Disboutiquers Part 20 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I had a White given to me by my MIL & it took me a few years b/c it was so hard to figure the threading & tension. Do you have a manual for it? That's going to be the only way to get it all figured out easily. If you don't have one, maybe you can google it & find one online or call the company to get a copy of it. I really had trouble getting the tension right on mine, so you may need to play with that.

Tried the manual- I still couldn't get it to thread. :confused3 The pictures were not that great and didn't show how to put the thread down in the little hole thing in the bottom... dunno if that makes sense or not. It just said, put the thread down and it will thread itself pretty much.... I didn't get it...
I think I found a friend to help me though, just need to work out a time to meet up with her I hope- but she is usually busy and I didn't wanna bust into her home schooling time! Thanks for the advice and I will try again! :goodvibes

Where in GA are you? I seem to be having basic 'sewing' classes this week in my studio....my DIL is trying to make some dresses to sell...

If I were you my first stop would be the internet to see if there is a manual there for your machine. (I always get the manual from the internet with any new machine I am getting, and devour it before the machine gets here...) I know some manuals are better than others...but that should give you a place to start.

Then, I would take a deep breath, lock the kids away somewhere (LOL) grab a cup of coffee and sit in front of the machine with the manual. Read it paragraph by paragraph and not go on to the next paragraph until I understood what the writer was saying. If there are pictures to accompany it, make sure my results match the picture...if not, redo it!

I know that sounds simple...but believe me...every time I have to rethread my serger, I have to re read the manual. It usually takes me about an hour to get it threaded right and another hour to get the tension right! I go at it with the understanding it is going to take me that long and try not to stress....

My DIL had problems winding a bobbin...she had tried so many times she was in tears. She was so upset, because she just ended up with a tangled mess whenever she tried. Finally my DS took a look at it and did it the first time. Once she saw what she was doing wrong she was able to laugh at her problem, cause it was so simple.

It is a learning experience of trial and error... but you will get it...

PM me if I can help...

====================

Yes, I know...NEVER a simple short answer from me!!!!

I will try it again and again until I get this right!! I live in Gwinnett county- I was going to try the store I bought it at, but they closed. :confused3 I asked at my JoAnns and they said they don't do intro to sewing classes anymore- but the store next door did. I will try them when I can go in without the kids. I know it will take time, but I sooo wanna sew now! Impatient, yes.... crafty, yes.... good mix- I dunno... :lmao: I am willing to do what it takes to get this right- even if it means driving an hour or so out of my way to do it!

I hope it isn't this machine.

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/sew-ea...52|ct0053&prev=hp!sf!cat&ccm=ct|ct0052|ct0053

I bought one of these for DD and I can't thread it. It was so irritating I threw it away. I even sent an email to White asking about how to thread it. They offered no help or support. If you have your receipt return it!

It is not that machine! Its a basic one that is white in color. I bought it years ago! Thanks though!

Oh my goodness...that is EXACTLY the one we were thinking about getting for my GD2...she is wanting a sewing machine sooo bad. I thought it would be better than one of those kiddie toy ones...glad you warned me!

(and yes, I am not one to recommend buying a toy machine..I'd much rather buy a cheap 'real' machine for their first machine. Last longer and teaches them more, but she is only two years old. My DD9's first machine was a regular sized Singer...my first was an o-l-d singer in a round wooden case! And, I still have it!!!!)

Nini

I see that your GD is 2, but instead of buying a machine like that I'd get her a real one. My DD has been sewing on my lap since she was old enough to sit there. When she was 5 I bought her a sewing machine off of craigslist. It took a few months of looking, but I finally got her a full-size, great sewing machine for only $50 that was about $700 new. For a year she sewed only with me there, and now she sews what she wants to when she wants to and calls for help.

At 2, DD's job was to remove pins and put them in the pincushion, to sort the scrap bin, and, occasionally, to pull all the fabric out and fling it into a pile. She also got to sit on my lap and help guide the fabric through the machine. Oh, wait, I forgot her most important sewing contribution - to mess with that fun little tension dial when I wasn't looking! It spins up, it spins down. And mom never checks it until things are not sewing right!

Deb

For a first sewing machine for a child I highly recommend the Janome sew mini. We have the hello kitty model from Target.com I believe. I have used it when my machine was in the shop.

I am thinking about a new machine for me. I love the Disney alphabets and designes with the brother but have heard mixed reviews. My main wish is to have a machine that will not frustrate me--bobbin issues thread breaks etc.. I have always wanted a Viking and would invest but am torn. Any recs? and how much should I look at spending. I have had my current machine for 12 years bought it used it is a singer quantum cxl--we have had a good relationship but I am thinking I would like to move on in the next year.

Oh my goodness...that is EXACTLY the one we were thinking about getting for my GD2...she is wanting a sewing machine sooo bad. I thought it would be better than one of those kiddie toy ones...glad you warned me!

(and yes, I am not one to recommend buying a toy machine..I'd much rather buy a cheap 'real' machine for their first machine. Last longer and teaches them more, but she is only two years old. My DD9's first machine was a regular sized Singer...my first was an o-l-d singer in a round wooden case! And, I still have it!!!!)

Nini

I got Kirsta a Hello Kitty by Janome a few years ago. She doesn't have the patience to do much sewing right now. But I've used it a few times. the only thing to drive me nuts, no light.
Anyway, Janome has a mini machine that would be nice, without paying extra for the Hello Kitty. Stay away from Sears, I think they still use the chain stitch method. I had one as a kid, and it used to drive me crazy.

For a first sewing machine for a child I highly recommend the Janome sew mini. We have the hello kitty model from Target.com I believe. I have used it when my machine was in the shop.

I am thinking about a new machine for me. I love the Disney alphabets and designes with the brother but have heard mixed reviews. My main wish is to have a machine that will not frustrate me--bobbin issues thread breaks etc.. I have always wanted a Viking and would invest but am torn. Any recs? and how much should I look at spending. I have had my current machine for 12 years bought it used it is a singer quantum cxl--we have had a good relationship but I am thinking I would like to move on in the next year.

I must say, great minds think alike.

I grew up with Singer. And when my mother needed to replace her some years back, she was dead set on a Singer. Yet when she was out looking, she found herself drawn to a Janome. I used it, liked it and when my machine Singer broke went with the brother everyone recommended, the CS6000i, but it broke within a few months. But I loved the machine. I think if I did it again, it would be a more sturdy machine then the walmart make. I have a Brother embroidery, and just love it. I did end up with a Janome sewing machine, and love it.

:cloud9: I can't multi quote at the moment for some reason, but all of your kind words have literally made my day! :cloud9:

Teresajoy...If you think that they are readable enough then go for it! I just kind of made it up as I went along so I hope people can understand it! You can use the photo too if you want, because the directions make a little more sense if you can compare it to the picture. I will try to remember to leave it in my photobucket account and not delete it! You might also include a link to THIS post by froggy33. It was my starting off point, so I want to make sure she gets plenty of credit too! :goodvibes

Great!!! Thank you!!!

And, like my sister said, we were talking about you at Pizza night last night!!! We LOOOVE your Tiana! (and all the other ones!)

Which brings me to my BIG NEWS!!
I bid on a Brother PE-750D machine yesterday on that site and WON the bid for a very reasonable amount I think. I am so excited. I can't wait to get it

Oh what fun you will have!!!
well friends and prayer buddies :-)

I just talked to my dad -- he took Anne (mom) to the doctor today; they offered to drain the fluid from the pleural cavity again, and she refused treatment.
Hospice has now been called and will take over at their home tomorrow or the next day.

In the meantime, she is causing grief for all of us. She's accusing Dad's kids of not wanting her kids to visit, saying we all have never liked her kids, etc. It's been 40 years. If we didn't like them do you think we would still communicate with them? We've been BEGGING them to visit with her.
Anyway, please continue your prayers when you think of it. Dad still wants her to remain at home...he will need strength and comfort that only God can provide.

Darla

Darla, I'm so sorry. This has to be so hard on all of you.

Can someone help me out?

DD 'accidentally' snipped one of her favorite t-shirts. Any idea on if this is fixable? It's a loose tunic-type shirt with crochet trim at the neck, so it's not like I can stick an applique on it.

Of course, she wants to wear it to school tomorrow for twin day...

Thanks!!!

Deb

I've hand sewn t-shirts before to fix a hole. It worked well. I guess it depends on where the hole is and how big it is.
Hello everyone
I have just joined the world of facebook and I don't have very many friends. I would love if some of you would become my friends. I would love to get a preview of all the wonderful creations ya'll have done before they go on here. I did it under my business name Long Mountain Embroidery. But you ladies know me as lynnanddbyz. Thank you so much I look forward to seeing you on there.
I just sent you a friend request.

Can I vent for a second? I mentioned yesterday that I am making dresses for a friend who allowed me to borrow her disney embroidery machine ( the cheapest one and she does not know how to sew). Well, I have made four dresses for her so far for her vacation coming up. I gave her the lastest one this morning. She barely thanked me and commented that she like a different hem. I stayed up till 12:30am finishing it and that is it?! Two others I gave to her daughter for her birthday. I got the thank you today and the note just said thank you. In fact, she told me the other day that her daughters favorite gift was a note card set from her party. Seriously! I have spent MAJOR time one this and they do not seem to appreciate it. Oh, and I overheard her going on and on about how I can make the dresses because I am borrowing her machine. UGH! Am I being crazy here? I so don't want to make the other three dresses I have planned!

Thanks for letting me get it out!

Wow, that's just nuts!!! You know, it doesn't even matter if the machine is the cheapest embroidery machine (I have that machine and like it for the most part). She could have lent you the most expensive machine out there, and it STILL would be no excuse for the way she is acting! I'm so sorry she is acting like this with you. I don't think that people who don't sew have a CLUE how much time it takes to make somthing. And, that's not even mentioning the heart we put into things! :hug:

Oh my gosh! That's so weird!! The same exact thing happened with MY cousin's little boy this week! .
YOU ARE SUCH A DOOFUS!

I'm having sewing block! I want to make something for Ella to wear to kindergarten screening, but I just can't come up with anything. And the non-disney fabric in my stash just isn't inspiring me at the moment. I was thinking of ruffle-hem easy fits, a peasant top and a simply sweet, but now just need to find some fabric. I plan to go out to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and peruse, hoping for inspiration. . .

Anyone have a super brilliant and adorably cute idea? Or photos to share to inspire me? Oh, yeah - kindergarten screening is Tuesday, so it has to be something I can whip up in a day or so. I know if anyone can inspire me, it's all of you!

I wonder how many of the other Mom's are asking their friends this same question..... :rotfl:

Seriously though, with your talent, anything you make is going to be adorable!
Ok- I need help. In a fit of good intentions, I brought my sewing machine home from my mother's house (its been in the basement since I first bought it). I tried and tried, but I can't thread the needle and bobbin for my life. :sad1: I have never been able to figure this out - that's why it ended up in the basement in the first place. :confused3 I was told to try here- if anyone can help me- it's you guys! You make the coolest stuff ever!!

I really, really want to try to make my DS1 a bowling shirt in that really cute cars fabric- but I can't. I won't even buy a pattern until I get the basics. What should I do?

Anyone know where to start for a real beginner? I have a small, White brand sewing machine- I even broke the needle yesterday trying this..... sigh. If I ever figure it out- I can do more cool stuff with the Big Give and I really want to!

Help please! Where do I start? Any help would be lovely and I thank you in advance. I want that shirt so bad for him, one of his only words is "car" and I can't find any in stores.
Could you let us know what model it is? Or, post a picture for us?

I am very suspisious..... As most of you know my son is in the USAF and stationed in OK. I am in NJ. He is married and they have my only grandchild, Emily Rose. Anyway they are coming home for Easter. Originally this was going to be a surprise for everyone they were going to be here April 1st which is my husbands birthday and surprise everyone. I was going to be the only one that knew they were coming. The plan was to tell everyone that Marty couldn't get leave and they weren't coming but after a horrible winter followed by the death of a beloved Uncle last month I told them that the family really needed something to look forward so we canceled the surprise part of the plan. The kids decided to come earlier and were supposed to be here today. On Tuesday Marty calls and says that his leave was canceled for the weekend because they have a project at work and he won't be able to leave until Sunday morning and they will be here by Tuesday. Yesterday I call my Daughter-in-Law and she doesn't answer her cell, that never happens. My son calls 5 minuets later but I didn't get it in time so I call him right back and get his voice mail, also unusual. He calls me back 10 minutes later and I can tell he's in the car so I ask what he's up to and he tells me that he and Jen and Emily are on their way to Laughton to the mall because Jen and Emily haven't been out in a few days and have cabin fever. Laughton is an hour away from their house. It doesn't make sense that they would drive an hour to the mall and back just to get out 2 days before they take a 3 day road trip!
I am thinking they are trying to surprise me and while I would be delighted to see them here early I am in a little bit of a panic because I have 2 outfits that I want to get done for Emily this weekend and then of course there is the laundry, and housekeeping that I usually get done on the weekends and I really need to get out and get some groceries, etc. OK it's 5:30 am and I have a simply sweet and easy fits to cut out.

How exciting!! I hope you are right!

Wow! I am so far behind! I had a lot going on with school, papers and mid-terms. I have a long weekend and I am going to enjoy every second. Everything posted lately is just beautiful!

The Mary Poppins sticks out in my mind because you all know how much we LOVE her! It came out just beautiful, you did an amazing job!!!

The bell does look great with the hoop. It looked beautiful without it too. I would probably add a "fluffer" (what my daughter calls it) too, to fluff up the top of the dress below the waist. I usually make them like a simply tutu with strips of tulle tied around an elastic waist band. That would poof up the top of the dress too.

I hope I can get back later and comment some more. I know there was so many beautiful things posted lately!

Thank you to of you who found me on facebook. I am new to facebook and my friends have been telling me to join and it would help get my name out there. I definitely wanted to see all the wonderful stuff everyone on here talks about posting on their pages. Look forward to seeing all of you there soon.

I need some ideas if you please. My son had his first t-ball practice and on the way home announced that Mom needs a baseball Mommy shirt. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a design I can purchase? I would love to do one, but I just don't have any clue what to do. Thanks!

I need some ideas if you please. My son had his first t-ball practice and on the way home announced that Mom needs a baseball Mommy shirt. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a design I can purchase? I would love to do one, but I just don't have any clue what to do. Thanks!

Did you want to do them yourself or just purchase the shirts? We always go for the whole "Embarrass you kids!" thing! (By now I hope you all know I'm saying that jokingly, my kids aren't really embarrassed, they love it!) For the "fan" shirts we do them at "Customizedgirl.com" and wait for a special. Right now they have shirts for $7.95 and that includes the graphics and printing!

Here's the one I designed for softball last year. It was pretty funny, the team decided that it was a lucky shirt, so I really heard from the girls if I didn't wear it! And one of the girl's even jokingly said to her mom "How come you don't love ME that much???" (The mom is great, the coach, and obviously had to wear a team shirt as the coach!)

proudmom.jpg

These are some fun shirts we just got. Hannah is in competitive Dance this year so the WHOLE family decided we wanted to surprise her with these:

For little brothers "Phineas" and "Ferb":
brothershirts.jpg

For big sisters Emmy and Lizzie:
sistershirts.jpg

They were so affordable we also got them for me, dad and gramma! You really can't beat $8 a shirt.

Okay I'm sure there are crafty people out there who can send you in the right direction if you want to make it yourself. This was our solution, at first because I wasn't crafty and now because all my machines and materials are packed while we make home repairs!

Marah

Did you want to do them yourself or just purchase the shirts? We always go for the whole "Embarrass you kids!" thing! (By now I hope you all know I'm saying that jokingly, my kids aren't really embarrassed, they love it!) For the "fan" shirts we do them at "Customizedgirl.com" and wait for a special. Right now they have shirts for $7.95 and that includes the graphics and printing!

Here's the one I designed for softball last year. It was pretty funny, the team decided that it was a lucky shirt, so I really heard from the girls if I didn't wear it! And one of the girl's even jokingly said to her mom "How come you don't love ME that much???" (The mom is great, the coach, and obviously had to wear a team shirt as the coach!)

proudmom.jpg

These are some fun shirts we just got. Hannah is in competitive Dance this year so the WHOLE family decided we wanted to surprise her with these:

For little brothers "Phineas" and "Ferb":
brothershirts.jpg

For big sisters Emmy and Lizzie:
sistershirts.jpg

They were so affordable we also got them for me, dad and gramma! You really can't beat $8 a shirt.

Okay I'm sure there are crafty people out there who can send you in the right direction if you want to make it yourself. This was our solution, at first because I wasn't crafty and now because all my machines and materials are packed while we make home repairs!

Marah

Those are just precious! I love the fan shirts! My husband is the coach so he will be wearing a matching shirt, but my 2 year old and I have got to come up with something before the first game. I was hoping some of the awesome ladies on this board had a digitized design that would work, but I may go to the site you mentioned for some fun shirts too.

Dawn

Those are just precious! I love the fan shirts! My husband is the coach so he will be wearing a matching shirt, but my 2 year old and I have got to come up with something before the first game. I was hoping some of the awesome ladies on this board had a digitized design that would work, but I may go to the site you mentioned for some fun shirts too.

Dawn

I love Heather's stuff but I haven't noticed a baseball one yet. Claire at Stitch on Time had a "Baseball Mom" logo, but I don't think it's made it back online yet after her reorganizing.

I hadn't seen one on Heather's site either. I was hoping there were some more sites you awesome ladies knew about that would have something on them. I can't create my own yet!

Great!!! Thank you!!!

And, like my sister said, we were talking about you at Pizza night last night!!! We LOOOVE your Tiana! (and all the other ones!)

OK...SERIOUSLY...Why can't I multi quote??? :mad:

Anyway, I wish I could have REALLY made it to pizza night! Dinner at our house was kind of a bomb and pizza sounds really yummy... :goodvibes Thanks again for the ego strokes....you just may inspire me to keep sewing for a while! :laughing:

Here are my Stripwork dresses for Ali's Big Give (one for Ali, one for her sister). Now that they are finished I can move on to Lisa's Zoe skirt - I am making them for my girls for Easter. they asked for skirts instead of dresses this year. There have been some beautiful things posted lately - I have been to busy to do much more than lurk, but this thread is always so inspiring to me!!

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

Finished my outfits for the big give:
th_biggive003.jpg
th_biggive006.jpg
th_biggive010.jpg
th_biggive008.jpg

These are so cute! They are going to love them. And I think the purses are a great little "extra".

I was talking about the Cathy pattern. I was wondering if anyone tried the red/blakc/white/yellow minnie dot combos. Also any of the disney fabrics out there. I wonder how the new Peter Pan stuff would look...

I haven't tried the red/black/white/yellow combo yet but I made these for big gives a few weeks ago with the "cathy" pattern
SDC12701.jpg

SDC12692.jpg

Oh, wait, I forgot her most important sewing contribution - to mess with that fun little tension dial when I wasn't looking! It spins up, it spins down. And mom never checks it until things are not sewing right!

Deb

Haha!! Too cute!

OMG - I got myself 30+ pages behind again! The fundraiser I'm co-chairing is in 2 weeks... we've been working on it since last summer and I'm really ready to be done ;)

Now that is my kind of Birthday! What is the name of the front Moda fabric?

The stack in the lower right is Plume by Tula Pink. If you're thinking about getting some, get it sooner rather than later. All the pre-cuts (charm squares, jelly rolls, fat quarter sets) are sold out at Moda, and I've heard that sales of it are swift at stores. I'm trying not to use that as reasoning to stock up on her last line - Hushabye - while I still can :rotfl:

Jham - I really want to see Lilly's Pink Cowboy outfit!! I wanted to use the pink Riley Blake cowboy prints for my daughter's rodeo outfit, but ended up using the brown colorway instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter