Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the colors, and I agree, I would take off the bottom ruffle or two off to bring it to the top of her knee.
Congrats on the sewing room, it sounds like it's progressing nicely!

D my initial thought while looking at the front was to chop a couple inches off the front hem so I think loosing the last ruffle is a good one.

OK... I am glad we are in agreement... :banana:

So, my next question...

Do you think I can cut open the sides - almost up to the waist band... then flip the front panel inside-out - hem it up further - so it's even with the next ruffle up - trim the hem?

Then chop off the bottom ruffle with the underskirt - leave enough of the underskirt for hemming (which will be hidden under the next bottom ruffle)...

Then sew them back together at the side seams - but making the seam a little straighter so it does't flare out quite so much? Or should I follow the flare and see how it looks on dd - then I can always bring it in if it doesn't look right?

Do you think I can do all of this with out touching the waistband???

Thanks for all of your help everyone - I really, really appreciate it! :lovestruc

D~

Oh my - I am so sorry for you and your family. It is us who morn her loss, but she is now Safe in the Arms of Jesus. :hug:

So sorry to hear about your grandma. :grouphug: I have no advice on the embroidery, I haven't embroidered on t shirts much, although I want to soon so I hope you get some good advice that might help me in the future.

I am sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. :hug: I don't have any suggestions for the embroidery since I actually don't do T-shirts much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Hugs and prayers for you and your family!:grouphug: I'm happy you got there in time to see her. ( I was not so lucky with my mom. She passed away in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, so no one got to tell her goodbye.)

I am so sorry!! I will be praying for peace for you and your family!

I use a cutaway stabilizer that is made for t-shirts. It is super soft yet strong. Maybe try a smaller ball point needle??

so sorry to hear about your grandma....will keep you and your family in our prayers..

I am so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss :hug:. As far as the embroidery the only thing I can come up with someone already suggested, maybe a smaller ball point needle.

I am so very sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
~

So, so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. As Wendy said, she is happy we who are left behind are the ones who mourn. (and mourn we do!) Knowing that you at least go to say goodbye makes your heart a little better. My mom died instantly in the crash that changed our lives. And I cannot even remember what the last thing I said to her. We now never get off the phone or leave the house without telling everyone we love them.

As for the embroidery problem...no help. I've never had that problem, but I am sure if there is a problem to be had with the embroidery machine I will experience it shortly!

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Grandmother.

I am not sure of the Embroidery but my first guess is that the fabric may be stretched to tight.

!

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending healing prayers your way.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and prayers. My family really appreciates them. Every time someone says they are sorry for our loss, I tear up. I think it was just b/c we weren't prepared to lose her. She has been healthy. My grandpa (her husband) has been very sick with cancer so we have been more prepared to lose him. It is just very sad. They have been married for 60 some years and he just seemed so lost at the hospital. He was holding her hand and kissing her and crying. It was hard to watch, but we know someone was watching out for her. The doctors said she should have been paralyzed from the neck down immediately with the kind of break she had. She got up and got tylenol a few times and everything.

I do feel fortunate to have gotten there in time. Two of my uncles were flying in from New Jersey and Arizona and one of them just missed it by a few minutes and the other a couple of hours. I felt really bad for them.

It is just a hard week. My DH is at the funeral for the officer that was killed last week. I couldn't leave my kids today with all of the other things going on this week.

As for the t-shirt advice, please keep it coming. I just haven't struggled with this problem before and it just keeps happening!!! I will try a smaller needle. I haven't hooped the shirts too tight b/c I just pin them on to the stabilizer. For the person that said they use a special stablizer that is soft for t-shirts, do you know what the name of it is and where you purchase it?:confused3

You've all been so busy...I've only been away for the weekend, I come back and there is a new thread.....to page 11..wow:rotfl:

Love all the outfits, you are all so clever:thumbsup2

Here are some I have made for our september trip...

DD6 in her Cinderella work dress ( to wear to the BBB)

DSCN2452.jpg

In her Cinderella inspired Dress ( love CarlaC her instructions were fab:thumbsup2)

DSCN2503.jpg

Animal Kingdom Skirt and Top. I found the skirt quite tricky, I'm not that experienced and fine Carla's patterns much easier to follow

DSCN2506.jpg

Close up of some of the detail

DSCN2505.jpg

This is dress is for Chef de France, no model as I still have a bit of work to do on it, but love the material and like the way it has turned out.

DSCN2451.jpg

Still have quite afew outfits and tshirts to do, but pleased I've made a start.

Love your sons coconut bra!! Love the quilt

!

Thanks. And he and a friend would have worn the bras bare chested, but the principal caught wind of this the day before, and told the boys they had to wear shirts.

Missed the move....Easter wasn't quite what I expected. My grandma fell and broke a vertebrae in her neck and through so complications unexpectedly passed away. I made it to the hospital in time but the whole day was spent there and traveling. I know she is with her beautiful Savior whom she loved dearly so that makes it easier.

I do have a question. I have never had a problem embroidering on t-shirts, but now that I am doing shirts for others, I am. I like using heavy cut away stabilizer so I can pin my shirts to it. I also use a ball point needle. Well, lately when I do shirts with wording (I have bought the designs from stitch on time so they are good ones) they get holes in them. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Dont' want to make you cry again, but I am so sorry for your loss.

I had to laugh at the picture of your son - "tropical day" with a hockey stick? The apron, dress, and the quilt all look nice. Good job on quilting the quilt!

Thank you for the compliments. They had a student/teacher hockey game that day also, so yeah it was a little weird to be dressed like that and heading to the arena.

Please pray for my state. We spent quite a bit of time in our safe closet tonight as a huge tornado passed within just a few miles of our house. The amount of HUGE hail we got was amazing. It was as though we had an ice machine in our yard! I am half afraid that our new roof is destroyed!!!

Other areas of our state were hit very hard with tornadoes touching down tonight! There are at least 3 fatalities confirmed and dozens of people in critical condition. Initial reports are saying an F5 hit one of our small towns and leveled most of it -- destroying 50-80 houses. They haven't been able to confirm it yet due to roads being blocked by major trees that were knocked down. The first responders are asking for able bodied volunteers with chainsaws to come help rescue trapped people. It is just awful! Just 10 miles away several schools were destroyed as well as houses. It was as though tornadoes were EVERYWHERE tonight.

This all comes on the heals of a horrible storm 2 weeks ago that killed 7 people in our state -- including our neighbor's sister and 7 year old nephew when a tree fell on their house. They found him cradled in his mom's arms -- they figure the storms scared him and mom climbed in bed with him to help him sleep. The 18 month old little girl was still asleep in her crib when our neighbor (her aunt) found her the next morning. And then we had storms again last week that caused more damage -- we lost a tree in the storms. It hit our neighbor's house but thankfully with minor damage -- fence and gutter.

And they are predicting more storms tomorrow night....

Stay safe, hope the storms subside.

OK - so I was able to snap a quick photo of the skirt on dd before school... what do you think?

There isn't any top stitiching on the front yet - since I am not sure if I am going to rip the skirt apart yet. It does look adorable on her - but it's just so much longer than we wanted. :confused3

aCIMG8903.jpg

aCIMG8902.jpg

My thought is that we could easily lose that whole bottom ruffle and it would still be pleanty long... maybe even take it in on the bottom sides a bit??? But I really want to do it without taking off the waistband - I'm afraid that I will totally ruin the skirt then.

Oh - and these photos were taken in my new sewing room - which is now primed. :)

D~

Pretty colors, but that is way longer than I have ever seen this pattern. I am no help with how to shorten it though, as I don't have the pattern.

th_DSCN2452.jpg

In her Cinderella inspired Dress ( love CarlaC her instructions were fab:thumbsup2)

th_DSCN2503.jpg

Animal Kingdom Skirt and Top. I found the skirt quite tricky, I'm not that experienced and fine Carla's patterns much easier to follow

th_DSCN2506.jpg

th_DSCN2505.jpg

This is dress is for Chef de France, no model as I still have a bit of work to do on it, but love the material and like the way it has turned out.

th_DSCN2451.jpg

Everything is very pretty. Is that a glass slipper embroidered on Cinderellas work outfit?

PRAYER REQUESTMy DS29 had a spot on his face that had changed so he went to the dermatologist last week to have it looked at. The doctor removed it and said it was only a 1-2% chance of it being cancerous. They called him today and said it's MELONOMA! He goes to see a doctor in the morning for them to remove more. Please pray that it's not too invasive and hasn't spread and they can get it all.

Praying they can get it all. My aunt has had a couple removed from her face, and things have gone well for her, hoping for the same outcome.

Everything is great! I imagine the quilt was time consuming but it really turned out nice!

Thank you.

Here's the skirts I made my girls for Easter. My older DD(11) picked out the fabric and then wanted something "shimmery" on top. She wasn't exactly sure what she wanted but this is what we came up. My more tomboy DD(8) didn't want anything "shimmery" and went with a nice simple solid band.:laughing:

th_P1030195.jpg

th_P1030194.jpg

Good job. cool fabric, looks like it has a bit of a sheen to it anyway.

:rotfl: The apron, dress and blanket came out very nice!

Thank you

I made my DD her Easter dress out of the Simply Sweet pattern and the underdress from the Portrait Peasant...I love how they both came out and thankfully they are both alittle big, so she can wear them next spring also:lovestruc

It looks off center in the picture, but it is just the way she is holding it.
221701_2042620912315_1448101893_2437957_117488_n.jpg

Very pretty. I saw some of that Lilly and Will at the quilt shop last week and struggled to resist, as I already have too much fabric at home.

I love the tropical day attire, your son looks like a fun kid! The quilt looks amazing!! I'm forever done quilting quilts, I love sewing/piecing and then I LOVE driving them over to my dear friend that has a long arm!

Thank you. I won't quilt anything bigger than baby blankets and table runners, the rest get sent to my aunt with the long arm.

It isn't hoarding when it is neatly organized on a shelf, right? That is called a collection ;) I **may** have a problem collecting fabrics. I have 5 more *must* have's and then no more buying fabric unless I *need* it for a project.

My goal for today is to organize the office/craft room - I have a birthday and baby shower this Saturday I want/need to sew for and can't start til this room is cleaner. . . . hi ho, hi ho. . .

UPDATE ON DS
DS just called and they are through with the procedure. His cancer was right below his temple along the hair line. They had to cut all the way to the jaw line in order to get a flap to close the incision. He did find out it was less than 1mm deep, about a 1/2mm, so that is good news. Anything 1mm or deeper runs a higher risk of it going to lymph nodes. He can't shower, lift, bend over or lay flat for 48 hours. Good thing he likes to sleep in the recliner!:rotfl: The doctor did tell him that melanoma, breast cancer and pancreatic cancer are all connected. So I guess I'm to blame, since I'm a breast cancer survivor.:confused3

Thank you everyone for all of the prayers!:flower3:

UPDATE ON DS
DS just called and they are through with the procedure. His cancer was right below his temple along the hair line. They had to cut all the way to the jaw line in order to get a flap to close the incision. He did find out it was less than 1mm deep, about a 1/2mm, so that is good news. Anything 1mm or deeper runs a higher risk of it going to lymph nodes. He can't shower, lift, bend over or lay flat for 48 hours. Good thing he likes to sleep in the recliner!:rotfl: The doctor did tell him that melanoma, breast cancer and pancreatic cancer are all connected. So I guess I'm to blame, since I'm a breast cancer survivor.:confused3

that is wonderful news it hasn't spread....oh don't think its your fault, melanoma happens even without the other things....my BFF DH got it with no cancer in his family....just lack of sunscreen/hat when he worked outside.

hope he recovers quickly and has no more issues or concerns with it!

UPDATE ON DS

Good show :dance3:

You've all been so busy...I've only been away for the weekend, I come back and there is a new thread.....to page 11..wow:rotfl:

DSCN2452.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2506.jpg

DSCN2505.jpg

DSCN2451.jpg

Everything looks great! I really love the Cinderella work outfit with the glass slipper!

IMG_7180.jpg

another little recycled dress I finished up last night. I really like these, too bad I don't have any little girls in the family to give them too, and the boys really don't want to wear them :rotfl:

UPDATE ON DS

Blame? I don't think so...you are a survivor! Not a cause!

They are connected in that they all tend to have types that can be inherited... one of the reasons my DD has been getting screened annually since she was 18. Even though the insurance balks at paying for the mammogram, we know that all of the hereditary cancers seem to run rampant in our family and is totally necessary.

Since her hubby is a Hodgkins survivor, he has no problem paying for the scans now.

Glad to hear some good news on that front. Glad to know it was 'minimal' and praying for a good lab report!

Nini

That is so pretty!! I just love that pretty Rapunzel design and I have that Motif from Heather too, I need to still do something so I can use it!

Thanks. I love the motif. I tend to just buy random designs (even though I now digitize) and I just grabbed this one a while back. It turned out so pretty!

Oh wow. I think I like both versions of the pillowcase!

Thanks! The Minnie ones were for someone else. Her girls are a little older and LOVE to get autographs, so the larger size works perfect for them. I love the black/white/red together. But my daughter is all in to Punzel, and her room is purple so we went with this. Plus we'll only be in Disney a day so won't get too many autographs.

Beautiful!

I love it! 'Punzel is the new favored princess at our house, my daughter would lose her mind over that pillow!

Oh yeah! This is the first princess/movie my daughter has really taken to. We watch it at least once a day. When she saw the pillow she wanted to take it to bed right away! It's too bad we won't be able to see her when we go in May. :sad1:

th_IMG_7180.jpg

another little recycled dress I finished up last night. I really like these, too bad I don't have any little girls in the family to give them too, and the boys really don't want to wear them :rotfl:

I've got a little girl, if you really want someone to give them to, LOL.

UPDATE ON DS

[/COLOR]

SO happy for the good news. Prayers answered!

I haven't been around much since our trip last summer, but here are pics of Easter dresses that I made for the girls. Will begin sewing for our summer trip soon!

These are beautiful!! And so are your girls.

Page 7? yikes.

I made my girl's matching Easter dresses with the newest SisBoom pattern.

th_MarissaDresses13.jpg

th_MarissaDresses14.jpg

My niece is turning one next month and with HeatherSue's fabulous designs I was able to make a great dress for her. I really need to get better photos.
th_Sesamestreet6.jpg

th_Sesamestreet7.jpg

They are precious. They both look beautiful in that color of blue!

PRAYER REQUESTMy DS29 had a spot on his face that had changed so he went to the dermatologist last week to have it looked at. The doctor removed it and said it was only a 1-2% chance of it being cancerous. They called him today and said it's MELONOMA! He goes to see a doctor in the morning for them to remove more. Please pray that it's not too invasive and hasn't spread and they can get it all.

I will be praying for him. I saw your update! No reason to blame yourself...like Nini said...you are a survivor! Great news that it wasn't any deeper.

I got some stuff finished up this weekend, but first a pic of my 13 yr old on Tropical day at school:

th_IMG_7173.jpg

An apron from a Kit that my mom bought at Walmart. She thought they were cute so bought 2 for me to make for her.

th_IMG_7176.jpg

th_IMG_7177.jpg

Look, I used a solid (doesn't happen too often in my sewing room)

th_IMG_7179.jpg

I even quilted it myself, and am so proud of it, cause it is the first time I have done something different than 'stitch in the ditch' or sending it to my aunt to be done on the long arm.

Love the coconut bra too!

That is a very cute apron. I love the colors.

Very good job on the quilt. I like how you quilted it. I hand quilt all baby blankets I make (have 2 waiting to be done right now). And solid fabric???
I took my DD with me to pick out fabric for her baby quilt Saturday. When I couldn't find just the right fabric to match, she said "well, just use solid!". I said "well, only if it is barely going to show".:rotfl: I don't like solids either.

Here's the skirts I made my girls for Easter. My older DD(11) picked out the fabric and then wanted something "shimmery" on top. She wasn't exactly sure what she wanted but this is what we came up. My more tomboy DD(8) didn't want anything "shimmery" and went with a nice simple solid band.:laughing:

th_P1030195.jpg

th_P1030194.jpg

Both skirts turned out so cute! Love the fabric.

I made my DD her Easter dress out of the Simply Sweet pattern and the underdress from the Portrait Peasant...I love how they both came out and thankfully they are both alittle big, so she can wear them next spring also:lovestruc

It looks off center in the picture, but it is just the way she is holding it.
th_221701_2042620912315_1448101893_2437957_117488_n.jpg

I love the colors. They look beautiful on your daughter. I have a friend that adopted 2 little girls from China (they are 4 and 7). Your daughter could be their sister....they look so much alike. She is just precious!

Ok silly question: My DH finally is taking me out for a brunch for mommys day (only been asking for 5 years now). Would it look ok for us to have matching dresses? Im thinking of Sis Boom patterns for the both of us with matching fabric and all. Then making DH a tie out of the fabric

Yes...matching is wonderful!! Go for it!

I am the queen of matching/color coordinating....here is our family on Easter Sunday. I made DD's dress.
215502_10150152004107006_60652482005_6512692_5333085_n.jpg

Then we went to my mom's for lunch and we all ended up matching!!! No plans to match but we did!
216050_10150223215270973_631255972_8876023_6901431_n.jpg

Love the family picture and that everyone matched! That is awesome!

Missed the move....Easter wasn't quite what I expected. My grandma fell and broke a vertebrae in her neck and through so complications unexpectedly passed away. I made it to the hospital in time but the whole day was spent there and traveling. I know she is with her beautiful Savior whom she loved dearly so that makes it easier.

I do have a question. I have never had a problem embroidering on t-shirts, but now that I am doing shirts for others, I am. I like using heavy cut away stabilizer so I can pin my shirts to it. I also use a ball point needle. Well, lately when I do shirts with wording (I have bought the designs from stitch on time so they are good ones) they get holes in them. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

So sorry about your grandmother. I am happy you made it in time.

As for the tshirts...when I have problems, I usually change the needle. It may have a slight flaw in it or something. Other than that, I ALWAYS use 3 layers of iron on stabilizer when doing tshirts. I very, very seldom have a problem with them IF I have used that much stabilizer.

Do you think I can do all of this with out touching the waistband???

Thanks for all of your help everyone - I really, really appreciate it! :lovestruc

D~

See, I am just the opposite. Instead of doing all of that, I would rather take off the waistband and cut from the top. Then re-attach the waistband. It seems less invasive than losing ruffles and taking all of those seams out.

th_DSCN2452.jpg

Love the Cinderella work dress....very cute!! Can't wait to see what else you make.

PRAYERS being said for those that have asked!!

Ok silly question: My DH finally is taking me out for a brunch for mommys day (only been asking for 5 years now). Would it look ok for us to have matching dresses? Im thinking of Sis Boom patterns for the both of us with matching fabric and all. Then making DH a tie out of the fabric

I love matching too. So I say go for it:thumbsup2

So sorry to hear this:hug:We are going through the same thing with DH's grandmother. She is 91 and fell a few weeks ago and she has not been doing to well either.

Please pray for my state. We spent quite a bit of time in our safe closet tonight as a huge tornado passed within just a few miles of our house. The amount of HUGE hail we got was amazing. It was as though we had an ice machine in our yard! I am half afraid that our new roof is destroyed!!!

Other areas of our state were hit very hard with tornadoes touching down tonight! There are at least 3 fatalities confirmed and dozens of people in critical condition. Initial reports are saying an F5 hit one of our small towns and leveled most of it -- destroying 50-80 houses. They haven't been able to confirm it yet due to roads being blocked by major trees that were knocked down. The first responders are asking for able bodied volunteers with chainsaws to come help rescue trapped people. It is just awful! Just 10 miles away several schools were destroyed as well as houses. It was as though tornadoes were EVERYWHERE tonight.

This all comes on the heals of a horrible storm 2 weeks ago that killed 7 people in our state -- including our neighbor's sister and 7 year old nephew when a tree fell on their house. They found him cradled in his mom's arms -- they figure the storms scared him and mom climbed in bed with him to help him sleep. The 18 month old little girl was still asleep in her crib when our neighbor (her aunt) found her the next morning. And then we had storms again last week that caused more damage -- we lost a tree in the storms. It hit our neighbor's house but thankfully with minor damage -- fence and gutter.

:scared1: How scary for you and your family. Sending prayers for everyone.

OK - so I was able to snap a quick photo of the skirt on dd before school... what do you think?

There isn't any top stitiching on the front yet - since I am not sure if I am going to rip the skirt apart yet. It does look adorable on her - but it's just so much longer than we wanted. :confused3

th_aCIMG8903.jpg

th_aCIMG8902.jpg

My thought is that we could easily lose that whole bottom ruffle and it would still be pleanty long... maybe even take it in on the bottom sides a bit??? But I really want to do it without taking off the waistband - I'm afraid that I will totally ruin the skirt then.

Oh - and these photos were taken in my new sewing room - which is now primed. :)

D~

It came out cute and I think if you loose a row of ruffles you could shorten it, but not sure how to do that though:goodvibes

th_DSCN2452.jpg

th_DSCN2503.jpg

th_DSCN2506.jpg

th_DSCN2451.jpg

Love all of them. What pattern was the skirt that gave you a hard time?

UPDATE ON DS

That is wonderful news. Continued prayers that everything will OK :grouphug:

Oh my! I am praying for you and your community. I can't believe the devastation I see on tv. It is horrible.

DSCN2452.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2506.jpg

DSCN2505.jpg

DSCN2451.jpg

Everything is wonderful!

UPDATE ON DS

Glad it all went well and I will keep ya'll in my prayers.

IMG_7180.jpg

Very cute! I don't understand why your boys don't want to wear them:confused3:rotfl:

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments:thumbsup2

Love all of them. What pattern was the skirt that gave you a hard time?
:

The Skirt Pattern is an Insa, from the 'Sewing Clothes kids love' book. I love the book, but as I'm no expert, I find it difficult at times to follow. Saying that I have just cut out the dress pieces to make a Feliz party Dress from the same book:thumbsup2....I do however need to work out how to do the ruffles for the back, as these are not in the book.

Love the coconut bra too!

That is a very cute apron. I love the colors.

Very good job on the quilt. I like how you quilted it. I hand quilt all baby blankets I make (have 2 waiting to be done right now). And solid fabric???
I took my DD with me to pick out fabric for her baby quilt Saturday. When I couldn't find just the right fabric to match, she said "well, just use solid!". I said "well, only if it is barely going to show".:rotfl: I don't like solids either.

Thank you. I see stuff that other people have made with solids and love it, but just can't seem to do it myself.

Very cute! I don't understand why your boys don't want to wear them:confused3:rotfl:

I know, weird.

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments:thumbsup2

The Skirt Pattern is an Insa, from the 'Sewing Clothes kids love' book. I love the book, but as I'm no expert, I find it difficult at times to follow. Saying that I have just cut out the dress pieces to make a Feliz party Dress from the same book:thumbsup2....I do however need to work out how to do the ruffles for the back, as these are not in the book.

Well, if you had trouble with the Insa, the Feliz is much harder, so just take your time, and follow this tutorial along with the book. You should be able to manage between the 2 of them. (That's what I had to do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter