and other unhealthy crap kids like :rotfl: But this year my kids are in for a **treat** as they are getting water only to drink -- oh how they are going to hate me! DS would always have milk and dd would have iced tea, but they really need to drink more water.

I think I figured out the picture thing, way easier than before! This was 2 years ago.

74274_1582147285562_8057699_n.jpg

75827_1582146245536_4826378_n.jpg

73733_1582148725598_909818_n.jpg

75698_1582147005555_1942467_n.jpg

Sooooooooooo cute. I want the alien!

Love the American Grrrrrl Doll!!

Thanks. I've only made her the one skirt (which i never finished.) Most of the time she's just bare. :rotfl2:

For my last set I was able to get 4 per yard of flannel, but my flannel was probably purchased a year ago. It's really sad that Joann's is doing that. It always reminds me of the ice cream cartons -- you no longer get as much ice cream as you used to, yet the price is higher. Anywhoo, I love the fabrics you used for the cases and I know GKTW will be very thankful.

:cloud9: Ice cream

Safe travels to your baby.

:drive:Tonights update, he's in Arizona, headed for Las Vegas for the night.

I think anyone likes compliments and acknowledgements, but I still like doing things whether that happens or not. I think that's why the BG works well for a lot of us -- we're kind of doing something behind the scenes for our own personal pleasure and get rewarded internally for our acts of kindness.

And I've noticed a few of us on the board say we don't really have anyone to sew for, so Big Gives give us a reason to sew.

Hi everyone! I have been a lurker/semi poster/question asker on this board before but disappeared because I got super stressed with work last year. I am still itching for an embroidery machine and still not sure which one to get. I know everyone recommended one with a 5x7 hoop but it seems those just aren't in the budget just yet. I know my husband would buy it for me if that is what I really wanted but I am trying to be budget minded. Can someone show me an example of a 4x4 vs 5x7 design? My daughter is only 1 and I know most things I make for her will not be very big at this moment but I am afraid I will want the 5x7.

I did make her a dress and bib for her first birthday and hand appliqued (as you can see I had a minor mess up when I got distracted) that I want to share...

th_DSC_3273.jpg
th_DSC_3267.jpg

They turned out great. I love all the polka dots and the big smile.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We are actually southeast of the big ships -- closer to where all the jets are (though my dh has NOTHING to do with the jets.

Good to have the correct address. Be looking for the iPad. :magnify:

I just spent the last hour reading 14 pages to catch up. I am way to exhausted to try to figure out the multi-quote tonight. So I am going by memory.
I haven't figured out how I am going to transfer all of my files from my "dead" laptop to my new one. I am glad that I have a few photos that I e-mailed myself. I finished this Pooh dress the other night and I am thrilled with it. I love when I imagine something and it comes out better. (It is an apron knot dress) I just pinned it for the pictures.

th_WinniethePoohDressSLB2012.jpg

I am off to bed. I am supposed to be up early to go look at a daycare for my daughter. *sigh*

I love it. Great job.

I made Judy an Aivilo style tote bag -- only way larger and with a few modifications.
th_DSCF6718.jpg

Lisa received a quilted reversible ballet tote:
th_DSCF6722.jpg
th_DSCF6721.jpg
th_DSCF6720.jpg

Rachel received a guitar/music quilted reversible tote:
th_DSCF6726.jpg
th_DSCF6725.jpg
th_DSCF6723.jpg
th_DSCF6724.jpg

And I made luggage tags for the Friday night crowd and their children:
th_DSCF6727.jpg

Your goodies all turned out great. I love making tote bags (when I'm not frustrated that they take so long). The luggage tags will sure make it easier to spot the bags on the airport carousel.

What will you do with all your free time now that you're not sewing for the trip AND your kiddies will be back in school?

It's the first day of school here! I was up until past midnight working on outfits for my kiddos because I put if off until the last minute.

Here's my 3rd grade diva!

th_1345561090.jpg

And my second grader!

th_1345561321.jpg

Back later!

The outfits looks great. :thumbsup2

I don't miss things like forgetting lunches, but I still miss back to school supply shopping. NOT for clothes, just for pencils and notebooks and markers.

th_DSC_0041.jpg

I love the darker purple with the dress. Great job.

Andrea - I love seeing all your twirl skirts together and that picture of Alexa with Minnie is so cute. I hope you and Cheryl will enjoy that new iPad!

I think I can speak for both of us when I say we're looking forward to it. ::yes::

I tried to quote everyone, but it was just too much and it got confusing on the phone. Everything is sooo cute!

Lovesthemagic, so sorry to hear about your mom.I'm glad she was able to teach you some sewing skills and you guys were able to share those moments.

Andrea, thanks for all the great info and the wonderful pics of the patchwork twirls. However, that project will be on the back burner for awhile.

Having a 2 year old and working full time doesn't leave much time to explore this sewing and embroidery thing.

I did make a Donald duck lovey for my friends baby, but I am sorry to say the duck was wounded, next time, I'll try with the whole body. And now I'm working on the minky baby blanket with Donald embroidery. This project has been difficult, but hopefully I will get to post pics soon.

Gotta go for now, DD2 is on the potty again, training is so fun :/

Ooh, I knew I forgot something. Here is a pic with 4x4 next to 5x7, sorry its sideways, not sure why.

I was wanting to get into embroidery and wanted a machine and thought I could just start with a 4x4. But I took everyones advice and got the PE770. I am very glad I got the bigger hoop. I also thought, well DD2 is small, but already I have plans for a princess skirt with 5x7 designs.

Also, some designs are not in 4x4. Many are 5x7. I would save up. I got mine on Abes of Maine, because price on Amazon went up $100 and I wanted it now. But then I started to worry about this site and it wasnt shipping the fast speed, but I called and I got it the next day. Mine was $600. Oh and I used bill me later, free interest for 6 months, if paid in full by then, so that helped.

Sorry for the big pic and the no relative to anything. My advice is take a 4x6 pic and 5x7 pic and hold it against fabric to see which one you like, knowing the 4x4 is obviously smaller then the 4x6 pic.

Andrea I absolutely love the totes and luggage tags you made. That was so super sweet of you.

Ooh, I knew I forgot something. Here is a pic with 4x4 next to 5x7, sorry its sideways, not sure why.

I was wanting to get into embroidery and wanted a machine and thought I could just start with a 4x4. But I took everyones advice and got the PE770. I am very glad I got the bigger hoop. I also thought, well DD2 is small, but already I have plans for a princess skirt with 5x7 designs.

Also, some designs are not in 4x4. Many are 5x7. I would save up. I got mine on Abes of Maine, because price on Amazon went up $100 and I wanted it now. But then I started to worry about this site and it wasnt shipping the fast speed, but I called and I got it the next day. Mine was $600. Oh and I used bill me later, free interest for 6 months, if paid in full by then, so that helped.

Sorry for the big pic and the no relative to anything. My advice is take a 4x6 pic and 5x7 pic and hold it against fabric to see which one you like, knowing the 4x4 is obviously smaller then the 4x6 pic.

Those Minnies are so cute!

I just ordered my Photopass Plus CD(s) - over 1,000 pictures! I think I got my money's worth.

I'm already thinking about the next Disney trip...planning for August 2014 - next summer I want to do Boston and NYC as a road trip with the kids so that will be a much cheaper than Disney adventure (but we may have to visit the NYC Disney store on 5th Avenue of course).

I am in the middle of teacher workdays with school starting next week, so I am making a dress for me for open house (Thursday) and some new school outfits for DD who is starting kindergarten. I probably won't be on here much for the next couple of weeks, but I do intend to work on my trip report once I get all my photos organized.

Happy sewing, ladies!

I LOVE my iPad3 and before that my ipod touch. I DON'T like multi-quoting on the Dis with it, though. It's far more tedious than with a mouse, imo. That's my only criticism though. Otherwise, I use it constantly!

C.

you can multi quote??
I have an IPAD 2 and I LOVE it! I am famous for buying things I'm sure I will use and then I just don't. Not the iPad. I still use it nearly every day.

The only thing I don't like about it, is when it eats my DIS replies, but that think that is just a glitch I need to figure out.
Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter