• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the last of my pics. Though I just remembered I promised DD a non Disney mermaid shirt for the Mermaid & Pirate Birthday bash:sad2:

I started running out of themes so it kind of became pick what character you want theme:rotfl:

th_DSCF0962.jpg

th_DSCF0973.jpg

DD is in a pink phase and wanted Ariel all in pink:confused3

th_DSCF0958.jpg

th_DSCF0959.jpg

Our matching pajama night:

th_DSCF0979.jpg

th_DSCF0980.jpg

Thanks for looking:goodvibes
Oh, I missed your other quote because I think I may have fell off my chair when you said you made 5 sets for 17 days. :eek: Everything you made is really cute. I love the Minnie sets and the Pink Ariel. Lots of fun boy stuff too. Thanks for sharing.

G
Yes, the third is upside down. It kept tipping over the other way. I'm curious to see the gathering foot being used.

I was browsing through all the info on page 1, which I like to do from time to time. (Hey, newbies, check out all of teresajoy's bookmarks -- you'll be richly rewarded!) I read rule #12 about it being mandatory to make a pillowcase dress, so that's what I'm working on for Ginger as well as a 'Cupcakes, Please' stripwork jumper.

I use my gathering foot all the time. I really like it. You just put it on, put your fabric you want to gather underneath the foot set your stich length to long and start going. If they aren't gathered enough, set your tension higher. I usually use this foot on my machine that doesn't give me good enough gathers with just the tension method alone.

If you remember the black dress with flowers I made for Lydia for the Father Daughter Dance, I used the gathering foot on that, and it turned out SUPER TWIRLY!

I also love to use the rolled hem foot, because I hate doing tiny hems. I always burn myself on the iron trying to press.

Thanks for the compliment on the bookmarks! I am always happy when someone finds them useful!

Yes, she wants me to use the netting with the big holes. Not pretty and not sure how it would be comfortable for her to wear. My concern is that I bought her the cutest outfit off of etsy and the tulle layer in the skirt has not held up well. She has only worn it twice and the tulle already has holes in it. I want to make sure whatever I use will hold up better.

The saleslady doesn't know what she is talking about. I made my girls tutus several years ago, and they have held up really well. I was scared they would rip easy too, because of my previous experience with tulle on dresses.

I also bought the tulle off the bolts at Joanns.
TIME YOUR EASY FITS

I believe it was Chiara who says she can whip up a pair of Easy Fits in 20 minutes. I made dd two pairs of Easy Fit jammie shorts the past two days. Pair one took me exactly 40 minutes. Pair two took me exactly 40 minutes as well (though I did move laundry from the washer to dryer in that 40 minutes -- so let's say 39 for good measure).

I don't think I am a retarded sewer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them any faster. So please time how long it takes to make a pair of shorts the next time you make them so I can see if I need to go join Nini in assisted living or not.

I have to finish a shirt for one pair and then will post pics -- nothing exciting though so don't hold your breath.
Are we counting cutting time too, with a ready pattern? I'll have to make some and see!

I've never sewn pants upside down either. :thumbsup2

(yet)

Here are the last of my pics. Though I just remembered I promised DD a non Disney mermaid shirt for the Mermaid & Pirate Birthday bash:sad2:

I started running out of themes so it kind of became pick what character you want theme:rotfl:

th_DSCF0962.jpg
Everything is so cute!!! You have been busy! I like Ariel in pink. :thumbsup2

Here ya go VBAndrea...the shirts I made inspired by you :worship:

My son (sorry, posted this once before)

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

And then, I whipped this up over the weekend for my DD. I have a new found respect for those of you that sew doll clothing!! Making a 6/12 month bowling shirt is NOT EASY!! And this is still bigger yet than anything someone would make for a doll! OY, the sleeves were TRICKY! Can't really tell from the pictures, but Anna's McQueen is appliqued with sparkly red fabric :wizard:

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

Don't ya just love heart buttons?

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

I'll try to get a picture of my trio in their shirts soon. We were heading to the Cars 2 movie today and my little guy was pulling his shirt down from the closet and the hanger swung around and popped in in the eye. After he didn't settle down about 15 minutes later, we decided to skip the movie and take him to the ER...yep, scratched cornea. I've officially given up on this week. Next week has got to be better!!

Your stuff is so cute. So sorry about your little guy

TIME YOUR EASY FITS

I believe it was Chiara who says she can whip up a pair of Easy Fits in 20 minutes. I made dd two pairs of Easy Fit jammie shorts the past two days. Pair one took me exactly 40 minutes. Pair two took me exactly 40 minutes as well (though I did move laundry from the washer to dryer in that 40 minutes -- so let's say 39 for good measure).

I don't think I am a retarded sewer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them any faster. So please time how long it takes to make a pair of shorts the next time you make them so I can see if I need to go join Nini in assisted living or not.

I have to finish a shirt for one pair and then will post pics -- nothing exciting though so don't hold your breath.

Andrea this morning it took me 35 minutes to sew a pair that was already cut out. The other day it was about 40 so I think I was imagining it was 20 minutes LOL.

DSCF0962.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

Close up of minnie:

DSCF0974.jpg

DD is in a pink phase and wanted Ariel all in pink:confused3

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

DSCF0980.jpg

As you can see by my ticker I am quickly running out of time so today I started sewing for our trip.

Jake and the Neverland Pirates Outfits

Jake and easy fits shorts for the baby.
IMGP6826.jpg
[/IMG]

For my DGD who loves to spin I made a flouncy skirt with shorts attached and added Izzy to her shirt.

IMGP6827.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP6828.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm so glad to finally have time to sew, we have been to a First Communion, graduation, family function every weekend for the last month or two! It's been fun but it's time to get serious...

All of your stuff is just awesome.

We went to visit friends in NJ today. We had so much fun. These are our friends who are coming with us in December and surprising their son. Need to make a little list for that trip though.

th_IMG_3739.jpg
th_IMG_3740.jpg

And then, I whipped this up over the weekend for my DD. I have a new found respect for those of you that sew doll clothing!! Making a 6/12 month bowling shirt is NOT EASY!! And this is still bigger yet than anything someone would make for a doll! OY, the sleeves were TRICKY! Can't really tell from the pictures, but Anna's McQueen is appliqued with sparkly red fabric :wizard:

th_IMG_4114.jpg
th_IMG_4118.jpg

I'll try to get a picture of my trio in their shirts soon. We were heading to the Cars 2 movie today and my little guy was pulling his shirt down from the closet and the hanger swung around and popped in in the eye. After he didn't settle down about 15 minutes later, we decided to skip the movie and take him to the ER...yep, scratched cornea. I've officially given up on this week. Next week has got to be better!!

Love your cars shirts! I still have not tried that pattern, but it looks fun! And doll clothes can be quite difficult sometimes...especially the small parts!

Hancocks has a decent sale going on right now -- Licensed cotton is 40% off. Absolute cotton prints are 30% off and there are tons of odds and ends for 50% off.

I beg to differ -- I have NEVER sewn them upside down! Let's not discuss cutting them upside down on direction prints though (twice!) :
it.

Thanks about the info of sale items at Hancocks! I got my directions printed out to hit Hancocks, Walmart, Disney store at the mall and the homeschool store I am officially going to VA beach for.....

And I have sewn a dress with the skirt part cute upside down....we told dd that the nemos were upside down so when she looked at them they would look the right way!

TIME YOUR EASY FITS

I took 30 minutes to sew up a pair this evening. If I include cutting, then 35. I have made quit a few pair in the past couple of years. They are one of my favorite patterns!

th_DSCF0962.jpg
th_DSCF0973.jpg
th_DSCF0958.jpg

th_DSCF0959.jpg
th_DSCF0979.jpg
th_DSCF0980.jpg

Thanks for looking

LOVE IT ALL! But my favorite is the minnie princess! You did some beautiful work!

As you can see by my ticker I am quickly running out of time so today I started sewing for our trip.

th_IMGP6826.jpg
th_IMGP6827.jpg
th_IMGP6828.jpg

I'm so glad to finally have time to sew, we have been to a First Communion, graduation, family function every weekend for the last month or two! It's been fun but it's time to get serious...

So cute! Love your fabric choices! They are going to look so cute!

Okay, time to fess up. AFter whipping up a pair of easy fit shorts, Sara Beth told me she wanted a bucket hat to match. I bought the pattern eons ago and have never tried it out. So, I measured her head, printed out what I thought was the right size and got all the way through the outer hat when I tried it on her....WAY TOO SMALL. UGGHH! Went back to check why....When looking up the size I looked at the pages for the patterns and not the column for circumference...I made a hat for a 12-24 month old for my 7 year old! So, I have recut all the little pieces and hope to get it done tomorrow!

Question for those who have make the patchwork bucket hat...Do I really need to sew each piece to the paper and then tear it off...Or can I just sew each piece together at 1/4 inch? Seems like it was forever sewing the pieces together.

th_IMGP6826.jpg
[/IMG]

For my DGD who loves to spin I made a flouncy skirt with shorts attached and added Izzy to her shirt.

th_IMGP6827.jpg
[/IMG]

th_IMGP6828.jpg
[/IMG]

My girls are BONKERS for Izzy from J&NLP and I ADORE :love: that treasure map fabric. Where did you find that?

I'm working on my first tricky applique. Here is what I have so far. I'm planning on going around most of the pieces that I have placed on top, leaving the spots around the edge as I will finish them when I actually stitch it to the fabric that it's going onto (like a patch).

Is there anything I forgot or should do? Any tips about the smaller areas like the feet/eyes?

My open toe foot should arrive tomorrow.

IMG_3041.jpg

OK I officially give up. I have tried 3 times now to do a multi quote to get caught up and I think I messed up cause I have a cold and my head is so stuffy. I love everything I see.
So jealous of ginger's dresses they all came out so beautiful :)
The sewing room rocks!!! Super duper jealous on that!!
I have both my nieces for the past couple of weeks so I totally forget what my sewing machine looks like. I have to get busy and finish up the couple of outfits Im making for Disney since we are leaving in just over 50 days...oops :)
Just wanted to let you know that I so enjoy looking at everyones creations and all the silly banter makes me laugh.
I hope everyone has a great 4th if Im not on by then :)

th+DSCF0962.jpg

th_DSCF0958.jpg

th_DSCF0979.jpg

These turned out awesome!

th_IMGP6826.jpg

th_IMGP6827.jpg

th_IMGP6828.jpg

These are super cute - I just love the skirt fabric. :thumbsup2

I'm working on my first tricky applique. Here is what I have so far. I'm planning on going around most of the pieces that I have placed on top, leaving the spots around the edge as I will finish them when I actually stitch it to the fabric that it's going onto (like a patch).

Is there anything I forgot or should do? Any tips about the smaller areas like the feet/eyes?

My open toe foot should arrive tomorrow.

IMG_3041.jpg

Wow! :scared1: I am just wondering... when you all do appliques like this - do you trace the pattern on to the fabric? Or areyou just doing that because it's going to be similar to a patch? Just curious - since I am so new to appliqueing.

OK I officially give up. I have tried 3 times now to do a multi quote to get caught up and I think I messed up cause I have a cold and my head is so stuffy. I love everything I see.
So jealous of ginger's dresses they all came out so beautiful :)
The sewing room rocks!!! Super duper jealous on that!!
I have both my nieces for the past couple of weeks so I totally forget what my sewing machine looks like. I have to get busy and finish up the couple of outfits Im making for Disney since we are leaving in just over 50 days...oops :)
Just wanted to let you know that I so enjoy looking at everyones creations and all the silly banter makes me laugh.
I hope everyone has a great 4th if Im not on by then :)

Thanks for the compliment on my sewing room - I am so relieved it's finished - well, sort of. LOL It's great to see you and I hope you have a great 4th too. :)

I have to work today... :confused3 My "new" sewing machine is in pieces on my table... I gutted and cleaned it with kerosene yesterday. DH started rewiring it last night... He got most of it done, but he needs to run to town today to get a couple parts for the wiring - he didn't have small enough connectors. :confused3 I am going to try to soak some of the tarnished parts tonight and see if I can't get some of it off. Then I'll polish her - and hopefully have her ready to make her own cover by the end of the week. :lovestruc

I also have to run upstairs this morning and cut out a quick doll dress - I forgot that my next door neighbor's birthday is today (she will be 8) and she requested a doll dress months ago... I am so not on the ball. So, I will have to whip it up today after work. :scared1: I am hoping to get an applique done for it too... :rolleyes1

Have a great day everyone. :)

D~

TMTQ!!! I have been away too long, and quickly looked through too many pages to remember everything, but it was all inspiring. I need to finish up a skirt that I have been working on, and need some advice.

I am making the Perfectly Preppy Skort Gathered Version. I followed the directions for the bloomers, and stitched 1/4” from the folded edge, but now can't seem to get the 1/4" elastic in. The smallest safety pin that I can find won't fit through, and a bobbypin works, but doesn't hold onto the elastic long enough to get it all the way around the leg opening. I tried taping, but eventually the tape slid off, and got stuck in the casing.

I don't have a bodkin, but was wondering if anyone had anything else to try before I head out to the fabric store to get one.

Just a quick update (in case anyone thought hubby might have gone through with his threats of sending me to an assisted living facility...)

My saga with SEU continues! Even though I have some great tutorials (thanks Jill!!!) I still can't get it to do anything complicated...but I CAN add names to things now! I really need it to add the purchased fonts together to make a name, instead of just using the true type fonts or the ones that come with it...I'm not ready to give up yet...but have thought about throwing it out the window a couple of times...just to show it who is boss.

I can have a student whip up a pair of easy fits in less than an hour. This includes reading the instructions, drafting the pattern, cutting out, sewing and finishing. Remember, this is someone who is on their first or second sewing lesson. I can make a pair from start to finish in less than 30 minutes...so I don't see a problem with getting them done in 20 minutes or so...if they are already cut out. And I have also sewn them upside down once...but the Cabbage Patch doll didn't mind too much...and I did NOT redo them...the applique would have been upside down if I had. It was just added to the stash of clothes that she NEVER wears...kind of like my daughter! LOL!

I am FINALLY making something just for me (that isn't a bag!) I decided I wanted to make another super special autograph quilt...but the kiddoes said they don't want another one. I looked at some of my fabric stash and decided I want one on pale yellow...I am making 12 inch squares and putting an applique of each character I will see while at dinner. I am putting the applique in a corner to give them lots of room to sign each square. I will then use red Minnie dot fabric (from Joann's ...I don't want the dots to be too big) for the sashings and setting squares... I am so excited. So far I have all the yellow fabric cut, and have one applique finished. (Of course I chose one that took me an hour to finish!) I can't wait to get to Disney and have it signed!

(and to those who know me...this IS a quick update!)

My sewing student has cancelled for today, so I am making a quick shopping trip to Joann's and then back to work on our t shirts. Somehow I thought it would be easier this trip. I am only sewing for 4 (instead of 7) and no customs this trip...only t shirts...and only for 8 days not 12...but it seems to be taking me almost as long!

Have fun everyone and play nice...oh wait that was for the kids!

Nini

I won't bore you will many pictures but here is one of the girls with their goods just as we were leaving the store.
033-1.jpg

And when we got home the girls insisted on getting all their dolls dressed in their original clothes for a photo shoot! I'm kind of excited! Look at all these cuties I get to start sewing for....
051.jpg

Jeana
This really makes me want to go to Chicago. We haven't taken our girls to the store in a few years and would really love to take them again soon now that they are a little older. We usually take the train, but even a day trip to Chicago is NOT cheap!!!

I also have to say that your dolls look great! We have Rebecca and Emily too, but all of our curly haired dolls don't have nearly as smooth hair as yours does. How do you keep it so nice?

TMTQ! Ya'll are so busy! I can't even keep up! Been at VBS all week. Volunteered and am exhausted! Looking forward to Saturday!

!
I taught VBS all last week too and was exhausted this weekend but we had a great week!

Have any of you made the ruffled halter top from YCMT? I was thinking of buying this for my girls July 4th outfits, but it only goes up to a size 6 and my oldest is 7. She is super skinny though. How does it fit? Can I upsize it? Is it easy to make?

Check out my ticker! I'll have to post pics of the shirts I made my girls to announce to others when I get a good pic.

wow everyone has been so busy. I love it all. The cars shirt is so cute. I am getting ready to try my hand at my first bowling shirt. Wish me luck. The cruise pictures are great. The dresses are adorable. Love, love the rapunzel dress. I also just bought that material and was trying to figure out what to do with it. It is the only rapunzel material I have been able to find. Too cute. The mickey and minnie pjs I love too. I want to get some disney knit and make some for my kids to go in the surprise box when we tell them about the trip. Sewing with knit scares me a little. The pirate outfits are perfect for HS. Love the material.

I couldn't sleep last night due to a 2 hour nap yesterday so I sewed. I ended up getting my front porch swing seat cushion and 2 pillows done. Love how it turned out. I also made my dd one of the apron tie knot dresses. I need to finish the straps and I will post pictures. I LOVE the YCMT patterns. I am a self taught sewer and I amaze myself ever time I make something. I am so grateful someone was smart enough to come up with site.

Wow! :scared1: I am just wondering... when you all do appliques like this - do you trace the pattern on to the fabric? Or areyou just doing that because it's going to be similar to a patch? Just curious - since I am so new to appliqueing.

D~

No this is the first time I've traced the character. I used a carbon paper to trace. It only worked on the green and yellow, not the dark green. All of my other appliques were very simple compared to this. I just used fabric and traced a shape out of it. One was a large Stitch print and I just cut around Stitch-that was the hardest one I have done so far and this frog is much more complex.

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

And then, I whipped this up over the weekend for my DD. I have a new found respect for those of you that sew doll clothing!! Making a 6/12 month bowling shirt is NOT EASY!! And this is still bigger yet than anything someone would make for a doll! OY, the sleeves were TRICKY! Can't really tell from the pictures, but Anna's McQueen is appliquéd with sparkly red fabric :wizard:

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

I hope your son is feeling better. I really love how feminine and cute that shirt is and I think heart buttons and a sparkly McQueen are the best!

TIME YOUR EASY FITS

I know I can't cut out and sew a pair in 20 minutes and I've done enough that I don't need the directions anymore. It takes at least 10+ minutes for me to get the elastic cut, threaded, and sewn into the waistband.

DSCF0962.jpg

You are going to have blast seeing everyone wear all of your outfits. Have a magical trip!

Andrea this morning it took me 35 minutes to sew a pair that was already cut out. The other day it was about 40 so I think I was imagining it was 20 minutes LOL.

All of your stuff is just awesome.

We went to visit friends in NJ today. We had so much fun. These are our friends who are coming with us in December and surprising their son. Need to make a little list for that trip though.
There are so many of us that are in NJ, NY and PA we should arrange a lunch or something.

Thanks about the info of sale items at Hancocks! I got my directions printed out to hit Hancocks, Walmart, Disney store at the mall and the homeschool store I am officially going to VA beach for.....

And I have sewn a dress with the skirt part cute upside down....we told dd that the nemos were upside down so when she looked at them they would look the right way!

So cute! Love your fabric choices! They are going to look so cute!

.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

My girls are BONKERS for Izzy from J&NLP and I ADORE :love: that treasure map fabric. Where did you find that?

These are super cute - I just love the skirt fabric. :thumbsup2

Have a great day everyone. :)

D~

Thanks everyone, I am really happy with them too. I spent a lot of time obsessing over the fabric because I wanted it to be a pirate theme but the kids are 12mo and 3 yr so I wanted to stay away from skulls and dark colors. When I found this on feebay I was thrilled.

Check out my ticker! I'll have to post pics of the shirts I made my girls to announce to others when I get a good pic.
Congratulations!!!!

TIME YOUR EASY FITS

I have done 3 pairs that were already cut in just over an hour- I do all my ironing right after I cut them but my hems are smaller; I fold over the top casing 1/4 and then 1 inch, and the bottom hem 1/2 twice. I've done so many that I can eyeball pretty accurately the 1/4 and 1/2 so I don't use a template, just the metal template for the 1". I don't pin them either, just lay them together, do each seam, turn 90 degrees in my chair, serge each seam. when those two are done I turn over my hems top and both legs and sew them (also not pinning because the iron did a good job of setting them in place). I leave a spot open in the top for the elastic. I thread the elastic through assembly line style if doing several, and then sew the elastic and close by machine. Probably not very clear, but hopefully it makes sense.

On a personal note, I would really prefer if possible that we not use the R word here. As the mom of a kiddo and sister of a man with an intellectual disability, I find it really offensive and hurtful. I don't mean toward you specifically, just the word really hurts. Thanks:flower3:

Hi guys! I'm not really sewing this week as I am trying to teach potty to DD. But I'm lurking and I love the "new" vintage machine and all the outfits posted. I can't believe that someone made like ?17 outfits in 5 days:cheer2: sounds like something I would do if I set my mind to it. I've never made easy fits (though I'd love to buy the pattern) and I hope too soon.....I think 20 min is doable though if you've made it before and you have them cut out....I can make bloomers with leg and waist elastic in that amount of time, and no I never pin wovens unless I'm doing lots of curved seams or ruffles. Hope you guys all have a great week! Lets hope my DD gets the potty soon.....I'd love her to start preschool at least with the general idea, even if not yet accident free:rotfl:

Wish me luck! I'm going to put the kids down, then go attempt to put that finger thing back on my serger so I can give it a try!, :cool1: if I get it going, I'm FINALLY going to get started on the roll up pants for DS. I taught VBS all week, so I'm dying to get back to my machine(s).

Send sewing good vibes my way! :lmao:
:banana::banana::banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter