• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 29 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Dropping by today to solicit some ideas. I have received a long list of requests from an acquaintance of a friend who saw the shirts I made for the friend's kids and now wants me to MAKE. HER. EVERYTHING. She is willing to pay, though I haven't given her any price point yet so this may all be moot since she might think buying custom clothes is cheaper than store-bought or something. So, among the list of bowling shirts and t-shirts and a custom preschool backpack (saying no to that one.) she has a request for a complete birthday outfit for her 3-year-old, which is "Heffalump inspired". And while I could check the movie(s) out of the library I figured I would ask the Disney experts. She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

So, what the heck does that look like in your minds? I did make safari vests for my kids for AK, they were sort of a wing-it project and they were a pain with all the pockets and such. (I think I spent about 4-5 hours on each one by the time they were done.)

So I am wondering a few things:
1. Does anyone have any ideas for easier/less time consuming pockets that look safari-like? I sorta don't even care if they are functional or just for show. I do have a PES file for adding pockets to t-shirts ITH but I haven't actually done it yet.

How about just a khaki vest with a Heffalump on the back and pooh on the front, no pockets. I would use Pooh fabric for the shorts and maybe cut one out to use on the vest. Is there a PES file of Pooh with a heffalump for the shirt ?

2. What the heck is heffalump-inspired supposed to look like for a little boy? I googled it and it was a sea of pale purple and seemed sort of girly and juvenile to me, not something I would want to make for my 3 year old boys. Might make a cute dress... But what fabric, colors, etc?

The heffalump himself is gray so colors should be easy.

3. Any other thoughts on this debacle? I don't want it to turn into NannyE's make-a-dress situation last month. This lady has the potential to be a good customer or a complete nightmare.

4. It is totally OK to tell me to watch the movie and leave you all alone.

Thanks, Jen

I wish I could help you more but I am not a fan of Pooh so I don't know. Just remember to add cost for thread and time. Tell her an upfront $50 and then she can shop with you and pay for all the material needed so she knows how much it will cost before you do anything.

On another note, I decided to name my new machine. I am going with Eudora. Some of you may get it right away but I want to see how many first.

Haha Flora. Do I have you mixed up with someone else? Someone encouraged me to name my new machine and I thought it was a fun idea.

Couldn't sleep last night at all, so was looking things up and came across this item on ebay if anyone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-PE-...434?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item257c420912

Its a Brother 770 embroidery machine that was traded in for an upgrade. It has been serviced and is ready to go. No idea of the stitch count, but thought I'd pass the info along. Sorry if I'm enabling someone, but it's at $475 right now, which is a pretty good deal for a used one I think.

I think I did encourage someone to name their machine recently. Maybe I should go back and name my 270D and my serger. The reason why my stand mixer got named Figment is partly because of it's colour - it's the same colour as Figment (I got it from Sears outlet so I didn't get to choose the colour).

I resist looking at machines on ebay since the shipping cost to Canada would negate any potential savings!

My DGD's class is putting on "The Lion King" play....and she got the part as Timon......I need to make her a costume. I've searched and found costumes for up to 36 mos.....and then found the real expensive ones for adults. Can anyone give me any ideas how to put this together? I can sew (SIMPLE THINGS)....since it's a singing show....she won't be able to wear a mask....I thought maybe I could make one like they show on the baby costumes. I have no ideas...I found some brown capri pants at old navy and a brown hoodie on the jiffy or hanes site. This is turning into nightmare....:confused:..thank you very much - barb

Can you add black stripes to the shirt sleeves to look like Timon? I guess you will need to add a tail as well.

1. Does anyone have any ideas for easier/less time consuming pockets that look safari-like? I sorta don't even care if they are functional or just for show. I do have a PES file for adding pockets to t-shirts ITH but I haven't actually done it yet.

2. What the heck is heffalump-inspired supposed to look like for a little boy? I googled it and it was a sea of pale purple and seemed sort of girly and juvenile to me, not something I would want to make for my 3 year old boys. Might make a cute dress... But what fabric, colors, etc?

3. Any other thoughts on this debacle? I don't want it to turn into NannyE's make-a-dress situation last month. This lady has the potential to be a good customer or a complete nightmare.

Thanks, Jen

1) How about mesh pockets for the vest and just do it as ITH?

2) Heffalump is an elephant, so maybe you can do something along those lines?

3) Well, I just did a bunch of T-shirts for one of my co-workers (applique + names). She supplied the shirts and offered to pay. I told her how time I spent on them and gave her a price based on the time spent (which is no where close to what I make at work). She did not complain about the price. She said she may mention me to her friends - we'll see if anything comes from that.

4) I just read the summary of the movie to find out the plot. The funny thing is that we actually have the DVD of the movie. I got it from a garage sale for $1 and it has been sitting on the shelf since!

My DGD's class is putting on "The Lion King" play....and she got the part as Timon......I need to make her a costume. I've searched and found costumes for up to 36 mos.....and then found the real expensive ones for adults. Can anyone give me any ideas how to put this together? I can sew (SIMPLE THINGS)....since it's a singing show....she won't be able to wear a mask....I thought maybe I could make one like they show on the baby costumes. I have no ideas...I found some brown capri pants at old navy and a brown hoodie on the jiffy or hanes site. This is turning into nightmare....:confused:..thank you very much - barb
Since it is a play, you only need to get the general idea of Timon from the costume because she will be "acting" the part and everybody will know from her acting which character she is. That said, I'd dress her in brown and then add the long ears and the hair tuft to the hood. Remember it doesn't have to look perfect up close, it only has to "represent" the character from far away. I have done a decent amount of helping with costumes at my my dd's middle school and we do stuff like that all the time.

She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

Thanks, Jen
I think I'd do some easy fit shorts with cargo pockets. I'd go with more of a safari themed outfit. Make it into a Heffalump hunting outfit by adding a Pooh to the shirt with some kind of wording like Heffalump hunter. I'd skip all the purple and girly colors. I can't imagine the mom wants a purple outfit for a 3 yo boy's birthday party.

To make the pockets easier, you should cut them doubled, fold them inside out, sew them together and then turn them right side out, close the opening and sew them to the shorts. Here is a tutorial that has some good pocket ideas: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/easy-patch-pockets/ I hate doing pockets where you have to press the pocket edged under and then try and get everything right as you sew them onto the pants or skirt. It is much easier to finish the pocket completely and then just attach it to your project. I have a skort pattern that I have put off making because it has about 6 pockets on it and even when you simplify them, it is a pain to do that many.

Good luck with the customer. I hope it goes well and she turns out to be great to work with.

Dropping by today to solicit some ideas. I have received a long list of requests from an acquaintance of a friend who saw the shirts I made for the friend's kids and now wants me to MAKE. HER. EVERYTHING. She is willing to pay, though I haven't given her any price point yet so this may all be moot since she might think buying custom clothes is cheaper than store-bought or something. So, among the list of bowling shirts and t-shirts and a custom preschool backpack (saying no to that one.) she has a request for a complete birthday outfit for her 3-year-old, which is "Heffalump inspired". And while I could check the movie(s) out of the library I figured I would ask the Disney experts. She says she wants a safari vest, a t-shirt and matching pants with Pooh and Heffalump to go with the party theme of "Help (kid) hunt for his Heffalump."

So, what the heck does that look like in your minds? I did make safari vests for my kids for AK, they were sort of a wing-it project and they were a pain with all the pockets and such. (I think I spent about 4-5 hours on each one by the time they were done.)

These were a Carla C bowling shirt, minus the sleeves, collar and plackets, canvas lined with plain cotton. That part was easy. The not-as-easy part was I added 3 cargo pockets w/ little flaps and button close, plus a little tab/hook thing for the compass and some freehand embroidery (pre-embroidery machine.) to the pocket and the back. The shirts I made were plain white w/ HeatherSue's Safari Donald and Mickey, and shorts I bought on clearance at Kohls... So yeah, a complete outfit, but I guess I cheated.

Thanks, Jen

First of all, how flattering that this person so admired your work! I love the idea of putting cargo pockets on the easy fits and just stitching out the characters on the shirt. It was very clever of you to use the bowling shirt as a jumping off place for the vest. That should work again and without the pockets to contend with, should go much more quickly.

I have no experience what-so-ever with the heffalump, so no help there, but wanted to wish you luck. I know you'll come up with something wonderfully creative as usual. Can't wait to see photos of the finished items! Good luck!

I wish I could help you more but I am not a fan of Pooh so I don't know. Just remember to add cost for thread and time. Tell her an upfront $50 and then she can shop with you and pay for all the material needed so she knows how much it will cost before you do anything.

On another note, I decided to name my new machine. I am going with Eudora. Some of you may get it right away but I want to see how many first.

1) How about mesh pockets for the vest and just do it as ITH?

2) Heffalump is an elephant, so maybe you can do something along those lines?

3) Well, I just did a bunch of T-shirts for one of my co-workers (applique + names). She supplied the shirts and offered to pay. I told her how time I spent on them and gave her a price based on the time spent (which is no where close to what I make at work). She did not complain about the price. She said she may mention me to her friends - we'll see if anything comes from that.

4) I just read the summary of the movie to find out the plot. The funny thing is that we actually have the DVD of the movie. I got it from a garage sale for $1 and it has been sitting on the shelf since!

I think I'd do some easy fit shorts with cargo pockets. I'd go with more of a safari themed outfit. Make it into a Heffalump hunting outfit by adding a Pooh to the shirt with some kind of wording like Heffalump hunter. I'd skip all the purple and girly colors. I can't imagine the mom wants a purple outfit for a 3 yo boy's birthday party.

To make the pockets easier, you should cut them doubled, fold them inside out, sew them together and then turn them right side out, close the opening and sew them to the shorts. Here is a tutorial that has some good pocket ideas: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/06/easy-patch-pockets/ I hate doing pockets where you have to press the pocket edged under and then try and get everything right as you sew them onto the pants or skirt. It is much easier to finish the pocket completely and then just attach it to your project. I have a skort pattern that I have put off making because it has about 6 pockets on it and even when you simplify them, it is a pain to do that many.

Good luck with the customer. I hope it goes well and she turns out to be great to work with.

First of all, how flattering that this person so admired your work! I love the idea of putting cargo pockets on the easy fits and just stitching out the characters on the shirt. It was very clever of you to use the bowling shirt as a jumping off place for the vest. That should work again and without the pockets to contend with, should go much more quickly.

I have no experience what-so-ever with the heffalump, so no help there, but wanted to wish you luck. I know you'll come up with something wonderfully creative as usual. Can't wait to see photos of the finished items! Good luck!

Thanks everybody. Diane, I totally did the pockets the fold-the-edges and pin way on the safari vests since they were pleated cargo pockets, that was the tutorial I found. When I made Trev's Star Wars big give shorts I did the turn inside out method and that was easier. I did not make the pleats though so they don't expand. Bookmaring that tutorial since I disliked the way I did it before. That seems much easier.

I sent the lady a price quote last night, and some fabric choices and applique designs for her wish list, and even discounted what I would normally charge (which I think isn't that much for the amt of work and cost of materials.) so for 2 custom embroidered shirts, a bowling shirt (w/ multiple appliqués and licensed fabric I would have to buy because I don't have it on hand) plus the 3-piece safari outfit vest/pants/shirt for $100 for all, and she balked. She decided on just 2 embroidered t-shirts, no bowling shirt, no safari vest. I will just be doing HeatherSue's heffalump on a t-shirt with the kid's name only. SO much ado about nothing. I think people just don't "get" how much work goes into sewing custom outfits, and the cost of materials. The Yo Gabba Gabba fabric she wanted the shirt out of was $11 a yard. And a bowling shirt uses at least 1-2 yards. I could use 1 yard of that and 1 yard of solids, but still... I guess when you can buy clothes at Walmart for a couple bucks it doesn't make sense to pay more.

On a different note, I am going to the Sewing Expo this afternoon, which I am super excited. I have never been so I am not sure what to expect, but I get an afternoon of kid-free time so honestly it doesn't matter. My husband's mom is in town this weekend to watch the kids so I can volunteer at my Moms of Twins club resale Friday and Saturday, so I was able to swing the expo too, which is exciting timing. I feel bad though since one kid woke up puking this morning (OMG this winter and the sickness needs to end!) so I am ditching Grandma with a sick kid, but Mama needs a break.

Thanks everybody. Diane, I totally did the pockets the fold-the-edges and pin way on the safari vests since they were pleated cargo pockets, that was the tutorial I found. When I made Trev's Star Wars big give shorts I did the turn inside out method and that was easier. I did not make the pleats though so they don't expand. Bookmaring that tutorial since I disliked the way I did it before. That seems much easier.

I sent the lady a price quote last night, and some fabric choices and applique designs for her wish list, and even discounted what I would normally charge (which I think isn't that much for the amt of work and cost of materials.) so for 2 custom embroidered shirts, a bowling shirt (w/ multiple appliqués and licensed fabric I would have to buy because I don't have it on hand) plus the 3-piece safari outfit vest/pants/shirt for $100 for all, and she balked. She decided on just 2 embroidered t-shirts, no bowling shirt, no safari vest. I will just be doing HeatherSue's heffalump on a t-shirt with the kid's name only. SO much ado about nothing. I think people just don't "get" how much work goes into sewing custom outfits, and the cost of materials. The Yo Gabba Gabba fabric she wanted the shirt out of was $11 a yard. And a bowling shirt uses at least 1-2 yards. I could use 1 yard of that and 1 yard of solids, but still... I guess when you can buy clothes at Walmart for a couple bucks it doesn't make sense to pay more.

On a different note, I am going to the Sewing Expo this afternoon, which I am super excited. I have never been so I am not sure what to expect, but I get an afternoon of kid-free time so honestly it doesn't matter. My husband's mom is in town this weekend to watch the kids so I can volunteer at my Moms of Twins club resale Friday and Saturday, so I was able to swing the expo too, which is exciting timing. I feel bad though since one kid woke up puking this morning (OMG this winter and the sickness needs to end!) so I am ditching Grandma with a sick kid, but Mama needs a break.

I'm one of those "Jump to the worst possible scenerio" people, so everything is always something of a "much ado about nothing" situation. People who don't do a lot of crafty things - or arty things either - don't usually "get" how much work/time/money goes into OOAK items or custom creations. My family used to have a craft business and go to a lot of craft fairs and you would hear "Psh - I can make one of those for cheaper." It used to make me annoyed until I realized that all they ever did was SAY "I can make one" and never actually made one.

And - Have fun on your kid-free afternoon! (I'll pray for Grandma;))

Yay ! Have lots of fun ! I can't wait to go but I have to wait until October. Learn lots !

So, I need advice. I am making my niece her 1st Birthday dress/outfit. The dress has a large yoke on it and I want to write something or do something on it. My Aunt's machine can sew out letters bigger than mine but still not very big. Should I have done something on it before I cut it out ? I can cut out a new one if I need to. I also want to do something on the butt of the panties, either ruffles or maybe a 1 ?? The main fabric for the dress is cupcakes and the yoke is light pink. The panties are pink and brown polka dots on pink with chocolate frosted cherries on it, so very busy.

You are very generous to quote only $100 for those outfits. I would have charged more! I agree, a lot of people don't understand the amount of work that goes into making clothes. That's the main reason why I don't sew for my niece and nephew, since their parents don't understand the amount of love and labour that went into each outfit.

I hope you had fun at the Sewing Expo. I would like to attend one some time. I hope the resale will go well. I am sorry that grandma got stuck with a sick kid, but I agree that mama needs a break now and then! I hope that your son will recover quickly.

So, I need advice. I am making my niece her 1st Birthday dress/outfit. The dress has a large yoke on it and I want to write something or do something on it. My Aunt's machine can sew out letters bigger than mine but still not very big. Should I have done something on it before I cut it out ? I can cut out a new one if I need to. I also want to do something on the butt of the panties, either ruffles or maybe a 1 ?? The main fabric for the dress is cupcakes and the yoke is light pink. The panties are pink and brown polka dots on pink with chocolate frosted cherries on it, so very busy.

I think it is easier to work with larger pieces of fabric when I do embrodiery or applique. Depending on the size of the yoke, I may stitch it out first (that also ensures that the embroidery is centered properly). Given what you described for the panties, I would just leave it "plain" since the materials are quite busy already.

I'm one of those "Jump to the worst possible scenerio" people, so everything is always something of a "much ado about nothing" situation. People who don't do a lot of crafty things - or arty things either - don't usually "get" how much work/time/money goes into OOAK items or custom creations. My family used to have a craft business and go to a lot of craft fairs and you would hear "Psh - I can make one of those for cheaper." It used to make me annoyed until I realized that all they ever did was SAY "I can make one" and never actually made one.

And - Have fun on your kid-free afternoon! (I'll pray for Grandma;))

Grandma survived and everyone was feeling better by lunch time, but also took a long nap so hopefully that helps whatever the next bug on the horizon.
I was sort of thinking worst-case scenario because what I have known of this particular person is she is very high-need so I figured prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Yay ! Have lots of fun ! I can't wait to go but I have to wait until October. Learn lots !

I would usually embroider before I assemble stuff but after it is cut out. That way I can see how it fits on the actual piece. I agree with Flora to skip embroidering something on the busy fabric. Maybe do a couple rows of ruffles out of the same fabric?

You are very generous to quote only $100 for those outfits. I would have charged more! I agree, a lot of people don't understand the amount of work that goes into making clothes. That's the main reason why I don't sew for my niece and nephew, since their parents don't understand the amount of love and labour that went into each outfit.

I hope you had fun at the Sewing Expo. I would like to attend one some time. I hope the resale will go well. I am sorry that grandma got stuck with a sick kid, but I agree that mama needs a break now and then! I hope that your son will recover quickly.

I think it is easier to work with larger pieces of fabric when I do embrodiery or applique. Depending on the size of the yoke, I may stitch it out first (that also ensures that the embroidery is centered properly). Given what you described for the panties, I would just leave it "plain" since the materials are quite busy already.

I thought $100 was low too. Maybe she was hoping I would say, oh since it is your son's birthday, my gift to you... Even though I met the lady once. ;)

The expo was a lot of fun, and my friend who went with me does not sew, but test drove a big long-arm quilting machine and helped me pick out fabric to make 2 quilts she is commissioning me to make for a cousin and her mom, but also was very intrigued and asked me if I could teach her to sew also. We laughed it was sort of like trick or treating, going from booth to booth filling the bag with (not free unfortunately) fun stuff. I picked up a dozen or so fat quarters of this and that, and some marathon thread since I have heard good things. I also found some fun fabric to make a shirt for my nephew for his birthday next month and some super cheap yardage of finding nemo fabric to have on hand for big gives. :)
Also, I checked out the embroidery machines and talked with the Babylock dealer who was there, since the nearest store is more than an hour away. I found a machine that I WANT AND LOVE AND COVET. And of course they have have a deal for the expo weekend only so time to talk to the boss about upgrading. It's the Spirit, which is 7x12 hoop and 1000 stitches per minute. And the price is high but not unreasonable and actually much lower than I expected. So fingers crossed.

Grandma survived and everyone was feeling better by lunch time, but also took a long nap so hopefully that helps whatever the next bug on the horizon.
I was sort of thinking worst-case scenario because what I have known of this particular person is she is very high-need so I figured prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
I would usually embroider before I assemble stuff but after it is cut out. That way I can see how it fits on the actual piece. I agree with Flora to skip embroidering something on the busy fabric. Maybe do a couple rows of ruffles out of the same fabric?
I thought $100 was low too. Maybe she was hoping I would say, oh since it is your son's birthday, my gift to you... Even though I met the lady once. ;)
The expo was a lot of fun, and my friend who went with me does not sew, but test drove a big long-arm quilting machine and helped me pick out fabric to make 2 quilts she is commissioning me to make for a cousin and her mom, but also was very intrigued and asked me if I could teach her to sew also. We laughed it was sort of like trick or treating, going from booth to booth filling the bag with (not free unfortunately) fun stuff. I picked up a dozen or so fat quarters of this and that, and some marathon thread since I have heard good things. I also found some fun fabric to make a shirt for my nephew for his birthday next month and some super cheap yardage of finding nemo fabric to have on hand for big gives. :)
Also, I checked out the embroidery machines and talked with the Babylock dealer who was there, since the nearest store is more than an hour away. I found a machine that I WANT AND LOVE AND COVET. And of course they have have a deal for the expo weekend only so time to talk to the boss about upgrading. It's the Spirit, which is 7x12 hoop and 1000 stitches per minute. And the price is high but not unreasonable and actually much lower than I expected. So fingers crossed.

I am glad Grandma made it, I'm sure she has been through the sick kid thing in her life and knew just what to do.

I was thinking ruffles just to make it cutesy and I am not too worried about being too busy because it is just for the birthday... well for the most part.

$100 is low for so much work. Was that above and beyond the cost of the fabrics ? I can't wait to see the Nemo fabric. That is what I am cutting today for a dress. It sounds like you had fun at the Expo, wish I could go soon. Good luck with the boss. pixiedust:

I'm with everyone else thinking $100 was low. Pricing is the hardest thing to me. People just don't want to pay for your expertise or time. The good news is, you don't have to sweat the pockets!:goodvibes

For something as small as the yoke on a one year old's dress I would probably stitch it out before cutting it. If the piece is big enough, then I cut it first. But I'm still experimenting. The fabric you describe for the whole outfit sounds so cute and ruffles on the panties would be adorable! Can't wait to see pictures!

Glad Grandma survived. It must have been so nice to get away for a bit. The expo sounds like so much fun! I just passed up going to one nearby last month. I didn't have anyone to go with and I really didn't want to go alone. It's probably just as well for my pocketbook. Sounds like you got a lot of great stuff.:thumbsup2

I sent the lady a price quote last night, and some fabric choices and applique designs for her wish list, and even discounted what I would normally charge (which I think isn't that much for the amt of work and cost of materials.) so for 2 custom embroidered shirts, a bowling shirt (w/ multiple appliqués and licensed fabric I would have to buy because I don't have it on hand) plus the 3-piece safari outfit vest/pants/shirt for $100 for all, and she balked. She decided on just 2 embroidered t-shirts, no bowling shirt, no safari vest.
$100 was very low for all that. I think I would have charged $100 for the three piece safari outfit and the bowling shirt together. I do agree that people think that because you are making something at home, it should be cheaper. They don't understand the fabric cost and the time it takes to make something like that.

My family used to have a craft business and go to a lot of craft fairs and you would hear "Psh - I can make one of those for cheaper." It used to make me annoyed until I realized that all they ever did was SAY "I can make one" and never actually made one.
Yes, I agree that people always say that they could make something but it is just talk.

You can embroider on the yoke after you've cut it out. I also agree that if the fabric is very busy, skip embroidering it. It just won't show up the way you want it to. It sounds like the dress is going to be very, very cute. Can't wait to see a picture.

Glad that everybody is feeling better and that Grandma survived the afternoon with the boys. Also glad that you had a great time at the sewing expo. I've gone with a friend the last couple of years. Her sewing interests are different than mine and I might go alone next time because I'd like to spend more time in places that she isn't interested in at all. I saw the Babylock machine when I was at the expo here. It wasn't really completely on the market yet but they had a demo machine and were giving prices. If they have a Brother dealer there too, check their prices also. They have virtually the same machine but at the Brother stall it was over $1000 less expensive. Also, call around at your local shops because I did that when I came home and found it for even less somewhere else. In the end I decided that I still didn't want to spend that much and bought my used 4000d which I am very happy with. It cost less than 1/2 the price of the Babylock Spirit.

I am glad Grandma made it, I'm sure she has been through the sick kid thing in her life and knew just what to do.

I was thinking ruffles just to make it cutesy and I am not too worried about being too busy because it is just for the birthday... well for the most part.

$100 is low for so much work. Was that above and beyond the cost of the fabrics ? I can't wait to see the Nemo fabric. That is what I am cutting today for a dress. It sounds like you had fun at the Expo, wish I could go soon. Good luck with the boss. pixiedust:

I'm with everyone else thinking $100 was low. Pricing is the hardest thing to me. People just don't want to pay for your expertise or time. The good news is, you don't have to sweat the pockets!:goodvibes

Glad Grandma survived. It must have been so nice to get away for a bit. The expo sounds like so much fun! I just passed up going to one nearby last month. I didn't have anyone to go with and I really didn't want to go alone. It's probably just as well for my pocketbook. Sounds like you got a lot of great stuff.:thumbsup2

$100 was very low for all that. I think I would have charged $100 for the three piece safari outfit and the bowling shirt together. I do agree that people think that because you are making something at home, it should be cheaper. They don't understand the fabric cost and the time it takes to make something like that.

Glad that everybody is feeling better and that Grandma survived the afternoon with the boys. Also glad that you had a great time at the sewing expo. I've gone with a friend the last couple of years. Her sewing interests are different than mine and I might go alone next time because I'd like to spend more time in places that she isn't interested in at all. I saw the Babylock machine when I was at the expo here. It wasn't really completely on the market yet but they had a demo machine and were giving prices. If they have a Brother dealer there too, check their prices also. They have virtually the same machine but at the Brother stall it was over $1000 less expensive. Also, call around at your local shops because I did that when I came home and found it for even less somewhere else. In the end I decided that I still didn't want to spend that much and bought my used 4000d which I am very happy with. It cost less than 1/2 the price of the Babylock Spirit.

I looked at the Brother machines too, and they were more expensive, they are all combo machines that are sewing machines too, and I think the Disney co-branding adds to the cost since they are licensing that Mouse head on the front. I think I might go back briefly on Saturday after my shift at the twins sale, and do a final comparison. My husband surprised me when he agreed to let me get it, as long as I feel like I have done my research and I won't be shopping for another new machine in 6 months (I got my PE770 in August last year and am already trying to replace it.) He also asked why I wouldn't consider a multi-needle machine if I was going to spend the money to upgrade. That was shocking. I just don't think I have the time in my days to use it enough to pay for it, even with my etsy shop. I think I can make enough to pay for the Spirit but since I can only really use it when my kids sleep, and since I also enjoy sleep, I think a mutli-needle expense is just not practical. I think the bigger hoop and faster stitching can easily help grow my small business, but not enough to pay for a machine that costs as much as a small car. ;)

Going to the expo with the friend that I did was great, she doesn't really sew at all but loves the stuff I make so was willing to check out everything. And, like me, loves picking out fabrics. So we had a lot of fun. I definitely think it was worth the $10 admission for an afternoon's entertainment.

While we are on the topic of people not appreciating the cost and effort that goes into handmade, I wrote a little thing on my blog today a story of true appreciation for handmade. I have a friend who asked me to help her make a quilt in February for her beloved Aunt, who was given a terminal diagnosis. The Aunt died yesterday, covered in the quilt my friend made. It has moved me to tears off and on several times. http://just-joshin.com/why-handmade/ She could have bought her aunt a quilt at Wal-Mart. But it wouldn't have even been noteworthy.

Jen

Love all the new things!
I haven't been around much, as last week, my pe770 decided to let its needle fly across the room and break the thread guide. Sigh, I had to take it in for service/repair and it's not even 6 months old. cost me $150 and I still have to pay for the actual parts. (Uber frustrating) My parents are picking it up as I type. It needed a new thread guide and a new bobbin casing. I had it completely serviced too so I'm hoping it stitches better when I get it back. I have to finish those two dresses for V's friend in the next week.

Family issues going on now and I have a new puppy which is making sewing difficult!
DSC_0217_zpscf271da1.jpg

I still haven't decided what to make V for our trip and we head to the states in a few weeks and I have more/different material selection.

I am making a Wishes themed dress. I think the Grace ruffle dress. I'd love to do it in a black fairy frost or something. I want a sparkle to it, without it looking tacky. I'd like to have some bit of sparkle representing the night sky but not overdone. These are the fairy frosts, I can find but I'm not 100% sure on any of them. None are "sparkly" more so shimmer/two toned. Does anyone know of a different material that will give that sparkle that I'm looking for? Another option would be some sort of glitter spray that I could spray the fabric with and use a more solid black?

Anyways, this is what I've found any suggestions?

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=b040ce0a-fe84-4e17-8b25-5a281027fe3e

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=61cce669-409d-4c3c-a7a0-e40a12e8310c (this one seems more silver than black)

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=aeb1eaff-518e-4706-a350-4dfb8e1c0cfe (again more silver than black)

Thanks!
Erin

Nannye - Sorry it's been tough the past few weeks, but that puppy is soooo cute!! Hopefully there's some puppy love to help smooth the process - maybe not the sewing, but the other stuff.

Husbands! I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the whole embroidery thing, with something on the low end, just to see how I take to it. I found an HE1 for a decent starter price and talked with DH. He, after making sure it wouldn't cut too much into savings, said "do what you think is right." It's a little passive/aggressive sure, but he didn't say no. I think he was going to find one for me for Christmas, but our Fridge died. And he keeps calling it a serger, so he may just be confused.

I probably should just wait until I've saved enough for a P770 and/or finished cleaning the Sewing Room. Sigh - just babbling, sorry.

I still haven't decided what to make V for our trip and we head to the states in a few weeks and I have more/different material selection.

I am making a Wishes themed dress. I think the Grace ruffle dress. I'd love to do it in a black fairy frost or something. I want a sparkle to it, without it looking tacky. I'd like to have some bit of sparkle representing the night sky but not overdone. These are the fairy frosts, I can find but I'm not 100% sure on any of them. None are "sparkly" more so shimmer/two toned. Does anyone know of a different material that will give that sparkle that I'm looking for? Another option would be some sort of glitter spray that I could spray the fabric with and use a more solid black?

Thanks!
Erin

I think this would work, it's not black but neither is the sky.

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=fd0db108-9604-49f4-8bb3-23d870f45e1c

Joann's has a great fabric that might work for you.

http://www.joann.com/holiday-inspirations-fabric-fireworks-with-stars-glitter/zprd_02255610a/

I found this in the store but not online....

64FF4384-DD5B-4E97-9D87-3BBD9532E7BD-7249-00000E54C20BAB41_zpsa27a4a83.jpg

See the hidden Mickey's ?

I looked at the Brother machines too, and they were more expensive, they are all combo machines that are sewing machines too, and I think the Disney co-branding adds to the cost since they are licensing that Mouse head on the front. I think I might go back briefly on Saturday after my shift at the twins sale, and do a final comparison. My husband surprised me when he agreed to let me get it, as long as I feel like I have done my research and I won't be shopping for another new machine in 6 months (I got my PE770 in August last year and am already trying to replace it.)
Jen
Brother does have the same machine as the Babylock Spirit. It is called the DreamMaker. Here is a link:
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=VE2200&ref=mega#.UV8WrjeN11Y

I'd double check on the prices now that you know that they do have the embroidery only version of the Brother. When spending that much money, you want to cover all your bases. :thumbsup2 How exciting that you get to buy a new machine!

Sorry to read about your friend's aunt but how special that she had the quilt with her when she passed.

Love all the new things!
I haven't been around much, as last week, my pe770 decided to let its needle fly across the room and break the thread guide. Sigh, I had to take it in for service/repair and it's not even 6 months old. cost me $150 and I still have to pay for the actual parts. (Uber frustrating) My parents are picking it up as I type. It needed a new thread guide and a new bobbin casing. I had it completely serviced too so I'm hoping it stitches better when I get it back. I have to finish those two dresses for V's friend in the next week.

Family issues going on now and I have a new puppy which is making sewing difficult!
DSC_0217_zpscf271da1.jpg

Erin
Sorry about the machine breaking. But glad it could be repaired. I am sure you will be glad to have your machine back.

Your new puppy is adorable! What is his name?

Sorry I can't help with the fairy frost. I haven't ordered much from that line in the past. Maybe somebody else knows more. A Wishes dress sounds great!

Husbands! I'm thinking of dipping my toe into the whole embroidery thing, with something on the low end, just to see how I take to it. I found an HE1 for a decent starter price and talked with DH. He, after making sure it wouldn't cut too much into savings, said "do what you think is right." It's a little passive/aggressive sure, but he didn't say no. I think he was going to find one for me for Christmas, but our Fridge died. And he keeps calling it a serger, so he may just be confused.

I probably should just wait until I've saved enough for a P770 and/or finished cleaning the Sewing Room. Sigh - just babbling, sorry.
I don't know what an HE1 is? What features does it have?

I think this would work, it's not black but neither is the sky.

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=fd0db108-9604-49f4-8bb3-23d870f45e1c

Joann's has a great fabric that might work for you.

http://www.joann.com/holiday-inspirations-fabric-fireworks-with-stars-glitter/zprd_02255610a/

I found this in the store but not online....

64FF4384-DD5B-4E97-9D87-3BBD9532E7BD-7249-00000E54C20BAB41_zpsa27a4a83.jpg

See the hidden Mickey's ?
I love the fireworks fabric with the hidden Mickeys on it. I might have to get some of that.

That puppy is adorable and I love the fireworks fabric with the hidden Mickeys!

I've been trying to find room for an embroidery machine in my budget but it's either that or the Disney trip this year and no way am I giving up my Disney trip. :goodvibes Does anyone know of somewhere I could buy embroidered "patches" on felt to put on the things I'm making for my girls for our trip? I did a search on etsy but didn't turn up much. If you could PM me, that would be fantastic!

Okay, I've done perhaps 30 appliqued t shirts. They are simple, for Disney they are usually mouseheads shapes. I was just doing some this week and I have a problem which is making me nuts. I do the applique setup-cut the shape out of wonder under and iron it on. Then I use fuse and tear stabilizer on the back so it stitches better. My issue is the sewing. I find it really hard to move the tshirt around so I can sew evenly. It seems to me that the stabilizer makes it very hard for me-and my machine-to keep feeding the fabric evenly. I keep stopping and starting, repositioning the fabric. All of that means the lines are slightly wobbly, uneven etc. Any suggestions for getting better results? This is machine applique with a satin stitch, not embroidery mind.
Mary

I like the Michael Miller Fairy Frost Midnight that pyrxtc referred to in her post. I like that it is a dark blue instead of the black.

Let us know what you end up going with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter