Disboutiquers Part 24 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm late too. At least I made it! Can anyone tell me if the fabric swap yahoo group is still active? It looks like nothing has been posted since 2009?

Finished up a bunch of projects this weekend. Trying to figure out the easiest way to post pics.

Ugh....I had a nice multiquote going....then I hit the backspace and wiped it all out.

I love the Mardi Gras outfit....

The rag quilt looks great...I didn't see the link for it either.

All the stuff for the gives are amazing!!!

I'll have to look into the wheelchair decorations.... I could probably sign up for some of those. hmmmm.

the 100 day Mickey shirt looks great....very time consuming..and kudos for the patience!!

I went to Joann's the other day with a 20%off coupon...and I promised DD14 we were there for beads only....now I wish I bribed her to browse the fabric too. Oh well. I think we spent enough anyway :lmao:

Tomorrow (well today) I am hoping to get a decent amount of DD12s project linus quilt done.

Being sick for 3 days really doesn't help an already tight deadline. ick.

Happy Sunday. :)

ANDREA!!!!! AWESOME visit and posts!! I loved seeing them!! How did you make the wheelchair decorations? Is it something you found or came up with ? Im wondering if you could post a tutorial or something so the other wish kids who have special wheelchairs (like Kade) could enjoy them too!!! I really love your raggie bags!!!!

I searched high and low on Google for wheelchair decorations and finally found one thing: a lady attached a store bought butterfly used for decorating kid's rooms with a pipe cleaner to her wheelchair handle. I had to be a little more creative since my decorations couldn't bounce around so much.

This is how I did them (perhaps I can make one for Kade and take pics as I go along) but before anyone tries them I want a report back from Shelby on how well they "stood up."

For Minnie I cut out felt with pinking shears and put a couple of layers of smaller sized batting inside for some puffiness. I inserted a drinking straw for the handle and sewed all along the edges including right over the straw (the straw goes up into the fabric at least two inches). After that, I took a wooden skewer (the kind used for cooking -- kabobs) and jammed it into the straw up into the fabric. It takes a little shoving to get it through the stitches but was really needed for firmness. I just taped the end of the straw so the skewer wouldn't slide out. I then covered the straw that was sticking out with two pipecleaners and attached another pipecleaner to the bottom (just by twisting it) so they can wrap that around the wheelchair handle or arm.

On my doorknob I had a little problem because they wanted to spin to the side and upside down, but my levered handles are shiny, smooth and slippery. I am hoping twisting the pipecleaner around a rubberized or padded wheel chair handle will hold up a little better. If you or anyone could think of anything helpful to make the decorations stand straight up let me know.

For Barney I just used felt with a sticky back and did no sewing -- just stuck two pieces together and drew his face on with marker -- didn't want to sew over the sticky things and gum up my machine.

Those tote bags were a no brainer -- no pattern needed when piecing squares together. The girls really seemed to like them too. I know my dd likes having bags to carry toys to the car (note I said to the car, not from the car as the backseat of my car looks like a very messy playroom!). I think most girls like purses and bags.

Thank you. The Car's fabric is a big hit at our house! We got it from Walmart, back in the day when ours still had fabric. :headache: That still irritates me. Hobby Lobby is close, but they are expensive, and JoAnn's is far away and expensive.
I'm done with helping kids with homework and we made/ate dinner, so now to the dress. I had read that a lot of people skip the middle layer, so that was my plan. Lining with muslin is a great idea, thanks.
I don't want to be a pain, but I don't see the link for the quilt edges. Could you post it again, please, and thank you so much!

I am so sorry I forgot to attach the link! :guilty: I went back and edited the post so it shows up, but for your convenience here it is:
http://sew4home.com/projects/bed-linens/348-stylish-baby-nursery-scalloped-rag-baby-quilt

We still have two Walmarts that carry fabric :) One is already a Super Walmart and one is switching to a SuperWalmart but the ladies promise me that fabric is staying!!! Though they were told they are getting a smaller cutting table (which the already SuperWalmart has). Their selection has also gotten smaller, but it is still decent. Their prices have gone up a little too -- almost everything used to be $4 a yard and now it's getting closer to $5 a yard for most things. I can still find some cheap solids though, but otherwise coupons/sales at Joanns or Hancocks end up being comparable. I love the discount bin though -- most fabric on it is $2.50 a yard -- hit or miss what they have, but I'm not complaining!

Wow! You did a lot for them! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. It sounds like everyone had a good time from their PTR.

I have to share my fabric find of the day! I was at Fabricland as they had a 50% off sale today. I found this fabric in their bargin section - 100% cotton at $4/metre ($2/metre after the discount!)
AKFabric.jpg

I think I now have the right fabric to make outfits for Animal Kingdom (though I wondered after the fact if I should have bought more of the animal print!) I also saw the polka dot fabric Squirrel referred to in an earlier post, though my store wanted $15/metre for them at the regular price.

I love that animal print! I just snatched some up at Walmart (a different fabric but still great for AK) in the discount bin. I have learned to buy a lot if it's cheap, but my print only had 1 3/4 yds left on the bolt.

Wanted to share with you about Khelsey's bibs as I told Shelby the issues we had with them being thick -- her MIL makes them and they are just a single layer hemmed on all sides. The one she had on was flannel so just a good single layer absorbent fabric is all! She seemed to like the terry underside on mine though, and I think she will hopefully be able to make all of ours work.

Wanted to share with you about Khelsey's bibs as I told Shelby the issues we had with them being thick -- her MIL makes them and they are just a single layer hemmed on all sides. The one she had on was flannel so just a good single layer absorbent fabric is all! She seemed to like the terry underside on mine though, and I think she will hopefully be able to make all of ours work.

I used Terry on the bottom of the bib I made. I actually need to either go to Joanns or order more since I need to make my nephew some more bibs. my SIL likes the regular kind of bibs so I just upsized a bib pattern from YCMT for him.

I need to find an apron pattern to make a gift for a few friends. I am trying to decide if I want a half apron or a full bib apron. Think I will browse YCMT today to see if they have what I want because I do not have enough projects on tap. :lmao:

I used Terry on the bottom of the bib I made. I actually need to either go to Joanns or order more since I need to make my nephew some more bibs. my SIL likes the regular kind of bibs so I just upsized a bib pattern from YCMT for him.

I just used terry on the bottoms of the bibs too, but on the first two I made I lined them, so it was two layers of fabric and harder to tie. On the last one I did I only hemmed the top edge and used terry on the bottom and it ties soooooo much easier! The one you made should work fine.

I need to find an apron pattern to make a gift for a few friends. I am trying to decide if I want a half apron or a full bib apron. Think I will browse YCMT today to see if they have what I want because I do not have enough projects on tap. :lmao:
I have several commercial patterns. It can't be very hard to make. I wish you lived close so I could just meet and give them to you.

THanks SUE!!! Sue is going to do the tink shirts to match Alicia's capri's for Taylor and Sami! Thanks to all those who offered - this is such a special group - love ya all!!!:grouphug:

I got the outside done of the rosetta bag...next the lining and strap! I'll finish that tomorrow - I dont sew well after 10!! lol:rotfl:
Wendy, how is the bag coming together for you? I thought it was easy other than my mistake with the ruffles. You are wise not to sew when tired.

Been a busy few days here and you guys are already on page 10. WOW!! I have to say, everything posted lately is super cute, and the kiddo's are all adorable! Been saying prayers for all who need them.
I mistakenly thought I had another week to do Korissa's give, but thankfully, somebody mentioned it on here, and then, I realized the real time frame. I got the shirts done last night, and posted the pix on the big give site this afternoon. I will mail them out on Tuesday.
I will also be mailing these blankets to Lisa on Tuesday. We originally signed up for 5, but ended up making 12. Glad we could be a part of this. It really is amazing!
02-13-11032.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm going to start my very first Simply Sweet. I read over the directions, and it looks very straight forward, so I'm excited!!! I'll keep ya posted on my progress.
The blankets are so nice. They look so soft and cuddlie. You are so nice to do the gives. The families really do appreciate all you give.

Andrea, everything that was posted for the give is very lovely. Ladies, you are a marvelous group and give so very much to others. It is so kind of all of you and warms my heart.

Right now I am working on making a few things to give to little warrior Ian who is only 4 years old. We will be there and plan to drop off the package at his resort.

Today is snowboarding. I will not hit my head, I will not hit my head, I will not hit my head!!!!

I thought I would go ahead and share the things I've made for Kaitlyn this year.

Easy Fit pants to match T-shirts my mom bought for her:
th_IMG_3626.jpg

Oh, and there is officially money in my savings account towards an embroidery machine! :yay:

:thumbsup2 Love all the outfits and YEAH for saving towards an embroidery machine.

I just got the call, my DVC sold within 24 hours of listing.

WOW that is so fantastic.

I went to visit Big Give recipient Khelsey and her family today. I posted some pics of them opening gifts on Khelsey's pretrip report but really didn't get good photos of the items themselves while there, so I am posting now.

Here is what I made:
Luggage tags for all: Side with names:
th_012-1.jpg

I'm hoping this is a link to Khelsey's Pre-trip Report (my pics are on pg. 16):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40014090#post40014090
Andrea WOW what a wonderful job you did on all the items. How sweet that you were able to meet them in person.:goodvibes

As I have looked through the majority of these posts I can't help but think wow...followed by how can I make this in adult pooh size for me and my wheelchair-bound mom! I love the feliz (buttruffle dress) and vida (no buttruffle dress) and would love some in tunic form but would need to make them hold in my ladies kwim! some of the stories on here are also amazing! I would love to be able to help with the big gives but all my money is going into our next trip...we went in sept of 09 and my mom went on tot and before that we hadn't been since I was six! In the time since the first trip(when I was six) my parents got divorced, and on November 4, 1995 my brother was killed 25 days before his 17th birthday. my mom's favorite character is eeyore but she is more like Peter Pan. She is 52 and will never grow up. We are hoping to go to WDW again in the fall of 2012 money and god willing.

sorry for my novel post! Keep up the amazing creations I love looking at!

Michelle
:welcome: and so sorry to hear all the tragedy that your family has gone through.

Today is snowboarding. I will not hit my head, I will not hit my head, I will not hit my head!!!!
:thumbsup2

I finished my nephews birthday present. I can't believe he is 8 yrs old today! He has a fascination with vehicles and he really like construction vehicles but I couldn't find any fabric so I settled on race cars.

Sewing004-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the car cozy open
Sewing008.jpg
[/IMG]

This was a very easy tutorial I found here
http://mygratitudeattitudes.blogspot.com/2009/09/car-cozie-tutorial-and-etsy-re.html

She uses flannel for the road, I used cotton and a piece of ribbon for the lines and I think it works just fine.

I love this site and this thread! I have been sewing since I was a little girl. I am currently working on outfits for DLP in March! I can't wait to post them on here!

LOVE all the outfits! The car cozy and the bag are a great idea. Cannot wait to try that one out. Boy, being on here is definetly bad for me. My to do list is too long!

I am so sorry I forgot to attach the link! :guilty: I went back and edited the post so it shows up, but for your convenience here it is:
http://sew4home.com/projects/bed-linens/348-stylish-baby-nursery-scalloped-rag-baby-quilt

We still have two Walmarts that carry fabric :) One is already a Super Walmart and one is switching to a SuperWalmart but the ladies promise me that fabric is staying!!! Though they were told they are getting a smaller cutting table (which the already SuperWalmart has). Their selection has also gotten smaller, but it is still decent. Their prices have gone up a little too -- almost everything used to be $4 a yard and now it's getting closer to $5 a yard for most things. I can still find some cheap solids though, but otherwise coupons/sales at Joanns or Hancocks end up being comparable. I love the discount bin though -- most fabric on it is $2.50 a yard -- hit or miss what they have, but I'm not complaining!

Thank you so much for that link. I will probably add a small blanket to my list for the trip, for my son in the stroller. It may get a little chilly at night while we are there. I browsed through some of the other projects they have up on that site and some look like great ideas for Christmas presents. I'm excited! Thanks again for the link! Great find!
Good luck with your Walmart keeping fabric. I hope it stays for you. I love the bargain bin. Found so much great stuff in there over the years!

I finished my nephews birthday present. I can't believe he is 8 yrs old today! He has a fascination with vehicles and he really like construction vehicles but I couldn't find any fabric so I settled on race cars.

Sewing004-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the car cozy open
Sewing008.jpg
[/IMG]

This was a very easy tutorial I found here
http://mygratitudeattitudes.blogspot.com/2009/09/car-cozie-tutorial-and-etsy-re.html

She uses flannel for the road, I used cotton and a piece of ribbon for the lines and I think it works just fine.

Happy b-day to him! I'm sure he's going to love it. It's really cute. Great job. Thanks for the link.

I am looking for a pattern to make a zippered bag or tote bag to carry in the parks. My mom insists on a zipper. I'm not crafty enough to figure out how to add that to an existing pattern.

Last night, I got the Simply Sweet cut out. That wasn't too bad at all. I will start construction today, hoping to finish it. I was going to do it last night, but my son was giving me that face that says, "you spend a lot of time making fancy things for my sister, when is it my turn?" So, when I was done cutting her dress pieces, I tried my hand again at applique on the shirt I made him earlier in the week with Lightning McQueen on it. Yeah, I tried. My machine acted up, so after several failed attempts, I decided it would be best to stop and go to bed. I'm going to try again today. I am determined to successfully accomplish this applique thing, no matter what.

MinnieVanMom: Snowboarding sounds like so much fun. Please be careful, though! All our snow melted last week with the warm up we had, and now, it's raining, a lot. So glad this is rain, not snow, or it would surely be another 20+ inches.

I posted my shirts for Korissa, but need an address. Any mods have a chance to send me an address today, please. Thanks so much!

Ellen, those backpacks are incredible!!!

I am looking for a BEGINNERS embroidery machine. Nothing more than 3-4 hundred. any suggestions? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter