Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Hope everyone is enjoying their break from work / school. Everything posted has been so great. Love the aprons made from Grandma's skirts, the robin hood shirts and all the wonderful dresses.

Anita - I hope you daughter enjoys her trip to Korea to see her DH. I'm sure your grandson will be enjoying his time with grandma as much as you enjoy having him around.

Nini - Sorry your DIL does not appreciate all your hardwork. Save your efforts for someone who will enjoy it. Enjoy making some things for the new AG doll at your house.

Have fun with that puppy!

Merry Christmas Everyone! I haven't been on much and haven't had a chance to sew anything since this little guy came into my life two weeks ago.

JacksHomecomingDec102011047-2.jpg
[/IMG]

I can't believe how much time he takes from my day. He is more work than all three of my children combined but we just love him to death!

I am hoping to be able to sew a little in the next few days. I'd like to start filling my empty etsy shop!

Gorgeous! Ours is almost 5 months old now...He is not so cute and cuddly...but he still thinks he is! He thinks he is still the same size as the chihuahua and mini doxie we have! They can now walk under him! LOL!

Thanks for all the understanding with my rant earlier this morning! The bad thing is ...my daughter in law sews as well! She actually makes a good bit of money just making simple pillow case dresses! A year and a half ago she had no idea how to even thread her machine! Now she has bought an expensive super machine from her profits!

I guess the part that bothers me is that she insisted I make the dress (with only a two day notice) after I made it my GD wore it for a half day at school, and who knows where it is now! The fabric she requested on it was a tad bit more expensive than I was planning on spending...and DIL has yet to pay for the fabric. I think she might be upset when she learns I'm NOT giving her the leftovers!

Well, we made two AG dresses...but Miss B has decided they are too hard to dress her in and wants to wait until I get some more velcro ...so I guess my sewing is finished for this month???

Nini

The Grinch is back! Long live the Grinch! LOL!

I love Christmas, but am so glad it is over! I can't wait to get my house back to order...but it won't happen this week. At least not today! Mr D decided to not sleep last night, so he has basically been up since 3 am. His Dad was able to keep him in bed until 3, but he has been in his room playing LOUDLY since 3am...I am thinking that once he crashes around noon, I will be taking a long nap!

Of course Miss B has my day all planned. She got an AG doll for Christmas. I made her a couple of outfits, and I bought a beautiful one from D~; but she has now planned her a complete wardrobe. She is dieing to get down in the studio and get to work! (plus, she has decided we really need to go to the AG store next weekend to see the unveiling of the new doll of the year.)

I was a little upset that the Christmas dress I worked so hard on for my Grand daughter did not get worn. (OK, I'll be honest, I was more than a LITTLE upset!) She is almost on the list of people I will no longer sew for! She will probably be getting an AG doll in the next day or so (I think it is the ONLY thing she didn't get for Christmas! Not that she is spoiled or anything like that!) We were talking about making some dresses, my DIL informed me she had rather buy her the doll dresses than have me make them...so I am guessing she has decided she prefers store bought to home made...which is strange......

Anyway..enough whining! On to plan for a new year!

Nini

Sorry to hear about your DGD and the dress. I have a niece on my "not in a hurry to sew for" list for the same reason. It's really too bad, but I am not going to spend money and energy on something that are not appreciated.

Glad to hear that Miss B has a wardrode planned out!

Merry Christmas Everyone! I haven't been on much and haven't had a chance to sew anything since this little guy came into my life two weeks ago.

th_JacksHomecomingDec102011047-2.jpg

I can't believe how much time he takes from my day. He is more work than all three of my children combined but we just love him to death!

I am hoping to be able to sew a little in the next few days. I'd like to start filling my empty etsy shop!

Awwww, he is a cutie! What is his name?

We dad a great day shopping for Boxing Day deals today (my understanding is that Boxing Day Sales are mostly Canadian - I guess it's our "Black Friday"). DH got the Lego sets he wanted from Toys r us at half price. Frugal Santa stocked up on chocolates for the next few months (chocolate is our weakness, especially at half price!) I got a blouse and a jacket for $20 (I can't even buy the fabric for $20). I also got some mineral-based foundation I've wanting to try. All in all, it was a good day! Surprisingly, I did not buy any fabric today. I didn't see any good specials online so I didn't bother to fight the crowds there. Now I better go and charge up the new batteries that we bought so I can take pictures of my recent creations!

HELP

For Christmas my husband has told me to order the brother embroidery machine (the PE770-this is the recommended one right?). Well I am not sure what else I will need to start. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I have never TOUCHED an embroidery machine and have no idea what I need to get. And if anyone has any tutorials/videos they can direct me to that would be great too. I probably won't order it for a month or so but I am trying to prepare for what I need. Thanks and I hope you all had a great Christmas!

Just wanted to pop on and say hi! I was here about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago before we took our last trip to Disney. I sewed several outfits for my 2 daughters and enjoyed being a part of this thread. We hit a rough patch for a while and haven't been able to go to Disney since. Now things are going much better for us, we've added a baby DS to our family and we are planning a trip in 2 months! Yay! We are going with our best friends who have 2 sons that I will be sewing for too. So 5 kids total x 4 days = 20 outfits! Plus I hand sew only, so sewing is going to be my life for the next 2 months, lol. I started today, spruced up one of my oldest DD's outfits from our last trip for my youngest DD. Almost finished with it, will post a picture when I'm done. I may not be on here a lot, but want to pop on here and there for opinions and inspiration. I've spent much of today gathering ideas and have completed my list of what to make for who. Now I just need to start collecting fabric! :D

HELP

For Christmas my husband has told me to order the brother embroidery machine (the PE770-this is the recommended one right?). Well I am not sure what else I will need to start. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I have never TOUCHED an embroidery machine and have no idea what I need to get. And if anyone has any tutorials/videos they can direct me to that would be great too. I probably won't order it for a month or so but I am trying to prepare for what I need. Thanks and I hope you all had a great Christmas!
Congratulations on getting to order your embroidery machine. You are going to love it! You will need some stabilizers and some embroidery thread to start out. For the stabilizer I'd just go into Joanns with a 40% off coupon and buy some there. I use heavy weight cut away stabilizer on a lot of my stuff. They have the stabilizers where they have the interfacing. Also, they have some stabilizers on the aisle where they have the notions. My store had some of the stabilizer rolls there on clearance for 50% off last week. Then you will need to get some embroidery thread. Everybody seems to have a different thread preference. When I started out, I ordered a lot of thread from Threadart.com. Their prices were very good (about $1.65) for a spool of thread. I've been very happy with the thread I got there. Each spool lasts a long time. The last thing you will need is bobbin thread. You have to use special thread for your bobbins. You can order it from where ever you get your other thread. Just make sure you don't try and use the top thread on the bobbin. Your embroidery won't turn out right.

We dad a great day shopping for Boxing Day deals today (my understanding is that Boxing Day Sales are mostly Canadian - I guess it's our "Black Friday"). DH got the Lego sets he wanted from Toys r us at half price. Frugal Santa stocked up on chocolates for the next few months (chocolate is our weakness, especially at half price!) I got a blouse and a jacket for $20 (I can't even buy the fabric for $20). I also got some mineral-based foundation I've wanting to try. All in all, it was a good day! Surprisingly, I did not buy any fabric today. I didn't see any good specials online so I didn't bother to fight the crowds there. Now I better go and charge up the new batteries that we bought so I can take pictures of my recent creations!
Sounds like you had a very fun shopping day. I avoided the stores yesterday. I had to pop into Joanns for a zipper but that's all I picked up. Most of the stores here put all their leftover wrapping paper and so forth on sale but the 26th isn't as big a shopping day as Black Friday.

Just wanted to pop on and say hi! I was here about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago before we took our last trip to Disney. I sewed several outfits for my 2 daughters and enjoyed being a part of this thread. We hit a rough patch for a while and haven't been able to go to Disney since. Now things are going much better for us, we've added a baby DS to our family and we are planning a trip in 2 months! Yay! We are going with our best friends who have 2 sons that I will be sewing for too. So 5 kids total x 4 days = 20 outfits! Plus I hand sew only, so sewing is going to be my life for the next 2 months, lol. I started today, spruced up one of my oldest DD's outfits from our last trip for my youngest DD. Almost finished with it, will post a picture when I'm done. I may not be on here a lot, but want to pop on here and there for opinions and inspiration. I've spent much of today gathering ideas and have completed my list of what to make for who. Now I just need to start collecting fabric! :D
It sounds like you will be very busy. 20 outfits in two months will keep you working! I am very impressed that you will hand sew everything. Anything I have ever hand sewn seems to fall apart. The only hand sewing I do is buttons. Can't wait to see what you create!

JacksHomecomingDec102011047-2.jpg
[/IMG]

How sweet! My babies are 2.5 years old now and they still are distracting to my sewing!

Well, we made two AG dresses...but Miss B has decided they are too hard to dress her in and wants to wait until I get some more velcro ...so I guess my sewing is finished for this month???

Nini
Which dresses did you make? I just made a Simply Sweet for dd last night but she hasn't tried it on her yet. I hope it's easy to get on and off. I also made a t-shirt (but that has velcro int he back). Our Wally's had velcro in the standard black and white, but they also had blue, red and pink so I bought some of each for doll clothes.

HELP

I order my thread and tear away stabilizer from Marathon. I will only use Floriani medium weight cut away which I get at the local sew-vac store for my cut away b/c it softens well after washing and dd has sensitive skin -- I also want comfy BG recipients so I just stick with it for everything. I also got good scissors for appliques from Joann's (with a coupon of course).

Can't wait to see what you redo and what you create.

Congratulations on getting to order your embroidery machine. You are going to love it! You will need some stabilizers and some embroidery thread to start out. For the stabilizer I'd just go into Joanns with a 40% off coupon and buy some there. I use heavy weight cut away stabilizer on a lot of my stuff. They have the stabilizers where they have the interfacing. Also, they have some stabilizers on the aisle where they have the notions. My store had some of the stabilizer rolls there on clearance for 50% off last week. Then you will need to get some embroidery thread. Everybody seems to have a different thread preference. When I started out, I ordered a lot of thread from Threadart.com. Their prices were very good (about $1.65) for a spool of thread. I've been very happy with the thread I got there. Each spool lasts a long time. The last thing you will need is bobbin thread. You have to use special thread for your bobbins. You can order it from where ever you get your other thread. Just make sure you don't try and use the top thread on the bobbin. Your embroidery won't turn out right.

I started using top thread for my bobbins because I ran out of bobbin thread and the sew vac store didn't have any in stock. I've had no issues whatsoever with it. I still want to get the bobbin thread, but I honestly forgot to look last time I was there so I have been using my method for about three months now!

Gorgeous! Ours is almost 5 months old now...He is not so cute and cuddly...but he still thinks he is! He thinks he is still the same size as the chihuahua and mini doxie we have! They can now walk under him! LOL!

Thanks for all the understanding with my rant earlier this morning! The bad thing is ...my daughter in law sews as well! She actually makes a good bit of money just making simple pillow case dresses! A year and a half ago she had no idea how to even thread her machine! Now she has bought an expensive super machine from her profits!

I guess the part that bothers me is that she insisted I make the dress (with only a two day notice) after I made it my GD wore it for a half day at school, and who knows where it is now! The fabric she requested on it was a tad bit more expensive than I was planning on spending...and DIL has yet to pay for the fabric. I think she might be upset when she learns I'm NOT giving her the leftovers!

Nini

Is your puppy a pet or is your DH training him for work?
I agree completely with your decision to stop sewing for anyone who doesn't appreciate it! I would have been really unhappy if someone asked me to sew something and then didn't even wear it! Especially family!

Awwww, he is a cutie! What is his name?

Thank you. We call him Jack but his paperwork says Captain Jack. Your day of shopping sounds like a lot of fun!

HELP

I like the Rayon thread on Marathonthread.com you can buy a basic set for $99.00.
I also like their stabilizers, you can buy a sampler pack which gives you different types so you can figure out what you like best. You will also want a nice set of pointed small scissors. Youtube is your friend, you will find many videos that will help with applique and embroidery.

20 outfits in 2 months would be a challenge for me but hand sewing, I wouldn't finish them in 20 years! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your creations!

Hi, I'm diser's for a while now, I have been a disney kid my whole life. The 1st time I went was in 1971, I was hooked then and still a disney kid at heart.

I always kidded with DH and told him I wanted to retire at 50. Well with all the moves that we made with my DH company, I was able to retire 2 months before I turned 50.:banana::banana::banana:, So that brings me to my next stage in life. Exciting but scary...

Here is a bit of background on my sewing, my grandmother taught me to embroidery by hand when I was very young. I would sew with her watching over me on her machine, the last thing that I made was the layette for my DD that was 22 years ago. But nothing since then, maybe a button or fix a stuffed animal. Now I want to get back into it again. I am planning on taking a few classes to get me up to back on track, Alot has changed since the last time I made anything. DH surprised me :lovestruc and gave me a sewing machine for christmas, I am so excitied,.

I have a extra bedroom that will become my sewing room, the only other thing in the room is a bed, so I have lots of room.

What can you suggest for me use as work space for my machine? what kind of chair do you prefer? What kind of storage do I need? What are the must have's? Where are your favorite places to shop? any bargain stores?

I have been wanting to do this for so long, and after seeing all the beauitful things that have been made here, I'm even more excitied.

Looking forward to sewing up a storm in 2012.:yay:

Any info suggestion

HELP

I don't have any answers for you, but I am watching what others post - as (someday - I've been saying this for a looooong time) I hope to own an embroidery machine.

Hand sewing??? Wow!!! I can't wait to see what you make! :lovestruc

Hi, I'm diser's for a while now, I have been a disney kid my whole life. The 1st time I went was in 1971, I was hooked then and still a disney kid at heart.

I always kidded with DH and told him I wanted to retire at 50. Well with all the moves that we made with my DH company, I was able to retire 2 months before I turned 50.:banana::banana::banana:, So that brings me to my next stage in life. Exciting but scary...

Here is a bit of background on my sewing, my grandmother taught me to embroidery by hand when I was very young. I would sew with her watching over me on her machine, the last thing that I made was the layette for my DD that was 22 years ago. But nothing since then, maybe a button or fix a stuffed animal. Now I want to get back into it again. I am planning on taking a few classes to get me up to back on track, Alot has changed since the last time I made anything. DH surprised me :lovestruc and gave me a sewing machine for christmas, I am so excitied,.

I have a extra bedroom that will become my sewing room, the only other thing in the room is a bed, so I have lots of room.

What can you suggest for me use as work space for my machine? what kind of chair do you prefer? What kind of storage do I need? What are the must have's? Where are your favorite places to shop? any bargain stores?

I have been wanting to do this for so long, and after seeing all the beauitful things that have been made here, I'm even more excitied.

Any info suggestion

I do have pictures of my sewing room on the internet, somewhere... And if you belong to Facebook, there is a Disboutiquer FB page, where all of us have all of our sewing rooms posted. When DH was building my sewing room... I found a lot of ideas on Flickr.com - there is a sewing room group that has THOUSANDS of pictures... so just go there and do a search - it kept me busy for days. :surfweb:

For my sewing room... I use office chairs. I have one and dd has one. I don't get any back pain from those, like I did when I was sewing on my dining room chairs.

A lot of people recommend using Ikea storage systems for their fabric - I just use a regular shelf, but what ever you choose, I am sure it will be fine.

DH put regular counter tops into my sewing room - and I love them - they work perfectly. He drilled holes intermittantlly, so I could run my cords behind my machines - I really couldn't be more thrilled with my space, and very thankful that I have a space.

Here's one overall view of my space... I don't want to share too many pics, because I've posted them here a few times, and I really need to take some new ones, since I don't use any of these machines anymore (except my serger - rarely)... And my space is VERY small...

IMG_146713.jpg

IMG_146310.jpg

IF you are interested in seeing more detailed photos of my space, I have a post in my PTR devoted to it... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43050928&postcount=592

The thing I recommend the most, is to really tailor your space to fit your needs... Most of the time, I sew small items, so I can get by with a smaller space and cutting area. But I know, for a fact, if I was constantly cutting larger items, my cutting mat and the way it's situated (only accessable from one side) would be an issue. I've been able to adapt though - so that is good. Make it a space that YOU enjoy being in - light and fun colors are always best - it's easier to see... and GOOD LIGHTING is a must. :lovestruc Have fun, and please show us pictures when you are done. :lovestruc

D~

Thanks everyone! I finished the first one today. I just spruced up one of my daughters shirts from our last trip (took it in, added a new strap, new bow for Minnie) and made new pants (don't know what happened to the last ones??)

I wish I had made the pants a little longer, but other than that I'm pleased. Can't make anything else until I get some fabric, so I'll be doing some shopping soon! (If anyone has any Tangled Rapunzel leftover fabric, I'd love to trade or buy some, I can't find it anywhere, I only need about 1/2 yard).

Here are some pics of Joy, she is 4 1/2, this outfit is for Animal Kingdom... :)

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

And here is my oldest DD when she wore it 3 years ago. She was 5. :)

Fullscreencapture12262011114200AMbmp.jpg

I started using top thread for my bobbins because I ran out of bobbin thread and the sew vac store didn't have any in stock. I've had no issues whatsoever with it. I still want to get the bobbin thread, but I honestly forgot to look last time I was there so I have been using my method for about three months now!
That is very interesting. I have only used embroidery thread in my bobbins when I make those little zippered bags. I tried it once when I ran out of bobbin thread and it made a big tangled mess on the bottom. It was on regular embroidery, not applique. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I don't have any answers for you, but I am watching what others post - as (someday - I've been saying this for a looooong time) I hope to own an embroidery machine.

D~
Maybe you can set the embroidery machine as your next goal after you get home from your trip to Disney.

Here is a picture of my sewing room. I know I have posted it before too.
Spring2011BigGiveMtVernonEtsySewingProjects284.jpg

Spring2011BigGiveMtVernonEtsySewingProjects286.jpg

I have good lighting because I have recessed ceiling lights. My sewing machines are on a collection of old kitchen tables. It doesn't look very pretty but it works. We added extra shelves to my closet to hold my supplies and I have a bookcase and old dresser to hold various other things that I need. I put spool racks on the wall to hold my threads. For my chairs, I just use old kitchen chairs. Someday I will get a nice built in counter like D has but my DH is not handy so I'd have to hire somebody to build it for me. Making my sewing room pretty comes behind a whole long list of other home improvements that NEED to get done. But I love having my own space and I love that it is big! The only thing I really need down there is a cutting table. I still bring everything upstairs to use my kitchen island to do my cutting. My island is about 8 feet long so it is a great size for cutting!

Hand sewing??? Wow!!! I can't wait to see what you make! :lovestruc

I do have pictures of my sewing room on the internet, somewhere... And if you belong to Facebook, there is a Disboutiquer FB page, where all of us have all of our sewing rooms posted. When DH was building my sewing room... I found a lot of ideas on Flickr.com - there is a sewing room group that has THOUSANDS of pictures... so just go there and do a search - it kept me busy for days. :surfweb:

For my sewing room... I use office chairs. I have one and dd has one. I don't get any back pain from those, like I did when I was sewing on my dining room chairs.

A lot of people recommend using Ikea storage systems for their fabric - I just use a regular shelf, but what ever you choose, I am sure it will be fine.

DH put regular counter tops into my sewing room - and I love them - they work perfectly. He drilled holes intermittantlly, so I could run my cords behind my machines - I really couldn't be more thrilled with my space, and very thankful that I have a space.

Here's one overall view of my space... I don't want to share too many pics, because I've posted them here a few times, and I really need to take some new ones, since I don't use any of these machines anymore (except my serger - rarely)... And my space is VERY small...

IMG_146713.jpg

IMG_146310.jpg

IF you are interested in seeing more detailed photos of my space, I have a post in my PTR devoted to it... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43050928&postcount=592

The thing I recommend the most, is to really tailor your space to fit your needs... Most of the time, I sew small items, so I can get by with a smaller space and cutting area. But I know, for a fact, if I was constantly cutting larger items, my cutting mat and the way it's situated (only accessable from one side) would be an issue. I've been able to adapt though - so that is good. Make it a space that YOU enjoy being in - light and fun colors are always best - it's easier to see... and GOOD LIGHTING is a must. :lovestruc Have fun, and please show us pictures when you are done. :lovestruc

D~

What a great room, I love it... it's so bright and cheerful, it really got me thinking, I really have some big ideas:eek:, for projects for the up coming year. Once I get a plan for my sewing room I will post some pic's as we go.

My bedroom is going to be my main focus and both guest rooms I want a completely different look one know one else has. I have been looking for a spread or something, curtains, pillows ect..., but I can not find anything that I really like or would ever spend that kind of money on. So this will be my focus. Also my oldest DD is getting married (march 2013), so I might sew some things for the reception... or pillow for the ring. And maybe some special Disney honeymoon outfits for them. We will see.... I think that I will be making a trip to Ikea soon, right after the 1st of the year, we are meeting friends out of town for new years. I can't wait to get started.

Any info suggestion

Hi and :welcome:

Congrats on the new machine!

Definately consider what type of sewing you do. I tend to do a large variety, mostly apparel but also home dec, embroidery, softies, crafts, I also make hair bows.

Until recently I was camped out in the dining room, for Christmas, DH redid the closet in the bonus room, I will be sharing it with the kids playroom. Since my kids are little, they can play with their toys while I work.

This new room has a WALL of shelves with a "desk" space....so I'm working with that....but I have 2 machines and hope to add another soon (so I can sew while I embroider :woohoo:). The desk space will probably only hold 2 at a time, so I will probably have to add a sewing desk for a mechanical (when I find one).

There are 3 things about sewing areas, ok 4. LIGHT, storage, cutting/ ironing, and sewing. try to arrange in a way that makes sense for your space and type of sewing.

We are having the desk laminate recovered next month, I may have to post some pre and post pics as I get everything straightened up. Working on it when my machine goes for service next week, since I wont be sewing (unless its on the serger).

have fun designing your space....I've been sewing over 15 yrs, married for 10, and just got a dedicated space :woohoo:

I love all the sewing rooms. I will be moving the end of May and will have a sewing room. I am on a tiny budget and am not sure what I will be using to put my machines on. I have seen some desks at Ikea that are very cheap....but I don't know how sturdy they are.

My fingers have been working a little better lately and I have made a few things: a shower curtain and curtains for the new room and second bathroom and a simply sweet for my great-niece-to-be (the shower isn't until Feb. but I sew when I can.) It took over a month to get that done--sewing a bit at a time. Right now, I sew in my living/dining room and it is put away for a while. Since I am so slow now, it will be nice to just be able to leave things set up!

Piper... Try this idea for a sewing desk... I just love it, but it won't fit into my space - it's the PERFECT idea though...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewdoi/4304353392/in/pool-363268@N21

This one is waaaay awesome too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shpefman/89436806/in/pool-363268@N21

Here's a simple one... I'd probably add one more shelf under it though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camikamm/2367667912/

This is one of my all time favorite rooms... I used a lot of ideas (and plan to use a lot more ideas) from this room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehappyzombie/1750270284/in/pool-424384@N22/

Those should get you started for ideas... lots of awesome storage ideas in that photo sharing section of Flickr. :)

D~

HELP

Congrats! You may want to read through the manuals online before you get the machine, just so you have a good idea of what you'll need.

Good luck! I can't wait to see your creations!

Thank you. We call him Jack but his paperwork says Captain Jack.

That's a great name for him (except now I have the image of Jack in a pirate outfit!)

Any info suggestion

Congratulations! I don't have much to suggest but I want to say welcome!

Thanks everyone! I finished the first one today. I just spruced up one of my daughters shirts from our last trip (took it in, added a new strap, new bow for Minnie) and made new pants (don't know what happened to the last ones??)

I wish I had made the pants a little longer, but other than that I'm pleased. Can't make anything else until I get some fabric, so I'll be doing some shopping soon! (If anyone has any Tangled Rapunzel leftover fabric, I'd love to trade or buy some, I can't find it anywhere, I only need about 1/2 yard).

Here are some pics of Joy, she is 4 1/2, this outfit is for Animal Kingdom... :)

th_IMG_0566.jpg

Great outfit!

Here is a picture of my sewing room. I know I have posted it before too.
th_Spring2011BigGiveMtVernonEtsySewingProjects284.jpg

Hey! I have the same chairs!

I love all the sewing rooms. I will be moving the end of May and will have a sewing room. I am on a tiny budget and am not sure what I will be using to put my machines on. I have seen some desks at Ikea that are very cheap....but I don't know how sturdy they are.

My fingers have been working a little better lately and I have made a few things: a shower curtain and curtains for the new room and second bathroom and a simply sweet for my great-niece-to-be (the shower isn't until Feb. but I sew when I can.) It took over a month to get that done--sewing a bit at a time. Right now, I sew in my living/dining room and it is put away for a while. Since I am so slow now, it will be nice to just be able to leave things set up!

Glad to hear that you are doing better. I use an Ikea dining room table from a garage sale as my sewing desk. It seems to hold up pretty well.

PLEASE PLEASE COME CHECK OUT THE NEW GIVE!!!!!!! Such a sweet little boy, Devon, who is 8 yo!!!! He also has a 7yo little sister!!! Please help us make this a special trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Piper... Try this idea for a sewing desk... I just love it, but it won't fit into my space - it's the PERFECT idea though...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewdoi/4304353392/in/pool-363268@N21

This one is waaaay awesome too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shpefman/89436806/in/pool-363268@N21

Here's a simple one... I'd probably add one more shelf under it though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camikamm/2367667912/

This is one of my all time favorite rooms... I used a lot of ideas (and plan to use a lot more ideas) from this room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehappyzombie/1750270284/in/pool-424384@N22/

Those should get you started for ideas... lots of awesome storage ideas in that photo sharing section of Flickr. :)

D~

I love these! Thanks D~ I am talking really, really budget. I will probably check out some thrift stores and see what I can find. The desks at Ikea are only $19 each! www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79831622/ I have about $200 (if I am lucky and don't have any big expenses before then) to do the whole room. That includes a sleep sofa or futon, sewing surface for 2 machines and hopefully a cutting table. Optimistic? Yep, but I am hoping that when people take advantage of the January furniture sales and redecorate, I will find some bargains!

I love this one and it would fit 2 machines, but that doesn't leave much for the other stuff: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99874111/#/S89865635

I have both a white book case and a black one, so storage is covered (plus there is a walk in closet in that room.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter