Disboutiquers Part 26 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

and the whole group together
th_babyparade2011007.jpg
How cute are they!

I love all these!!!!!!! Great job.

I agree, you need to post this pictures on Heather's Facebook wall!

Andrea, I used that same fabric for a K dress two years ago for my Alexa!

Here she is with her big brother on the first day of school. He was a senior that year and wouldn't let me make him an outfit!

ht_242.jpg

Now that I am comparing the two pics side-by-side, I realize it isn't quite the same fabric but close enough!
Awww, that is such a sweet picture!!!

http://www.disbiggive.com
1.Leaving up your BG link in my quote b/c this is really an awesome family and they are so very deserving.

2.Ah, so I see Alexa has been consulting Tessa and Lydia -- now I at least have someone to blame. All this time I was wondering where I went wrong.

3.Great idea for the clippies -- you need to e-mail those pics to Heather or Teresa so they can be added to Heather's web site.
1. Thank you, I agree, I just love this family!
2.See, now at least you know what's going on!!!
3.Yes!!! Please do!!!!!

Thank you, I would say that it does run true to size, but I found that getting the elastic length just right so the top fits is a little fussy. Will your daughter be available to try it on her before you need to finish the straps? I had to shorten the elastic from what the pattern recommended so it didn't feel really baggy on top.

Also, I did not make the skirt part as wide or as gathered as the dress recommendation. I have read that if you use the full amount for the skirt, some find it a little too much fabric and gathers. For the top I made the skirt only about 4" larger than my hip measurement. You might want more than that for a dress though to allow room for movement, but maybe not quite as much as the pattern recommends.
HTH.

I agree with the elastic. For both mine and Lydia's I had to mess with the elastic to get it just right. I wouldn't want to make the dress for someone I couldn't have right there to try it on. I do love the pattern though, and I think it goes together beautifully!

Where did you get that four parks embroidery design? That would be so cute on a t-shirt for me or DH since we don't really do "obvious" customs.

It's Heather's design: http://www.froufroubyheathersue.com/index.html#ecwid:category=1488233&mode=product&product=5989037

Thank You guys for the compliments!! I really couldn't have/wouldn't have done any of this without y'all's influence. I hope it gets the kids at least a little extra attention. :)

I love the clippies! That's a great idea.

Where did you get that four parks embroidery design? That would be so cute on a t-shirt for me or DH since we don't really do "obvious" customs.

I saw Teresa answered but I did get it from HeatherSue... it is such an easy design to stitch out! I needed to add a name or something to it but I'm pooped.. this getting ready to go stuff is hard work. :)

I'm terrible about keeping up with quoting but everything is always so enjoyable to look at, I feel like I'm just repeating myself. Everything I've seen is always so spectacular.

I'm so stinkin' excited to be leaving tomorrow. Hope everyone enjoys their week. :thumbsup2

I am making my list of shirts to make the girl for December to match the skirts from August. It will definately be too cold for Tanks, so I am thinking short sleeves that are big enough to layer a long sleeve under.

I am thinking of one or two new outfits for the boy and am going to order some long sleeves to wear with the shorts from August.

I also want to embroider some shirts for the rest of us so I need to figure it out.
Chiara, that is what I did for our December trip (we went the second week in December). I did short sleeve t's and brought long sleeves to wear under them. We hit pretty warm weather ~ dd even wore a SS top with tie straps with nothing underneath for one of our late night magic hours. There were a couple of days though as well where long sleeves were needed. I brought leggings for under skirts and dresses and again, some days she didn't need them at all and others it was a must. We never wore jackets though (well, except for me b/c I'm always cold).

So, what cute sayings can you think of? I have only been able to think of one totally inappropriate saying (something about being gentle it is her first time)and I really need something better! Any ideas out there?
Nini
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yes, I think you need a better saying!!! I would find out who her favorite character is first and see if you can incorporate that.

Question : For a stripwork dress do you top stitch the sides?
I absolutely do -- I do it on both stripwork and patchwork.

Chiara, that is what I did for our December trip (we went the second week in December). I did short sleeve t's and brought long sleeves to wear under them. We hit pretty warm weather ~ dd even wore a SS top with tie straps with nothing underneath for one of our late night magic hours. There were a couple of days though as well where long sleeves were needed. I brought leggings for under skirts and dresses and again, some days she didn't need them at all and others it was a must. We never wore jackets though (well, except for me b/c I'm always cold).
You just never know with the weather down there. We were there in December last year (only in Orlando for a couple of days and then in Sarasota) but it was really cold! We were wearing long sleeves, jeans and winter coats at night. During the day we were ok with hoodies. We only had one day where we went without jackets but we still needed long sleeves. I think planning on layering is very smart for Florida winter weather.

Had a frustrating trip to Joann's today. It took about 2 hours to get the material for my daughter's Rapunzel Dress for Halloween. The cutting line was sooooooooooooooooo slow. 1 hour and 20 minutes from the time I drew my number to when I was called.

Now to find the time to sew it.

Ok I want to try a strip work skirt out of a jelly roll, do you wash and iron the fabric first?

Thank you, I would say that it does run true to size, but I found that getting the elastic length just right so the top fits is a little fussy. Will your daughter be available to try it on her before you need to finish the straps? I had to shorten the elastic from what the pattern recommended so it didn't feel really baggy on top.

Also, I did not make the skirt part as wide or as gathered as the dress recommendation. I have read that if you use the full amount for the skirt, some find it a little too much fabric and gathers. For the top I made the skirt only about 4" larger than my hip measurement. You might want more than that for a dress though to allow room for movement, but maybe not quite as much as the pattern recommends.
HTH.

I agree with the elastic. For both mine and Lydia's I had to mess with the elastic to get it just right. I wouldn't want to make the dress for someone I couldn't have right there to try it on. I do love the pattern though, and I think it goes together beautifully!

Thanks to both of you! She is around to try it on. Good to know about the elastic. I've had this pattern for months and have yet to try it!

Its been a while since I've posted a sewing picture. Its also been a while since I have done a lot of sewing. Here is Megan in her 1st day of kindergarten outfit. Nothing too fancy but it was comfy and she loved it.

ry%3D400

We leave Sunday for Disney... so guess who JUST got finished with everything. I did make a couple of things for my parents that I didn't get pics of but all this is for the kiddos and me. Came up with a new way to use clippies. :)

th_Disney030.jpg
th_Disney029.jpg

I made the shirt for AK and the shorts for something different. Don't think I like them together so think I'll pair the elephant shirt with khaki shorts.

th_Disney027.jpg
th_Disney027.jpg
th_Disney024.jpg
th_Disney025.jpg
th_Disney023.jpg

This would probably stand out on white or black but I hate wearing white and I thought black would be too hot.

th_Disney014.jpg
th_Disney013.jpg

Looks like you have been very busy! I really like Hannah's princess dress. In terms of black, I thought black will be too hot as well but I was very comfortable in my mostly black Jamie dress at the end of August. I hope your family will have a great trip!

Here she is with her big brother on the first day of school. He was a senior that year and wouldn't let me make him an outfit!

th_242.jpg

That's a cute dress too. Too funny about your son not letting you make him an outfit.

HTH.

I will just chime in with my experience with the Jamie dress. I made 2 of them so far. I used the elastic length as recommened in the pattern and it worked reasonably well for me (somehow I didn't even think to try it on before stitching the elastic). In my next redinition I will probably make the elastic a little bit shorter so I don't show the world more than I plan to when I bend over (it's not that bad, I just don't like to expose skin much below my collar bone!). I used the full material width since I like wider skirts (I take big steps when I walk). I didn't find it to be too much gathering but I think it is very much a personal preference thing.

Yah - going from a 4"x 6" dolly skirt to an XL adult t-shirt is quite the stretch. Part of the problem is that I only cut it apart up to the arm pits - so as I was appliqueing, the other half of the shirt was thrown over my shoulder... DH heard lots of swear words out of my mouth that day. Oh - and that's the day my machine decided to go caput - so I've been appliqueing on dd's machine for a few weeks now - I don't think my machine can be saved - and her machine does not enjoy appliqueing very much.

Tomorrow morning, I get to make all of our ADRs... we are all ready and have our dining options all scoped out. I am just super excited about this trip... My girls appreciate Disney so much more than DH. :wizard:

D~

I am sorry to hear about the problems with your machine. Maybe it's time for you to get a new machine? I guess it's all in what scale you are used to work with - I am even ok with making clothes for infants and young children (which I do from time to time), but that dolly dress gave me a fit!

So happy, I am down to only 5 shirts left and still have 13 days!

So, of course, someone needs another shirt! The 16 year old girl my DIL is taking to help out with my GD has requested a shirt. Since this is her first trip, I am wanting to do something cute with her favorite character (still to be determined) and a cute saying...

So, what cute sayings can you think of? I have only been able to think of one totally inappropriate saying (something about being gentle it is her first time)and I really need something better! Any ideas out there?

I think I may be back to normal on the computer. My main computer died, and my back up computer decided it no longer wanted to work as well. So I am now typing on my 6 weeks early birthday gift from hubby. We are still working on getting all my designs transferred over from the other computers...and the first item on my gift list is now an external hard drive!

One of these days I will get caught up in my personal life and be able to quote again...until then; Everything is fantastic!

Nini

I think it will be easier to start with her favourite character so the saying can be tailored to that character.

Question : For a stripwork dress do you top stitch the sides?

Do you mean top stitich each strip? I personally don't but I both sew and serge the seams between each strip.

Had a frustrating trip to Joann's today. It took about 2 hours to get the material for my daughter's Rapunzel Dress for Halloween. The cutting line was sooooooooooooooooo slow. 1 hour and 20 minutes from the time I drew my number to when I was called.

Now to find the time to sew it.

Yikes! I thought it was bad when it took me 45 minutes to get my fabric cut at Fabricland today (that's including waiting and having them cut from 8 bolts of fabric).

Speaking of which...

Potential Enabler Alert!

I wonder if the Tiana fabric has been discontinued because my Fabricland had those at 60% off. I picked up 2 to 3 metres each of 3 different Tiana prints so I will have them on hand for Big Gives or whatever I ended up doing with them. I guess others may want to keep an eye out for that in case they figured they wanted Tiana fabric.

Ok I want to try a strip work skirt out of a jelly roll, do you wash and iron the fabric first?

I don't think I'd wash and iron first because I am afraid the material will fray as I do that.

Its been a while since I've posted a sewing picture. Its also been a while since I have done a lot of sewing. Here is Megan in her 1st day of kindergarten outfit. Nothing too fancy but it was comfy and she loved it.

ry%3D400

Very cute (both the model and the outfit). The skirt does look comfy.

Hi All!

I haven't posted in a VERY VERY long time. I think it's been since last December which is ironically the last time I sewed as well. Our life got turned upside down and we ended up moving to Florida. Now we are just an hour from Disney. I've spent the night reading through the thread and you all have been up to some amazing things! So many talented woman on here.

THe hubby and I are trying to get more space set up this week. I hope to be back sewing in the next week or so. It will be nice to reconnect with my creative side.

Just wanted to tell everyone that it all looks great and hopefully I'll be spending more time on here.

Do you mean top stitich each strip? I personally don't but I both sew and serge the seams between each strip.

Yes, that is what I meant. I don't have a serger. I decided to try out the french seam. I have started top stitching the strips-It does look nicer.

Summer has finally come and my sewing/computer room is so hot and yucky. I can't do too much until it's late at night.

I'm just trying to finish up a few things before I go on my trip. I decided to make the oldest niece a Halloween dress for school (no costumes allowed). Her sister is getting a lot of clothes between last year's trip and this years. I think she feels a little left out. She only has a few dresses that I have made that fit her.

ry%3D400
That's adorable -- I haven't seen that fabric. It's great!

Looking for Rapunzel Fabric

Where do I find it?
In the states Joann's has it.

Yes, that is what I meant. I don't have a serger. I decided to try out the french seam. I have started top stitching the strips-It does look nicer.

Summer has finally come and my sewing/computer room is so hot and yucky. I can't do too much until it's late at night.

I'm just trying to finish up a few things before I go on my trip. I decided to make the oldest niece a Halloween dress for school (no costumes allowed). Her sister is getting a lot of clothes between last year's trip and this years. I think she feels a little left out. She only has a few dresses that I have made that fit her.
I need to clarify the topstitching -- what I do is sew the pieces, serge the sides and then iron the serged edges all in one direction, then I top stitch the serged edge down one each strip. For the Insa I serge first and then iron the seam open and top stitch down each side. So on a stripwork I only have one top stitch on each strip -- for example, they might all be on the right sides of each strip, not both the right and left sides.

I am about 15 pages behind again, but I wanted to post my week 4 entry since the voting is done:

2347477860051332420S500x500Q85.jpg

I started with the Make It And Love It stroller bag tutorial and customized the life out of it, so that it zips open to sit flat and has specific places for all my gear. I just have to say I LOVE this bag. I got to try it out in action at the zoo last week and with the way everything is secured I can change lenses with one hand while I'm walking. Amazing! I have been in such desperate need of a better camera bag for so long, because I've been using the one that came with my dSLR despite having added two lenses, a pocket tripod, and a camcorder to my setup since then.

Love how this bag came out.

297286_247451458626495_114570338581275_681738_4608343_n.jpg

My custom for my dd. Hollywood Minnie for HS! The fabric was at Hancock's in the clearance section. Gotta' love the perfect fabric at the perfect price!

I just love that fabric. How appropriate for DHS. Love all you other dresses too.

This is probably the last thing I will get made for my new little grandson before he is born and I had forgotten to post it here. Sorry for bad quality picture...it was taken with phone. They are size 0-3...so tiny!

Diapercover.jpg

That is too precious

I LOVE IT!!! i bought some of that fabric awhile back before we went to wdw in may.I made peasent shirt/dresses for my 3 granddaughters...twins-Gracie in blue trim,Kensleigh in greenlil sis Chloe in the middle!
247832_214116415287519_100000674867225_651598_1472494_n.jpg

i have fabric left waiting for another trip for me & mine or soem friends who plan to go next summer! i may have to case your dress!

That is an adorable picture.

Ok, here are a few pictures of the flooding we had yesterday afternoon.

th_P9080076.jpg
th_P9080075.jpg

Luckily the house stayed completely dry!

:scared1: How scary. Thankfully your house stayed dry.

Yep DH was a po then. He was actually off on 9-11 but was called into work. I was 8 months pregnant with DD at the time. It was a very scary time here in NY

:hug: How scary that must have been. Praying that everyone stays safe today.

Here she is two years ago:
th_P8080112.jpg

And here she is today (along with ds wearing his coordinating 4th grade Rocks t-shirt):
th_School2011.jpg

And this is the side of our house (the tree was taller than our house) -- ETA it didn't topple over completely b/c the fence caught it:
th_Tree1.jpg
th_Tree2.jpg

Cute dress. I love that she has been able to wear it for a few years. And I love that you made something for you DS too.

Glad no damage to your house. That must have been scary seeing that come crashing down.

Good News

I got my very first order. It's for embroidered polo shirts. It's for my son's upcoming film shoot, part of which takes place in a shoe store, so I'm making the employee shirts. Not a paying gig, but a gig.
Bad News

My son's going to be filming in our basement. (The main character lives at home with his parents.) We need to carve out a sleeping space and he also wants to use my sewing quadrant, but due to copyright issues, all of my Disney stuff has to be removed or "greeked". (That's your film term for today, greeking means covering up or making illegible. You know how sometimes on reality TV you see t-shirts or baseball caps that are blurred out. It's not becasue they have profanity, but probably a copyrighted image.)

Yeah for you first order.

Boo for losing you sewing room.

I got a late start sewing for Disney, so I didn't get a lot done, but here are a few shots of what I did get done! :)

My FAVORITE outfit that I made for the girls were the dresses for Ohana's!

317578_2199058368758_1016230040_32523913_1421518895_n.jpg

Not a great shot of this one, but I love this outfit!

316965_2199288774518_1016230040_32524189_1020812624_n.jpg

Here is a link to my Facebook album. Feel free to look and to friend me.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2196417862747.2122868.1016230040&l=43425d7b54&type=1

We had a blast and I can't wait to go again!

Love everything you did. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

here are our kids holloween costumes and Baby parade costumes

and the whole group together
babyparade2011007.jpg

Love all the costumes. I love when the kids all have a theme going on.

Sorry for so many pics y'all.... I've become one of those "Do it when I have to" people in my SAHM mentality, especially when it comes to having to put "real" clothes on.... hehe.

We leave Sunday for Disney... so guess who JUST got finished with everything. I did make a couple of things for my parents that I didn't get pics of but all this is for the kiddos and me. Came up with a new way to use clippies. :)

th_Disney029.jpg

I made the shirt for AK and the shorts for something different. Don't think I like them together so think I'll pair the elephant shirt with khaki shorts.

th_Disney027.jpg

th_Disney027.jpg

This would probably stand out on white or black but I hate wearing white and I thought black would be too hot.

th_Disney014.jpg

Have a wonderful trip.
What a great use of the clippies. The bows came out great as did all you outfits. Can't wait to see them in action.

ry%3D400

Awe that is so cute.

Hi All!

I haven't posted in a VERY VERY long time. I think it's been since last December which is ironically the last time I sewed as well. Our life got turned upside down and we ended up moving to Florida. Now we are just an hour from Disney. I've spent the night reading through the thread and you all have been up to some amazing things! So many talented woman on here.

THe hubby and I are trying to get more space set up this week. I hope to be back sewing in the next week or so. It will be nice to reconnect with my creative side.

Just wanted to tell everyone that it all looks great and hopefully I'll be spending more time on here.

:welcome: back

Hi All!

Welcome back! Can't wait to see what you start creating once your sewing space is set up.

Chiara- I lost my quote but I don't think I would wash the jellyroll fabric. Although making the skirt with a frayed look on purpose could be really cute! I've never tried that but now that I think about it, that kind of shabby chic look might be adorable.

I absolutely do -- I do it on both stripwork and patchwork.

I was going to ask about this, too, but looks like you clarified it.

WOW! That's dedication to wait 80 minutes!

It's going to look great. I've never gotten a jelly roll.

ry%3D400

How cute. Nice job, and hope kindergarden is going well.

Aren't jelly rolls cut with pinked edges? The pinking keeps them from fraying....

I've found that jelly rolls from fabric/quilting stores are usually pinked, so I just wash and iron those as usual. But when buying jelly rolls from ebay/Etsy they often aren't.

What I've done that seems to work is join the skirt strips into one flat piece of fabric, use a narrow zig-zag to finish the raw edges, and wash/press it as a single flat panel before joining the ends to make the skirt-tube. That way it has a little more "give" to shrink without pulling seams apart. After it has been washed and ironed I do the top-stitching and that last skirt seam before putting the outfit together.

I need to clarify the topstitching -- what I do is sew the pieces, serge the sides and then iron the serged edges all in one direction, then I top stitch the serged edge down one each strip. For the Insa I serge first and then iron the seam open and top stitch down each side. So on a stripwork I only have one top stitch on each strip -- for example, they might all be on the right sides of each strip, not both the right and left sides.

Good, I'm doing it correctly! I ironed the french seam to the same side all the way around so each strip will only be top stitched on one side.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter