Disboutiquers Part 23 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in the car driving south to Ft Lauderdale to cruise on Allure of the Seas, inaugural voyage. I've been sewing like a mad woman, but didn't take the time to photo anything before I packed. Rebecca has 7 new sets of dressy playclothes and 3 brand new dresses for dinners. With 2 other sundresses I made last summer that weren't worn but a few times, all but one outfit is handmade. I feel like a real Disboutiquer now, even if they aren't all customs for WDW. :). The one dinner outfit that is storebought was picked out as a surprise from her biggest sister, and it's really cute...even has machine embroidery on it, so it looks handmade. LOL

I hope everyone has a great week! I'll probably have lots to catch up on when I get back. :)

Hi ladies, I have not posted here in a long time! I'm hoping some of you ladies can give suggestions. I am in the market for a new sewing machine. I've been using the Singer Simple from Walmart for $99 for 3 years now. I'm ready to move on. :) It has been fine but I really am ready for a better machine.

I do not need anything over the to fancy but do want something that can grow with me. For the most part I sew little kids clothing. I want a machine that will allow me to adjust both stitch length and width which my cheapo Singer just will not do. I'd like something with adjustable speed as I'd like to be able to teach my daughter to sew with this machine. I'd also like a one-step buttonhole. I want it to be smooth......not vibrating off the table like my Singer.

Does anyone have suggestions? Anything you love or hate? I have been reading reviews, etc. on other sites but there are SO many different machines out there! I'm so overwhelmed.
Hi! The Brother CS6000i is a wonderful machine....I LOVE mine....It has the features you mentioned, speed control, one step buttonhole, muliple settings for stitch width, etc. It also has the feature that the needle stops in the down position which is helpful for turning corners, doing appliques with it. It is available at walmart.com for $169.00 with no cost shipping with the "site to store" shipping option. Being a Brother machine it is also VERY user-friendly! Nana

I also had an inexpensive machine from WalMart and then for Mother's Day my husband told me I could pick out an embroidery machine. I chose the Brother Innovis 1500D, it does sewing and embroidery. I absolutely LOVE it. I think it is probably more than what you are looking for, but since no one else had replied I thought I would :) Good luck in your search!

Thanks you everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to look at the Brother 6000. Is the Innovis 1500D tough to figure out? Is this the "Disney" machine that comes with Disney embroidery? I just don't want to spend years learning how to figure out the new machine. The sewing machine store I looked at offers classes if you buy through them so I'm sure that would help.

Here's a video on how to do a 1 layer fleece blanket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59h8wgDgTRg

I think I'll have to do a blanket. Britney was from Massachusetts.

Thanks!

Hi! The Brother CS6000i is a wonderful machine....I LOVE mine....It has the features you mentioned, speed control, one step buttonhole, muliple settings for stitch width, etc. It also has the feature that the needle stops in the down position which is helpful for turning corners, doing appliques with it. It is available at walmart.com for $169.00 with no cost shipping with the "site to store" shipping option. Being a Brother machine it is also VERY user-friendly! Nana

I also have this machine and LOVE it! All brother machines in my opinion are user friendly. I now have a brother sewing machine, embroidery machine, and serger. They make them easy to use right out of the box. And they are super easy to thread which is always a bonus.

I have to agree with the brothers being easy to use. I have never had a sewing lesson or anyone show me and have figured them all out pretty quickly! The one thing that I don't know how to do unless I read every time is to use the threader on my one I just sew with sometimes! LOL!

:goodvibes

oooh - we honeymooned there in 1993!!!!

Too funny, I also honeymooned there. It was in 1994, and was DH;s first trip to Disney. Actually, his first trip out of the country.

On our way. WITH the machine. Wouldn't be the fIrst time. Got everything done except the not really absolutely necessary easy fits (still hoping to get them done) and Little's Christmas dress. OH and I have to put the button Minnies on their tees for AK tomorrow. I'll check in w/ pictures tomorrow.

Have a good Trip Tifani

Has anyone done "in the hoop" felt play food? The prices seem so expensive!! My neices are into playing restaurant lately, and they are getting some updated play things for Christmas. I was thinking of felt food and wanted it to be quick and easy - but not $$$ !!! lol:lmao:

We are up to 27 blankets by the way!!!!

Dont forget Wendy's Big Give is newly posted. These girls LOVE their dresses!!!!:goodvibes

Here is my finished shirt for Sunday School tomorrow!!!
100_2570.jpg

Very cute shirt. I will probably try to do a couple of those fleece blankets in the new year, but will confirm later, since we have till June. I am just so swamped before Christmas that I feel like I will never get it done. Then I remember that it is all due before Christmas and I will probably have nothing at all to do after that.

Wendy, PM me your address. I know I ask you that once a month probably. I'll send you some gingerbread cookies for the girls.

150203_462684893514_46807318514_5596633_459754_n.jpg

I'll add the little bows that are supposed to be on them though.

ETA - That is the only playfood I have ever made in the hoop (or at all) although I always think I'll make more.

Those are cute.

I want to make these if I have time. My kids will love them.

P1250712 by creationsmarylou, on Flickr

Awww, sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will work better for you tomorrow.
!

I hate when things go wrong like that. Don't feel bad, I was making kitchen towels for Christmas presents too....and I have a few that are facing the wrong way...:laughing:

I know the feeling! I've done the same thing more times than I care to count (cutting a hole in a shirt). On the bright side, it can lead to creative placement of extra appliques (to cover said hole)! ;)

Thanks everyone. I am off to finish the rest of my shirts.

Thanks for the info, and I really am not in the market for making stuff to sell much these days anyway. But if someone asks for my info I will be willing to give them my etsy id. So having it already written down will be handy, but I certainly won't be going around handing out business cards!

Here are a few pictures of the ruffled bag I made.
Here it is laying on the bed:
th_67358842_photobucket_861_.jpg

And hanging on the doorknob:
th_67358842_photobucket_860_.jpg

And with me holding it to get a perspective of how big it is, although this isn't a very good picture since I had to take it of myself, and the flash conveniently wiped out my face, lol:
th_67358842_photobucket_859_.jpg

That bag is huge, but perfect for bringing all the stuff I always carry.:goodvibes

So cute...we just saw the movie Friday night and loved it.

I would be SUPER excited if we could do 66 - that would be enough for each child living there to have one on opening day which I think is January 2012 if all goes as planned. They are to house 33 boys and 33 girls.

Those measurements for them are 1 yard blankets, right???? I think we can do it if we pull together!!!!!!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I am going to sign up for 2. (One from me and one from my mom)

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share our thanks with you all again!

You are touching our hearts and by making our "wish" come true for all these children is helping us heal our hearts.

Megan and I hope to go to Haiti for the dedication of the orphanage in 2012 and to visit the Hotel Montana site where my Jim was. We will take lots of photos and will share them with you when we get back so you will be able to see the joy your wonderful blankets will bring to those children!

When I told Megan and my mom this was approved, they were amazed how kind and generous you all are!

Blessings to you and hope your holidays are filled with love and joy!

Lisa and Megan

:hug: I am so sorry to hear about your DH. This is a wonderful way to honor him.

th_100_2570.jpg

That is so cute. I remember when you posted the link for the design a few months ago. I can't believe Christmas is almost here.:santa:

This is my latest creation, a gift for my Book Club's Secret Santa. This is the DIY Dish double-layer cake pincushion. Once the prep work is done (and quilting those two strips took a while) it goes together so fast! I'm so pleased with how it came out. I'm pretty confident none of my book club ladies frequent the DIS so I think I'm safe posting it--I can't share it on FB or my blog til after I give it because they are ALL on there, and it's driving me crazy not being able to share a project after completing it! LOL

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

We got back about 12 days ago. I've been meaning to come here and post but it's been crazy. I did post all of this on another board so some of you may have seen it already. This is what I made for our trip. We did 10 days - 1 night at my nephews, 4 nights on the Disney Wonder and 4nights at WDW.

I only made 2 things for the cruise. My list was longer but I had to cut way back. As always I waited until the last minute and did most of my sewing the week before we left. I really have to stop that. I made these Steamboat Willie sets for Animators Palate. It was my first time using an embroidery machine (a friends). In the past all my appliques I've done myself. The apron on the dress is completly removable so the dress is now in her closet and something she can wear to school, etc. We actually had a beautiful family portrait done on this night. I just love it.
5204305971_dfb4a1d50f.jpg

I also made part of dd's pirate costumes. For dd I made a asymentrical peasant top (which will double as her perforance top for Violin) and a self drafted corset. She wore it with a petti type skirt she has had for a while and some fishnet tights we got after Halloween on clearance.
5213584368_89505c16cc.jpg

After we got off the ship (which we loved btw) we went to WDW. We stayed at All Star Music. The first day we relaxed, did laundry and went to dinner at the Swan (yum) and then made smores at Fort Wilderness and enjoyed Chip N Dale at the sing a long. The next day we did breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. We celebrated ds's 7th birthday and dh's 40th. DS wore a stitch shirt I purchased on Etsy and dd wore a Lilo dress I made for her. Wehn we arrived Stitch was at our table immediatly and he saw dd and grabbed her by the hand and literally drug her across the entire restaurant so Lilo could see her dress. It was hysterical and dd felt so special!
5213584646_2404b6ebfe.jpg

That night we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I made Olivia a knot top with a reversible apron (so when we got home she could still wear it to school and not feel so "babyish"). The apron attached with three buttons. I also made decoupage jeans. First time I did that. Not so sure about it. I'll try again though.
5213584926_24ae8ff27c.jpg

Ok so ds's set....well ummmm....I was literally making it at the last minute. I used a vintage coloring book page as inspiration for the applique. The treeson the jeans were just ironed on. I never had time to sew them down!
5213585232_9a94f7eda3.jpg

The next day it was back to Magic Kingdom except this time we had friends meet up with us that we hadn't seen in 8 years! I love the sets the kids wore on this day. I used vintage Disney scrapbook stickers and scanned them into the computer. Printed them out on super soft transfer paper and ironed them to white knit. Cut them out and stitched them on. I did a similar set for a MAW Big Give. DD's skirt is a 4 panel knit circle skirt I drafted myself.
5215120321_edc3d56131.jpg

5215119391_a430b9843c.jpg

5215712680_bf71d63475.jpg

5215120805_7bfd45a7b2.jpg

5212990059_75ff2f912e.jpg

The next day it was off to Hollywood STudios. Such a change of pace for us this time. Usually we go and the day is all about Playhouse Disney and Belle. This time though with them being older it was all about Stunt shows. The car show and Indiana Jones were huge hits with my kiddos! Of course the highlight of this day was the Osborne Lights and so it was only appropriate we dress for the ocassion! The whole family wore JOY shirts with the O as a Mickey Head and dd had a matching skirt.
5215128121_06d36a13bd.jpg

5215797816_c61288d5db.jpg

5215121749_e79f5c3dd8.jpg

That's our trip! It was wonderful and so needed. We really relaxed and had an amazing time. I look forward to our next wonderful family vacation! Thanks for reading this...I know it was long.

Does anyone have suggestions? Anything you love or hate? I have been reading reviews, etc. on other sites but there are SO many different machines out there! I'm so overwhelmed.

I don't recommend the CS6000i. I bought one since everyone here raved about it. And I did love it. Except that after a few months the whole bobbin contraption collapsed. Brother couldn't repair it for more then it cost. It's just a plastic unit. I ended up throwing it out. I ended up with a Janome which I love.

But I was reading in a Consumer report a month or so ago, that they recommend the Project Runway Innovis, and I don't remember the model. They said it was under $400, so that might help. They felt it did as great a job as the machines that cost thousands that did the same thing.

]I have the Brother 350 SE and LOVE it! I am a beginning sewer and it was sooo easy to use. It does embroidery 4x4 and sewing!

Wendy,
Here is Allison's shirt...I know it is late, I'm finishing the boys shirts today and then will mail them priority in the AM, can you please PM the address! Thanks!
I'm so proud of this shirt...it is 3 separate embroidery files that I stitched out and it isn't crooked! :)

Erica
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3470269&l=8ac10bd01d&id=1490253530

I have slacked again I read but I get sidetracked before I post. Does that happen to anyone else?

Yep!

Wendy, PM me your address. I know I ask you that once a month probably. I'll send you some gingerbread cookies for the girls.

150203_462684893514_46807318514_5596633_459754_n.jpg

I'll add the little bows that are supposed to be on them though.

ETA - That is the only playfood I have ever made in the hoop (or at all) although I always think I'll make more.

Jessica, those are so adorable!
We are in the car driving south to Ft Lauderdale to cruise on Allure of the Seas, inaugural voyage. I've been sewing like a mad woman, but didn't take the time to photo anything before I packed. Rebecca has 7 new sets of dressy playclothes and 3 brand new dresses for dinners. With 2 other sundresses I made last summer that weren't worn but a few times, all but one outfit is handmade. I feel like a real Disboutiquer now, even if they aren't all customs for WDW. :). The one dinner outfit that is storebought was picked out as a surprise from her biggest sister, and it's really cute...even has machine embroidery on it, so it looks handmade. LOL

I hope everyone has a great week! I'll probably have lots to catch up on when I get back. :)

OOOH! Have fun!!!!

I haven't seen you here in awhile (of course, I did miss some pages!) How are you?

Thanks you everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to look at the Brother 6000. Is the Innovis 1500D tough to figure out? Is this the "Disney" machine that comes with Disney embroidery? I just don't want to spend years learning how to figure out the new machine. The sewing machine store I looked at offers classes if you buy through them so I'm sure that would help.

Do not pay more for an embroidery machine just because it has the Disney designs on it. They are not worth it. I have the Brother 250D, which I really like. But, the preloaded designs aren't very good. You'll want to save the extra money to buy some designs from FrouFrou by Heathersue. :thumbsup2

So cute...we just saw the movie Friday night and loved it.

Heather took us all to see Tangled on Friday too! Corey, actually switched shifts at work so he could go with us (BEST 18 year old EVER!) WE all really LOVED it!!! I want to see it again! The girls are even planning questions to ask Eugene and Rapunzel if we get to see them at the parks (if we end up going next year)

This is my latest creation, a gift for my Book Club's Secret Santa. This is the DIY Dish double-layer cake pincushion. Once the prep work is done (and quilting those two strips took a while) it goes together so fast! I'm so pleased with how it came out. I'm pretty confident none of my book club ladies frequent the DIS so I think I'm safe posting it--I can't share it on FB or my blog til after I give it because they are ALL on there, and it's driving me crazy not being able to share a project after completing it! LOL

th_IMG_0809.jpg

Oh that is so adorable!!!!!

5215121749_e79f5c3dd8.jpg

That's our trip! It was wonderful and so needed. We really relaxed and had an amazing time. I look forward to our next wonderful family vacation! Thanks for reading this...I know it was long.
Thank you so much for sharing your pictures!!!! My favorite outfit is the first one you posted. Heather made Tessa the cutest dress with that fabric! :lovestruc It looks fabulous with the mickey! I'm glad you had such a fun trip, and welcome back!

Heather took us all to see Tangled on Friday too! Corey, actually switched shifts at work so he could go with us (BEST 18 year old EVER!) WE all really LOVED it!!! I want to see it again! The girls are even planning questions to ask Eugene and Rapunzel if we get to see them at the parks (if we end up going next year)

IF?:sad1:

I would be SUPER excited if we could do 66 - that would be enough for each child living there to have one on opening day which I think is January 2012 if all goes as planned. They are to house 33 boys and 33 girls.

Those measurements for them are 1 yard blankets, right???? I think we can do it if we pull together!!!!!!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

66, really...thats all? Just kidding! I am going over to the Big Give Board to sign up, but I will commit to 5 (and more if I have the time).

I've been studying photos of the Rapunzel character that appears in the parks. I've been back and forth on the color. I now have a pile of purple fabric here and am trying hard to carve out a little time to try this before we leave a week from today!

I think it's sort of a raspberry color. Not purple, not lavendar, not pink. Very hard to pin down.

I was thinking more light plum, like purplish red. Ok...you win..."raspberry" sounds like the right color!

Thanks for the coupons Kim and Nancy (you know whats funny - those are my bosses names!!!! lol):goodvibes

We are up to 10 blankets for Haiti!!!!!!! With Anita and Chaira contributing too, just not sure how many yet!! lol Also, I spoke with Lisa, and she said that we can leave the fleece the full width if it is wider than 36" - makes it even easier to do!!!!:goodvibes

Wow...this is going to be a great GIVE!

Has anyone done "in the hoop" felt play food? The prices seem so expensive!! My neices are into playing restaurant lately, and they are getting some updated play things for Christmas. I was thinking of felt food and wanted it to be quick and easy - but not $$$ !!! lol:lmao:

We are up to 27 blankets by the way!!!!

Dont forget Wendy's Big Give is newly posted. These girls LOVE their dresses!!!!:goodvibes

100_2570.jpg

Wendy....sooooo cute! I may still have to do that before Christmas. We'll see...my list keeps getting longer rather than shorter :confused3 Can you send the link again?

th_IMG_0812.jpg

Super cute! Where did you get the pattern?

We got back about 12 days ago. I've been meaning to come here and post but it's been crazy. I did post all of this on another board so some of you may have seen it already. This is what I made for our trip. We did 10 days - 1 night at my nephews, 4 nights on the Disney Wonder and 4nights at WDW.

I only made 2 things for the cruise. My list was longer but I had to cut way back. As always I waited until the last minute and did most of my sewing the week before we left. I really have to stop that. I made these Steamboat Willie sets for Animators Palate. It was my first time using an embroidery machine (a friends). In the past all my appliques I've done myself. The apron on the dress is completly removable so the dress is now in her closet and something she can wear to school, etc. We actually had a beautiful family portrait done on this night. I just love it.
5204305971_dfb4a1d50f.jpg

Thanks for reading this...I know it was long.

It looks like you had a great time! I love the first outfits for the cruise...love the colors! Everything was adorable though. And what a great idea with the vintage pictures.

Husbands - Honestly! I just did my 1st real applique. Its just a Mickey head but I sewed it on. I bring it to him to see what he says and he actually has the nerve to tell me that it is off by an 1/8th of an inch. Are you kidding me - you are going to tell me that the ears are not level by an 1/8th of an inch with your naked eye. I actually measured it after he said something and it is about 1/16th of an inch and by the time I sew the shirt together I doubt you could see it. but really you are going to comment on that?????

I'm having the hardest time finishing a simple skirt for my youngest. 1st I couldn't find the 1/4" elastic I needed and now I ran out of red thread. ARRGH!

drumroll please!!!!! We are up to 43 Blankets for the orphanage in Haiti!!!!!!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana:

Thanks so much everyone!!!!!!!!

Also, dont forget Emily's Big Give ship date is coming up QUICKLY!!!!! please ask for the address if you still need to ship!!!

And, there are still outfits/shirts needed for Wendy's Big give!!! Come on over and check it out!!!!!:wizard:

Just got back from a wonderful week at Disney. We stayed at the Grand Floridian and got a surprise upgrade to concierge level which just made it even more Grand! Weather was wonderful-a bit chilly at times, but no rain. Never met a grumpy CM. The kiddos got lots of compliments on their customs. It was more crowded than I anticipated at times, but can't complain about wait times. MVMCP was insane (Nov 30). I couldn't believe the crowds. It was shoulder to shoulder, and we only did 2 meet and greets (I wanted to do all of them!), the 2 shows, fireworks and parade, and by then it was 11:30 and things were shutting down. Well, here they are--the kiddos in their mommy-made dresses and shirts. I didn't specifically take pictures of the clothes, so bear with me if you can't see a lot of detail.
IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter