Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a side note: PINK HAIR WOULD HAVE BEEN OKAY!! Let them do it!!
;)

When my son was in high school he asked what I would say if he dyed his hair blue. I said I would say we must be giving him too much allowance if he can afford to buy hair dye. When he got his first job he finally got himself some blue hair!

Thanks :) I figured they were tinier than a regular pillow case based on the fabric requirements but just couldn't picture in my mind what size they were. Someone on the BG board was asking for my detailed instructions. I tried c/p your tut but it wouldn't copy the pics so I just posted a link there to your tut on part 24 -- I hope you don't mind. Please let me know if you do and I'll remove my post.

That's fine. I'm glad to see someone is interested in making them. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I would love to make eye spy bags for the big gives, Is there an easy tutorial
includig what kind of plastic and filler is used?
Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great ideas.
You are an amazing group of women and 2 guys?

EEK. I couldn't find the link for the one I've used many times. :confused3 I'll keep looking and get back to you.

ooohh, that'd be so awesome!! We could really use them for Perrin's big give! His mom thought they'd love them, but so far no one has signed up to make them. AboveH2O and VBAndrea are master's along with quite a few others!! Let me know if you'd like to do them for Perrin's big give!!

Would anyone want to make our Star Wars lovin Perrin a Jedi Robe??? He'd be beside himself with excitement!!!!???? Or a Disney Diaper bag/dipey wipey bag for the baby Alek????

ooohh, that'd be so awesome!! We could really use them for Perrin's big give! His mom thought they'd love them, but so far no one has signed up to make them. AboveH2O and VBAndrea are master's along with quite a few others!! Let me know if you'd like to do them for Perrin's big give!!

Would anyone want to make our Star Wars lovin Perrin a Jedi Robe??? He'd be beside himself with excitement!!!!???? Or a Disney Diaper bag/dipey wipey bag for the baby Alek????

Wendy I would love to BUT I don't think I can do it before ship date.
Once I learn how I will make some ahead of time so they are ready

Wendy I would love to BUT I don't think I can do it before ship date.
Once I learn how I will make some ahead of time so they are ready

Awww - thanks so much for being willing though!!!! Thats a GREAT idea!!!

2 things I know - start purchasing those bags of the pellets from Joann's with your coupons for the filler!! And, whenever you see anything small that would fit inside - snag it!!!:rotfl:

2 things I know - start purchasing those bags of the pellets from Joann's with your coupons for the filler!! And, whenever you see anything small that would fit inside - snag it!!!:rotfl:

D these pellets have a name? I have no clue what they are so I don't know what to ask for. I am the director of a daycare and have 5 kids so I have lots of access to game parts and little stuff:rotfl::rotfl:

I did buy curious george fabric to make a trial with for my little guy. If I can figure it out, I will pick up disney and other fabrics for them.

Aimee, I had to laugh at the pink hair since I knew your hair was so many colors! LOL!

I skipped most pages, hoping to come back later but gotta sew.

I would love for someone to find a pattern. Dallas would still love one but he'll be old before I know it.

My friend uses what I think are called pony beads. The little plastic beads that kids would make necklaces or something with. My other friend was buying whatever it is they are called at Joann's but those things add up!

I love the ariel and snow white sets!
I had to laugh out loud reading your post Tues. was my 10 day mark and this is the first time in 6 years that I am not making reservations for the BBB :sad1: Gianna is OVER princesses, customs and anything that is girly, ruffly, and in her opinion babyish.

We have done BBB at least 10x and had each style at least twice. Pink, rainbow and turquoise pop princess style, Pink and Blond for Disney Diva and then the standard fairytale princess bun. Funny enough I cringed when she would pick the bun...Gianna is very ....BOLD in her personality :rolleyes1 and the bun is sooo not her...I would always say "are you sure you don't want the pink/blue/rainbow hair?" The FGIT always was surprised, so I guess I am as strange as I think I am :laughing:

I am with you, the bun is my least favorite.

HELP!!!!!

Sorry to shout. But I hope to get some answers fast. I have been looking for a new machine for a while. My last one gave out and I bought a Walmart brother to last until I could afford/find what I want. I want a heavy duty machine I can use and use and abuse(with use) and it last. Just a sewing machine. I have an embroidery machine. I also have a brother serger (actually it is on permeant loan from mom she got tired of having to rethread it and threatened to through it out the door. I saved it.) I can do okay with it but once it is unthreaded it can take hours to get it to sew right again. ( I am NOT stretching the truth here).

Getting to the point. I have found a Huskylock 936 (looks similar to a s25) on Craigslist. Is this a good machine? What can I do with it? right now I just finish seams with mine. Can it do a striaght stitch? The Husqvarna site said it will sew denim and heavy weight fabric. Please help. I need a new machine but don't want to waste my time if this is not going to be what I want. I NEEEEED a new sewing machine. I would like a good serger. I don't know anything about these machines and am going blind right now. Thank you ladies for all of your help:worship:

I have no idea. My DH always wants me to get a husky sewing machine and I tell him NO!! I love my brothers! I tried a singer and just didn't end up liking it. I like to keep them all in the same family. I kind of blindly bought a sewing machine last week. Everyone (DH and store owner/fixer guy) both thought I wouldn't be happy with it. I :love: it! Bigger isn't always better! :) I don't have any idea what you are looking at compared to others but they kept telling me I wouldn't be happy because it wasn't as big.

I think you can use "poly fill beads" and they are little plastic pellets that I got at Joann's. I also once very long ago used the little colored beads that they shoot in airsoft guns - pretty green ones that came in a big tub.

Here is a super simple tutorial I found - I think they used felt if anyone wanted to make a quick one - maybe Mickey head shaped???
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2009/02/eye-spy-bags.html

I have looked through all of the pages I missed and WOW! Everything is beautiful! Super talented ladies in this group!!!!

We are under a tornado warning and it is raining so hard right now and the lights are flickering so i grabbed the laptop and the baby and we are hanging out in the basement where it is cooler because when the lights go out the air does as well! It is SO muggy! Anyway, Just wanted to share a few more designs :) I am working on a few step sister and villian outfits next and am super excited about them. My girls LOVED them at 1900 and I can not wait until they see the outfits made with the stepsisters on them!

I also read that there are a few people who wanted to try the Insa skirt. I wanted to add that it is SUPER EASY to make. All of these are the Insa skirt pattern. I made a change to the waist band because I didnt want it to be very long but otherwise it is a great pattern which can be made simple (Snow White) or add lots of applique like the others. It is a great pattern and one of the easier ones to follow! Just make sure you PIN the layers together to make sure they are all going to fit together and make sure you use measurments for the waist and hips as there is not much wiggle room because it is a more fitted skirt.

s7.jpg

s3.jpg

c9.jpg

c7.jpg

c6.jpg

c4.jpg

a9.jpg

a6.jpg

a3.jpg

a1-1.jpg

Miss Olivia picked each of the appliques for the outfits because they are her favorite from the movies. She keeps saying she wants a Max Dog which is NOT going to happen lol We have a cat (Mostly outdoor comes in to eat and when it rains) and a Boston Terrier puppy which is a hand full so I dont see a Max dog in her future anytime soon.

I just love the outfits and think they would be good for give.
Who is the digitizer for the princess appliques?

Okay ... I did NOT make Phalen & Finn & Sebastian's Jedi Robes that were in the Star Wars party pics I posted on the old thread - my mom did. If she was in the States right now, I'd ask her to do one for Perrin ...

She CASE'd the design from these:
http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/

http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php?id=sh5

http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/robe.html

And there was an Etsy seller that had an AWESOME one ... I don't see a listing for it tonight, but I still had the link from an email I sent my mom:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/58000310/child-sized-custom-jedi-robe-order?ref=mt

I hope that helps someone be able to make a Jedi robe :-) If you need me to take detailed pictures of Phalen's (or measurements, etc) I'd be happy to!

Thank you ro everyone who tried to help me with my question about the Huskylock. When I went to look at it he had just sold it, so that made up my mind for me. I am still looking for a sewing machine though. I do ALOT of tote bags and purses. Most of it is with home dec. weight fabric(close to denim weight). I need a machine that will sew 6 or 8 layers of this without skipping stitches. I also do quilting and some garment sewing too. Decorative stitches are nice but I really need all metal parts and a heavy duty motor. I had a Scholastic Singer (heavy duty for schools). I loved it. Had only 10-12 stitch types but a little work horse. I had it for over 10 years. I finally war the gears down beyond repair and my repair guy says their are no more replacement parts. :confused3 I cried. I bought a brother from Wallie world just to make do. With the thick fabric it will skip stitches and it is not made anywhere as well as my Singer was.

any one have any suggestions. I want to get a good machine, but don't have a ton of money to spend on it. I can wait if I need to and tuff it out, but it is frustating not being able to do what I want to or having it look bad. Thanks again.

Princess Week continues . . . Here is the sister set to match Ariel.

230559_219355694745432_210534112294257_982264_1578157_n.jpg

In discussing "theoretical" WDW BBB trips my girls both decided they wanted that horrible fake pink hair. I had to take a big girl pill and remember it's their makeover and they get to choose. LOL For goodness sakes I can't have them saying in 15 years "remember the time Mom wouldn't let us get fake pink hair." :laughing:

I love it! FYI, I was THE mom who said NO PINK HAIR on our last trip. I think I just wanted one more princess BBB trip before she got too old. She turned 8 that day. She wasn't too hard to convince -- she had already picked out the dress she wanted to wear and I told her the pink hair really didn't match....:lovestruc

Hello Ladies & Gents - have not posted in a little bit or kept up either - It's moving too fast. I have skimmed and everything looks wonderful!
Here are a few pics from my girls Easter outfits.
I made Juliet a Portrait Peasant top and a pretty simply skirt using trapazoid panels. I love how it turned out and the way I finished it. i see many more skirts like the in the future.
224972_1857436208600_1621711716_1860483_7826121_n.jpg

222214_1861967721885_1621711716_1869306_5586417_n.jpg

Here is the front of Evangeline's Dress
206819_219168348098784_163938963621723_1048385_2598602_n.jpg

Here is the back
205664_219168438098775_163938963621723_1048386_7050184_n.jpg

And here is the reverse of her dress
221985_221747374507548_163938963621723_1073132_5922250_n.jpg

Jocelyn didn't want to wear her dress at first. Here is one side.
226340_221749314507354_163938963621723_1073143_5049397_n.jpg

And the reverse
215540_221749277840691_163938963621723_1073142_4696609_n.jpg

And here is the dress for a customer
215340_221749161174036_163938963621723_1073138_2461465_n.jpg

225965_221749227840696_163938963621723_1073140_5211406_n.jpg

222470_221749204507365_163938963621723_1073139_358101_n.jpg

Great work!!

Continuing Princess week here is Cinderella. . .

224735_219559864725015_210534112294257_984005_3649694_n.jpg

Another GREAT outfit!

I have looked through all of the pages I missed and WOW! Everything is beautiful! Super talented ladies in this group!!!!

We are under a tornado warning and it is raining so hard right now and the lights are flickering so i grabbed the laptop and the baby and we are hanging out in the basement where it is cooler because when the lights go out the air does as well! It is SO muggy! Anyway, Just wanted to share a few more designs :) I am working on a few step sister and villian outfits next and am super excited about them. My girls LOVED them at 1900 and I can not wait until they see the outfits made with the stepsisters on them!

I also read that there are a few people who wanted to try the Insa skirt. I wanted to add that it is SUPER EASY to make. All of these are the Insa skirt pattern. I made a change to the waist band because I didnt want it to be very long but otherwise it is a great pattern which can be made simple (Snow White) or add lots of applique like the others. It is a great pattern and one of the easier ones to follow! Just make sure you PIN the layers together to make sure they are all going to fit together and make sure you use measurments for the waist and hips as there is not much wiggle room because it is a more fitted skirt.

s7.jpg

s3.jpg

c9.jpg

c7.jpg

c6.jpg

c4.jpg

a9.jpg

a6.jpg

a3.jpg

a1-1.jpg

Miss Olivia picked each of the appliques for the outfits because they are her favorite from the movies. She keeps saying she wants a Max Dog which is NOT going to happen lol We have a cat (Mostly outdoor comes in to eat and when it rains) and a Boston Terrier puppy which is a hand full so I dont see a Max dog in her future anytime soon.

Adorable! I hope you guys were safe during last night's awful storms!

I have no idea. My DH always wants me to get a husky sewing machine and I tell him NO!! I love my brothers! I tried a singer and just didn't end up liking it. I like to keep them all in the same family. I kind of blindly bought a sewing machine last week. Everyone (DH and store owner/fixer guy) both thought I wouldn't be happy with it. I :love: it! Bigger isn't always better! :) I don't have any idea what you are looking at compared to others but they kept telling me I wouldn't be happy because it wasn't as big.

I am with you on that one... I am loving my Brothers right now - but maybe someday I'll find something better. :wizard:

Thank you ro everyone who tried to help me with my question about the Huskylock. When I went to look at it he had just sold it, so that made up my mind for me. I am still looking for a sewing machine though. I do ALOT of tote bags and purses. Most of it is with home dec. weight fabric(close to denim weight). I need a machine that will sew 6 or 8 layers of this without skipping stitches. I also do quilting and some garment sewing too. Decorative stitches are nice but I really need all metal parts and a heavy duty motor. I had a Scholastic Singer (heavy duty for schools). I loved it. Had only 10-12 stitch types but a little work horse. I had it for over 10 years. I finally war the gears down beyond repair and my repair guy says their are no more replacement parts. :confused3 I cried. I bought a brother from Wallie world just to make do. With the thick fabric it will skip stitches and it is not made anywhere as well as my Singer was.

any one have any suggestions. I want to get a good machine, but don't have a ton of money to spend on it. I can wait if I need to and tuff it out, but it is frustating not being able to do what I want to or having it look bad. Thanks again.

I wish I could help you out - but I really have no idea. All I know is that if you want metal parts, you should be looking at an older machine. My Brother is from the 80's and it is mostly metal... but it can't go through the fabric like yours did. The thing that annoys me, more than anything, is that no matter how straight I stitch, my stitching looks like I should have had a few less drinks. It's so wobbly and it's not me... I would eventually love to find a machine that can do a perfectly straight stitch... is there such a thing?

candicenicole19
Sorry I did't get to quote your adorable outifts - but I just wanted to shout out that I loved them! :)

D~

This is the tutorial I use. however I alter all the measurements and add a handle:
http://ajpadilla.com/reduce-reuse-recycle/i-spy-bag

1. Cut a piece of transparent vinyl 3.5" square. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 3.5". I make my vinyl 5x5 inches when I cut it and my resulting window size is 3.5 x 3.5. I make these two pieces of fabric 5.5 x 6" though you could just do 6x6 for ease.

2. Using a 1/4" seam, sew the two pieces of fabric to two sides of the vinyl. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.
I fold my 5.5 x 6 piece of fabric in half to make it 5.5 x 3 inches. Iron the fold. Iron under 1/2 inch on each of the 5.5" raw edges. My pic is blurry -- I was going to attempt to do a tut but I have to redo it but hopefully these pics helps you understand
019-2.jpg

020-2.jpg

I do not sew the the pieces to the vinyl. I adhere them to the vinyl with wash away wonder tape and top stitch 1/8 and 1/4 inches from the edges. For the first piece don't worry exactly about vinyl placement, but when you sew the second side on you make sure the vinyl is 3.5" across. In the example I am doing I made a 4" window, but now I do 3.5"This photo is adhereing with wonder under tape:
037.jpg

And this is finished stitches:
038.jpg

3. Cut two pieces of fabric 2 x 6.5" Sew to the other two sides of the vinyl + short strips. Fold fabric over and top-stitch.I cut these pieces 9x6 inches. I fold and press so they become 9x3". Then I fold under 1/2" on the raw edge of the 9" side and attach to the fabric and vinyl. Here I just pin to the existing fabric rather than using tape. This photo gives you and idea of the assembly:
041.jpg

4. Cut a piece of fabric 6.5" square. (Or join strips of several fabrics and trim down to a 6.5" square.)

I make my fabric 8.5 x 8.5 inches for a 3.5 x 3.5 window (just adjust this to the size window you make). Sometimes I also put a lining in the bag -- just make that the same size. My handle measurements are 3.5 x 11' . I actually make the handle first thing so it's ready to go. I fold it in half and press and fold each raw long edge under 1/2" and top stitch along both ends. I assemble my bag as such pinning the handle at the top and leaving an opening at the bottom to turn inside out and fill. First I place my lining down, then fashion fabric, then handle, then vinyl piece:
051-1.jpg

Sew TWICE for security (again leave an opening at the bottom) and double back at least once on the handles. Turn bag inside out. Assemble trinkets and take photo and make a list. Put trinkets in bag. Fill with approximately 16 oz of pellets (this may vary depending on the size you like to make your bags). Then topstitch the entire bottom of the bag TWICE. I thn print my picture and list and put them between clear contact paper (though vinyl sealing would be more durable), hole punch that and tie it to the handle with a coordinating ribbon.

Trinkets I use:
065.jpg

That chain is a ceiling fan chain (cheaper than buying a craft chain) and I cut it into about 1 inch pieces.
064.jpg

Get things at the dollar store, walmart, target's one dollar section, tiny hair bands, pennies and nickles, coated paper clips, legos, beads, buttons. Those cute button packs are awesome to use -- I buy them when they are 2 for 1 or 50% off. Use coupons from Michaels or ACMoore to buy bead packs of cute things -- like my seashell and fish themed colorful beads came from Michaels in the toy section/kid's craft area. I read you can use a safety pin if you glue it shut. Look for party favor trinkets. Lightweight things like pom-poms are easy to find. The hex nuts are almost impossible to find. We have never found the hex nut in my dd's bag and my ds found his only once. Heavier things are harder to find. White buttons that match the color of the fill can be challenging too. I now put at least 40 items in the bag.

This is the fill I use. I am very LUCKY and get it at Walmart for $4.97. My Joann's does not sell it. Hancock's sells it for the same price for an 8 ounce bag (I get 32 oz at Walmart). I have not looked to see if Michaels or ACMoore carries it.
073.jpg

Sorry if my instructions are as clear as mud. I just did things to make it easier to sew on the vinyl and a size I was happier with. I wouldn't make the bags any larger than 8.5 x 8.5. Smaller may be nicer because they'd be lighterweight, but my kids are happy with the ones I made them which were 9x9 (turn out a little smaller once sewn).

Here is a finished bag I made for a friend (it has a 4x4 window):
026-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

And sorry if photos are all different sizes -- I find resizing in photobucket to not be very user friendly.

Someday I'll try to get better pics and do a proper tutorial.

For anyone interested in making pillows for GKTW....

Joann's has flannel on sale 50% off this Saturday only (I am sure most of you got that flyer! :))....so for a little over $2.50 (I am sure all you folks have 12" of novelty fabric laying around!) you can make 4 pillows!

Lynn

For anyone interested in making pillows for GKTW....

Joann's has flannel on sale 50% off this Saturday only (I am sure most of you got that flyer! :))....so for a little over $2.50 (I am sure all you folks have 12" of novelty fabric laying around!) you can make 4 pillows!

Lynn

Yes, I saw that. My problem is getting to the fabric store on a Saturday! I have much better luck going when the kids are in school. I wish it was on sale all week! Also, I wish GKTW didn't require a solid fabric -- I love coordinating patterns. I'll try to sneak out on Sat and get some if my schedule can afford me to -- our soccer game is right in the middle of the day!

Yes, I saw that. My problem is getting to the fabric store on a Saturday! I have much better luck going when the kids are in school. I wish it was on sale all week! Also, I wish GKTW didn't require a solid fabric -- I love coordinating patterns. I'll try to sneak out on Sat and get some if my schedule can afford me to -- our soccer game is right in the middle of the day!

Andrea...

I used to have that problem. Then, when we started home schooling, I found out my kids love to go to Joann's almost as much as me! So...I really have no excuses....hmmm

By the way! I get to go pick up Bubba today!!!!! I'm having a hard time waiting until the traffic dies down though!

Nini

Andrea...

I used to have that problem. Then, when we started home schooling, I found out my kids love to go to Joann's almost as much as me! So...I really have no excuses....hmmm

By the way! I get to go pick up Bubba today!!!!! I'm having a hard time waiting until the traffic dies down though!

Nini
Well that just gave me some ideas of how to get them to the fabric store this summer! Kids, would you rather do some lessons to prepare for the upcoming school year or go to Joann's??? Actually, dh will NOT be deployed this summer and should have better hours, so I should be able to sneak away in the evening. Of course I'll probably have to limit that to one evening or so a week. Sometimes I hit 6 fabric places in one day -- we have three Hanacock's, two Joanne's and Walmart! It can be an all day event.

I am sooooooo glad you get your machine back today! I know what you're going to be doing all day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter