Disboutiquers Part 24 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I've not posted here in AGES! It seems that my sewing time is very limited, and I've started quilting more, so that cuts into my clothing creation time as well. I also had 3 surgeries in 4 months and I've been doing OT for the past two months, and, well, there's just not been much time.

I DID just recently make something that makes my DD very happy! Her first father/daughter dance is tonight. This dress came in perfectly! It's a test for a new Sis Boom pattern that is in the works (called the Marissa).

FATHERDAUGHTERDANCE.jpg

SO, I thought I'd share!

Hope to have something new to share soon - we have a trip planned for the end of the summer, and I've been working on lots of fun things that will work for both my quilting projects as well as our upcoming trip!

Oh that dress is fabulous and my daughter would love it for our cruise in August.

Need to go do Cs hair and make up we are off to a dance competition soon

Sorry to be repeating myself but I didn't get an answer when I originally posted this question. I am just curious about ESTY and also one of my co-workers' wives makes homemade soaps that everyone loves. I told him I thought ESTY might be a good place for her to broaden her market. Thanks for any info!

I will give my experience - even though I've only had my store open for less than a week. :confused3

Actually - I opened my store back in January - as soon as I had a name, because then I was able to get the URL I wanted... even then, I had to compromise a bit.

I worked the entire month of February, building up my stock, working on graphics and store policies... I probably did over kill on my policies - but having worked in retail management my entire adult life, and now moderating an active message board - I have found out that having easy to read rules and expectations written out in advance just protects everyone. :lovestruc

It is very easy to list items on Etsy. Most people will want to list everything right away... but the most views you get to your store is when your items are first listed. Someone told me to trickle them on there - so that's what I've been doing. I opened my store with 3 outfits, then I have listed one every day since. The only problem I am finding with that, is that two of my outfits sold with in 30 minutes of listing - so then my store loses views that day because my most recently listed item then becomes the one I'd listed the day before. Make sense?

Etsy is also a very busy place... it helps to have a good customer base (I think) and a way to advertise your wares - otherwise people don't know that you have an Etsy store and they don't know to look there for you.

A friend of mine from work has a store on Etsy - and she has been very helpful with advise... everything she has told me has really rung true. She told me not to expect great things when my store opens, because Etsy really isn't condusive to making a living like that... it takes a while to become established - just like any business. She said that it really helps to have your store featured by Etsy - however - considering how many stores are on Etsy - the odds of that happening are pretty scarce. But she is also selling in a totally different section than I am - she is in jewelery - and that market is very saturated there.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with a more established store than what I have will chime in and give you (and me) some pointers, as well. :lovestruc

Good luck!!! :)
D~

editphoto.php

I'll get a picture of her wearing it tomorrow if I can. This is the size 1 (instead of the size 2)
bah! I can't get facebook to show up- I really dislike their new photo display

This is just adorable... I love little swing tops/dresses with the pom-poms on the bottom. :)

D~

Sorry to be repeating myself but I didn't get an answer when I originally posted this question. I am just curious about ESTY and also one of my co-workers' wives makes homemade soaps that everyone loves. I told him I thought ESTY might be a good place for her to broaden her market. Thanks for any info!

I think soaps is a very different market-I think the answer is - "it depends"
For those with a lot of product and have been on for a long time, they no doubt have word of mouth and repeat customers to help their business, others also double up- and have both facebook and etsy locations. some advertise on facebook for their etsy account.

I like etsy because it's easy to use, inexpensive to list things, easy to move things around- put things on hold, list new item.
Etsy is certainly a growing market, and special because everything there is handmade (except for supplies, etc)

She could certainly go to etsy, check out the other soap makers, see how much product they list, history they have, feedback, and that would give her a feel for how soap sells on etsy.

Teresa- THANKS FOR THE TIP ON HOW TO ACCESS FB PHOTOS the OLD WAY!:banana::banana:

Sorry, I have no experience with ETSY except purchasing a few designs on there now and then.

I still cant find my perfect rainbow design!!

:goodvibes
WOW! I've not posted here in AGES! It seems that my sewing time is very limited, and I've started quilting more, so that cuts into my clothing creation time as well. I also had 3 surgeries in 4 months and I've been doing OT for the past two months, and, well, there's just not been much time.

I DID just recently make something that makes my DD very happy! Her first father/daughter dance is tonight. This dress came in perfectly! It's a test for a new Sis Boom pattern that is in the works (called the Marissa).

th_FATHERDAUGHTERDANCE.jpg

SO, I thought I'd share!

Hope to have something new to share soon - we have a trip planned for the end of the summer, and I've been working on lots of fun things that will work for both my quilting projects as well as our upcoming trip!

Oh I will have to get this pattern.:love: I love the dress and your DD looks so pretty. Plus the name of the pattern is my brother's girlfriend. Hopefully soon to be fiance:love:

editphoto.php

I'll get a picture of her wearing it tomorrow if I can. This is the size 1 (instead of the size 2)
bah! I can't get facebook to show up- I really dislike their new photo display

Cute. I like the rainbow buttons too:goodvibes

She looks darling! I love Father Daughter dances. Lydia and Brian went to one a few weeks ago. She was beyond excited. This was the first year she got her Daddy to herself, because Arminda was too old (according to the dance organizers, not her!).

I'm sorry to hear that you had to have so many operations, and I truly hope that you are ok.

They had a great time! What a sweet night it was!

Thanks for the well wishes regarding my health. It's been a long road, and I'm still walking it, but one day at a time. I'm beginning to see progress, and that's a good thing.

Oh that dress is fabulous and my daughter would love it for our cruise in August.

this would be a PERFECT cruise dress! And it goes together VERY quickly!

:goodvibes

Oh I will have to get this pattern.:love: I love the dress and your DD looks so pretty. Plus the name of the pattern is my brother's girlfriend. Hopefully soon to be fiance:love:

Sounds like a perfect reason to get the new pattern to me!

thanks for all of the positve comments on my DD's dress! It was so fun to sew again after not being able to do so for so long. And even after not sewing for a while, this pattern came together VERY easily!

Everything looks great!! Did you use the simplicity pattern 9902 for the Belle dress? It looks like the one that I used. It is very pretty!

I used the Simplicity 9902 as well.
34820_1232460948459_1737227318_407632_5444199_n.jpg
I stalked facebook and etsy for a very long time to find one for a good price, I wasn't willing to pay $50 for it. I eventually ended up finding what I wanted, but it took quite a while.

Yup it was Simplicity 9902. I bought it probably 5 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

So, I've been busy and barely keeping up here. I know that some of you wanted to see my princess outfits when I finished them.

The first one is Snow White. I loved designing this one, but it turned out a little more plain than I would have liked. Then I got to looking at Snow White's dress - and it is a little plain...

aCIMG8520.jpg

The next one is Princess Tiana... This one was so much fun to do! I love how every little bit of it turned out.
aCIMG8538.jpg

I took the picture of the frog sitting in Tiana's hand, stretching out his neck and waiting for her kiss... I hand drew it on the fabric, and then I hand embroidered it. Not as fancy as some of your machines can do it - but I was very happy with how it turned out. :)
aCIMG8541.jpg

And I recreated Tiana's flower as a hair clip... it really gave this outfit a little extra! :lovestruc
aCIMG8543.jpg

I have Rapunzel's outfit almost finished... I just have some embroidery work to do on that one. So, that's what I've been designing lately. :)
D~

I love these dresses. The little embroideries are darling. Our dear sweet Betty is smaller then an AG, or I'd love them.

FATHERDAUGHTERDANCE.jpg

SO, I thought I'd share!

We don't have Father Daughter dances around here. It amazes me whenever I read about one. The dress is darling! And your DD of course.

Here are the rest of our trip outfits.

I don't have a great pic of these. It is really just a Minnie peasant dress. Nothing special.
disney200913.jpg

disneyweek2311.jpg

Family Tee's
disney200912.jpg

this is the best pic I could find of the twirl skirt I made the girls to go with it:
disneyweek2182.jpg

disney20099.jpg

these skirts were my absolute favorite. They were so poofy, and definitely got the most attention! They still fit them too, so I think they will wear them again with new tee's on our next trip!
disney20098.jpg

disney20094.jpg

disney20092.jpg

Cinderella asked them to take a pic of the back because they had a bow "just like hers" She made a HUGE deal of the girls outfits.
disney20095.jpg

Ok, I have a question (related to my park bag comment earlier :rolleyes1)
For those of you who have been to Disneyland, where would you recommend eating off site? DH is going to a conference in LA in April (I am sure you know where this is going...) and I will be joining him after this conference to go to Disneyland! We want to know if there are good places to eat near the parks that don't cost a fortune. We won't have a car but both of us are in pretty good shape so walking is not a problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

I need to be quick because the battery is going to die, but there are so many places right outside Disneyland to eat. Do you know where you will be staying? Disney hotel? Or a good neighbor? Either way, you can walk to several. Dallas' favorite is Mimi's and we eat there almost once a day. It is VERY well run too. The one here we can't even go to anymore because we just can't get service. It is crazy! Next to Mimi's is Millie's and it is super good too. It doesn't give off that nicer fancier feel but don't let that fool you. Delicious food and large variety. There is also a Quizno's, McD's, Captain Kidd's (no way would I ever eat there, LOL). Tony Roma's, YUMMY!!! Then there is some chinese place and subway a bit past Katella. I didn't eat there but DH and Jham's DH did. We took the kids to McD's last night. And those are just the walk from HoJo to Disney, not far at walk. I know there are more. I think IHOP and Denny's are both there. It is so different then WDW food wise.

Time for another one!

I am waiting for you to have another first! LOL!

:surfweb: Dallas chose that guy.

I don't have a great pic of these. It is really just a Minnie peasant dress. Nothing special.
disney200913.jpg

disneyweek2311.jpg

Family Tee's
disney200912.jpg

this is the best pic I could find of the twirl skirt I made the girls to go with it:
disneyweek2182.jpg

disney20099.jpg

these skirts were my absolute favorite. They were so poofy, and definitely got the most attention! They still fit them too, so I think they will wear them again with new tee's on our next trip!
disney20098.jpg

disney20094.jpg

disney20092.jpg

Cinderella asked them to take a pic of the back because they had a bow "just like hers" She made a HUGE deal of the girls outfits.
disney20095.jpg

i love how the little one is looking up at cinderella:love:

disney200913.jpg

disneyweek2311.jpg

Family Tee's
disney200912.jpg

disneyweek2182.jpg

disney20099.jpg

disney20098.jpg

disney20094.jpg

disney20092.jpg

disney20095.jpg

I just love all of these... that story about Cinderella's bow is just precious! :lovestruc

D~

I admit...I have never made a pillow case dress or top. I have found the template for the armholes for a smaller kids size, but my 10 year old wants to make a pillowcase top to wear this summer.

Has anyone seen the template for the arm hole in a larger size? I know there is a pattern on YCMT that is basically a pillowcase top...but I am not sure I want to pay for it. (Yes, I am cheap!) I only need the armhole template!

Thanks....and to the certain someone with the American Girl Disney inspired clothes...your prices are way too low!

Nini

I am home but tired from our vacation. I also got a bad cold while down in Florida so not feeling so well. The day of our arrival we had 6 people all in pirate attire. One fellow disboutiquer talked to DH but I was in line and never got to say hi.

I guess our outfits made an impact as we hear "it's them" and got many comments all day long. I would post pictures but they are on the other computer.

We had a blast and are so happy to be going back in just 3 weeks. Because my DVC contact didn't close yet, I was able to do a 25 point add on. I am still DVC!!

Thanks....and to the certain someone with the American Girl Disney inspired clothes...your prices are way too low!

Nini

LOL Nini! :) Sorry I can't help you out with your arm hole template - I've never made a pillowcase dress. :lovestruc

I thought I'd do a quick drive by to post my Rapunzel outfit... this will be it for a while, as I haven't started on any of the other princesses yet... I do plan to start Cinderella and Briar Rose today though. :wizard:

Anyways here's Rapunzel:
aCIMG8550.jpg

Close-up of the hand embroidery and the hand worked chain stitches:
aCIMG8559.jpg

:)
D~

I am home but tired from our vacation. I also got a bad cold while down in Florida so not feeling so well. The day of our arrival we had 6 people all in pirate attire. One fellow disboutiquer talked to DH but I was in line and never got to say hi.

I guess our outfits made an impact as we hear "it's them" and got many comments all day long. I would post pictures but they are on the other computer.

We had a blast and are so happy to be going back in just 3 weeks. Because my DVC contact didn't close yet, I was able to do a 25 point add on. I am still DVC!!

Welcome back!!! I can't wait to see your pictures! :lovestruc

D~

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter