• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disboutiquers Part 17 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make twirl tshirt dresses for DD a lot. I've found that as long as I topstitch, they're fine. Sometimes I also add a trim like ribbon, etc. over the top. When I sew that down, it adds another couple of rows of stitching. But I don't think it "needs" it, DD just likes the way it looks.

I posted already, but if it helps, here's a pic of one I did last week.
IMG_2819.jpg

Thank you ~ it was very helpful.:love:
I managed to finish it tonight and I only had to rip it out 5 times:scared1:
But I think it turned out OK:rolleyes1

Thank you ~ it was very helpful.:love:
I managed to finish it tonight and I only had to rip it out 5 times:scared1:
But I think it turned out OK:rolleyes1

Don't worry, I'm sure it turned out great! (and 5 times isn't that many)...
so... when do we get to see pics?

You know I love it! I think Nik was very clever to do the designs without fabric behind them. They look so pretty that way, too!

th_DSCF6133.jpg
th_DSCF6132.jpg
th_DSCF6129.jpg

Aidan's outfit

In other news my sil is in the hospital right now being induced. So we will see our new little niece very soon!! Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. They told her she might have to have a c-section due to issues with her hips. So excited for the new little princess!
Wow! That Yoda outfit is SO cool!! He is going to LOVE that! They are both just fantastic!

How is your SIL? Any news?

WOW!!! Jeanne, this is really beautiful! I love Lily's orange shoes. I'd love to get a peek at that girl's closet! :rotfl:

Heather

I saw the awesome halloween designs... but ya know, Some of us are planning Christmas trips and really, really, really, really, really need some Christmas designs. Plllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssee!

I second that! (I know she's got some in the works, though!)

Are you people trying to kill me? :rotfl2: I will get some Christmas designs up well before Christmas, I promise! I am working on getting my kids some cute stuff to wear for our October trip for now. Then, I'll get to work on some of my requests. Marah helped me come up with some ideas for Christmas stuff and I can't wait to get started on it!

On a different note. Katie started preschool today. I made her (my first ever) portrait peasant dress. Why have I not made one sooner? I love this pattern. She was the talk of the class. Her teachers loved it and I was so proud when she said "my Mommy made my dress." I will post pics tonight. She has a cheer party at a bounce place, Leanne has cheer practice for both her teams and Cameron has football.... all at the same time. I better get busy.
I want pictures!

:hug: on the first day of preschool blues. I'm taking Sawyer to visit a preschool near us tomorrow. Tessa never went to preschool, so this is all new to me! But, Sawyer really needs some kids his own age to play with. I hope we like it!

I LOVE Chip 'N Dale! This is so unique! I really like the big print fabric. It's really cool!

How do you like your fridge? The freezer on the bottom concept intrigues me.

I will post a few pictures in a few days of some of the outfits I made for our July trip if anyone wants to see them!
Yes please! I'd love to see the pictures!

That turned out fabulous! I have yet to try a patchwork twirl skirt! I did buy one from Tom. Does that count? :lmao:

I spy a sweet baby wearing footie pajamas in the background. So cute!

Well, I have to say its really creepy outside. Looks like its a cold, windy, wintery overcast day, but its actually over 100 and the smoke from the fires in So Cal have made it look like winter. The helicopters fighting the fires come our way for water (from the miller brewing company:rotfl2:) and they are refueling at a local airport. And the ash is falling. I pray that they can contain and save the homes that are in the way. Oh and the TV transmitters that bring communication to Los Angeles!

And I have some really good news.... my DH finally got tired of me mopping around the house complaining about the heat. I felt bad abandoning my DH to go to San Diego to get out of the heat, but man I am too old for no a/c in this long heat wave. So he called this morning as I was getting ready to load up my sewing stuff heading south and said, DON'T GO!! He bought me an air conditioner!! So now, at least my downstairs is cool!! I have no idea why we didn't do that sooner. I may sleep on the couch tonight!!
I'll banana with you! :banana::banana::banana: I live in Michigan and I still can't imagine being without AC! I hope those fires stay away from you!

OOH!! So pretty! I love the way you used that ballet panel. I tried to figure out how you could use it and drew a blank. But, this is great! That Hannah is such a pretty little model!

My DS10 wants me to make him a super sluth Tshirt like poohs, for our breakfast at CP.
I would suggest an iron-on if you're not comfortable with your applique skills. Iron-ons can be really cute! Or, if you're looking for a bit of a hand-sewn look, you could iron it onto a separate piece of fabric. Then, you could do a frayed applique onto the t-shirt.

Ok, here are the promised pics of the fairy dress, plus a couple others I have managed to finish between betting used to "big school" for DD, cheer practice and dance!

th_DSCF0043-1.jpg
th_DSCF0048.jpg
th_DSCF0051.jpg
th_DSCF0052.jpg
FABULOUS!!!! I LOVE them all!!! Wow! They're so cool!

Need help with machine applique. i bought some designs from u know who! on etsy and I have never done anything like this before. Mom printed out the picture on the grid for the applique so I can cut out the pieces of fabric. How exactly do I do that? Do i just cut out the pieces from the print out as a pattern? Trace it and then cut out? So confused here and I need to be ready for Thursday so we can tackle the outfit!
You don't need to precut the fabric pieces. It's much easier than all that! Here's a great video tutorial that shows you how to use the designs.

http://swakembroidery.com/swak-101.htm#

Newbie Question!

Do I really need to wash all of my fabric before sewing? It seems to me it would be easier to sew with unwashed fabric because it is unwrinkled and the edges are not frayed so it is easier to measure, cut and match up. However everyone including Carla says to wash it first. What do you pros think?
I agree with everyone else, you must wash it! A few months back I decided I wasn't going to prewash my fabric anymore. BIG mistake! I made 2 adorable outfits that Tessa won't be able to wear again because they shrunk after I washed them!

Baby update: After being in labor all day my sil started having other complications with swelling and not progressing so she is having a c-section right now!! Sounds like she was pretty miserable! She was vomiting and had to have two epidurals because they put the first one in the wrong place!!

Also, Thanks for the comments everyone about the Big Give outfits! I hope the boys like them! They got Lucas 5 1/2 year old approval!

Thanks again, see I didn't even know you could get different needles:rotfl2:

I've just had another look at the tutorial...maybe I'll have another practive tomorrow....I will keep you posted

The worse thing is I feel underpressure to get it looking good, as my DH has specifically asked for this and up until now it's been all about my dd. I think hes feeling a bit left out
Hehe.. yes. I know some people aren't so picky about their needles. I always switch my needle depending on what fabric I use. I find I get much better results that way.
I think the shirt would be so cute. I made my DD a supersleuth dress with the logo on the top part. I was really surprised that my parents said it wasn't a big hit at DW with the CMs. I guess they don't watch playhouse disney much. :scared1:

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Sorry, my photo skills aren't the best, and the appliques don't show up the best. they are the lego star wars, and are much cuter in person!
OMGOSH@!! I love it!! I wish my DD new what Star Wars was so I could make her a set like this and not feel selfish. Does your DD like SW??

Newbie Question!

Do I really need to wash all of my fabric before sewing? It seems to me it would be easier to sew with unwashed fabric because it is unwrinkled and the edges are not frayed so it is easier to measure, cut and match up. However everyone including Carla says to wash it first. What do you pros think?
WASH IT!! ;)
Or.. don't wash it, and then one day when your fabric shrinks a couple inches after you sewed it you will realize why we all said to wash it.

Need help with machine applique. i bought some designs from u know who! on etsy and I have never done anything like this before. Mom printed out the picture on the grid for the applique so I can cut out the pieces of fabric. How exactly do I do that? Do i just cut out the pieces from the print out as a pattern? Trace it and then cut out? So confused here and I need to be ready for Thursday so we can tackle the outfit!
Here is a link to a machine applique tutorial.
http://www.designsbyjuju.com/applique.aspx

Baby update: After being in labor all day my sil started having other complications with swelling and not progressing so she is having a c-section right now!! Sounds like she was pretty miserable! She was vomiting and had to have two epidurals because they put the first one in the wrong place!!
I had a similar experience. Poor girl.
Hope everything goes well with the surgery. Let us know!

Are you people trying to kill me? :rotfl2: I will get some Christmas designs up well before Christmas, I promise! I am working on getting my kids some cute stuff to wear for our October trip for now. Then, I'll get to work on some of my requests. Marah helped me come up with some ideas for Christmas stuff and I can't wait to get started on it!

Not trying to kill you; and totally respect your need to focus on October; but at the risk of sounding like Veruca Salt, (insert whine) "I want it nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowww" If I sing you the song, will it help?:rotfl: I'll try very very hard to be patient, but you know I'm sketching the outfits now and I need to know what appliques, etc. I'm working around (already have a park faire design drawn out, and trust me, I'll own part of your vision correction surgery too. LOL)

Also, Thanks for the comments everyone about the Big Give outfits! I hope the boys like them! They got Lucas 5 1/2 year old approval!
Oh Gosh, almost there! I'm praying for her right nowl

I actually have something to share for once. :lmao: It's not sewing but it's crafty. :thumbsup2 The girls and I are starting some tie dye projects. Whatcha think????

eeyore-1.jpg

momswirl.jpg

tink.jpg

tinkcloseup.jpg

I thought I'd save a little space on quoting photos since I have so many outfits to comment on!

I loved:

The Cindy skirt with HeatherSue's appliques on it. Love the fabric choices!

The Big Give yoda and cars. Those came out so cute.

Halloween Punkin Head Mickey dress and shirt. That is so well put together and it fits so nicely. Love the fabric combos too.

The Chip and Dale pink dress. Was that a sheet or by-the-yard fabric? That's so unique and I loved how you placed the large designs on the fabric in the garment.

The patchwork twirl fairy skirt looks really cute! I haven't even seen some of those fabrics and I thought I was stalking all the of the Tink fabric floating around out there. The fabrics work together well, too. I really need to make something else fairy-inspired so my girl has something with which to wear the wings she decided to use her gift card on at the Disney store.

The ballet outfit is really great! What a creative use of that panel.

The Rosetta outfit was really well done! I own that pattern but haven't tackled it yet. (I liked the CM and Star Wars outfits too!)

Lastly, the tie dye shirts are awesome! How did you do the resist? Is there a tutorial? (Or can you write one? :rolleyes1)

Anna, I'm so excited about your new niece! I bet she's here by now! What's her name?

I actually have something to share for once. :lmao: It's not sewing but it's crafty. :thumbsup2 The girls and I are starting some tie dye projects. Whatcha think????

th_eeyore-1.jpg

th_momswirl.jpg

th_tink.jpg

th_tinkcloseup.jpg
HOW did you do that?! I LOVE the Eeyore and Tink! That is SO cool! Really, how did you do that?

Not trying to kill you; and totally respect your need to focus on October; but at the risk of sounding like Veruca Salt, (insert whine) "I want it nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowww" If I sing you the song, will it help?:rotfl: I'll try very very hard to be patient, but you know I'm sketching the outfits now and I need to know what appliques, etc. I'm working around (already have a park faire design drawn out, and trust me, I'll own part of your vision correction surgery too. LOL)

Well, perhaps if you sing that song with gusto and upload it to youtube...
:rotfl::lmao:

Don't worry, I'm sure it turned out great! (and 5 times isn't that many)...
so... when do we get to see pics?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
I embellished some jeans to go with it, but she informed me that she doesn't like the wear jeans under a dress.:sad2:
Then I tried to convince her that it was a long shirt:idea: but she wouldn't go for it:rolleyes:

The Baby's name is Emery Kathryn. They are going to call her emi. I haven't heard anything more, I am sure they are waiting til morning to call everyone.
You're up late Heather what are you up to? And where is Teresa??

I want to know more about the tie dye resist too! I facebook commented about it! I haven't heard of that before.

th_eeyore-1.jpg

OOH OOOH OOH!!! I LOOOOVE that!!! These are so cool!!!

Hi heather! :wave:

i too would love to see the youtube video!

The Baby's name is Emery Kathryn. They are going to call her emi. I haven't heard anything more, I am sure they are waiting til morning to call everyone.

I want to know more about the tie dye resist too! I facebook commented about it! I haven't heard of that before.

I'm here! Although I think I'll head to bed now!

I haven't been on much, because a friend of our family (I took care of their kids for many years) died on Saturday. He fought stage 4 colorectal cancer for the past year and a half. We went to the funeral today and yesterday (Monday) was visitation at their house. They released 51 balloons on monday, one for each year of his life. It was really beautiful. I posted pics on Facebook. i feel so bad for the family.

Hi heather! :wave:

i too would love to see the youtube video!

I'm here! Although I think I'll head to bed now!

I haven't been on much, because a friend of our family (I took care of their kids for many years) died on Saturday. He fought stage 4 colorectal cancer for the past year and a half. We went to the funeral today and yesterday (Monday) was visitation at their house. They released 51 balloons on monday, one for each year of his life. It was really beautiful. I posted pics on Facebook. i feel so bad for the family.
Oh there you are! I am sorry to hear about your friend. I saw the pictures and wondered what happened.
I better get to bed too. I more week til school starts and I have been getting lucas up at "school time" to get him ready. It's back to school night tomorrow!

Hello all of you talented ladies!

I am VERY new to sewing... but I had a quick question.

I'm looking at purchasing an embroidery machine and wondered what you all thought of the Brother SE530 machine? Do any of you have it? Do you like it? Would you recommend a different machine?

Thanks for your input and I've been learning a TON just by reading through your posts. I hope someday I'm able to sew as well as you guys...

You don't precut the piecs like a hand applique. You lay an uncut piec of fabric on top and allow the machine to stitch the outline. Then take the hoop off the machine and trip really close to the stitching. Put it back and it will zig zag arount the edges in the next step. You do all the fabric pieces like that and then the satin stitching is last. I suggest getting some of the duck bill applique scissors. They have made a huge difference in how close I can trim.

You don't need to precut the fabric pieces. It's much easier than all that! Here's a great video tutorial that shows you how to use the designs.

http://swakembroidery.com/swak-101.htm#

Thank you! Thank you! I am so happy that I don't have to precut my material! Yeah! Can't wait till tomorrow to work on it.!

Thanks again, see I didn't even know you could get different needles:rotfl2:

I've just had another look at the tutorial...maybe I'll have another practive tomorrow....I will keep you posted

The worse thing is I feel underpressure to get it looking good, as my DH has specifically asked for this and up until now it's been all about my dd. I think hes feeling a bit left out
Just remember to actually change the needles. I bought ballpoint a month or so ago at advice I read on here and when I tried appliqueing on a t my machine ate the t. Guess it would have made a difference if I actually switched to the correct needle before sewing! Fortunately I was using an old t that barely fit dd anymore. I am now making a peasant top, though I did finish up the applique on the t with the ballpoint to a) make sure that was the problem (it was) and b)to practice more b/c a couple of my stiches were a little wonky. Just buy a little extra fabric and practice first.

Ok, here are the promised pics of the fairy dress, plus a couple others I have managed to finish between betting used to "big school" for DD, cheer practice and dance!

th_DSCF0043-1.jpg

This is for Chef Mickey:
th_DSCF0048.jpg

And a Star Wars Set
th_DSCF0051.jpg

th_DSCF0052.jpg

Sorry, my photo skills aren't the best, and the appliques don't show up the best. they are the lego star wars, and are much cuter in person!
Most impressive! The fairy fabric looks like it would be very hard to work with. I think that would scare me!
The CM is my favorite -- it's soooo cute!
The SW is fantastic as well. My dh might actually wear a SW applique t, but none of the rest of us are SW fans so I don't see matching outfits in our future.

Newbie Question!

A few years ago I made my ds a very comlicated shirt (took hours from a commercial pattern). Had no clue to prewash. Not only was the pattern on the small size, the shirt shrunk and really faded. So not only wash, but wash in COLD and I also do not use fabric softener only b/c I read that somewhere on here. All that work and he wore the shirt maybe twice. I did sell it at a yard sale though and someone actually bought it -- my first sold custom for $1 LOL!

Much luck to your sister. I've heard epis can make you vomit, though I didn't have one and I vomited (I vomited most every day of my 9 mos pg though -- just the first, for my second the morning sickness ended at 7 mos). I read ahead and love Emi for a name! It's one of my favorites :) Also, with a c-sec that second epi had better work!!! Are you busy sewing for your new niece?

Loved the t-dye t-shirts with eeyore and Tink as well (and btw, don't accidentally type shirts without the "r" as I just did -- don't want to get kicked off the boards).

Alright folks, must finish figuring out plans since Dec hours are released (really just can't figure out where to fit Akershus into the mix -- may end up trying for CRT instead but I heard Akershus has much nicer princesses) and also need to run to the fabric store so I can add a ruffle to my peasant top and pick up some elastic (oh the kids are going to LOVE me today!). Hopefully tomorrow you will all see a photo of Alexa in her halloween set (though she may refuse to model as she dislikes the spiderweb fabric).

well ladies...here is my 2nd attempt at making a patchwork twirl skirt. this one was going much easier until my machine started acting up on the last tier. I was using the tension gathering technique but the thread kept breaking!! I have no idea what was going on....any ideas? it was working fine then all of a sudden not working. I had to gather the last tier by hand which really slowed me down and upset me. I don't want to keep sewing if I have to do this by hand and my machine can't support a ruffler foot. ugh....anyway here's the skirt. (I didn't show her face due to the incident a few days ago...)
IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg
Look at the twirl factor! Love it!
I finished Hannah's ballet themed outfit! :) We didn't do a "photoshoot" like the other day, just grabbed a few pictures in the back yard. This was that $2 panel I posted up the other day, I just made the outfit up as I went along! It doesn't show up too well in these pictures, but the purple section has small white dots.

ballet1b.jpg

ballet2.jpg

ballet3x.jpg

ballet4.jpg

ballet5.jpg
That is adorable and I love how happy hannah always looks!

Love the skirt and Heather's designs look great! I am glad to hear your 10 year old will wear princessy stuff. My almost 6 year old told me princesses are kinda of babyish.
thanks! Yeah I am reall happy she will still wear princess stuff even if it is only at WDW! She said she would wear this on the weekend too. Good enough for me. She just LOVE Sleeping Beauty the other day we where in Target and she saw a new SB thing and she actually gasped! :lmao:

DSCF0043-1.jpg

This is for Chef Mickey:
DSCF0048.jpg

And a Star Wars Set
DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

LOVE everything! that SW is GREAT!!!!!

You know I love it! I think Nik was very clever to do the designs without fabric behind them. They look so pretty that way, too!

:hug: on the first day of preschool blues. I'm taking Sawyer to visit a preschool near us tomorrow. Tessa never went to preschool, so this is all new to me! But, Sawyer really needs some kids his own age to play with. I hope we like it!
thanks! Yup that was all Nikki! Frankly it made my work that much easier!

I hope Sawyer likes his prek.

Good luck to your SIL!

eeyore-1.jpg

momswirl.jpg

tink.jpg

tinkcloseup.jpg
These are GREAT!!!!

Thanks again for all the complements on Nikki's skirt! You all know how to make a person feel good.

I just realized technically I will be in Disney next month!:scared1:

Hi Everyone,
We are at the all star music family suites, having a great time, free dining is great but soooo much food, we have 4 days left and 30 counter service meals and 42 snacks and 24 table service meals left, and we are all so full. But the food is so good, Nicole my 6 year old has gotten a lot of special attention with her custom clothes, we even met JUJU(insert numbers) on our first day in line for Autopia, she recognized Nicole fand the dress from the boards. I made Nicole a denim and red checked dress for Hoop de doo and she got chosen to go up on stage to be in the finale and she was so cute:lovestruc She got to blow the whistle on the boat to Magic Kingdom cause the pilot liked her dress too. It has been a lot of fun. The crowds have not been too bad, it feels crowded but the line ups aren't too long, we have walked onto TSM 2 mornings after rope drop even though the wait time said 40 minutes. It is very hot and humid, and we have had some great thunder storms and heavy rain (but only on days when I DON'T bring the ponchos, good thing we are used to the rain).
On our way to O'hana for breakfast now, be home on Tuesday.

eeyore-1.jpg

momswirl.jpg

tink.jpg

tinkcloseup.jpg
Cute! I'd love a tute on how to do the resist, too!

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
I embellished some jeans to go with it, but she informed me that she doesn't like the wear jeans under a dress.:sad2:
Then I tried to convince her that it was a long shirt:idea: but she wouldn't go for it:rolleyes:
wait until it gets colder and she'll probably change her mind;)

Congrats to the happy family!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. I'll be praying for the family.
Hello all of you talented ladies!

I am VERY new to sewing... but I had a quick question.

I'm looking at purchasing an embroidery machine and wondered what you all thought of the Brother SE530 machine? Do any of you have it? Do you like it? Would you recommend a different machine?

Thanks for your input and I've been learning a TON just by reading through your posts. I hope someday I'm able to sew as well as you guys...
I would really recommend a machine with a 5x7 hoop. This machine has a 4x4. I think, especially if you sew for kids, that the 4x4 size would get frustrating; or at least it did for me. I've been really happy so far w/ my PES700ii. It's one of the less expensive of the 5x7's.

Don't tempt me; I was a music major... I wonder if I could use lollipop stick me's and kind of puppet it (trust me, ya don't want to see my pic on you tube!:rotfl2:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter