Disboutiquers Part 24 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to ask this again just in case it was missed before:

Is there a trick to using satin with your embroidery machine? I have used it once before and it pulled away and frayed by the satin stitch. I would really like to use a satin for appliquing some ballet slippers but I don't want it to look awful. How do you guys get it to work? Thanks so much for the help!

Is there a trick to using satin with your embroidery machine? I have used it once before and it pulled away and frayed by the satin stitch. I would really like to use a satin for appliquing some ballet slippers but I don't want it to look awful. How do you guys get it to work? Thanks so much for the help!

I have never tried to use my machine on satin, sorry can't help with this one, but I would guess you would need a very small needle? like you would use on knits.:confused3

goodness you all have been very busy! I took a couple of days away from the computer and missed almost 20 pages!

just a couple of things I have been working on over the weekend:

for January's give:
217390_209545969069313_202716656418911_761047_402566_n.jpg

215459_209545915735985_202716656418911_761045_3036641_n.jpg

and for DGD3 (these are my absolutely favorite so far!)
216269_209545939069316_202716656418911_761046_1029075_n.jpg

thanks for looking!

I absolutly adore these, and was trying to figure out a way to dress up my DD flip flops. WOuld you mind doing a tut for this or do you sell them at all?

ETA: I am also planning to tackle a long list of dresses for our up coming trip. I see Jo anns has 30% of there Calicos prints. Would these fabrics be a good canidate for dress making? I still have a lot to learn about fabrics.

I have appliqued satin on the dresses of the minnie princesses, but I did not use any tricks, and I did not notice it pulling away or fraying. The designs did have a nice zigzag stitch over the edge of the satin before the satin stitch, maybe that helped to hold it down. Or maybe the big give recipients that are now the owners of the shirts are cussing me out this very minute for the shirts that are coming apart, and I will never know about it. All I can say is they looked fine when I finished them, can't speak for how well they held up.

I'm near Toronto. ( A 23 hour drive for WDW! :sad2: )

I was at Lens Mills Store in Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) and they had all sorts of Disney material.
Some of it was as much as $10/m (just a bit more than a yard), but they had some panels for $2 and $3.
I didn't buy any :confused3, as I stocked up on 4-way stretch material for $5/m, and couldn't justify buying any more material
when I had $100 already in my basket :rolleyes1! (3 bags of material later!)
My girls are taking figure skating and gymnastics lessons, so I am making dresses and bodysuits for them too, Jalie patterns!

I have a PE700 and have successfully done applique work with satin and tricot backed Lame metallics by using heatnbond lite to back the material with a good quality cotton woven material in the same or similar color as the satin or lame I am using. Make sure you are using the Lite kind of the heat n bond so you can sew thru it.

Its been a LONG while but I am back to peek in and say Hi! I miss chatting with all of you wonderful ladies (Mostly but there is at least one guy I remember) Hope everyone is doing well! Here are a few of my latest creations! Just wanted to share and read up on how everyone is doing! I think about this group often and miss it! With 4 kids it is so hard to find time to sew let alone get on the computer!

15-1.jpg

14-2.jpg

13-3.jpg

12-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

00-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

12.jpg

3-5.jpg

5-5.jpg

Thank you all for allowing me to share with you and I hope to be back into the swing of things and back often very very soon!

Candice

HELLO LADIES!!! I am SO excited...I catucally sewed a skirt had to redo the hem just once. WHAT A DIFFERENCE WITH A SERGER!!!!!! :banana::dance3::yay::woohoo::rotfl::cheer2:

BG

BG
Nice! I agree! I couldn't live without my serger now that I've got one.
goodness you all have been very busy! I took a couple of days away from the computer and missed almost 20 pages!

for January's give:

thanks for looking!
Love 'em!
How did you attach the bows to the flip flops? I have been wanting to do this, but I am not quite sure how to make sure they don't fall off.
Old Navy has had flip flops for $1 a pair on Memorial day the past couple of years. I'm hoping they do it again, and I can snag a bunch!
wanted to make something cute for a friend but her fav character is DONALD...I CAN"T FIND DONALD!!!! ARRGGGHHHH HAs anyone seen any fabric with him???
I have some fabric with Donald on it, but it has Daisy, Minnie and Mickey too. You could just cut DOnals head out and do a twirl like this:
boutique-1.jpg

this is the fabric (I know... It is totally vintage. lol. Don't you love the headbands)
fabric007.jpg

I would be happy to send some if you could use it.

We're getting down to the wire for our trip in May but as I started packing I started adding more things the baby "needed". So here is my CASE of the Jessie Toy Story dress. The boy has a buzz shirt to wear and the older 2 just won't match.

Lots of great stuff posted but since I'm usually browsing while nursing it gets too hard to quote everyone.

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg
SO cute! Where did you find the bandana fabric. I have been looking for some.

So ladies, I am hopping onto your thread. I havent posted on it before and wanted to share something I made for my youngest DD. She is 4 and loves Handy Manny and is soooo excited to meet him in September at H&V.

We had a Handy Manny b-day party when she was three, the cake lady was a tad confused when I gave her a girls name to write on the cake.

Anyway, there are ZERO girly outfits out there for girl Manny fans, so I had to take matters into my own hands and get creative.

I chopped off a pair of jeans and turned them into ruffly capris in primary Manny colors and then using my Cricut, MTC software, paint and freezer paper I made her t-shirt. That was tedious but worth the effort.

She will be the first to tell you that the nose is a little off, but that reminded her of Flynn Rider's nose problems in Tangled, so it worked out okay :D

Thanks so letting me share.

2ex94cg.jpg

10huarn.jpg

2e681ub.jpg

2z8zw2q.jpg
It came out great! Your daughter looks mighty happy with it!

Its been a LONG while but I am back to peek in and say Hi! I miss chatting with all of you wonderful ladies (Mostly but there is at least one guy I remember) Hope everyone is doing well! Here are a few of my latest creations! Just wanted to share and read up on how everyone is doing! I think about this group often and miss it! With 4 kids it is so hard to find time to sew let alone get on the computer!

15-1.jpg

14-2.jpg

13-3.jpg

12-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

00-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

12.jpg

3-5.jpg

5-5.jpg

Thank you all for allowing me to share with you and I hope to be back into the swing of things and back often very very soon!

Candice
HOLY SMOKES!! Did you do those all by hand? They are really fabulous! I love the bubble guppies feliz! That is my DD's fave show right now.

HOLY SMOKES!! Did you do those all by hand? They are really fabulous! I love the bubble guppies feliz! That is my DD's fave show right now.

Oh No NOT by hand lol Thank Goodness for the embord. machine! They are all machine appliqued! Thank you so much! My daughter loves the bubble guppies right now as well! She is in love with this dress and has tried to wear it everyday since I have finished it! Crazy kid will freeze with our silly weather! One day it is beautiful and in the 70's the next day freezing and in the 40s.

I have never tried to use my machine on satin, sorry can't help with this one, but I would guess you would need a very small needle? like you would use on knits.:confused3

I would have to use a knit needle since I want to put them on a t-shirt. Thanks!!!:thumbsup2

I have appliqued satin on the dresses of the minnie princesses, but I did not use any tricks, and I did not notice it pulling away or fraying. The designs did have a nice zigzag stitch over the edge of the satin before the satin stitch, maybe that helped to hold it down. Or maybe the big give recipients that are now the owners of the shirts are cussing me out this very minute for the shirts that are coming apart, and I will never know about it. All I can say is they looked fine when I finished them, can't speak for how well they held up.

I remember seeing yours and wondering how you did it. They looked great! When I tried it, it frayed and pulled away right away.:confused3

I have a PE700 and have successfully done applique work with satin and tricot backed Lame metallics by using heatnbond lite to back the material with a good quality cotton woven material in the same or similar color as the satin or lame I am using. Make sure you are using the Lite kind of the heat n bond so you can sew thru it.

Thanks!!! So, let me make sure I understand this....you put heat n bon lite on the back of the sating and the other side of the heat n bond is a similiar fabric color and then you proceed as normal with your embroidery machine? Is that right? Thanks! I was hoping someone could help out b/c I don't have the $ to waste a shirt right now.:cutie:

15-1.jpg

Candice

All of these are so wonderful! What size hoop do you have?

REMINDER TO ALL
Teacher Appreciation Day is May 3. Time to get cracking on gifts for your children's teacher's. I am a big advocate of taking care of our children's teachers. They work very hard and oftern spend more waking time with your child that you do. Take care of the person that takes care of them. Even if you just do something small like buy a flower for their garden and give a card of cute poem, DO IT!!!! My kids share a teacher so I have it easy this year. But ds also has a tutor, so she gets a gift too. I am making totoe bags, luggage tags, bookmarks, keyrings (hopefully if I remember to order the hardware!), and likely a bracelet for each. I may also try covering clipboards or doing notebook packets.

And I am NOT a teacher ~ I have been very lucky to always have great teachers for my children though and like to remember all that they do for my kids.

As a teacher....Thank you! Even cards are awesome!!! I didn't even know when TA Day was :) Thanks for the reminder

All of these are so wonderful! What size hoop do you have?

I used a Mega hoop for these designs but not the entire hoop size. I wish I had more of a width on my hoop so I could make the larger designs! The look a little silly when I do them the entire length of the hoop! They look like skinny little things! Thank you for your kind words!:lovestruc

Just popping in with an update on my FIL...

Since last update, he has gone home from the nursing home. He was not getting the care he needed there so his wife set up a hospital bed at home and had a home nurse come in. He has still been not doing well. This weekend he told his wife he will not got back to the hospital and signed a DNR. So, today he has been referred to Hospice. We are waiting for his evaluation from Hospice today to see what we need to do. Most likely DH will travel to Ohio tomorrow alone and come back Thursday so he can spend some time with his dad. Just say some prayers is all I ask. These are difficult days.
:hug: I am sorry for what you are going through.

HELLO LADIES!!! I am SO excited...I catucally sewed a skirt had to redo the hem just once. WHAT A DIFFERENCE WITH A SERGER!!!!!!
BG

BG
Wow! Looks great :) That skirt fabric goes really well with the shirt.

for January's give:

thanks for looking!
All very cute! I have some plain red flipflops to doctor up for dd but I'm not that great with bows ~ I can do them, but it takes me forever!

QUESTION

I am sewing a pair of shorts from DS baketball ones kinda like the easy fit.....Can I do front and back from the same pattern that I traced or is there a difference?
Use just the one pattern you traced, and cut two on the fold as indicated on the pattern. Each piece will make one leg, so it's part front and part back once it's sewn together. Just follow Carla's directions and mark your waist so you don't mix it up with the leg.

I had to chuckle that Chase flagged your account for a fabric shopping spree!
Discover would call me wondering if I lost my card if it was in ABSENCE of multiple fabric purchases.

Hi! I live in Ontario, Canada, and I've been lurking for a LONG time! :surfweb:
I love looking at all the creations! You are all so talented, and I get lots of inspiration.
I am a beginner/novice sewer, but have learned a lot from YCMT patterns! I am a SAHM with 2 girls and 1 boy.
Will add more in next post, so I can get to add photos!
Sue
Welcome -- keep posting -- you need 10 to post pics.

ETA: I am also planning to tackle a long list of dresses for our up coming trip. I see Jo anns has 30% of there Calicos prints. Would these fabrics be a good canidate for dress making? I still have a lot to learn about fabrics.
Calicos work great for dresses. As a matter of fact, Minnie dot is a calico keepsake!

Or maybe the big give recipients that are now the owners of the shirts are cussing me out this very minute for the shirts that are coming apart, and I will never know about it.
:rotfl:

th_15-1.jpg
th_14-2.jpg
th_13-3.jpg

th_12-2.jpg
th_7-2.jpg
th_9-2.jpg

th_00-1.jpg
th_8-1.jpg
th_12-1.jpg

th_12.jpg
th_3-5.jpg
th_5-5.jpg

Candice
Looks to me like you have plenty of time to sew! Lovely and absolutely amazing creations!!! The Hello Kitty in the bikini is by far my favorite ~ so cute!

As a teacher....Thank you! Even cards are awesome!!!
You are most welcome! Teacher's are such important role models for our children and just like us parents, you are very underpaid. You all deserve to be showered with blessings every day.

Do you have any in particular that you like? I made my Mom an ITH eyeglass case the other day, but I forgot to take a picture!

I'm hoping my favorite digitizer (heathersue, my little sister) will make some more ITH designs soon. I even offered to write up the directions for them if she does!

OMgoosh!! Way too many. I love to do these keyrings for lip balm or USB port. That is by EmbroideryGarden.com , I also made her tissue box covers. SmartNeedle.com has some great stuff also. I made headband covers that were different. You make one half, rehoop, cut a hole in the stablizer, slip the part you made through the hole, and make the second half. I have a pattern for pot holders, but I haven't got around to them yet.

Someone posted that they used lightweight interfacing and it worked fairly well.

Candice

Candice, everything is fabulous!!!

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. Everyone in my house has been sick for the better part of two months. During that time we bought Tangled. dd fell in love so I decided to make her a dress. She's a bit shy, but she did model it

216690_10100699019211743_5246567_68252061_4292674_n.jpg

217424_10100699019346473_5246567_68252063_8264426_n.jpg

If you are wondering, I altered two patterns then combined them. The skirt is from the Juliet Dress (YCMT) and the bodice is, very loosely, Whimsy Couture Peasant Dress

15-1.jpg

Everthing is gorgeous. That is a whole lot of applique, and the feliz is just the perfect tableau for it.

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. Everyone in my house has been sick for the better part of two months. During that time we bought Tangled. dd fell in love so I decided to make her a dress. She's a bit shy, but she did model it

If you are wondering, I altered two patterns then combined them. The skirt is from the Juliet Dress (YCMT) and the bodice is, very loosely, Whimsy Couture Peasant Dress

Very pretty. The little girl and the dress.

LOVE it! I adore the fabric and what a cool pattern (I was going to ask what pattern you used, but I read ahead :)
Thanks so much!! I never read ahead so you are way ahead of me.

Great job on the dress!
Thank you

You did an amazing job. I love the fabric and the pleats look really nice.
Thanks feels like my first big girl outfit :)

Good job, it looks great.
Thanks so much

Just popping in with an update on my FIL...

Since last update, he has gone home from the nursing home. He was not getting the care he needed there so his wife set up a hospital bed at home and had a home nurse come in. He has still been not doing well. This weekend he told his wife he will not got back to the hospital and signed a DNR. So, today he has been referred to Hospice. We are waiting for his evaluation from Hospice today to see what we need to do. Most likely DH will travel to Ohio tomorrow alone and come back Thursday so he can spend some time with his dad. Just say some prayers is all I ask. These are difficult days.
My families prayers are with your family

for January's give:

thanks for looking!
Love them. I acutally bought some E6000 and clothespins this weekend to do this..now just need the flipflops --oops :)

I love the name of your picture. :thumbsup2

This turned out really cute!!! I can tell your daughter loves it too!
She actually did made me happy. Thanks!!

15-1.jpg

14-2.jpg

13-3.jpg

12-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

00-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

12.jpg

3-5.jpg

5-5.jpg

Candice
BEAUTIFUL and might I add...I now have a serious case of Hoop Envy!!

Lorelei is in love and wants one of these now too. I have got to keep that child off this board she wants one of everything she sees. This turned out absolutely gorgeous!!

No worries, I just need to watch your post for a few minutes so I can see all your great pictures scroll by.

:laughing: Can you see two sets? I always remember AFTER I set up my signature that I have this wide screen, and everything is always squished at work. Haha! So I had to add the little blurb at the beginning of my signature.

Great stuff, everyone!! I've barely made a dent in the thread, but I'm already feeling inspired!!

I have looked in Walmart and in Joanns...I am looking for the dolphin fabric to try and make AJ a pair of shorts and Eva a skirt for SeaWorld but have come up EMPTY...Any suggestions?

Found it online!! Thanks ladies!!

I would think that you could iron the satin onto some iron on stabilizer to help get rid of that problem. I haven't tried it but I think it would work ok. I don't generally use satin on my appliques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter