Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you don't have to put the elastic. Personally, I dont think I like them with the elastic, so I don't use it either.

Thanks! I didn't think you'd have too. I'm not crazy about the look either. Plus I think it would interfere with appliques!

Hello!
A friend of mine is looking for someone who makes custom Disney pin trading lanyards. Maybe something with a Star Wars theme?
I can't find anyone. I figured I'd bring my question to you folks!
:0)
Thanks!
Sarah

Hi there! I have never been able to find them either. I bought a TON of lanyard material a while back when it was on sale, but still haven't gotten around to listing any. I plan on doing it after mid May. I don't think I have any Star wars themed material though, maybe Cars. Still if you have any questions/interest, just PM me.

For some reason I am unable to use the quotes so I will just put it here!

The first question:

I do! I stitch all of my appliques onto felt and then heat and bond them to the outfit and then sew them on. I do this for many reasons but the main one is because when I applique on Tees my girls refuse to wear them because they are itchy. I have tried the soft backing and such but they still swear it itches them. This way the thread is not touching their skin in any way other then the running line. It is not bunky and does not leave the tiny holes that sometimes happen on knit even with a knit needle!

Another reason why I do this is because it seals the threads in the heat and bond and ensures that the thread does not come undone. I have had outfits where that has happened and after all the work that goes into them it is sad to see it happen! I have never had it happen with this way!

Also, it allows me to get appliques in places where I could not with my machine and also allows me to use larger appliques in smaller places because I will have moer flexability when I use my sewing machine to attach it!

And it is divasdoodles oops thats a bit different the dumplingdoodles sorry!

Thank you for the kind words on my sets!

For some reason I am unable to use the quotes so I will just put it here!

The first question:

I do! I stitch all of my appliques onto felt and then heat and bond them to the outfit and then sew them on. I do this for many reasons but the main one is because when I applique on Tees my girls refuse to wear them because they are itchy. I have tried the soft backing and such but they still swear it itches them. This way the thread is not touching their skin in any way other then the running line. It is not bunky and does not leave the tiny holes that sometimes happen on knit even with a knit needle!

Another reason why I do this is because it seals the threads in the heat and bond and ensures that the thread does not come undone. I have had outfits where that has happened and after all the work that goes into them it is sad to see it happen! I have never had it happen with this way!

Also, it allows me to get appliques in places where I could not with my machine and also allows me to use larger appliques in smaller places because I will have moer flexability when I use my sewing machine to attach it!

And it is divasdoodles oops thats a bit different the dumplingdoodles sorry!

Thank you for the kind words on my sets!

I love all of your creations, they are beautiful!

You are so clever using felt.

Do you have a preference to the heat and bond, and the felt that you use?

Thanks,
Marianne

I love all of your creations, they are beautiful!

You are so clever using felt.

Do you have a preference to the heat and bond, and the felt that you use?

Thanks,
Marianne

Thank you Marianne! You are so sweet! I use heeat and bond lite. Anything else i have found will gum up your needle and could make a mess inside of your machine! As for the felt, I buy it by the yard at Joanns. If I need a color, I use the felt sheets they sell for .20 cents. I have never had any issues with them at all! I have washed the items over and over again before selling trying to see how it held up and it does great! I did not place it in the dryer becuase I do not dry anything so if you do I would suggest trying it first but they have held up perfectly and it solved a big issue with the itching! I know sometimes they do need a run under the iron on the back of the design but what doesnt?

One thing I learned however is DO NOT iron over the design on the right side because the thread could melt (oops!) or it could become discolored. I add the heat n bond and iron it to the back. Then I pin it in place and iron the inside of the item to attach it. This way it is secure and the front is still beautiful!

Another tidbit to add in is that you honestly do not have to stitch it on! You could use the Heat and Bond regular or heavy and not sew them on if it isnt something you will be selling. I have done this way as well. never placed in the dryer so I cant speak for that!

Oh one more thing! When you trim the applique design from the felt leave a tiny bit to sew on down if you will be using this method!

Always happy to help :):flower3:

I FINALLY finished my two projects. The shirt is for a girl scout outing we're going on this weekend in Savannah. I haven't hemmed it quite yet because it's a little too big on her so I'm going to have to take it in. And I don't think I would do the gathering on the straps next time. I guess I've learned the hard way that store bought patterns run a little bigger than store bought clothes.

GSAquarium293.jpg
GSAquarium296.jpg

I'm always looking for something for Big Gives. I thought these would be neat to do for families with strollers. It was a lot more work than I expected and took me about 3 weeks. I thought I would be cutesy and MAKE the bias tape out of coordinating fabric instead of using store bought. I don't think I'll do that again. It took FOREVER! And I about threw it in the trash because it took me a minute to figure out how in the world the bottle holder pocket worked.. the directions were pretty useless and had to wing it. I have a little one so I don't get to really sew but about once a week. I think it would be a lot quicker without making my own bias tape.

GSAquarium290.jpg
GSAquarium292.jpg

I'm washing all my fabric for Big Gives and GKTW pillowcases so I can get started on them. :)

Hope everyone is having a great week. (Still praying for everyone who has requested prayers!)

I also have some fun finds!!

I bought these at Wal-mart in the office supply section. I figured I could use one for my upcoming trip planner and one to keep all my Big Give information together. My memory is awful for sizes and who likes which characters.

GSAquarium230.jpg

And then I actually found this at the Dollar Store... It's full of a lot of good info about stabilizers and so forth. I thought it might have some info about hand applique but it doesn't. I was a little bummed but for a $1 oh well. Hopefully it'll sit beside a new embroidery machine one day.

I'm such a dork. :D

GSAquarium297.jpg

Some of the designs were digitized by dumplingduds maybe? and some by me.

I think I am in the big give group but i do not remember my information. How would I look that up and whats the link for the group? I would be happy to do some outfits for a big give :) I am terrible with time limits so I would need someone to get on me about it lol

You can click on the Big Give Group links in people's signatures and it will take you to the site!! Let me know if you need me to check anything over there for you!!

Thank you Marianne! You are so sweet! I use heeat and bond lite. Anything else i have found will gum up your needle and could make a mess inside of your machine! As for the felt, I buy it by the yard at Joanns. If I need a color, I use the felt sheets they sell for .20 cents. I have never had any issues with them at all! I have washed the items over and over again before selling trying to see how it held up and it does great! I did not place it in the dryer becuase I do not dry anything so if you do I would suggest trying it first but they have held up perfectly and it solved a big issue with the itching! I know sometimes they do need a run under the iron on the back of the design but what doesnt?

One thing I learned however is DO NOT iron over the design on the right side because the thread could melt (oops!) or it could become discolored. I add the heat n bond and iron it to the back. Then I pin it in place and iron the inside of the item to attach it. This way it is secure and the front is still beautiful!

Another tidbit to add in is that you honestly do not have to stitch it on! You could use the Heat and Bond regular or heavy and not sew them on if it isnt something you will be selling. I have done this way as well. never placed in the dryer so I cant speak for that!

Oh one more thing! When you trim the applique design from the felt leave a tiny bit to sew on down if you will be using this method!

Thank you for the felt, and heat and bond recommendation. I never would have thought to applique on felt and then sew it on the garment.

Take care,
Marianne

I FINALLY finished my two projects. The shirt is for a girl scout outing we're going on this weekend in Savannah. I haven't hemmed it quite yet because it's a little too big on her so I'm going to have to take it in. And I don't think I would do the gathering on the straps next time. I guess I've learned the hard way that store bought patterns run a little bigger than store bought clothes.

GSAquarium293.jpg
GSAquarium296.jpg

I'm always looking for something for Big Gives. I thought these would be neat to do for families with strollers. It was a lot more work than I expected and took me about 3 weeks. I thought I would be cutesy and MAKE the bias tape out of coordinating fabric instead of using store bought. I don't think I'll do that again. It took FOREVER! And I about threw it in the trash because it took me a minute to figure out how in the world the bottle holder pocket worked.. the directions were pretty useless and had to wing it. I have a little one so I don't get to really sew but about once a week. I think it would be a lot quicker without making my own bias tape.

GSAquarium290.jpg
GSAquarium292.jpg

I'm washing all my fabric for Big Gives and GKTW pillowcases so I can get started on them. :)

Hope everyone is having a great week. (Still praying for everyone who has requested prayers!)

Very cute!

I love the girls scout shirt, I made my grandaughter pj bottoms for a sleepover with that fabric.

Your stroller organizer is adorable, love the fabric.

Take care,
Marianne

I don't sew, :scared:

We are going to Disneyworld (shhh... it's a surprise!) for the week after Christmas. My 4 year old daughter will be ecstatic.

I would love to buy some handmade outfits, do you guys sell your items? Or do you resell them once yours have outgrown them?

I can't spend a fortune on them, I was thinking 20-30 per outfit, maybe.

PM me or email me, let me know.

The members can't advertise due to the Disboard policy but there are members who have Etsy Ids in their signature which might be able to help you

There is a resell group on facebook.

Piper, Piper, Piper...every time I do a Simply Sweet, I think the exact same thing...because it is what my grandmother's voice is telling me to do. (but of course I usually end up ignoring that advice!)

Are you sure you aren't my grandmother?

(of course...if she were alive today she would be over 100..so I guess you can't really be her; but it IS a nice thought!)

Nini

Sometimes I feel like I am 100 instead of 66--does that count?

Oh boy, you sound like a "real" seamstress! I certainly am not. I don't think I've ever hand sewn anything! This sounds like a fantastic idea though. Is the lining long enough to cover the entire seam? If I hand stitch it, will it stay together??? :confused3 . I'm really going to give this a try because it sounds like the perfect solution. I just have a feeling that it's definately going to take me more than "a few minutes" to do it though!!!!

Hand sewing isn't difficult and it stays in with no problems. The first time you make it, you might want to make that edge of the lining a little longer ('til you get used to it.) It works fine the way it is though.

Hi Everyone!!

I finally finished my 2 wrap dresses for the girls! I did Hannahs (pink trim) first and then did Elizabeths, using some of Carla's strategy's!! lol....Im so worried they wont fit the girls right. They look kinda low cut??? They are going to wear them this weekend at their Big Brother and Sister in Law's graduation from College. Im packing my needle and thread and some safety pins!!! lol..Also made some eye spy bags to help with the long ride out to Cedarville, OH.
102_3258.jpg

102_3257.jpg

102_3256.jpg

102_3255.jpg

Wendy,
I just love the wrap dress. Which pattern did you use. I never tried the eye spy bags but don't have a reason. That and getting supplies is a LONG way away. Have a great trip.

Thanks a MILLION Candice :hug:

I don't sew, :scared:

We are going to Disneyworld (shhh... it's a surprise!) for the week after Christmas. My 4 year old daughter will be ecstatic.

I would love to buy some handmade outfits, do you guys sell your items? Or do you resell them once yours have outgrown them?

I can't spend a fortune on them, I was thinking 20-30 per outfit, maybe.

PM me or email me, let me know.

If you see something you like PM the person who made it and you can ask them, but privately, not public.

I also have some fun finds!!

I bought these at Wal-mart in the office supply section. I figured I could use one for my upcoming trip planner and one to keep all my Big Give information together. My memory is awful for sizes and who likes which characters.

GSAquarium230.jpg

And then I actually found this at the Dollar Store... It's full of a lot of good info about stabilizers and so forth. I thought it might have some info about hand applique but it doesn't. I was a little bummed but for a $1 oh well. Hopefully it'll sit beside a new embroidery machine one day.

I'm such a dork. :D

GSAquarium297.jpg

Great find on the tablets and book.

I went to Hancock Fabric today. I don't go there too often since Joanns is closer and bigger. I found some really cute Supergirl fabric for $1 per yard. I see some pajamas pants in my girls' future. I am hoping to have enough to whip up a little matching nightie for my niece too. They had some cute flannel for $2 per yard but nothing plain for GKTW pillows. I still have to make mine up with the fabric I bought at Joanns anyhow. Thursday I am going to stop into Rugged Warehouse to find a couple of plain t-shirts to go with the super girl pajamas. I got a flier saying that they had plain t-shirts for $2.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter