• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peace Love and Blue Jeans! LOL!
020co.jpg

I ADORE the jeans! DD would probably love those too!

Love the outfit! I just picked up some jeans on clearance and may have to try that! For $2.48 a pair I can afford to mess up!

It took me ALL morning to make a bucket hat. Was doing laundry, testing (we homeschool), cleaning and packing in between, so I know how that is!

My first attempt at a Feliz never got finished. I was so intimidated by the pattern that I just couldn't do it. Over a year later I tried again and was so amazed how easy it actually was! In fact, I made dd 2 dresses and the second one I finished in a very short time! I trace my patterns onto sew-in interfacing. Makes them last longer and they fold better.
Thank you for the compliment and for the tips! I need to look into this!

Adorable outfit, and I love the little hippie girl too!

As far as tracing the patterns (which I hate doing as well) you may get quite a few different answers, but what works for me is something called swedish pattern tracing paper.

Available on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Birch-Street-Clothing-Swedish-TracingPaper/dp/B000PNEWVU and possibly others.

It costs a bit, but it is like a cloth and holds up well once traced on. I've heard some use freezer paper, but for this type of pattern, I can't see through the freezer paper to trace the pattern. Hmmm, maybe I can learn something here, I'll wait for additional responses. popcorn::
Thank You So Much! I am willing to try any and all ideas thrown at me! LOL! After All that's the only way to find the perfect solution that works for me! :goodvibes

Well, not too bad. First off, LOVE the serger!:cloud9: It took me less time to sew the pants than it did to do the hem/casing :scared1:. Of douse, you must understand that my sewing machine is a cheepy I've had for about 14 years. The thread breaks every 30 stitches :sick:. Needless to say, it takes forever! The serger was a dream to work with.:upsidedow

Well, here they are. I haven't finished the roll up sides yet, because I don't have any buttons that I like with the fabric enough. But, they are marked and ready. :). I'll post details of that when I get it done.

DS response when trying them on? "Are these my roll up pants? You did it, Mommy!". :rotfl:

Oh, and I plan to pair them with a navy bout shirt w/Buzz appliqué of the same fabric.

febaff2e.jpg

Be back tonight to quote.:goodvibes
Cute. Cute. Cute! Love that plaid! It's perfect!

I ADORE the jeans! DD would probably love those too!
Thanks so much!

Jeana

OMGoodness! This sounds very similar to my sewing experiences! DH always asks how long it took me to make something and I always have to answer with.... "Well if you add in the time it took me to prepare meals, break up fights, help dress the AG dolls, help to get the wii remotes back on track, go outside to play for a bit??? Um yeah I guess it pretty much took 8 days!" :eek: Your pants look fantastic! I love that fabric and the Mickey shirt sounds darling!

My pictures are finally through loading so here is what I worked on over the weekend....

th_020co.jpg

applique detail. I just adore this little hippe girl! :goodvibes
th_014co.jpg

Pants detail. This was a first for me but I think they turned out pretty cute! The pattern I used for the ruffles was supposed to be done on store bought pants, but I really wanted to make my own so I just winged it.
th_006co.jpg

And a shot of just the under peasant top and jeans together. I adore this fabric!:cloud9:
th_004co.jpg

On another note my next project is very intimidating to me. Maybe some of you will be able to give me some insight.... I just purchased the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book. After receiving 2 books on different occasions that came to me without the patterns:headache: I decided to order somewhere else. Well the book came and it is just lovely! However, I think I was better off without the patterns! LOL! I have never ever not once ever sewn anything from a regular paper pattern. They have all been pdf print your own type things. I am so overwhelmed by the patterns from that book I don't even know where to begin! The first thing I would like to try is the insa skirt but how do I trace the pattern? :rolleyes1

Jeana
I love the jeans! They are so cute and now you have me wanting to make a pair like that. The whole outfit is fantastic!

OK, here's how I trace patterns. I take the awful tissue paper crap and lay it out on my island. I take the size I want to do and trace it with a marker of a particular color -- that way later when I make a different size I trace it with a different color marker for ease. For me it's easier than deciphering the dashes and dots while tracing, so while it's an extra step, it saves me in the long run.

I buy a tablet of tracing paper which you can get at Walmart. For most patterns I have to tape some of the tracing paper together as it is only 8.5" x 11". I then trace the pattern onto the paper right over the marker line using a pencil. I then add a 1/4 inch seam allowance where need be and cut the pattern out. I am sure to label it as well and I mark the size with a colored marker for ease of use when I am doing multiple sizes (such as making identical skirts for a BG).

The tracing paper doesn't wrinkle up like the tissue and it folds easily for storage.

I have heard other people trace patterns on clear shower curtain liners for durability. I also got this really awesome clearish paper that my dd used to trace maps on at school. Her teacher at the time, who is an expert seamstress, had no clue where the paper came from. It was clear enough to trace but extremely durable (would not tear) and came on a large roll. I really need to see if a craft store might have something like that.

And the Insa is EASY to trace -- just three pieces is all! Just be sure to add your seam allowances! The Insa is also easy to make and great for applique.

The Walmarts here have their prepackaged cuts marked down to $5, but when I brought 3 up to the register this morning, they rang up at $3.98! I like $2 a yard!

I will have to see if I have time for Joanns too! Where is that one?

I also serge all my edges to make for a cleaner finish. I also cheat on the casing for elastic. I serge the top and then iron the serged end down. Much easier than trying to iron 1/4 inch. Makes for a faster finish time too!

Love the outfit! I just picked up some jeans on clearance and may have to try that! For $2.48 a pair I can afford to mess up!

It took me ALL morning to make a bucket hat. Was doing laundry, testing (we homeschool), cleaning and packing in between, so I know how that is!

My first attempt at a Feliz never got finished. I was so intimidated by the pattern that I just couldn't do it. Over a year later I tried again and was so amazed how easy it actually was! In fact, I made dd 2 dresses and the second one I finished in a very short time! I trace my patterns onto sew-in interfacing. Makes them last longer and they fold better.
The Joann's is on Laskin Road -- intersection of Laskin and First colonial on the southwest corner -- they have all those annoying feeder roads there and trafffic is usually heavy, but there is a light right on Laskin that you can use to turn into the shopping plaza and avoid the feeder roads.

That's exactly the reason I serge the casing and hems -- makes it easy to turn and iron.

$2.48 is a fabulous deal on jeans! I got a deal like that at Target two years ago so my dd ended up with thwo pairs that I ruffled and one that I left plain. I bought every pair in her size! I have yet to find such a deal, though I did just get ds two pairs of pants for $3 each -- can't ruffle his up though!

Well, not too bad. First off, LOVE the serger!:cloud9: It took me less time to sew the pants than it did to do the hem/casing :scared1:. Of douse, you must understand that my sewing machine is a cheepy I've had for about 14 years. The thread breaks every 30 stitches :sick:. Needless to say, it takes forever! The serger was a dream to work with.:upsidedow

Well, here they are. I haven't finished the roll up sides yet, because I don't have any buttons that I like with the fabric enough. But, they are marked and ready. :). I'll post details of that when I get it done.

DS response when trying them on? "Are these my roll up pants? You did it, Mommy!". :rotfl:

Oh, and I plan to pair them with a navy bout shirt w/Buzz appliqué of the same fabric.

th_febaff2e.jpg

Be back tonight to quote.:goodvibes

The pants look great! I love your ds's reaction to your sewing!

My pictures are finally through loading so here is what I worked on over the weekend....

th_020co.jpg

th_014co.jpg

Pants detail. This was a first for me but I think they turned out pretty cute! The pattern I used for the ruffles was supposed to be done on store bought pants, but I really wanted to make my own so I just winged it.
th_006co.jpg

And a shot of just the under peasant top and jeans together. I adore this fabric!:cloud9:
th_004co.jpg

On another note my next project is very intimidating to me. Maybe some of you will be able to give me some insight.... I just purchased the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book. After receiving 2 books on different occasions that came to me without the patterns:headache: I decided to order somewhere else. Well the book came and it is just lovely! However, I think I was better off without the patterns! LOL! I have never ever not once ever sewn anything from a regular paper pattern. They have all been pdf print your own type things. I am so overwhelmed by the patterns from that book I don't even know where to begin! The first thing I would like to try is the insa skirt but how do I trace the pattern? :rolleyes1

Jeana

I love the jeans. My mom added the material to my jeans when I was a teenager. I like the addition of the ruffles.

Just saw my photos are not working, give me a few Ill fix them. Gotta run DS to soccer first.

Ok I said that I would post some pictures about a week ago. Ive been so busy havent had a chance to do so yet. So here they are. Remember this is my first time ever trying to sew, so dont be too critical!

Here is my little sewing area, my room that I plan to use as a sewing room is still full of boxes from moving, so Im using part of our bedroom, that is pretty big and empty.

a=4400010_4400010

Here is her Little Mermaid dress I made, I need to take a picture of the straps they are cute!

a=4400010_4400010

And the shorts I made, I bought her a black tank top and am sewing a mickey head with the same material as shorts, of course this will be for Animal Kingdom.

a=4400010_4400010

Well, Ii didn't get to sew yesterday as planned. Made an unexpected trip to my sister's house. She wanted to borrow some thread. I got a huge bag of fabric paint she no longer wants and some fresh rhubarb from her garden in exchange. I sure came out way ahead on that deal.:thumbsup2

Anyway, I finally uploaded pix of my first pair of easy fits. Not sure how long it took, because I was tending to my baby at the same time and such.
186.jpg

Also, here is a SS stripwork that I made my dd for our trip. Hand appliqued MM head.
184.jpg

Have a want list going, and on it is a serger and an embroidery machine. However, the mom of 3 prevailed today, and we bought a new dishwasher instead! Can't wait til it gets here on Saturday. I've been handwashing dishes for 2 years now.

Does anybody know where I might find a free kids t shirt pattern? It looks like it would be so simple that I hate to buy one. Thanks!

Lori in East Podunk

Thank you to all who commented on my shirts and your concern for my Ryan's eye. He's doing much better today, but he will be a happy camper once he doesn't have to do the drops and salve any more.

020co.jpg

014co.jpg

006co.jpg

004co.jpg

Jeana

I have that book too, and I'm totally intimidated by the patterns as well. I need Carla to write her own interpretations for me...I'm so spoiled by her easy to understand patterns. I collect paper patterns, but I very rarely break them out and use them. SHHH!! Don't tell DH!

That lil hippie outfit is AHHHHHHHDORABLE!! Beautiful work as always!!

Well, Ii didn't get to sew yesterday as planned. Made an unexpected trip to my sister's house. She wanted to borrow some thread. I got a huge bag of fabric paint she no longer wants and some fresh rhubarb from her garden in exchange. I sure came out way ahead on that deal.:thumbsup2

Anyway, I finally uploaded pix of my first pair of easy fits. Not sure how long it took, because I was tending to my baby at the same time and such.
186.jpg

Also, here is a SS stripwork that I made my dd for our trip. Hand appliqued MM head.
184.jpg

Have a want list going, and on it is a serger and an embroidery machine. However, the mom of 3 prevailed today, and we bought a new dishwasher instead! Can't wait til it gets here on Saturday. I've been handwashing dishes for 2 years now.

Love the easy fits and that stripwork dress is TDF!! I love those prints together!!:lovestruc

th_186.jpg

th_184.jpg

Adorable, love the shorts and the stripwork. And congrats on the new dishwasher, I'm sure that will be a great timesaver.

Having been inspired by sewing rooms that I've seen here, I finally got off my butt and put together a sewing room. I had so much stuff from two or three other rooms that it totally filled up one room. Then I decorated in my favorite Wicked/Wizard of Oz theme. Hope you enjoy!

100_1335.jpg

100_1336.jpg

100_1337.jpg

100_1338.jpg

100_1339.jpg

100_1340.jpg

ok Ill try this again...

Here is my sewing area. I described everything on previous post, but picts werent working, so I wont go into great detail this post.

sewing004.jpg

Here is the Little Mermaid dress I made her.

sewing002-1.jpg

And the little shorts I made her, I have a tank top that I will sew a mickey head on front with same material. Of course, this is for Animal Kingdom!

sewing003.jpg

Finally have something to share....

These are the easy fit shorts and the patchwork bucket hat I have been working on. The shorts took me 30 minutes and only because the hem was too big for my short child and I had to refold them to 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 1/2 inches! (The shirt is from Old NAvy)

DSCF0002.jpg

And because she loves our puppy....
DSCF0006.jpg

And here are some crayon totes I made for my preschool class. The parents and kids loved them!
DSCF0007.jpg

Thank you to all who commented on my shirts and your concern for my Ryan's eye. He's doing much better today, but he will be a happy camper once he doesn't have to do the drops and salve any more.

So glad Ryan is doing better. That scared me when you posted it. Poor guy.

Having been inspired by sewing rooms that I've seen here, I finally got off my butt and put together a sewing room. I had so much stuff from two or three other rooms that it totally filled up one room. Then I decorated in my favorite Wicked/Wizard of Oz theme. Hope you enjoy!

100_1335.jpg

I love your sewing room! I am the strangest person around, as I don't like Wizard of Oz. It scared me as a child. Dh thinks I'm nuts. Anyway, you are so lucky to have a designated space. I'm on the kitchen table. Thanks for sharing pix.
ok Ill try this again...

Here is my sewing area. I described everything on previous post, but picts werent working, so I wont go into great detail this post.

sewing004.jpg

sewing002-1.jpg

And the little shorts I made her, I have a tank top that I will sew a mickey head on front with same material. Of course, this is for Animal Kingdom!

sewing003.jpg
Her dress is really cute. The shorts turned out great!

These are the easy fit shorts and the patchwork bucket hat I have been working on. The shorts took me 30 minutes and only because the hem was too big for my short child and I had to refold them to 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 1/2 inches! (The shirt is from Old NAvy)

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

And here are some crayon totes I made for my preschool class. The parents and kids loved them!
DSCF0007.jpg
The shirt and shorts look like they were made for each other. Great match up. Love those crayon totes. What pattern is that. So cute.

OK...seems I am always on here to ask for help lately...I promise to remedy that..

Lately, I CAN NOT get my files to transfer over to my thumb drive. The only thing different since this problem started is...I downloaded a free trial of Embird. Now, part of me is saying that has to be it...but the other part of me can not for the life of me figure out HOW that can be it...

Any suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Complaints? All of my shirts are sitting here in my laptop and none are in my thumbdrives....yes, as in numerous. Even tried a new one...no luck!

I think I need a nap!

Nini

Does anybody know where I might find a free kids t shirt pattern? It looks like it would be so simple that I hate to buy one. Thanks!

Lori in East Podunk

T-shirts are best bought, in my experience. You can get them cheaper at Target/WalMart than you can buy the fabric.

And my "wish list" includes a serger. One of these days.

Lori in East Podunk

I LOVE Carla's Raglan t-shirt pattern! It is SUPER SUPER easy and very quick to make. I have often found knit fabric at Walmart really cheep. It's fun to be able to mix and match fabrics on it too.

I've heard some use freezer paper, but for this type of pattern, I can't see through the freezer paper to trace the pattern. Hmmm, maybe I can learn something here, I'll wait for additional responses. popcorn::

I use freezer paper. I tape the pattern onto my sliding glass door with medical tape (use it also for patching eyes). The tape doesn't stay stuck to the pattern, and can be re-used. Only works during the daylight hours, though! ( the light through the window, not the tape! :lmao:)

Jake and the Neverland Pirates Outfits
th_IMGP6826.jpg
[/IMG]

So cute. I really love that treasure map fabric.

Oh, I missed your other quote because I think I may have fell off my chair when you said you made 5 sets for 17 days. :eek: Everything you made is really cute. I love the Minnie sets and the Pink Ariel. Lots of fun boy stuff too. Thanks for sharing.

:lmao: Thanks. It is all DH's fault since he asked for some shirts too. Otherwise I would have just made stuff for the 3 kids.

Everything is so cute!!! You have been busy! I like Ariel in pink. :thumbsup2

All of your stuff is just awesome.

LOVE IT ALL! But my favorite is the minnie princess! You did some beautiful work!

These turned out awesome!
D~

You are going to have blast seeing everyone wear all of your outfits. Have a magical trip!

You continue to amaze me! Princess Minnie is my fav. :goodvibes
Jeana

Great outfits. I love the way you used the shorts/skirt material for the applique.

I love everything, it's looking great!

You are amazing! I adore the Belle shirt -- I am so used to seeing her in the yellow dress and I actually like the simple blue dress better! I love the jammies too!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. And anyone I may have missed quoting.
All of you were my inspiration with all the beautiful things you have made. :hug: I really can't believe I pulled it off but I was determined:rotfl2:

And Andrea that pj fabric must have looked familiar. Didn't you do a BG with that same fabric.

I'm working on my first tricky applique. Here is what I have so far. I'm planning on going around most of the pieces that I have placed on top, leaving the spots around the edge as I will finish them when I actually stitch it to the fabric that it's going onto (like a patch).

Is there anything I forgot or should do? Any tips about the smaller areas like the feet/eyes?

My open toe foot should arrive tomorrow.

th_IMG_3041.jpg

Wow that is going to be a cute applique. Sorry I can't help you as I have never done one by hand.

Check out my ticker! I'll have to post pics of the shirts I made my girls to announce to others when I get a good pic.

:goodvibes Congrats on baby number 3.

I can't believe that someone made like ?17 outfits in 5 day

:rotfl: It was 17 sets of outfits for the 5 of us.... But it took me more than 17 days.... more like 6 mths:rotfl2:

Ladies, you will be so proud of me.

I did my first pair of easy-fits yesterday. It only took me 8 hours start to finish. :thumbsup2 Of course, that included breaks to feed children, the baby flipping herself out of the bouncy seat next to my table and needing to be comforted, DD "helping" me while I was winding my bobbin, spilled pins on the floor (don't worry, baby wasn't in the room at the time), and keeping DD from touching everything on the table while I was sewing.

Ok, so I skew the average a little bit. But from the point where I printed off the pattern, cut it, cut the fabric, and sewed, it was probably an hour total.

Here were the results. I'm going to pair them with a white tshirt with a mickey head appliqued from the same fabric. DD loves them, and is anxiously awaiting her "Punzel" dress.

th_DSC_0032-1.jpg

Those are so cute. It will look really cute with your white t too.

th_020co.jpg

Jeana

That outfit is awesome. That hippy applique is too cute.

As for tracing patterns I use my sliding doors. I tape the pattern on the door and then tape plain white copy paper and trace it out that way. I usually used the 11x17 paper that we have from work, but any size would do.

Hmmmm, our average time to complete is now really skewed. But you have made my 40 minutes seem stellar now so I appreciate that!

I so can empathize with those of you with pregnancy sickness. I had to be on phenergan for both pregnancies. With my first I even vomited in labor, but it stopped once he was born. With my second the nausea ended at 7 months and I was beyond thrilled. And believe it or not, we still tried very hard for a third but no such luck.

I think once I got good at the easy fit shorts it probably took me about 30 minutes (not including the cutting time) I think the longest part was ironing the hems.

I too feel for those with pregnancy sickness:sick: With DD I was throwing up so much I popped all the blood vessels in my eyes. That was a scary sight.:rotfl: Plus with her on I was hospitalized for 6 weeks due to other complications. Luckily my pregnancies with my sons was less stressful.

DS response when trying them on? "Are these my roll up pants? You did it, Mommy!".

th_febaff2e.jpg

Those came out fabulous. That is so cute what your DS said. I love that my kids like me making them things.

th_186.jpg

th_184.jpg

Those are adorable. I love that Zebra fabric with the hot pick.

Lori in East Podunk

Not sure where there are any, but the cost of the knit fabric at my Joannes was more than what I can get a Tshirt on sale at Target or ON. But if you do find one I would love to see your pics and what you created.

th_100_1335.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE your sewing room and all the space you have to sew. Everyone is making me jelous with their awesome rooms. I noticed too that you have a vintage machine like D.

ok Ill try this again...

th_sewing002-1.jpg

Cute dress and shorts. Are the shorts pink or beige. I couldn't tell by my screen. And nice sewing room. Looks like you have a nice long table to sew on. And I spotted some MinnieMouse dot fabric too.

th_DSCF0006.jpg

Who doesn't love their puppies. Great job on the shorts and shirt. The style is now all the peace signs on everything. And the crayon totes came out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter