Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I am not sure if this will be seen since this is such a busy thread but I am hoping someone can help me. I just did my first applique last night with my regular machine and after that I am now interested in embroidery machines. Can someone give me a suggestion for one (or some) that are beginning friendly and not going to put me in the poor house. Also, if you could share where you all get your files from to embroider onto the clothing (all the disney related things)? Thanks!

I am not sure if this will be seen since this is such a busy thread but I am hoping someone can help me. I just did my first applique last night with my regular machine and after that I am now interested in embroidery machines. Can someone give me a suggestion for one (or some) that are beginning friendly and not going to put me in the poor house. Also, if you could share where you all get your files from to embroider onto the clothing (all the disney related things)? Thanks!

I can only speak for myself... I got the Brother PE770 from HSN...when it had free shipping and used a 15% off coupon and got 6 payments...THAT is the ONLY way I could have afforded it!

It is a great machine, a real workhorse! Very user friendly and I did my first Mickey head in only a few minutes from taking it out of the box!

I have a favorite designer for all things Disney...none other than our own Heather Sue! It was actually her designs that made me want an embroidery machine to start with!

Nini

I just got back and now have pictures of my twins in their outfits that were inspired by the many wonderful people here.

here is Minnie pillowcase dress with matching bow and retro Mickey.

th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23726PM.png
th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23654PM.png

and his Donald hat that was a hit!

th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23623PM.png

Great pictures!!! Your tiwns are adorable!!!

I love my PE 770 too!! I bought mine from Overstock. They have it for $627, and I think there is a coupon or two floating around out there. Shipping is really cheep, like $3. You can go through Ebates too for some extra money (although if you use a coupon that Ebates doesn't have listed, they can void your rebate). On Overstock, you can pay with Bill Me Later and you have 6 months to pay, interest free, that's what I did. Here's a link: http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Brother-PE770-Embroidery-Machine/5301560/product.html

I had trouble with the first machine I got from Overstock, but I contacted customer service (online) and a few days later I had a new machine and a label to send the other one back. I was really impressed with the service at Overstock and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Heather has the best designs around! http://www.froufroubyheathersue.com

You can download them instantly after you buy them, you don't need to wait for her to send them (unless they are personalized of course). She's also one sweet person :thumbsup2 (I should know, I've known her for almost 37 years)

My computer is BACK FROM THE SPA!!!! WooHoo:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Of course, now that I can multi-quote again, I got so used to NOT quoting that I forgot this time :headache:

I sat down and "mapped out" my sewing for Disney. I just wanted to pop on here and then I'm off to pull out the actual fabrics and iron everything so that I can cut tomorrow after work.

I also have to cut out and sew Finn's Halloween costume. . .

But just wanted to pop over and say Hi :wave2:

So I just went through all of Heather's designs (I didn't find what I was looking for)....I'm looking for a Nerd Goofy....any idea if there is one and who has it?

Thanks!!!

Jennifer

I used silver on dark gray, almost black, once and it looked awesome but after about 3 washings it disappeared. This was a sharpie though and not a fabric marker. I have used black sharpie on white more then once without an issue.

I am going to throw my two cents in here though and probably not a popular opinion but I don't think I would ever spend the time putting together a quilt with the signatures using any type of markers. I would want them embroidered on. Kind of kills the fun of collecting them but a quilt is a huge time investment.

My mother made me an autograph quilt when I was in high school. It wasn't Disney - it was my friends and family. They signed it with markers and then she chain stitched over all their signatures. It was a lot of work on her part but it is highly treasured by me. I have the actual signatures of teachers, friends, and family - some of who are no longer with us. I also wouldn't create a quilt with just the markers as they tend to fade over time.

My mother made me an autograph quilt when I was in high school. It wasn't Disney - it was my friends and family. They signed it with markers and then she chain stitched over all their signatures. It was a lot of work on her part but it is highly treasured by me. I have the actual signatures of teachers, friends, and family - some of who are no longer with us. I also wouldn't create a quilt with just the markers as they tend to fade over time.

Vicki, that is so sweet! What a wonderful thing for your Mom to do!

Lucky for him, Brian does not remember this quilt. ;)

This afternoon I started sewing the Minnie Mouse dress for my oldest granddaughter. Actually spent more time trying to figure out why the bobbin kept hopping around and the thread was breaking off. :confused3 Of course it would happen while I'm trying to embroidery around Minnie's head that I decided to put on the front of the dress. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a picture by the end of the week...we'll see.
Just caught up by looking at the last 6 pages...very cute outfits and projects.

So I just went through all of Heather's designs (I didn't find what I was looking for)....I'm looking for a Nerd Goofy....any idea if there is one and who has it?

Thanks!!!

Jennifer

I know Heather has been contemplating doing the Nerds, but I'm not sure who has them out right now.

here's a picture of my sweet dgd Chloe in her Carrie Ingalls halloween dress...i took it to work/school and tried it on her and took a picture and let her show it off to the other teachers,while we were in my dd's class { Chloe's in pre-k 1,Brendi in pk2 and me down the hall in pk3!] a lil girl said " she looks like a sheep!" we were like 'what?' then our 4 year old brain kicked inand we said " Little Bo Peep!"hehe..kids...[/
302356_10150323887171586_555471585_8317991_575615357_n.jpg

i spent 3 hours cutting out the twins dresses & bonnets! man oh man my shoulders hurt! check out the untied shoe,i had rolled her jeans up under the dress...

NiniMorris Sharpies are only permanent when you don't want them to be. Sharpies are designed to be permanent on non porous surfaces. Fabric is a porous surface. Fabric markers are made to work on fabric. Using the freezer paper on the back of the fabric acts as a sort of stabilizer. When used in conjunction with a clipboard the characters have no problem Nini[/QUOTE said:
What brand Fabric Markers do you use and how long/high do you iron on freezer paper?

I am so sorry and frustrated, girls; I just spent 20 minutes doing an awesome multiquote and it's GONE! Anyway, I absolutely love everything- all the park outfits are amazing, and AG outfits are adorable, and the Christmas big give is incredible!

I know Wendy asked to see DD's small Avilo messenger modelled, so here it is-

th_IMG_5226.jpg

I also made her a christmas crayon roll up to match the eye spy bag- could not believe how easy it was! Used pickle pie designs in the hoop from SWAK- highly recommend.
Looks to be the perfect size! And love your iron balusters! I would so love those on our front staircase, but I think we have about 100 posts and that would get very pricey!

Here are pictures from my contribution in the last few Big Gives. I did a few simple things for Gives as they were around the time I was recovering from my sickness this summer. I am glad I was able to pitch in as much as possible.

Hats for 2 girls from Canada:
th_BrookesGiveHatsOutside.jpg

th_BrookesGiveHatsInside.jpg

An AK dress:
th_GabriellasDress.jpg

A jewellery roll:
th_KatelynsJewelleryRoll.jpg

Another set of jewellery rolls:
th_LisasGiveJewelleryRolls.jpg

th_LisasGiveJewelleryRoll1.jpg

Now that I am mostly recovered, I am looking forward to doing a few more things for the Gives.
Awesome as usual! I am glad you are doing much better now. It was very generous to still contribute to the gives while you were recovering. However, I saw the latest that you posted on the BG board and I'm so happy you are back in full swing b/c your work is outstanding.

CAnt quote (no computer but I do have the iPad)... Loving everything!

Still haven't been able to start sewing for our trip (yes, the one in my ticker, yes, I know I'm in trouble) :scared1: DH has been working so much and I've been dealing with so many upsetting things in friends lives, and add to that I feel like I'm carsick 75% of the time (and no, not pregnant)... I don't know how to get it all done...

Ok! Pity party for 1, your table is ready for you to wake up and get on with it...

Let's see, how many outfits?
Day 1: 2 outfits each boy, 1 "me made" outfit= 5
Day 2: 2 outfits for the three of us= 6
Day 3: 2 outfits for each IF we do MVMCP, 1 each if not, but to be safe= 6
Day 4: 1 outfit each = 3
Day 5: 2 outfits each = 6
Day 6: 1 outfit each unless I come up with something for Garden Grill = 3
Day 7: 1 outfit each = 3
Grand Total = 32 ( if I did my math correctly ) :rolleyes1
Breathe. And I thought I had it bad in the next two weeks, but it looks like you are doomed for two months! Don't overdo it though -- I took outfits with us that my kids never got a chance to wear. I was actually most fortunate that my dh was gone for two months so I was able to do very late night sewing before our trip (when he's home I dare not stay up late and sew!). So take advantage of your dh not being around in this case -- of course I know that does nothing for help with the house and child care, etc.

I am sorry you are dealing with stresses with happenings in your friend's lives. It's important to remember you can't control what is going on and friends often just need the support of a listening ear. Sad though when those you care about are having troubles and I am the same way -- I let things weigh on me. I even get that way with BG families that I don't even know. I'm stressed right now thinking about Lisa being sick right before her trip.

And I'm super sorry you are feeling car sick -- maybe it's just the extra stress you've been enduring. Any chance you could get away for a little "me" time? Even if me time means just going shopping by yourself or for a long walk by yourself for an hour or two? My saving grace is the time I have when the kids are in school and I know with home schooling you just don't have that time alone. :hug:

i did this tee and dress for my dgc Jackson & Avery...due to family issues { their mom is nuts :sad2:} we haven't seen them since Easter...but i still made them Disney customs { they were suppossed to go the same week we did but at different resort ,no idea if they went}.got them school clothes andJackson b'day gifts,all packed up in case i ever get to give them to them...i have recently discoiverd they moved and on oh my route to/from work! so i may box up all ther things i have and drop them on the driveway while she's gone to take the kids to school...or something...i miss my g'babies so badly they are 6 & 4,saw Avery the other day withher mom who was trying to get past me as fast as she could,Avery peekd at me around her mom,then ducked back like she was afraid...no telling what she has been told..i just wanna grab them up and love on them!:sad1: anyway i made them these for the fall...i fear she may just throw them all away but that's on her....anyway here they are...
308471_10150322837771586_555471585_8311741_484568057_n.jpg

thank you for looking
So cute! Adore the applique!

I just got back and now have pictures of my twins in their outfits that were inspired by the many wonderful people here.

here is Minnie pillowcase dress with matching bow and retro Mickey.

th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23726PM.png
th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23654PM.png

and his Donald hat that was a hit!

th_Screenshot2011-10-10at23623PM.png
Truly awesome! Your children are adorable :)

I agree with Teresa. I recommend something that has a 5x7 hoop and the Brother PE 770 is just that at a decent price. When I bought mine Overstock only had refurbished ones so be careful of that -- I do not recommend getting something refurbished. My dh bought mine from Amazon and I know it was less that $650. I absolutely LOVE my machine and am so sorry I didn't get it sooner. I was terrified of it at first, and it turns out to be a breeze to use. I asked a lot of questions here when I first got mine and everyone helped me immensely.

here's a picture of my sweet dgd Chloe in her Carrie Ingalls halloween dress...i took it to work/school and tried it on her and took a picture and let her show it off to the other teachers,while we were in my dd's class { Chloe's in pre-k 1,Brendi in pk2 and me down the hall in pk3!] a lil girl said " she looks like a sheep!" we were like 'what?' then our 4 year old brain kicked inand we said " Little Bo Peep!"hehe..kids...[/

i spent 3 hours cutting out the twins dresses & bonnets! man oh man my shoulders hurt! check out the untied shoe,i had rolled her jeans up under the dress...

Looks adorable on!

QUESTION??????
I had to buy costume satin for the kids Halloween costumes this year and I'm terrified of it. First, I forgot to look at washing instructions -- am I safe just washing on a hand washing cycle and light tumble dry? I'd love to not wash it, but dd has very sensitive skin and I hate all the crap in dyes and get grossed out not prewashing things.

Second, will serging after sewing hold it together fine or do I need to do french seams? I would prefer to sew and serge, but I'm not interested in the fabric coming undone either.

And I would like to inform you all that my Joann's does NOT have the flag ornament fabric. I was actually looking for something for a BG and that would have worked. Now hoping Wally world has something that Joann's and Hancock's does not.

QUESTION??????
I had to buy costume satin for the kids Halloween costumes this year and I'm terrified of it. First, I forgot to look at washing instructions -- am I safe just washing on a hand washing cycle and light tumble dry? I'd love to not wash it, but dd has very sensitive skin and I hate all the crap in dyes and get grossed out not prewashing things.

Second, will serging after sewing hold it together fine or do I need to do french seams? I would prefer to sew and serge, but I'm not interested in the fabric coming undone either.

And I would like to inform you all that my Joann's does NOT have the flag ornament fabric. I was actually looking for something for a BG and that would have worked. Now hoping Wally world has something that Joann's and Hancock's does not.

I used costume satin for my DGD's belle dress. I have washed it at least by hand. I think it said it is washable and machine dry, but I guess I didn't want to push my luck after sewing. I honestly can't remember if I pre-washed it though. After a day of wearing it it had black marks on it from the pavement, so I hand washed it and hung to dry and it was fine.

Also, I sewed and then serged the seams and have not had any problems. She wore the dress all day at Magic Kingdom and it held up fine. It hasn't had a lot of use since then though. Which reminds me, I need to give it to my daughter in law, it isn't really doing me any good hanging in the closet here. But I have trouble giving it up, because I will likely never see it again if I give it to her.

I used costume satin for my DGD's belle dress. I have washed it at least by hand. I think it said it is washable and machine dry, but I guess I didn't want to push my luck after sewing. I honestly can't remember if I pre-washed it though. After a day of wearing it it had black marks on it from the pavement, so I hand washed it and hung to dry and it was fine.

Also, I sewed and then serged the seams and have not had any problems. She wore the dress all day at Magic Kingdom and it held up fine. It hasn't had a lot of use since then though. Which reminds me, I need to give it to my daughter in law, it isn't really doing me any good hanging in the closet here. But I have trouble giving it up, because I will likely never see it again if I give it to her.

Thanks Ellen! I looked up the fabric on Joann's web site and it said hand wash / line dry. I will put in it the machine on a hand wash cycle and toss it in the dryer on the air cycle. I also read it's good to serge edges first and then sew so I will experiment a little and see if that works better. My other option is not to wash at all b/c the kids will probably wear thermals under the costumes anyway. Hard to say though as Halloween weather is so unpredictable here. All I remember last year is dd complaining how hot she was in her fleece dolphin costume! I am not looking for perfection either as these are just Halloween costumes. DH will be my worst critic though b/c these are Sgt. Pepper's outfits and he wants them to be perfect replicas. He's already voiced his opinion that I didn't get the right color satin for the trim on George's and the red is off -- Hancock's had a better red but didn't have enough fabric. (I am only making two -- George and John as selected by the kids).

It is ashamed to have the Belle dress stashed in your closet. Is it something your dgd would want to wear for Halloween? You will have to admire your handiwork via photos. I know there are a couple of thing I made my dd though that I can never give up.

I started with a Brother 270 but I quickly found that the 4x4 field was too small. I upgraded to a Babylock Ellageo 3, which I bought second hand. I LOVE my Ellageo!!! I get lots of designs from FrouFrou by Heathersue. There are a few other designs that I like too but Heathersue's are the best.

What a cutie pie! The costume looks perfect on her!

Thanks!!!

Jennifer

I have not seen Nerds for sale anywhere. I wish Heather would do them because I would be all over them LOL.

Okay I need to get busy sewing another weekend I did none and the clock is ticking.

Hi everyone!

Just back from 6 amazing days at WDW and I'm hopelessly behind. We surprised my kids at 3:30 in the morning and they were SO excited. The weather was amazing save for the last day when it poured on & off (and had extended periods of sunshine as well.) I even had a chance to meet a Disboutiquer in line for IASW! WeLuvDizne recognized the outfit my DD was wearing and introduced herself...it was so sweet. She and her family were lovely and it was a pleasure meeting her.

WTMTQ but I am loving all the new outfits posted. Just wanted to show you a few of the customs in action....we got so many compliments from CMs, characters, and guests! The kids loved the attention!

Picture overload ahead...

Day 1: Magic Kingdom
301023_10150318057236156_529706155_8674774_2072104244_n.jpg

313147_10150318057466156_529706155_8674775_1619871006_n.jpg

Day 2: Epcot
299010_10150318060511156_529706155_8674805_1305938091_n.jpg

319962_10150318060801156_529706155_8674807_1577527556_n.jpg

303978_10150318059306156_529706155_8674790_361638707_n.jpg

Day 3: Hollywood Studios
293677_10150318062351156_529706155_8674826_902703057_n.jpg

302209_10150318062691156_529706155_8674828_1613554083_n.jpg

Day 4: Epcot
313437_10150318064151156_529706155_8674839_1275245099_n.jpg

306369_10150318064331156_529706155_8674840_518068153_n.jpg

Day 6: Ohana & MNSSHP
300925_10150318065991156_529706155_8674850_1041549368_n.jpg

313566_10150318068111156_529706155_8674879_879547610_n.jpg

320834_10150318067771156_529706155_8674876_2096307410_n.jpg

Day 7: Magic Kingdom
312783_10150318069846156_529706155_8674893_1861496643_n.jpg

Howdy all! We got back last Thurs. from our 9 day trip. We had a blast. The weather was perfect and no one got sick. It was more crowded than normal. I didn't see too many customs, in fact, I didn't see many people in Disney clothes period. I thought that was odd. I ran into 2 ladies from the board and my husband talked to someone else. That was fun!

Lots of pictures are coming so I will probably do two posts.

Day One: MK and Chef Mickey
IMG_8515.jpg

Day Two: Epcot. We did the Visa thing and had a great time. Minnie loved the outfits so she did several poses with the kids. Her with the girls and the boys with Goofy.
IMG_8543.jpg

Day three: MK DD2 was thrilled to see the Pooh characters at CP.
IMG_8660.jpg

Day Four: Animal Kingdom Minnie was so excited about the outfits, she gave me a kiss and had me get in a picture :)
IMG_8885.jpg

Day Five: 1900 PF and HS
IMG_8997.jpg

Day Six: HS Buzz pouted because we did not have anything with him on. It was cute.
IMG_9171.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Here is the rest...

Day Seven: MK We ate at Ohana that night so I didn't get good group shots.
IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

Day eight: Epcot These outfits got alot of attention. They do scream Disney :)
IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg

Day Nine: MK and 1900 Park Fare
IMG_9435.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

The girls got to dance with Cinderella and Prince Charming at 1900 Park Fare!
IMG_9517.jpg

We had a great time and I booked for next year with the bounceback offer. My parents are coming next year so the kids are excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter