Disboutiquers Part 24 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the 'politics' of our county (hubby was planning on running for sheriff and changed his mind; now the current sheriff is concerned he is after his job), the low pay, and my nerves...hubby is actually thinking of retiring next year. The only reason he hasn't already is the insurance would be so expensive....and we all know I seem to really need the insurance. (Although I AM NOT planning on another surgery this year!)

I am actually researching cheaper insurance options today. Since he makes more money at his part time business, it is really starting to make total sense. Of course, I might have to go back to Disney only every other year instead of every year...

This week is the 6th anniversary of my mom's accident. Yesterday, one of her good friends at church died of late stages Alzheimer's. This has hit my DD10 especially hard. She really loved Miss Eva, and I think it hurt her more than her family when they had to put her in a nursing home 6 weeks ago. Since my DD still feels that the accident was her fault (she has lots of issues with guilt), she is now upset that she thinks she forgot to tell Miss Eva she loved her last time she saw her.

Serving for a really emotional week around here this week. And...not having an emboridery machine to play with I have no therapy of my own!

Nini

Thought I would pop in and say hi "HI" have just spent some time looking at the lovely designs and outfits on here.

My only foray into the sewing world was getting the pip with my sons school at being told where I could buy a Camel costume from so I decided to dust down my sewing machine (received as a wedding present and never used), and make one.

It cost me a fortune in fabric took me all weekend but the satisfaction was emense. And he did make a very cute camel

Sewing machine was put back in the cupboard, BUT I booked the boys in for the Pirates League for our upcoming trip and while they have Pirate outfits, I thought it would be neat if Ariana was also dressed up. I found the cutest outfit on Etsy that I couldn't afford to have shipped to the UK or in time I wouldn't have thought, soooo...... I thought can't be that hard LOL.

So I have ordered a pattern and am going in search of fabric and I am going to give it go. I thought if I said Hi here and I had people expecting me to show them what I did I might actually finish the project - not like the curtain I was going to make for my son's nursery to cover where his clothes hang - he's five now there have been 2 other children in the room since and the material for said curtain has been put somewhere safe.

Anyway here are a couple of pics of my camel costume - not Disney related unless of course I tell you it is from Aladian ;)

Camel1.jpg
Camel2.jpg

Kirsten

Between the 'politics' of our county (hubby was planning on running for sheriff and changed his mind; now the current sheriff is concerned he is after his job), the low pay, and my nerves...hubby is actually thinking of retiring next year. The only reason he hasn't already is the insurance would be so expensive....and we all know I seem to really need the insurance. (Although I AM NOT planning on another surgery this year!)

I am actually researching cheaper insurance options today. Since he makes more money at his part time business, it is really starting to make total sense. Of course, I might have to go back to Disney only every other year instead of every year...

This week is the 6th anniversary of my mom's accident. Yesterday, one of her good friends at church died of late stages Alzheimer's. This has hit my DD10 especially hard. She really loved Miss Eva, and I think it hurt her more than her family when they had to put her in a nursing home 6 weeks ago. Since my DD still feels that the accident was her fault (she has lots of issues with guilt), she is now upset that she thinks she forgot to tell Miss Eva she loved her last time she saw her.

Serving for a really emotional week around here this week. And...not having an emboridery machine to play with I have no therapy of my own!

Nini

Nini {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

One thing I am grateful about is when DH retires we keep his insurance even if it is super expensive. Everything is covered.

I am going to cut out some things while at work so I will have some projects ready to go.

Thought I would pop in and say hi "HI" have just spent some time looking at the lovely designs and outfits on here.

My only foray into the sewing world was getting the pip with my sons school at being told where I could buy a Camel costume from so I decided to dust down my sewing machine (received as a wedding present and never used), and make one.

It cost me a fortune in fabric took me all weekend but the satisfaction was emense. And he did make a very cute camel

Sewing machine was put back in the cupboard, BUT I booked the boys in for the Pirates League for our upcoming trip and while they have Pirate outfits, I thought it would be neat if Ariana was also dressed up. I found the cutest outfit on Etsy that I couldn't afford to have shipped to the UK or in time I wouldn't have thought, soooo...... I thought can't be that hard LOL.

So I have ordered a pattern and am going in search of fabric and I am going to give it go. I thought if I said Hi here and I had people expecting me to show them what I did I might actually finish the project - not like the curtain I was going to make for my son's nursery to cover where his clothes hang - he's five now there have been 2 other children in the room since and the material for said curtain has been put somewhere safe.

Anyway here are a couple of pics of my camel costume - not Disney related unless of course I tell you it is from Aladian ;)

Camel1.jpg
Camel2.jpg

Kirsten

Kirsten, great camel. I couldn't even sew a button on before my 2009 trip....I realy was that bad and when I told my Mother in Law that I was going to make DD a dress....well she nearly fainted:rotfl:.......

Now I have already made DD6, a cinderella work dress, AK skirt, dress for Chef de france and nearly finished cinderellas dress, all ready for our trip in September.

I get most of my fabric the famous auction site, I usually always buy cotton so that the outfit won't be too hot.

If you are looking for good patterns, check out Carla C on www.youcanmakethis.com.....when you buy the pattern you then download it to your computer. I lover her patterns and they are very easy to follow.

These are Carla's instructions I used to make a Cinderella Dress
http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2009/09/simply-sweet-storytime.html

good luck:thumbsup2

I just wanted to say thnank you to everyone for the sweet words about my outfits! Now if only we were going to disney....... lol

The pattern is the Feliz and the actual pattern is just about impossible to find and it is not in English. The pattern IS in the book sewing things kids love (Or something like that) and the directions are much better however follow a tute if you are making it for the first time because it is not that easy to follow either! Now that I have made it a few times I can whip one up in about an hr but my goodness the first one I made had me going crazy!

I adore the style and love that it has so much available room for applique! I am thinking there will be a WHOLE lot more of these in my future! I am working on a few right now and I can not wait to share! I am doing Snow White, Cinderella, Little Mermaid and the wizard of Oz right now. I am thinking they will not have as much applique on them but oh well! My dd is acting a wee bit spoiled and wants a different dress for each princess now (Mind you she ONLY wears them for one picture then she will NOT wear them again unless we are in Disney World) so I better get back to sewing!

Oh and I LOVE All the things I have seen on here! You ladies are so talented! I really do not think if it was not for this group that I would have started to sew again! You ladies are amazing!:lovestruc

Nini

sending you a great big :grouphug: I hope your week gets better!

Camel1.jpg
Camel2.jpg

Kirsten

your son does make a cute camel!!! great costume and good luck on the outfit for daughter...can't wait to see the finished projects!

okay I am at work and brought some fabric to cut. I have officially started our August trip outfits.

I cut some funky animal print I think it is Cheetah or Leopard for DS.

I also cut some tan denim for DS's Easter Outfit

Hello all,
I am a new poster on this thread, but I've been following it for quite some time. I'm not a novice sewer, but I'm not particularity experienced either. I'm looking for advice.

My daughter asked me to make her a pink Cinderella dress for our upcoming trip. I'm wondering if anyone here has made one, and if so, if you have any recommendations regarding patterns?
Thanks!

Wow! I just looked at the photo bucket account. You ladies have skills!

Some of the dresses I really loved had shirred backs, which I think make the fit so nice. Does the simply sweet pattern tell you how to accomplish that? If not, how do you do that?

Hi there and welcome!!! As you've seen there are some great ones out there! HeatheSue started it and I think many of us use her design as inspiration. I've made it a ton (it's requested a lot)!! As teresajoy said, I use the Simply Sweet to make this one. I also like a more fitted look. One way to do this with the simply sweet is to add a tie at the waist: ( I don't have a pic of the back of my cindy dress, but did the same thing on this one):
DSCN0286.jpg

Or you could shirr the back. Either do this by shirring (follow the tutorial of carla's), or you could slight modify her Halter back simply sweet to add a couple more rows of elastic and use loops to tie the straps through (gives it less of a halter look:
DSC_0422.jpg

Oh, and HeatherSue has the applique file for the little blue bird if you have an embroidery machine!

a couple little things to share.

I did not make the skirt (I found it at Babies R Us) I embellished this adorable onsie I found to match it

DSC00812.jpg

All so cute!! I did the same Minnie head applique the other day using the SAME fabrics!!

And congrats on the first order!! Isn't it exciting...I get so happy every time I get one!!

:)Jess

I just wanted to say thnank you to everyone for the sweet words about my outfits! Now if only we were going to disney....... lol

The pattern is the Feliz and the actual pattern is just about impossible to find and it is not in English. The pattern IS in the book sewing things kids love (Or something like that) and the directions are much better however follow a tute if you are making it for the first time because it is not that easy to follow either! Now that I have made it a few times I can whip one up in about an hr but my goodness the first one I made had me going crazy!

I adore the style and love that it has so much available room for applique! I am thinking there will be a WHOLE lot more of these in my future! I am working on a few right now and I can not wait to share! I am doing Snow White, Cinderella, Little Mermaid and the wizard of Oz right now. I am thinking they will not have as much applique on them but oh well! My dd is acting a wee bit spoiled and wants a different dress for each princess now (Mind you she ONLY wears them for one picture then she will NOT wear them again unless we are in Disney World) so I better get back to sewing!

Oh and I LOVE All the things I have seen on here! You ladies are so talented! I really do not think if it was not for this group that I would have started to sew again! You ladies are amazing!:lovestruc

The dresses are beautiful but I really like the Belle outfit. Did you sew the top? I was wondering what the pattern was and what the fabric was? Is it knit, if so what kind of knit? I am really hoping to explore knit fabrics but I am lost when I look at them in the store.

Thanks for the info on the Feliz pattern. I will have to see if I can find that book and a tut. The to do list gets longer. :surfweb:

I visited Hobby Lobby for the first time yesterday. They just opened one near my SIL. She lives about an hour away from us. I've never been in one before. I bought some stuff to make DD10 her costume for the spring drama club play. She is an acrobat but there was no way I was going to let her get up on the stage in just a skimpy leotard. I have to jazz it up somehow. We bought some really pretty sheer rainbow fabric that she loves. Now I will have to decide what to do with it. I am thinking a sheer skirt and maybe some fluttery wing type things to hang from her arms.

I also bought some red Mickey head fabric and some really cute Bambi fabric. Prices seemed ok, not as good as Joanns but not bad either. Now I have a ton of projects stacked up for me to get to. I am having fun with the kids on spring break but I can't wait for them to go back to school so that I can tackle a few projects. I am having a hard time keeping up on what's been posted on here because we've been so busy. I have seen some gorgeous things posted in the last couple of days. Keep up the good work everybody :)

I saw the pictures of the Feliz dresses with all the appliques. Now I keep telling myself, "I will not buy another pattern. I will not buy another pattern. I will not buy another pattern!!!!" I just bought the Vida pattern last month and last week I bought three patterns on YCMT. I can't buy any more!!!!

Nini

Sending you love and light. I hope your week will get better and you get your embroidery machine back soon :grouphug:

The dresses are beautiful but I really like the Belle outfit. Did you sew the top? I was wondering what the pattern was and what the fabric was? Is it knit, if so what kind of knit? I am really hoping to explore knit fabrics but I am lost when I look at them in the store.

Thank you! The top to the Bell dress is made from Knit Fabric. I used the Olivia underdress pattern (Farbenmix) and just made it into a top using my daughters measurments and left off the bottom portion of the dress.

I LOVE using knots but sadly I do not use them as much anymore. The main thing to remember is to use a knit needle in your machine, a zigzag stitch (OR if you are using a serger set it to the knit setting if it has one. Mine does but my old one didnt) and not to pull the fabric because it will pucker. To get the finish on the end I do use a rolled hem and pull to give it the ruffled look but that is the only time I ever pull knit.

Thank you again!

Kirsten, great camel. I couldn't even sew a button on before my 2009 trip....I realy was that bad and when I told my Mother in Law that I was going to make DD a dress....well she nearly fainted:rotfl:.......

Now I have already made DD6, a cinderella work dress, AK skirt, dress for Chef de france and nearly finished cinderellas dress, all ready for our trip in September.

I get most of my fabric the famous auction site, I usually always buy cotton so that the outfit won't be too hot.

If you are looking for good patterns, check out Carla C on www.youcanmakethis.com.....when you buy the pattern you then download it to your computer. I lover her patterns and they are very easy to follow.

These are Carla's instructions I used to make a Cinderella Dress
http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.com/2009/09/simply-sweet-storytime.html

good luck:thumbsup2

Thank you I am off to the famous auction site right now, itching to get started now, but not sure when I will find the time, I have 2 cakes to make and decorate. I suppose if I stopped reading the Disboards I would have heaps of time. LOL.

Kirsten

:banana: I just wanted to share that I just paid our Sept. '11 trip in full this morning!! I am so excited! Now, I need to get started making some outfits for my DD5. I really want to do something special for our first MNSSHP. I'm not sure I'll be able to get DH into a costume, but I'm gonna try! :cheer2:

TMTQ, but everything is beautiful!

I bought the stuff to make the GKTW pillowcases, now I just need to get to work. Thanks for the step by step directions :thumbsup2

Charlotte ladies.
...I'm heading up there Saturday, stopping in Monroe and then heading to Ikea....where do I need to stop to check out fabric? Any walmarts up there still have fabric?? :confused3

Thanks so much :love:

TMTQ, but everything is beautiful!

I bought the stuff to make the GKTW pillowcases, now I just need to get to work. Thanks for the step by step directions :thumbsup2

Charlotte ladies.
...I'm heading up there Saturday, stopping in Monroe and then heading to Ikea....where do I need to stop to check out fabric? Any walmarts up there still have fabric?? :confused3

Thanks so much :love:

There's Hobby Lobby ... and I know one of the Walmarts on that side of town have a fabric department, but not sure which one (maybe arboretum? on Hwy 51) ... If you had the time, Mary Jo's is Exit 21 off of 85 South ... Oh! So worth the trip!!! The Walmart in Belmont (exit 27 off of 85 South) has a fabric department still ... and had a bunch of Disney last week ... there's also a Hobby Lobby on Franklin in Gastonia (between the Walmart in Belmont and Mary Jo's) ...

There's a Hancock Fabric in Matthews on Hwy 74 (between Monroe & Ikea) ... Does that help???

There's Hobby Lobby ... and I know one of the Walmarts on that side of town have a fabric department, but not sure which one (maybe arboretum? on Hwy 51) ... If you had the time, Mary Jo's is Exit 21 off of 85 South ... Oh! So worth the trip!!! The Walmart in Belmont (exit 27 off of 85 South) has a fabric department still ... and had a bunch of Disney last week ... there's also a Hobby Lobby on Franklin in Gastonia (between the Walmart in Belmont and Mary Jo's) ...

There's a Hancock Fabric in Matthews on Hwy 74 (between Monroe & Ikea) ... Does that help???

Whahooooo!!! Thanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter