Disboutiquers Part 20 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Back from the city, over $100 in supplies, shirts, fabric, stabilizer, fabric markers, polo shirts.

Tomorrow is clean the house and then get sewing for our trip in just 14 days!:scared1:

Uggh! Hate it when I make a stupid mistake. Printed out the molly peasant for Sara Beth for her Disney outfit and started cutting and halfway through I realized I didn't print one piece...went back and as I was about to print, I saw paper scaling was ON! UGHHH!! :mad: I had to reprint all the pattern pieces and recut the top! So glad I opted to buy a little extra!

Okay...now i feel better!

My sister and her DH are celebrating their honeymoon at WDW in Aug.
I would LOVE to show her the youtube videos of the littel girls dressed like the stepsisters and the little boy's pic freaked out by Prince Charming.

Anyone have a link... these are kiddos from this thread, right?!?!?!?

Thanks so much!

thanks busymommy

I going tomorrow to get ribbon and looking online. Thanks for the websites! Bow making seems relatively easy enough but hopefully those aren't famous last words.

You can search 'farbenmix vida pattern' to find online shops with this. There are quite a few sellers on eBay and Etsy with it as well as online fabric shops. I always recommend that people check the price to ship as well as the pattern price to determine which site has the best price.

A tip for the thrifty... I was chatting with someone not long ago about a way to extend the life of appliques on kids' clothes, especially tees. I know many here love to do appliques whether by machine or hand and the tees may only get worn a time or 2 before the tee is outgrown, stain or otherwise not in good condition for much other than play. I thought I'd share this idea as a way to get more use out of all that hard work and save time/money in the process.

Cut the applique off the tee leaving an inch or so of the knit fabric attached. Add fusible web, i.e. Heat N Bond Lite, to the back to cover the whole applique and at least 1/4" of the knit. Trim the knit to leave just a narrow border around the applique. Fuse in place on a new tee (or one that's good condition but maybe has a spot that the applique can cover) and stitch in place. I sometimes use a satin stitch but usually just do a straight stitch that follows the applique edge as closely as possible. That way if I want to move the applique again later, I can more easily just take out that stitching, peel the fusible and refuse to the next tee - sometimes I don't even need to add more fusible. The relocated appliques will be a bit stiffer than they were originally but still not bad.

This can also be done with applique on jeans or other garments. I certainly wouldn't recommend cutting up something that is in good condition to be passed along to another child but if there are holes, stains, wear, etc. that makes it a good candidate for recycling, why not? You might even be able to find good bargains on :wizard: of damaged customs that have usable appliques.

BTW - Obviously the base garment (tee or jeans) is now not wearable as is but the truly thrifty could find ways to "upcycle" the knit into a new garment, maybe even the one that the applique will be used on. :goodvibes

Thank you for the tips! By the way I drool over your work! Your awesome!

thanks busymommy

I going tomorrow to get ribbon and looking online. Thanks for the websites! Bow making seems relatively easy enough but hopefully those aren't famous last words.

Try a few out and you will be surprised how easy they are! I made my first just back this past Sept and I am still amazed at how well they came out! Good luck!

Okay...someone fill me in on what Rock n Rye and Phaygo are? Drinks? I have never heard of either (born and bred Long Island, NY). I am intrigued:surfweb:

Faygo is a Michigan based soft drink company. Rock & Rye is one of the flavors: the closest way you can describe it to someone who has never had any is a combo of cream soda and cherry pop.

I saw this the other day and was so tempted! The also had San Fran, Portland and LA. Since we are going to San Fran and LA next week it took all my self control not to buy it! I so thought Sara Beth need a dress for the occasion....but I do not have the time!

I saw this and was very tempted too! I think they had a Paris one too. I was thinking I could make a t-shirt twirl dress for Epcot!!;) But I need to go back and get some. :guilty:

OK, finally got the area reasonably tidy, so here are the pics of my "new" sewing space- formerly known as the living room. To be fair, we never actually used it except to practice piano and for one of the Christmas trees in December (don't even want to think about what we'll do re: that). DH really emotionally needed "his" space back, so they moved me out while I was in Chicago taking care of my dad.

On the plus side, it's the biggest space I've ever had, and laid out perfectly. On the negative, it always has to be reasonably clean, and if we entertain, it probably doesn't look great.- but our friends all know I sew and we have a full house, so I don't think the people who matter would mind. And I guess those who would mind don't matter LOL.
the view from the front door if you turn and look
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq188/ireland_nicole/018.jpg
the view from the rest of the house walking toward the front door:
006-2.jpg

another view of the entire "elevation" that used to be the "piano wall"
005-5.jpg

and finally a view of what's next to the door:
008-5.jpg

you can kind of see the short wall that seperates the open room from the entry hall; the plant is the same one Caitie was standing next to in the picture earlier today.

ETA: the pile of "stuff" next to the piano is the overflow of Disney outfits; I already have two stacked laundry bins full of finished t-shirts next to them in the corner lol- I'll post whole coordinated days as I finish Caitie's stuff (I saved the best for last). On top of the bookcases my SDad is making me ribbon holders so I'll have somewhere for all of it.

I LOVE how you have your fabric in the bookcase. It looks lovely!

I know I've already posted Caitie's AK dress, but I finished it, and my model was willing, and, well, it looks cuter on... so I couldn't resist taking pics, and Caitie's first question was, mom, when are you posting to the other DisGirls can see? Well, I can't say no to the cutest 10 y/o in my house, so...
002-13.jpg

and back:
004-6.jpg

you can almost see where my sewing room got moved to- again. I'll post pics as soon as I clean it;)

Just Beautiful!!! I know an almost 8 year old who would love it and could pass it down to the 7 year old!!!:laughing:

Uggh! Hate it when I make a stupid mistake. Printed out the molly peasant for Sara Beth for her Disney outfit and started cutting and halfway through I realized I didn't print one piece...went back and as I was about to print, I saw paper scaling was ON! UGHHH!! :mad: I had to reprint all the pattern pieces and recut the top! So glad I opted to buy a little extra!

Okay...now i feel better!

Just bought my 1st CarlaC's today. :banana:
Where is this paper scaling button so I can make sure it it turned off?:confused3

WOO HOO WENDY - 7 MORE DAYS!! Are you getting sooooo excited?

Anita - I am soooooo excited!! And actually, its 7 days till we are with Daniel's family at Disney, Billy and I leave on Thursday night to drive down -so thats....4 more sleeps!!!!!! The MAW people came to Daniel's house today and dropped off their last bit of info and wished them a great trip, so they are all besides themselves too!! We dropped off the few last Big Give things this morning at their house, and they gave us some boxes to bring for them, diapers, pediasure, and tons of Glow Sticks!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I just hope those kids share them with me!!!! Do you know how much Aunt Wendy loves things that glow and light up????? I think Samantha wore her minnie mouse dress to church today!!!:rotfl2: she really has no idea what is coming! I just hope she has a good reaction to the characters.

Does anyone know of on SW airlines if Daniel's wheelchair and walker count as luggage????

th_002-13.jpg

and back:
th_004-6.jpg
Wow! It looks awesome. I was impressed before it was a dress and now... :thumbsup2 Great Job!
And your sewing space looks great!

Just bought my 1st CarlaC's today. :banana:
Where is this paper scaling button so I can make sure it it turned off?:confused3
For me its in the print menu somewhere. Good luck. Your love Carla's stuff :thumbsup2

So it would seem I went a bit overboard with the Coffee Cozies this weekend. They are just to darn quick and easy to do ;) I couldn't stop myself. And I was able to make good use of a bunch of scraps.

Here comes to many cozies....
SDC10866.JPG
SDC10868.JPG
SDC10869.JPG

I made the crayon ones with my DD3 preschool teachers in mind... but then I started thinking maybe they would like something a bit more grown up looking? So now I am stumped as to which to give them. I can make copies of most of them, so.... just don't know. I am keeping the one with pink paisley on teal (middle pic, the one on the top) and the kids are claiming the lightning mcqueen and tinkerbell ones :) Maybe the black with mini dots... one has hot pink fleece inside the other lime green....? any thoughts?
Tomorrow I will sew something larger ;) the kids are tired of watching me make coffee cozies :rotfl:

Anita - I am soooooo excited!! And actually, its 7 days till we are with Daniel's family at Disney, Billy and I leave on Thursday night to drive down -so thats....4 more sleeps!!!!!! The MAW people came to Daniel's house today and dropped off their last bit of info and wished them a great trip, so they are all besides themselves too!! We dropped off the few last Big Give things this morning at their house, and they gave us some boxes to bring for them, diapers, pediasure, and tons of Glow Sticks!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I just hope those kids share them with me!!!! Do you know how much Aunt Wendy loves things that glow and light up????? I think Samantha wore her minnie mouse dress to church today!!!:rotfl2: she really has no idea what is coming! I just hope she has a good reaction to the characters.

Does anyone know of on SW airlines if Daniel's wheelchair and walker count as luggage????

I was just reading their baggage policies - it says that any assitive devices can coem on board the airplane with no charge - I think they mean in the cabin with the passenger not checked. Not sure where they want to have the wheelchair & walker though. I think I would gatecheck the wheelchair and keep the walker at the seat with him. I don't think they charge for any of that.

Life is getting back into some sort of routine for us again and I'm ready to get back to sewing. I knew just where to come on these nights I can't sleep to get motivation :thumbsup2

I've done a few projects - Dr Seuss Hats, Pillows, PJ Easy Pants. I'm ready to try something new.

:disrocks:

I was just reading their baggage policies - it says that any assitive devices can coem on board the airplane with no charge - I think they mean in the cabin with the passenger not checked. Not sure where they want to have the wheelchair & walker though. I think I would gatecheck the wheelchair and keep the walker at the seat with him. I don't think they charge for any of that.

They might treat his walker and wheelchair as a stroller and you leave it at the door of the plane at the end of the big tunnel. they then take the wheelchair and store it under the plane but when you arrive at MCO it will be waiting for him Just outside the door of the plane. I hope he has a wonderfully Magical trip.

Wendy;
If he needs his walker to ambulate at all, I would think they would gate check his w/c at the end of the jetway, and have him use his walker (if he's able) to ambulate to his seat; then simply fold it and put it in the overhead bin. Don't forget to do early check in, and take the opportunity to be seated first; you want to be in the front of the plane with him, and preferably have him seated away from the aisle before everyone stampedes on. Window seat is probably best to avoid unnecessary jostling. Does the MD want him to wear a mask on the flight?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter