Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that just gave me some ideas of how to get them to the fabric store this summer! Kids, would you rather do some lessons to prepare for the upcoming school year or go to Joann's??? Actually, dh will NOT be deployed this summer and should have better hours, so I should be able to sneak away in the evening. Of course I'll probably have to limit that to one evening or so a week. Sometimes I hit 6 fabric places in one day -- we have three Hanacock's, two Joanne's and Walmart! It can be an all day event.

I am sooooooo glad you get your machine back today! I know what you're going to be doing all day today.

UGH...actually I WON'T be sewing today! I am leaving at 9am, driving all the way across Atlanta, and won't be getting back until around 1. Then, today is one of DS therapy appointments, so I have to pick him up by 2 and drive the opposite way to therapy. Then Grand daughter is spending the night with me.

So, I am thinking tomorrow morning I will be closing myself of in the studio and DARING anyone to bug me!

Nini

I just love the outfits and think they would be good for give.
Who is the digitizer for the princess appliques?

Some of the designs were digitized by dumplingduds maybe? and some by me.

I think I am in the big give group but i do not remember my information. How would I look that up and whats the link for the group? I would be happy to do some outfits for a big give :) I am terrible with time limits so I would need someone to get on me about it lol

oops! Forgot to add a thank you for all of the nice things said about my outfits!!

Also, I wrote up easy to follow directions for the Insa skirt for a fellow Diser. If anyone would be intrested, I would be happy to post them here. Just wanted to see if anyone was intrested before posting them. I didnt include pictures but I could if that would make it easier! It really is a simple to make skirt but the directions are not always very clear. I used the hard copy pattern and not the pattern from the book so I am not sure if they are easier but I thought Id toss that out there if it would be helpful for anyone!

For anyone interested in making pillows for GKTW....

Joann's has flannel on sale 50% off this Saturday only (I am sure most of you got that flyer! :))....so for a little over $2.50 (I am sure all you folks have 12" of novelty fabric laying around!) you can make 4 pillows!

Lynn

. . . and for anyone making pillows, don't forget to tell how many. We're keeping track on the big give board just like we did for the blankets for Haiti.

Yes, I saw that. My problem is getting to the fabric store on a Saturday! I have much better luck going when the kids are in school. I wish it was on sale all week! Also, I wish GKTW didn't require a solid fabric -- I love coordinating patterns. I'll try to sneak out on Sat and get some if my schedule can afford me to -- our soccer game is right in the middle of the day!

I'm still curious about exactly how the pillows are used. In the information it says kids "make" a pillow. I wonder if they do any writing or drawing on the solid part???

Actually, dh will NOT be deployed this summer and should have better hours,

:banana: :banana: :banana:

This is the tutorial I use. however I alter all the measurements and add a handle:
http://ajpadilla.com/reduce-reuse-recycle/i-spy-bag

1. Cut a piece of transparent vinyl 3.5" square. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 3.5". I make my vinyl 5x5 inches when I cut it and my resulting window size is 3.5 x 3.5. I make these two pieces of fabric 5.5 x 6" though you could just do 6x6 for ease.

2. Using a 1/4" seam, sew the two pieces of fabric to two sides of the vinyl. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.
I fold my 5.5 x 6 piece of fabric in half to make it 5.5 x 3 inches. Iron the fold. Iron under 1/2 inch on each of the 5.5" raw edges. My pic is blurry -- I was going to attempt to do a tut but I have to redo it but hopefully these pics helps you understand
019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

I do not sew the the pieces to the vinyl. I adhere them to the vinyl with wash away wonder tape and top stitch 1/8 and 1/4 inches from the edges. For the first piece don't worry exactly about vinyl placement, but when you sew the second side on you make sure the vinyl is 3.5" across. In the example I am doing I made a 4" window, but now I do 3.5"This photo is adhereing with wonder under tape:
037.jpg

And this is finished stitches:
038.jpg

3. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 6.5" Sew to the other two sides of the vinyl + short strips. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.I cut these pieces 9x6 inches. I fold and press so they become 9x3". Then I fold under 1/2" on the raw edge of the 9" side and attach to the fabric and vinyl. Here I just pin to the existing fabric rather than using tape. This photo gives you and idea of the assembly:
041.jpg

4. Cut a piece of fabric 6.5" square. (Or join strips of several fabrics and trim down to a 6.5" square.)

I make my fabric 8.5 x 8.5 inches for a 3.5 x 3.5 window (just adjust this to the size window you make). Sometimes I also put a lining in the bag -- just make that the same size. My handle measurements are 3.5 x 11' . I actually make the handle first thing so it's ready to go. I fold it in half and press and fold each raw long edge under 1/2" and top stitch along both ends. I assemble my bag as such pinning the handle at the top and leaving an opening at the bottom to turn inside out and fill. First I place my lining down, then fashion fabric, then handle, then vinyl piece:
051-1.jpg

Sew TWICE for security (again leave an opening at the bottom) and double back at least once on the handles. Turn bag inside out. Assemble trinkets and take photo and make a list. Put trinkets in bag. Fill with approximately 16 oz of pellets (this may vary depending on the size you like to make your bags). Then topstitch the entire bottom of the bag TWICE. I thn print my picture and list and put them between clear contact paper (though vinyl sealing would be more durable), hole punch that and tie it to the handle with a coordinating ribbon.

Trinkets I use:
065.jpg

That chain is a ceiling fan chain (cheaper than buying a craft chain) and I cut it into about 1 inch pieces.
064.jpg

Get things at the dollar store, walmart, target's one dollar section, tiny hair bands, pennies and nickles, coated paper clips, legos, beads, buttons. Those cute button packs are awesome to use -- I buy them when they are 2 for 1 or 50% off. Use coupons from Michaels or ACMoore to buy bead packs of cute things -- like my seashell and fish themed colorful beads came from Michaels in the toy section/kid's craft area. I read you can use a safety pin if you glue it shut. Look for party favor trinkets. Lightweight things like pom-poms are easy to find. The hex nuts are almost impossible to find. We have never found the hex nut in my dd's bag and my ds found his only once. Heavier things are harder to find. White buttons that match the color of the fill can be challenging too. I now put at least 40 items in the bag.

This is the fill I use. I am very LUCKY and get it at Walmart for $4.97. My Joann's does not sell it. Hancock's sells it for the same price for an 8 ounce bag (I get 32 oz at Walmart). I have not looked to see if Michaels or ACMoore carries it.
073.jpg

Sorry if my instructions are as clear as mud. I just did things to make it easier to sew on the vinyl and a size I was happier with. I wouldn't make the bags any larger than 8.5 x 8.5. Smaller may be nicer because they'd be lighterweight, but my kids are happy with the ones I made them which were 9x9 (turn out a little smaller once sewn).

Here is a finished bag I made for a friend (it has a 4x4 window):
026-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

And sorry if photos are all different sizes -- I find resizing in photobucket to not be very user friendly.

Someday I'll try to get better pics and do a proper tutorial.

Thank you for doing this!

oops! Forgot to add a thank you for all of the nice things said about my outfits!!

Also, I wrote up easy to follow directions for the Insa skirt for a fellow Diser. If anyone would be intrested, I would be happy to post them here. Just wanted to see if anyone was intrested before posting them. I didnt include pictures but I could if that would make it easier! It really is a simple to make skirt but the directions are not always very clear. I used the hard copy pattern and not the pattern from the book so I am not sure if they are easier but I thought Id toss that out there if it would be helpful for anyone!
I would :love:LOVE:love: if you posted them. If you don't could you pretty please at least PM them to me. I am in no hurry -- I'd be shocked if I started one before July! It's very kind of you to do this.

UGH...actually I WON'T be sewing today! I am leaving at 9am, driving all the way across Atlanta, and won't be getting back until around 1. Then, today is one of DS therapy appointments, so I have to pick him up by 2 and drive the opposite way to therapy. Then Grand daughter is spending the night with me.

So, I am thinking tomorrow morning I will be closing myself of in the studio and DARING anyone to bug me!

Nini
Oh that's just not right! You HAVE to use it TODAY!!!!

. . . and for anyone making pillows, don't forget to tell how many. We're keeping track on the big give board just like we did for the blankets for Haiti.

I'm still curious about exactly how the pillows are used. In the information it says kids "make" a pillow. I wonder if they do any writing or drawing on the solid part???
I saw someone getting them on a Wish Trip report and I can't remember whose report I was reading. Grrrr!!!! I think it was for a give I did not participate in. I'll have to do a little searching and see waht I can find out. If i find the pics I can ask the mom about them.

Thank you for doing this!
You're welcome -- I wanted to do a good tut with lots of pics but half my pics are blurry. It's hard holding my camera steady with one hand as my other hand was in a lot of the photos. Plus I goofed on a thing or two as I hadn't made one in awhile. I just need to make another one while they are fresh in my head and take proper pics and repost.

Andrea- Thank you so much for the Eye Spy tutorial. You make it look fairly simple! ;)

Andrea great tutorial.

Watched the royal wedding this morning since I wasn't sleeping well.

I have been toting my sewing machine back and forth to work everyday this week, my mom is finally coming in to use it. I also have a big weekend of projects to do this weekend

I saw someone getting them on a Wish Trip report and I can't remember whose report I was reading. Grrrr!!!! I think it was for a give I did not participate in. I'll have to do a little searching and see waht I can find out. If i find the pics I can ask the mom about them.

I read a report a while ago from a friend who had toured Give Kids The World. He said that there was a big machine, like a stage prop. It appears to be making a pillow for the child who is using it, but it really just dispenses the finished pillow. I don't remember if there's actually someone inside choosing boy or girl style pillows, an attendant who takes care of it, or if the machine really works enough to do that by way of pushing a button or something. I think it was an attendant, but it wasn't like Build A Bear where the kids actually pick out the options themselves.

Hope that answers your question!

Lori in East Podunk

Hi all,

Sorry if this had been posted but I just wanted to let you all know that the folks over at fairytale frocks and lollipops are donating all the proceeds from select E-pattern designers to aid those who were effected by the storms that ripped through the south. Some of designers are Olabelhe, scientific seamstress, Sis Boom and some others. This is a really easy way to help out and who doesn't like a new pattern to play with.

These are the easy directions I wrote up for a fellow Diser. I am sure everyone makes the skirt differently however this is the way I make the skirt and have found it was very easy this way. I honestly have never once read the directions that came with the book or skirt because I, Well I hate to read directions for ANYTHING lol Im a trial and error kinda gal I guess. Anyway, here they are! I will be making some more of these skirts on Monday so if it would help anyone Id be happy to take some pictures while making it. Also, I am sure I can write up some easier directions for the feliz with pics as well but there is already a good tute for that one but hey if it helps IM willing to make a go at it, just let me know! I do do several things differently then the patterns but they are only to make it easier!

First determine your size. I strongly suggest using measurments and not so much the size of the skirt because there is not much wiggle room in these as they do not have any give that the hips and not much room to stretch at the waist at all!

Cut out 4 of each of the skirt top and skirt bottom pcs. (8 total 4 for the top layer 4 for the bottom layer)

Cut out the waist band. I ALWAYS cut then in half. The waistband is huge but I am not a huge fan of larger drop waists so I use the pattern pcs as a template but I cut it in half length wise :) so it does not reach my daughters ankles!

Once you complete this you will finish the sides of all 4 of your top and bottom pattern pcs. I have a serger and I just do the sides of each pcs.

You then sew the 4 top layer skirt pcs together with your sewing machine then do the same for the bottom.

Press the seams open and topstitch each to the side of the panel.

Sew your waistband together at the sides to form a circle.

I always do the casing for the elastic here because i think it is easier :) So I finish the top edge of the waistband and then I fold it over depending on the size elastic I am using and stitch it in place leaving a small opening for the elastic to go in.

Now here is where you need to pin pin and pin some more.

You will take the top layer of the skirt and place it overtop of the bottom layer with the wrong side of the top layer facing the right side of the bottom layer (Basicly how it will look when it is finished. I normally use a basting stitch and stitch them together to avoid one slipping out on the next step.

Next you will turn the waistband inside out and place the wrong side of the waistband over top of the right side of the skirt portion with the raw edges touching.

I Sew it first then finish the seam. Press the seam allowence to the top and topstitch. INsert the elastic and sew up the hole.

You can choose to either finish with ruffles or hem. Either way it looks super cute!

These are the easy directions I wrote up for a fellow Diser. I am sure everyone makes the skirt differently however this is the way I make the skirt and have found it was very easy this way. I honestly have never once read the directions that came with the book or skirt because I, Well I hate to read directions for ANYTHING lol Im a trial and error kinda gal I guess. Anyway, here they are! I will be making some more of these skirts on Monday so if it would help anyone Id be happy to take some pictures while making it. Also, I am sure I can write up some easier directions for the feliz with pics as well but there is already a good tute for that one but hey if it helps IM willing to make a go at it, just let me know! I do do several things differently then the patterns but they are only to make it easier!

First determine your size. I strongly suggest using measurments and not so much the size of the skirt because there is not much wiggle room in these as they do not have any give that the hips and not much room to stretch at the waist at all!

Cut out 4 of each of the skirt top and skirt bottom pcs. (8 total 4 for the top layer 4 for the bottom layer)

Cut out the waist band. I ALWAYS cut then in half. The waistband is huge but I am not a huge fan of larger drop waists so I use the pattern pcs as a template but I cut it in half length wise :) so it does not reach my daughters ankles!

Once you complete this you will finish the sides of all 4 of your top and bottom pattern pcs. I have a serger and I just do the sides of each pcs.

You then sew the 4 top layer skirt pcs together with your sewing machine then do the same for the bottom.

Press the seams open and topstitch each to the side of the panel.

Sew your waistband together at the sides to form a circle.

I always do the casing for the elastic here because i think it is easier :) So I finish the top edge of the waistband and then I fold it over depending on the size elastic I am using and stitch it in place leaving a small opening for the elastic to go in.

Now here is where you need to pin pin and pin some more.

You will take the top layer of the skirt and place it overtop of the bottom layer with the wrong side of the top layer facing the right side of the bottom layer (Basicly how it will look when it is finished. I normally use a basting stitch and stitch them together to avoid one slipping out on the next step.

Next you will turn the waistband inside out and place the wrong side of the waistband over top of the right side of the skirt portion with the raw edges touching.

I Sew it first then finish the seam. Press the seam allowence to the top and topstitch. INsert the elastic and sew up the hole.

You can choose to either finish with ruffles or hem. Either way it looks super cute!

Wahoo!! I have to save this now!
Thanks so much

This is the tutorial I use. however I alter all the measurements and add a handle:
http://ajpadilla.com/reduce-reuse-recycle/i-spy-bag

1. Cut a piece of transparent vinyl 3.5" square. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 3.5". I make my vinyl 5x5 inches when I cut it and my resulting window size is 3.5 x 3.5. I make these two pieces of fabric 5.5 x 6" though you could just do 6x6 for ease.

2. Using a 1/4" seam, sew the two pieces of fabric to two sides of the vinyl. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.
I fold my 5.5 x 6 piece of fabric in half to make it 5.5 x 3 inches. Iron the fold. Iron under 1/2 inch on each of the 5.5" raw edges. My pic is blurry -- I was going to attempt to do a tut but I have to redo it but hopefully these pics helps you understand
019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

I do not sew the the pieces to the vinyl. I adhere them to the vinyl with wash away wonder tape and top stitch 1/8 and 1/4 inches from the edges. For the first piece don't worry exactly about vinyl placement, but when you sew the second side on you make sure the vinyl is 3.5" across. In the example I am doing I made a 4" window, but now I do 3.5"This photo is adhereing with wonder under tape:
037.jpg

And this is finished stitches:
038.jpg

3. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 6.5" Sew to the other two sides of the vinyl + short strips. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.I cut these pieces 9x6 inches. I fold and press so they become 9x3". Then I fold under 1/2" on the raw edge of the 9" side and attach to the fabric and vinyl. Here I just pin to the existing fabric rather than using tape. This photo gives you and idea of the assembly:
041.jpg

4. Cut a piece of fabric 6.5" square. (Or join strips of several fabrics and trim down to a 6.5" square.)

I make my fabric 8.5 x 8.5 inches for a 3.5 x 3.5 window (just adjust this to the size window you make). Sometimes I also put a lining in the bag -- just make that the same size. My handle measurements are 3.5 x 11' . I actually make the handle first thing so it's ready to go. I fold it in half and press and fold each raw long edge under 1/2" and top stitch along both ends. I assemble my bag as such pinning the handle at the top and leaving an opening at the bottom to turn inside out and fill. First I place my lining down, then fashion fabric, then handle, then vinyl piece:
051-1.jpg

Sew TWICE for security (again leave an opening at the bottom) and double back at least once on the handles. Turn bag inside out. Assemble trinkets and take photo and make a list. Put trinkets in bag. Fill with approximately 16 oz of pellets (this may vary depending on the size you like to make your bags). Then topstitch the entire bottom of the bag TWICE. I thn print my picture and list and put them between clear contact paper (though vinyl sealing would be more durable), hole punch that and tie it to the handle with a coordinating ribbon.

Trinkets I use:
065.jpg

That chain is a ceiling fan chain (cheaper than buying a craft chain) and I cut it into about 1 inch pieces.
064.jpg

Get things at the dollar store, walmart, target's one dollar section, tiny hair bands, pennies and nickles, coated paper clips, legos, beads, buttons. Those cute button packs are awesome to use -- I buy them when they are 2 for 1 or 50% off. Use coupons from Michaels or ACMoore to buy bead packs of cute things -- like my seashell and fish themed colorful beads came from Michaels in the toy section/kid's craft area. I read you can use a safety pin if you glue it shut. Look for party favor trinkets. Lightweight things like pom-poms are easy to find. The hex nuts are almost impossible to find. We have never found the hex nut in my dd's bag and my ds found his only once. Heavier things are harder to find. White buttons that match the color of the fill can be challenging too. I now put at least 40 items in the bag.

This is the fill I use. I am very LUCKY and get it at Walmart for $4.97. My Joann's does not sell it. Hancock's sells it for the same price for an 8 ounce bag (I get 32 oz at Walmart). I have not looked to see if Michaels or ACMoore carries it.
073.jpg

Sorry if my instructions are as clear as mud. I just did things to make it easier to sew on the vinyl and a size I was happier with. I wouldn't make the bags any larger than 8.5 x 8.5. Smaller may be nicer because they'd be lighterweight, but my kids are happy with the ones I made them which were 9x9 (turn out a little smaller once sewn).

Here is a finished bag I made for a friend (it has a 4x4 window):
026-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

And sorry if photos are all different sizes -- I find resizing in photobucket to not be very user friendly.

Someday I'll try to get better pics and do a proper tutorial.

Awesome. The pics look great!!

I forgot to mention that before you sew your waistband to the skirt portion make sure it fits!!! If not, it is MUCH easier to adjust at this step then when you have it together and are so close to being finished! I have had some waistbands that I have had to recut because they were to small for one reason or another or some that I had to trim a little off of. I guess it depends on the deal allowence you are using when you trace the pattern as well as then you sew it together but it is am IMPORTANT thing I left out!

Sorry!!!!

Andrea!!! The tutorial is AWESOME!! Thank you so much!!!

Nini - all I can say is - "Welcome Home Bubba, Welcome Home"

The kids kind of just get the pillow at GKTW - they dont actually get to "make it". There is this tree and you can see things moving around and then a pillow pops out (this is what my 11 yo nephew told me from his brothers trip last year).

Weekend is ALMOST HERE!!! I have to do 2 wrap dresses this weekend!!! and maybe some eye spy bags. We could really use those for therapy here at work!!! ooh, they would be good for quiet time at camp too!!! I think I'd have a ball with it myself!!!!

:hippie:

Just made it back from picking up Bubba. I am so angry! Other than a good cleaning, there was nothing wrong with it...except for what Brother TOLD me to do to fix the problem.

The bobbin tension was too tight, so I loosened as per the instructions from Brother. What was actually wrong was a speck of lint in the tensioning disks. No matter how loose I made the tension, I would NEVER be able to fix it! LOL

I also bought the cap hoopster for my machine while I was there. I might just attempt a cap sometime this weekend...as if I wasn't already behind enough!

I guess I'd better feed the grand daughter now, so we can leave soon for therapy...

Nini

Today wraps up princess week for me. I know Alice is not a princess but she is British. Plus she is my favorite!

229674_219852518029083_210534112294257_986218_7809774_n.jpg

Today wraps up princess week for me. I know Alice is not a princess but she is British. Plus she is my favorite!

229674_219852518029083_210534112294257_986218_7809774_n.jpg

That's adorable!! I'd say it's my favorite, but I'm sure I'll be taking that back with your next photo post :cutie:

Hi Everyone,

Just lost my multi-quote...it would take forever for me to try it again.

I hope everyones prayers have been answered, and a special prayer goes to the families that are dealing with the aftermath left by the tornado's.

I love all the new outfits! Everyone is so creative. Whenever I see your designs they inspire me.

VBAndrea and candicenicole19...Thank you for the tutorials.

lynnanddbyz ...HSN has a heavy duty machine that I bought a couple of years ago. The Singer Heavy Duty Professional Sewing Machine it's a work horse, and the one I use the most. It isn't fancy with only a 10 stitch pattern, I use my other machine if I want to use fancy stitches. What sold me on this machine was the speed, stainless steel bed plate, clear acrylic quilter table with 16" ruler imprint that helps you sew large bulky projects easily, and the ability to go through canvas, denim and home dec. fabric.

mphalens...You had a great shopping spree at Hobby Lobby. I need to get there tomorrow and pick up a few things.

Take care,
Marianne

Here are some of the outfits I've been working on.

Dinner at Garden Grill:

DSCF0758.jpg

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0760.jpg

DSCF0752.jpg

DSCF0753.jpg

Back of Skirt: I only used 1 ruffle for the Audrey Skirt
DSCF0748.jpg

Yo Ho Ho...
DSCF0799.jpg

DSCF0800.jpg

DSCF0801.jpg

DHS day:
DSCF0813.jpg

DSCF0815.jpg

Breakfast at Ohana's:
DSCF0811.jpg

DSCF0809.jpg

Here are some Easter shirts I made:
DSCF0766.jpg

Still have more to finish and only 82 days left:scared1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter