Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

hello Ladies and Tom!

I feel like it's been forever since I visited. I've been peeking in now and then, but not for any length of time. I see lots of new friends have been here... yay!

I actually have a purpose in being here.
In one of my "what were you thinking?!" moments, I convinced my 19yo son and his flavor of the month to dress as Rapunzel and Flynn for Halloween. We do "trunk or treat" at church - he's going to make the back of his trunk look like the bottom of the tower. It will be cute. He has quite the smolder :-)

Anyway, now I have to make Flynn Ryders vest/tunic/whatever. I hate to think of making my own pattern. Any ideas?

after a marathon day of sewing i have finished Chloe's Carrie Ingalls halloween costume...and it can be worn to church too! :cool1:
1st time using this pattern,Butterick B4054...my arms,neck and back are killing me! but i am happy with how it turned out! next up will be Kensleigh /Mary and Gracie/Laura Ingalls dresses...

dress & pinafore
305306_10150321673701586_555471585_8303398_366856387_n.jpg

bress/pinafore & bonnett...
305306_10150321673601586_555471585_8303396_153598728_n.jpg

thank you for:yay: looking

That remark about your father is so funny...and so true at our house. My husband was literally a drill sgt. For 4 years!

Then, when he was no longer a drill sgt, he worked in a R&D of new weapons so he traveled A LOT! For 6 months, he was only home on weekends. I can count the number of weeks where he spent the whole week home on one hand. Then the first Gulf War broke out and all that changed...

Anyway, Disney is his release place. He literally becomes a kid again. It is like watching a whole different person. (and while he claims to be a Disney hater, he was the first one to ask when we were coming back!)

The chance to see him like that is why my oldest daughter decided to come with us this trip. She has no memories of her dad (while growing up ) of him having fun. She actually told me she is jealous of all the time he spends with our two youngest.

Anyway, Disney is where we go to reconnect as a family.

Nini

Love all your photos. Great to see the customs in action.

It is so funny my DH is a whole different person at Disney. We met people he knew from work last time and they couldn't believe how big of a Disney addict he was.

Looks like a great trip! The outfits all look so cute! I have been at Disney twice with the in-laws so I completely understand your comments about having them there. My in-laws were a huge help and we love them dearly but they are not Disney nuts like us! Also, your comment about your dad sounds a lot like my DH. My Dh is normally quite introverted but at Disney he turns into a big kid. It is where we have the most family fun!

This is fascinating that so many of you have a similar experience with a reserved (or worse) man who comes to life at Disney!

Nini - your dh sounds very much like my dad! Our Disney vacations are some of my best memories with him. I know he loves us, but he just cannot show it in most situations. Disney definitely brings out his best!

The bummer is that we also invited my parents to come along, either on the same days or staggered with my in-laws. I was looking forward to seeing my dad in his happy place. :) My mom just could not feel any peace about picking dates and booking, so they decided not to go. It turns out she was right because my brother tore a pectoral muscle a few days before our trip and had to have surgery to repair it. My mom was at his house to help with his 4 kids and then she brought the kids back to her house for a week while we were gone. She would have been miserable at Disney with that going on!

Purple Ears - Although I'm very new to embroidery, I've been very happy with the thread and stabilizer I bought from Marathon. I especially love the 8x8 tear-away diecuts that are perfect for hooping in a 4x4. Next time I'm going to buy larger ones for the 5x7 hoop, too!

Andrea and dianemom - I'm so sorry you're both on a trip freeze! The real estate market (and everything else) are beyond frustrating! We'd really like to move closer to my in-laws and our church (about 45 minutes away), but there is no way we can sell our house. Prices have dropped at least 40% here since we bought 7 years ago. :sick: My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

Regards,
C.

after a marathon day of sewing i have finished Chloe's Carrie Ingalls halloween costume...and it can be worn to church too! :cool1:
1st time using this pattern,Butterick B4054...my arms,neck and back are killing me! but i am happy with how it turned out! next up will be Kensleigh /Mary and Gracie/Laura Ingalls dresses...

dress & pinafore

Love it! So pretty! I can't wait to see the rest! (I'm very partial to Carrie Ingalls since my name comes from the books! :goodvibes)

Regards,
C.

dress & pinafore

Very cute. It reminds me of one that my mom made for my sister when we were little.

That remark about your father is so funny...and so true at our house. My husband was literally a drill sgt. For 4 years!

Then, when he was no longer a drill sgt, he worked in a R&D of new weapons so he traveled A LOT! For 6 months, he was only home on weekends. I can count the number of weeks where he spent the whole week home on one hand. Then the first Gulf War broke out and all that changed...

Anyway, Disney is his release place. He literally becomes a kid again. It is like watching a whole different person. (and while he claims to be a Disney hater, he was the first one to ask when we were coming back!)

The chance to see him like that is why my oldest daughter decided to come with us this trip. She has no memories of her dad (while growing up ) of him having fun. She actually told me she is jealous of all the time he spends with our two youngest.

Anyway, Disney is where we go to reconnect as a family.

I know you are in GA... the description of the various nationalities of your kids make me think you are in the Clayton County area...how close am I? I know the Forest Park/Lake City area has a large Viet Namese population. Just wondering.

We are heavy into the planning of our next Disney trip...which is not until next Sept officially. (although I am still considering a quick 2 or 3 day trip in Jan/Feb). Funny listening to everyone giving me their ideas on food, shirts, and rides. The strangest part is my DD11 told me not to ever let her go to CRT again without a DRESS! She was so adamant about NOT having a dress for this trip. She is actually planning 3 dresses...I should get the finalized plans in about a month. She has already been 'shopping' for fabric!

Nini
I'm in north ga...Gainesville!

Love it! So pretty! I can't wait to see the rest! (I'm very partial to Carrie Ingalls since my name comes from the books! :goodvibes)

Regards,
C.
so cool you are named for the books! as you can see in my signature all my dgd's names end in the 'e' sound...i have a dgAngel named Caroline and i just know if she had lived she would of been our Carrie! I love the name!!! dd who had ectopic/ miscarriage ,is hoping to get pregnant again so we will be on the lookout for more 'e' ending names! the boys are Blaze & Jackson/Jack so a boy name will be easy!

after a marathon day of sewing i have finished Chloe's Carrie Ingalls halloween costume...and it can be worn to church too! 1st time using this pattern,Butterick B4054...my arms,neck and back are killing me! but i am happy with how it turned out! next up will be Kensleigh /Mary and Gracie/Laura Ingalls dresses...

dress & pinafore

Very cute. Can't wait to see the rest.

IMG_1287.jpg

DD and I
IMG_1322.jpg

C.

You guys look great.

They are adorable, and you did a great job on the stuff for them.

I think I ended up with someone elses quote of your pictures Sally, but it doesn't matter I guess. Just wanted to say that everything looks great, and the esmeralda is my Fav.

PA050370.jpg

She is complaining bitterly that I need to take it in on the top. I think she'd like it to fit her like a second skin!:laughing:

Good job mom! I still haven't started on my DS's costume. He wants to be Yoshi.

Awesome Fairy series, and cool outfit for the Give.

Everything is great. Love the Christmas skirts.

I don't think I posted the Pluto skirt I made for Judy for Lisa's big give. They are planning on dressing as a 50's couple for MNSSHP.

100_5043.jpg

Aww, too cute.

hello Ladies and Tom!

I feel like it's been forever since I visited. I've been peeking in now and then, but not for any length of time. I see lots of new friends have been here... yay!

I actually have a purpose in being here.
In one of my "what were you thinking?!" moments, I convinced my 19yo son and his flavor of the month to dress as Rapunzel and Flynn for Halloween. We do "trunk or treat" at church - he's going to make the back of his trunk look like the bottom of the tower. It will be cute. He has quite the smolder :-)

Anyway, now I have to make Flynn Ryders vest/tunic/whatever. I hate to think of making my own pattern. Any ideas?

Carla C has a vest pattern - but it is kid sized. Maybe you can increase the size? If not there are loads of patterns at Joanns if you sit and look through the books and go through the drawers, if you have time you can try that. I saw some pirate ones there recently that can be modified since they had tunics and vests.

I'll join in your pity party. We can't go anywhere until our RI house sells. It just went back on the market, much to our tenants dismay. Our tenants have been in there one year longer than originally planned now and we are losing so much money with them there (though obviously not as much as we would be with the place empty). And I had really wanted to get started on selling on etsy in Sept to start funding the BGs I keep doing, but I've had no time and this month is worse than last month. So as you can see, we can pity party together.

In the Rapunzel pics the younger has a vida on and the older girl appears to be wearing a knot dress with an apron attached. The one with the strip work skirt might be a made up pattern.

I agree that the younger one looks like a vida in the Rapunzel pictures. I can't identify any of the other patterns.

Andrea- I hope your house sells very soon. With us, my husbands old business went under during the worst of the recession. He's been working really hard to start up something new. We're just beginning to see it start to work out so I am starting to feel hopeful. However, we've really been digging into our saving during this start up time. I am ready for things to feel secure again!

dress & pinafore

That is super adorable. My girls were both Laura a few years ago and they looked so cute in their costumes. Your little granddaughters are going to look adorable in their costumes! What did you make the pinafore out of? It has some really pretty cut work on it.

This is fascinating that so many of you have a similar experience with a reserved (or worse) man who comes to life at Disney!

Nini - your dh sounds very much like my dad! Our Disney vacations are some of my best memories with him. I know he loves us, but he just cannot show it in most situations. Disney definitely brings out his best!

The bummer is that we also invited my parents to come along, either on the same days or staggered with my in-laws. I was looking forward to seeing my dad in his happy place. :) My mom just could not feel any peace about picking dates and booking, so they decided not to go. It turns out she was right because my brother tore a pectoral muscle a few days before our trip and had to have surgery to repair it. My mom was at his house to help with his 4 kids and then she brought the kids back to her house for a week while we were gone. She would have been miserable at Disney with that going on!

Andrea and dianemom - I'm so sorry you're both on a trip freeze! The real estate market (and everything else) are beyond frustrating! We'd really like to move closer to my in-laws and our church (about 45 minutes away), but there is no way we can sell our house. Prices have dropped at least 40% here since we bought 7 years ago. :sick: My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

Regards,
C.
It sounds like your mom had those mommy instincts that told her this wasn't the time to go to disney. She's a smart woman to have listened to them. I am sure that she was a huge help to your brother's family.

I definitely feel your pain about the housing situation. Our house has dropped by a third since we bought it. Luckily we are not underwater with it yet. Hopefully things will start turning around soon. There are so many people who would love to move but just can't yet.

Good job mom! I still haven't started on my DS's costume. He wants to be Yoshi.

I only have girls so I've never had to make anything like a Yoshi!

I am exhausted. Just finished cleaning up from having 35 people, both friends and family, here for break the fast tonight. I have a little more to still clean tomorrow but the house is mostly put back together. Everybody seemed to have a good time and the food all turned out great. Of course, after fasting all day it only needs to be half decent for everybody to gobble it up!:rotfl2:

dress & pinafore

Cute Little House Costume.

Diane I hope you had a good fast.

My house is so clean from having the inlaws over so tomorrow I am planning on doing some sewing since DH is on vacation.

dress & pinafore

I LOVE it! Absolutely adorable! Seeing this brings back such good memories of my childhood. My sister and I played Little House all the time.

Regards,
C.
My man is worse at Disney -- so wish he would come to life there but no such luck.

We will take a killing on our our house in RI. We will likely end up selling it for $100K less than we paid for it, plus we put at least $30K into it -- completely finished the basement and did a lot of outside work to the house. I just hope it sells!

Andrea- I hope your house sells very soon. With us, my husbands old business went under during the worst of the recession. He's been working really hard to start up something new. We're just beginning to see it start to work out so I am starting to feel hopeful. However, we've really been digging into our saving during this start up time. I am ready for things to feel secure again!

I definitely feel your pain about the housing situation. Our house has dropped by a third since we bought it. Luckily we are not underwater with it yet. Hopefully things will start turning around soon. There are so many people who would love to move but just can't yet.
I'm so sad your dh's business went under but glad you are starting to see something from the new endeavor. Our savings is minimal right now. We even had to draw from my ds's college savings when we first moved to RI and had our house here unrented. Thankfully dh has a good job (military) and we are in good shape with our house here. Our house in RI has dropped by about 1/4 -- we sadly bought at the end of the height of the market. I laughed when our real estate agent said he would get us an attorney up there so that we would get our $$ at closing right away (since we are out of state it otherwise would get held). We aren't going to get ANY money. We will be thrilled if we don't have to pay anything at closing! I will be thrilled if the house sells before our tenants move out so I don't have to look for a full time job.

Well, I'm close to Athens so not too far! I guess i never thought of Gainesville as being multi cultural...

Nini
we are mainly hispanic but have some asian families too and a few from africa here and there ,in the pre-k classes...we have 66 pre-k kids and i'd say 3/4 are from other countries...so cool to see them all mix and mingle and learn form each other...

I agree that the younger one looks like a vida in the Rapunzel pictures. I can't identify any of the other patterns.

That is super adorable. My girls were both Laura a few years ago and they looked so cute in their costumes. Your little granddaughters are going to look adorable in their costumes! What did you make the pinafore out of? It has some really pretty cut work on it.

It sounds like your mom had those mommy instincts that told her this wasn't the time to go to disney. She's a smart woman to have listened to them. I am sure that she was a huge help to your brother's family.

I only have girls so I've never had to make anything like a Yoshi!

I am exhausted. Just finished cleaning up from having 35 people, both friends and family, here for break the fast tonight. I have a little more to still clean tomorrow but the house is mostly put back together. Everybody seemed to have a good time and the food all turned out great. Of course, after fasting all day it only needs to be half decent for everybody to gobble it up!:rotfl2:
you know me i am a thrift shor=tre junky and soooo frugal...the dress is froma sheet and the pinafora is made form 2 window panels,they are short like for a kitchen wimdow..just cut them up and used for the pinafore...i have soem pretty lacy/vintage looking pillowcases i will use for the twins aprons..Chloe's/Carrie outfit cost less than $6,that includes the pattern i got for $1 at Joann and the bonnet was in the other $1 pattern i got for the twins dresses/bonnet...Simplicity 3725...Andrea Schewe...i have gingham sheets in green & lavender that i am making theirs form and hoping to add the same coller as Chloe's from her pattern...we shall see...hehe

The first dress looks like the Cars dress that Cherise Elder Aka: Pick-A-Lily makes. I love that dress and want it for Lyddie!!!

I love the Mickey with the swirls and tulle, it looks familiar but I don't know who made it.

The little Rapunzel dresses look like they are Vidas with an apron on the front?

The bigger one just looks like a knot jumper. I think there is one like that with the apron on YCMT

They are all really pretty!!!!

I found the Mickey dress to be sort of odd. It's Mickey colors, but Alice in Wonderland. On the Rapunzel, I think they are darling, I don't really care for the characters, but I love the Tower.

Your dress and bonnet came out wonderful! Now lets see how they look on! :goodvibes

We will take a killing on our our house in RI. We will likely end up selling it for $100K less than we paid for it, plus we put at least $30K into it -- completely finished the basement and did a lot of outside work to the house. I just hope it sells!

We've had our house up for sale for a little over year, which I have read is the average time to sell a house now days. The hard part is that you want life to move on. It's my Mothers home and an estate sale. What is hurting us is that it doesn't have a garage. (there were 2 other estate homes in our neighborhood that both sold in a year and had garages) Apparently we have to go to court soon to explain why the estate hasn't been settled, you only have a year. And then you start to pay fines. The court pretty forces you to take major drops in price so you can just get rid of it and settle the estate. With the houseing market the way it is, I think this should be taken into consideration. That just kills me, my Mother loved this house, and after Dad died, she asked my sister and I to move in to help her with bills as she couldn't afford it on her own. She just refused to leave it. I can understand, she lived here for 40 years with the man she loved. I just don't think we should take such a hit on it. Plus, people don't seem to make offers around here.

I'm so sad your dh's business went under but glad you are starting to see something from the new endeavor. Our savings is minimal right now. We even had to draw from my ds's college savings when we first moved to RI and had our house here unrented. Thankfully dh has a good job (military) and we are in good shape with our house here. Our house in RI has dropped by about 1/4 -- we sadly bought at the end of the height of the market. I laughed when our real estate agent said he would get us an attorney up there so that we would get our $$ at closing right away (since we are out of state it otherwise would get held). We aren't going to get ANY money. We will be thrilled if we don't have to pay anything at closing! I will be thrilled if the house sells before our tenants move out so I don't have to look for a full time job.
I am hoping that your house in RI will sell very soon. I know how stressful stuff like this can be!

you know me i am a thrift shor=tre junky and soooo frugal...the dress is froma sheet and the pinafora is made form 2 window panels,they are short like for a kitchen wimdow..just cut them up and used for the pinafore...i have soem pretty lacy/vintage looking pillowcases i will use for the twins aprons..Chloe's/Carrie outfit cost less than $6,that includes the pattern i got for $1 at Joann and the bonnet was in the other $1 pattern i got for the twins dresses/bonnet...Simplicity 3725...Andrea Schewe...i have gingham sheets in green & lavender that i am making theirs form and hoping to add the same coller as Chloe's from her pattern...we shall see...hehe
I never find stuff like that when I go to the thrift stores around here. They are usually so picked over. We've found a couple of pairs of cute jeans for my girls but that's about it. I can't wait to see what you do with the other dresses!

We've had our house up for sale for a little over year, which I have read is the average time to sell a house now days. The hard part is that you want life to move on. It's my Mothers home and an estate sale. What is hurting us is that it doesn't have a garage. (there were 2 other estate homes in our neighborhood that both sold in a year and had garages) Apparently we have to go to court soon to explain why the estate hasn't been settled, you only have a year. And then you start to pay fines. The court pretty forces you to take major drops in price so you can just get rid of it and settle the estate. With the houseing market the way it is, I think this should be taken into consideration. That just kills me, my Mother loved this house, and after Dad died, she asked my sister and I to move in to help her with bills as she couldn't afford it on her own. She just refused to leave it. I can understand, she lived here for 40 years with the man she loved. I just don't think we should take such a hit on it. Plus, people don't seem to make offers around here.
I can certainly see how not having a garage can hurt you. Our problem is we only have three bedrooms in the house we are selling and most homes in our neighborhood have four or five. We did finish the basement with a legal bedroom, but I know someone with young children would want all the bedrooms on the upper level. One house took three years to sell up there -- it had four bedrooms but was the same model as ours - our house was phase II though so bigger rooms everywhere -- the kitchen they had was way too small. One other house took two years to sell. Our realtor just sold one in our neighborhood though in three months and for just a little less than the asking price.

Very weird about not being able to settle the estate when you do have the house on the market. I agree, it would be nice for you to get it all settled and move on. Let's hope we both have very good luck!

I am hoping that your house in RI will sell very soon. I know how stressful stuff like this can be!
We are fortunate that right now we have good tenants and they keep planning to stay longer and longer. First it was Dec they were leaving then it moved to March and now they are saying May or June. They do not have a lease though, so if it sells sooner our realtor will help them find a place to rent temporarily. I will feel bad if they get displaced, but financially it is impossible for us to wait until they vacate until we put the house for sale. Hopefully it will all work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter