Disboutiquers Part 20 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

our FABRICOLOGIST RESOURCE CENTER :rotfl::rotfl: Does that mean I can build my own building to store my resource center? I about need it! I've been trying to "de-clutter" my CENTER so that it will actually fit in my room. Still have some work to do on that, though!
:lmao:
Also- I thought this was cool, for those who visit me on Facebook you may have seen this.
Sew Beautiful Magazine has a new blog and featured a family heirloom

http://sewbeautifulmag.blogspot.com/2010/04/true-family-heirloom.html
This is sooo cool!! I'm jealous! In my family my grandma threw everything away.. hand sewn heirloom included! :sad2:
For the wonderland Tea Party, I'm using the ALice feliz that I used for the movie premiere (figured for all that work I'd like her to wear it at least twice LOL.) In case you missed it last month, here's a repost:
th_009-7.jpg

back:
Beautiful! I've commented on this before but no one every answers me. I see you guys say sometimes "well they'll only wear it once".. Do you guys really only let them wear it to the occasion you make it for? I must be nuts. Hannah wears dresses everyday... the fancy ones too. Am I just weird? :confused3

Beautiful!!! Glad it worked out for you. They look darling in their dresses.

For those who do any heirloom style sewing, or if you are just a fan of blue water soluble markers.What brand do you like?

I know I dont want Dritz- but there are a few choices out there-
http://store.marthapullen.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2413&category_id=de14816d215786cb801e587eb85e90d8&
That is my favorite blue pen. It is great!! It makes the smallest line out of all of the pens and that is important in heirloom sewing. In the classes I have taken they specifically tell you to use that pen or they provide that pen. If you use it be sure to use cold water to wash it out. If you use hot it may instantly turn grey colored and will not come out. Do not use Oxyclean when trying to get it out either because that makes the line darker. I've done this once on accident. I really should have known better because this is widely talked about in the heirloom groups I go to. That being said.. it is a pretty small line, but for the hand embroidery I was just doing that I am using on 2 threads of the fabric it was too thick of a line. I had to use a really sharp pencil to get a TINY line. This is the first time that the line has been too thick. I think I am going to get one of those Sew Line mechanical pencils for doing shadow embroidery. I had to keep sharpening the pen because it dulled fast on the linen. Wendy's shop just got a new mechanical pen that is supposed to be oh so wonderful.. why I don't know.. lol. I asked why it costs 30 dollars and the lady told me she hadn't tried it but people were asking for it. not sure what it is called.

/popping in

DRAGON FABRIC!!!

/popping out
What did you get???
Shame on you for not telling us promptly!! "How to Train Your Dragon" fabric??

I'm reposting this in case my question was lost among all of the clothes. :) I posted this yesterday.

I just got back from the sewing shop. They demonstrated the Brother Innov-is 4200D because they just sold the last 2800D. It was WAY cool! I couldn't believe it would actually thread itself! I didn't hear any noise. I was truly amazed. The price for the 2800D was $3,000. I knew they were expensive, but I was a little shocked. The 4200D is out of the picture because it is $1,500 more than the 2800D.

Is it worth it to spend this kind of money?

I would be using the machine for our business, our daughter's dance class outfits, Disney, basically personal use. I guess I could venture off and try to make some money at some point, but not sure if there is a market for this type of stuff.

Thoughts?

This is a hard one! I spent $4000 9 years ago on my machine and I love it to death! I would have probably never actually bought it but DH said to! So what was I to do! :lmao: Okay, so I probably would have caved just not at that moment in time. I bought it knowing that it was going to be for personal use only so I knew I was spending alot on it for just me.

Fast forward to now, I prefer to applique by hand so don't really use it much for that at all. In fact I get angry at it if I have to babysit it BUT I still love it and it sews like a dream!!! So, if you can afford it, go for it! I don't think you need the top of the line to have alot of fun and enjoy it (but the top of the line is always nice). Mine is a brother too!

Hello All,
I have not been on the boards for a long time....had a baby, been busy sewing for our recent trip (not to mention I own a business and am the mother of a competitive dancer....no sleep for me!). Anyways, I wanted to share the sustoms I made for my trip. I will try to post one or two outfits a day for the next couple days. (I made 11 sets of 5!!!!:eek:)
Enjoy!
P.S. The older blonde girl and the baby are mine....the other three are my nieces and nephew.

102_4966.jpg

102_5003.jpg

102_4994-1-1.jpg

Absolutely so stinkin' adorable!!! Wow! I just love them!

Dresses from Animal Kingsom Day. NOT the best pics of the kids, but I was trying to show the outfits.

102_5042.jpg

102_5045.jpg

102_5085.jpg

Same here! Just :love: them.

First off, love, love, love the Easter stuff- y'all have outdone yourselves.

Second; love the new Carla C pattern- I've now actually made my first top for me- I made tunics for my mom and friends, but not for me yet- Let me first say, I hate pictures of myself, I don't like the way I look, and I'm definitely not photogenic- but the shirt looks better on, and I wanted to show the "larger" ladies how the shirt looks in a 3x. So, without further ado-
001-9.jpg

Please, please thumbnail it if you happen to repost it:rotfl2:

Oh my gosh! This is so cute on you!! You shouldn't hate pictures of yourself, you look so cute and I love having a face to go with a name!! Although if you asked me right now I would say I hate pictures of myself too.

:lmao:

Beautiful! I've commented on this before but no one every answers me. I see you guys say sometimes "well they'll only wear it once".. Do you guys really only let them wear it to the occasion you make it for? I must be nuts. Hannah wears dresses everyday... the fancy ones too. Am I just weird? :confused3

I do answer when I see stuff, I promise. This working full time thing is really for the birds- I miss a lot LOL. Unfortunately, yes, there are several dresses I've made Caitie (mostly Disney themed ones) that she has only worn once or twice outside of the house. In her case it's because she's older, and what would be appropriate at the premiere of the movie or at WDW wouldn't be considered appropriate at her age in other environments. I don't let her wear anything Disney themed to school, because she's 10 and in 4th grade and the kids tease her mercilessly already. Thankfully, most of it goes over her head because of the autism, but I try not to do anything to make it worse. She does wear them for dress up around the house and some of our favorites I hang on her "fashion wall" in her room.

Hi!
Its been months since I have been on the boards - not counting the last two weeks lurking. And even longer since I have been able to sew.
Long story - short.... my sewing area went from the dining room table to the guest room. Which is amazing to have my own space to sew... and not have to put everything away for each meal :) This process just tooo way longer than we hoped. But it is done and I yesterday I cut our a round neck top and a round neck dress for our Aug WDW trip. Today I got a tote bag almost all cut out. Now to actually sew things together... for some reason this is intimidating me. Not sure why. Just like riding a bike right :)

I love all the great creations you guys are posting. And new patterns to... very cool! I hope to have pics to post soon. You guys are inspiring!

We should get together...I hate to cut and love to sew!

For those who do any heirloom style sewing, or if you are just a fan of blue water soluble markers.What brand do you like?

I know I dont want Dritz- but there are a few choices out there-

I use the marvy markers...but I don't do heirloom style sewing...but I do use them in marking my patterns and in my quilting.

I normally can do an A line in less than an hour. Including cutting out the fabric. A Simply Sweet or Striipwork Jumper will take me 2 hours because of the ruffles. (I hate ruffles but love the look!)

Last year I managed to make at least 2 dresses a day for our trip and then made matching dolly dresses for the girls in just a few minutes. I like quick projects, since I sometimes only get a few minutes at a time to work.

I have been working on a modified Stripwork Jumper to showcase some of Heather Sue's designs. I have now spent 2 days on it and almost have all the applique done! (actually I guess I'm a little over half way done with the applique!) I cannot believe how long this is taking me!

(ok...just so you know, I am NOT complaining...just whining!) I will never again think that anyone spending excess of $200 for a custom dress is being extravagant! And to think...Lisa does it by hand...u n b e l i e v a b l e !!!!!!

Now, I guess I better get back to work on this dress. I have 2 to make!

Nini

aka as the exclamation point abuser!!!!

I had all of the adorable princess dresses quoted and the Easter dresses but I don't know where they went.....Anyway, beautiful work ladies! Love them! the Little Mermaid dress was my favorite, I think it came out great! Great "fish" interpretation! :thumbsup2 The little Tinkerbell was just too cute too!
The 2 matching Easter dresses were just darling and so are your little girls!

I loved the Alice dress last time and I love it this time too! Beautiful!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. :goodvibes

I finally added the bodice to the Zoe skirt I made for the illustrations. I really had wanted to get it done to include in the pattern but that didn't happen. However, I wanted to share it here for those who've wondered about how it would work. I made my own bodice pattern but I think this would work with just about any bodice that had a gathered skirt attached. I really like how this came out!

zoe_dress1.jpg

Lisa, I LOVE it with the Bodice!!!! I so want it now! I think the top really pulls the whole thing together and your sample is just Gorgeous!!!!!! It is just too pretty!

For the wonderland Tea Party, I'm using the ALice feliz that I used for the movie premiere (figured for all that work I'd like her to wear it at least twice LOL.) In case you missed it last month, here's a repost:
009-7.jpg

back:
008-4.jpg

Where can I find that fabric? that is perfect!!!

Nope, I don't think you're weird at all. With my kids, if something is special for an occasion they have to wait until that event to wear it for the first time...but after that, it's fair game! This can be interesting especially with my little Hannah Diva! Love the pettis to the baseball game, etc...but that's why I have them! :)
The only exception to this might be if it were some kind of "heirloom" type item I needed to get through to the next generation. My kids aren't very kind on clothes, and I'm honestly not one of those moms who never let them get dirty so I always have to assume the first wear may be the last! :rotfl:
What did you get???
Shame on you for not telling us promptly!! "How to Train Your Dragon" fabric??

I didn't get anything! I was drooling over the dragon fabric on the cool easy fits a few pages back. Yes, I think I'm the queen of the random posting! ;)

I VOTED TODAY!

I love these variations, and hope you make them available really soon as I know it would be perfect for our Disney trip:worship: I do like the first one best, and I love the sweetheart neckline, but for me the top of the front bodice on the sweetheart looks a little big compared to the width of the straps. I love it though.

Yeah, I'm not in love with this version. I'll probably end up removing the bodice entirely. If I do, I think I'll add applique to the front to see how that works. There's not a lot of space but it might be a good place to try out some HeatherSue designs. :goodvibes

I love it. I'm glad you still have the band in the front. I really like that part. Love the neckline too.

Thanks, I like that at the bottom of the bodice, too. I think it makes a nicer transition.

Um, no I think you should totally offer the pattern for people like me that would have NO CLUE how to make my own bodice. The uber-talented can figure it out for themselves and just buy the skirt pattern, it's nice to have the choice I think. If you're feeling guilty, maybe offer two bodice options?? But really, I think it would be great to have the dress pattern available.

I'll probably add a couple bodice options as well as some options for the straps and possibly even a new idea that came to mind for the back.

th_009-7.jpg

That is so cute!

So here are the infamous Easter dresses. Thanks to JoEllen who sent me two yards of fabric so I could finish them.

24370_1437163892059_1321841635_1197741_7332143_n.jpg

Those came out really cute! Makes me really miss when Zoe would still wear dresses.

No, you're not weird. I actually think that I may have ended Zoe's interest in customs earlier than it would otherwise have been because I really limited when she could wear them. She wasn't used to the attention she'd get when wearing them and it made her uncomfortable. I just worried about things getting stained or otherwise messed up and realize now that it was silly since most sewing moms only have a short time when their kids will wear what mom made.

I'll join that club! I don't know why I almost dread cutting things out.

I normally can do an A line in less than an hour. Including cutting out the fabric. A Simply Sweet or Stripwork Jumper will take me 2 hours because of the ruffles. (I hate ruffles but love the look!)

Again I'm the same. They are worth the effort to do because of the finished look but it's always a relief to make some things that have no ruffling involved especially since my ruffler foot doesn't seem to work on my back-up sewing machine. :headache:

Lisa, I LOVE it with the Bodice!!!! I so want it now! I think the top really pulls the whole thing together and your sample is just Gorgeous!!!!!! It is just too pretty!

Funny thing is the skirt section was done in February and I lost interest in finishing it because I didn't like the way it looked. I even had the bodice cut out and yet it sat until this weekend when I decided to see how it looked as a dress. I just have too many projects that sit around for months (years!) because they aren't coming out as I'd envisioned.

009-7.jpg

back:
008-4.jpg

Beautiful! Love the fabric and how you used it!!

Hannah took a nice, super long nap yesterday and here's what I did...
It made me realize how much I despise working with minkee. But its cute and she likes it (has satin, flannel, cotton and minkee in it)
25742_375267078457_564578457_3811287_1081304_n.jpg

close up of main fabric
25742_375267093457_564578457_3811288_797455_n.jpg

Hannah checking it out...
25742_375267098457_564578457_3811289_1458659_n.jpg

It made me realize how much I despise working with minkee. But its cute and she likes it (has satin, flannel, cotton and minkee in it)

close up of main fabric

This is beautiful... what gorgeous fabrics! What an adorable baby too! She looks so happy!

close up of main fabric

It is some slippery stuff! The quilt is adorable and you did such a good job, I love the look.

Ever Cute :love::love:

I love the pants and all the cute baby stuff!! I need a baby shower I can go to so I can make some cute things like this!

Thanks. I was thinking that for a while, but right now I have lots of showers to sew for, so be careful what you wish for.

/popping in

DRAGON FABRIC!!!
:love::banana::banana::banana::love:

/popping out

that's why I bought all they had.

:lmao: Love the way you pop in and out.

Thanks Heather...that was way too easy.

So here are the infamous Easter dresses. Thanks to JoEllen who sent me two yards of fabric so I could finish them.

Everything is adorable.

009-7.jpg

back:
008-4.jpg

Still love this. I have the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book, so now I have the Feliz pattern, and I bought some fabric to make a Feliz, now just to find the time and the motivation.

I am like 90% sure my Fabricland carries the animal print. And because it is from Fabricland it is probably a ridiculous price like $10 or $15

Yeah, some things are priced crazy, which is why I hardly ever buy stuff at full price, just wait for a members sale.

19 Days and I am still working on quilts not customs! I need to get a few T shirts embroidered now that I have the approval of all involved then I want to recut and alter some our out already made clothing. DH finally gave the nod to amp up the colours and fabrics.:banana:

DD will be flying up for a visit and wears a full upper torso brace. I have to remake all her dresses into shirt with skirts.

But first, I need to get the border on my new quilt and finish it. Next week go to the city and get the boarder for the previously posted quilt with the vine. I didn't like the last border so I cut it off!

th_009-7.jpg
th_008-4.jpg
Nicole, this is beyond wonderful. I saw the fabric and hoped someone would make something. You have mad skilz and this is beautiful!
24370_1437164292069_1321841635_1197751_8040530_n.jpg

And some big beautiful bows.
24370_1437164012062_1321841635_1197744_650233_n.jpg

And some shirts for the Easter egg hunt.
th_24370_1437163332045_1321841635_1197727_5183981_n.jpg

th_24370_1437163452048_1321841635_1197730_4067111_n.jpg
Perfect spring colours and wonderful Easter dresses! I love the design and the huge bows. Oh to have young girls, you are all so lucky. The embroidery is adorable and very sweet, it stitched out so very well. Good work.

I'll join too. I could make 10 times the things in a week if someone would just cut it out for me!

Oh, precious. And I applaud you for using minky and satin on the same project...thats quite a chore to keep them from sliding all over the place.

2 things....
1) For any of you that have the Brother PE-750D....where is the stinkin' USB port located? I am thinking they made this machine with and without. I got the "without" unless it is really hidden.

I hope you were able to find this already but just in case I took a picture of where mine is so maybe it will help you. As I took this picture though I realized that I have a 780-D instead of the 750-D like I thought so it might be different. Shouldn't be hard to miss in the photo since I have a bright pink USB stick so I don't confuse it with dh's...lol.
DSC01558.jpg

Ok, so I got the book with the Feliz pattern in it and excited flipped through it to the pattern and I was totally shocked that it has no ruffles? Did you guys just start a trend...lol? I don't think I have seen one on this board with out butt ruffles.

I do have an brain storming question though....I want to make a princess dress for dd with the Minnie princesses around the hem of the skirt...but I can't think for the life of me for what embroidery to put on the bodice to tie it all together. I was thinking maybe just a plain princess crown but it seems so un-disney. I also thought of writing "Minnie" but her block letters fit so much better with her polka dot traditional dress. I have been stressing out about this for over a month now and am at a total loss. :confused3

Ok, so I got the book with the Feliz pattern in it and excited flipped through it to the pattern and I was totally shocked that it has no ruffles? Did you guys just start a trend...lol? I don't think I have seen one on this board with out butt ruffles.

I do have an brain storming question though....I want to make a princess dress for dd with the Minnie princesses around the hem of the skirt...but I can't think for the life of me for what embroidery to put on the bodice to tie it all together. I was thinking maybe just a plain princess crown but it seems so un-disney. I also thought of writing "Minnie" but her block letters fit so much better with her polka dot traditional dress. I have been stressing out about this for over a month now and am at a total loss. :confused3

Here's what I might do.....I would email Claire with stitchontime and ask her to digitize something for you...in my mind I see Minne standing in her little eyelet pantaloons and a little camisole and holding a dress in each hand....

just a thought

Do any of you know of a foot that would help keep the minkee in position? I had 2 problems with it
1. It stretched sooo easily that my pieces changed shape just in trying to pin it.
2. It kept creeping out from under the foot as I was sewing.
This is why my corners do not match up.

On a side note- just cause I know I can talk "mom stuff" here....Hannah moved to her crib after we came home from Florida- so it's been about 2 weeks now and she is sleeping thru most nights. AND yesterday she took a REAL nap (thats how I managed that little quilt in just 3 hours)
But what I hate is that I put her down, I let her cry for for about 10 minutes (not hard crying but, whining, then crying, then quiet, than whining, but as the minutes ticked by- she got worse) so I went it, got her, came out, rocked her- within 2 minutes she was truly out. I put her back down- and that was it.

Today i brought her in (still awake this time, but I knew she needed to nap) put her down, left, she cried steady for 5 min, I went in, got her, rocked her- she was out in a few minutes- put her back down, Shes sleeping now, dont know if it will be like yesterday or shorter, we shall see.

I really hate that she seems to have to go thru this crying thing first.

If I try to just rock her, sometimes that works, but, like today, she just wasnt settling down.....ETA-nevermind, shes awake and crying. sigh...

Her eye appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow. DH is taking the day off to make the hour+ drive with me and Megan will be in Preschool.
Her eyes are still the same, so I suspect he will say surgery is the course we have to go on. Which, pardon my french, sucks.

Gorgeous here- 85!!!!!!

I hate to think of when it goes back to typical Spring temps of 65.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter