Disboutiquers Part 12 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I'm Sarah, and although I have sewn in the past,
I am currently craft-challenged.
I AM a good friend of HeatherSue and TeresaJoy IRL,
so I hope that's my golden ticket to pick your brains.

I'm a happy WDW obsessed, homeschooling mom of seven awesome,
also Disney obsessed, children.

Yup, seven.

Yup, we take them ALL to WDW.

Yup, we're nuts.

Heather has tried to give me some ideas, and I thought I'd open it to others.

I'm thinking of some sort of simple short outfits, not tank top,
for my little girls (will be 6, 5, and 3 on our Sept. trip),
inexpensive,
that would be possibly princess or mickey/fab 5 themed,
but not scratchy or multilayered (and hot, and bulky to carry around),
like their princess costumes that we already own.

Something they could wear all day (in theory).

I'm thinking - what would Cinderella or Belle or Ariel wear on their day off,
while still retaining their regal-ness.

And it has to be simple enough for me to make.

Oh, and if it could be in colors that the rest of us could match/coordinate without Daddy and the boys looking girly, bonus!

Is that too tall an order? :rotfl:

AND - last trip (07), I found GREAT matching T's at Disneyshopping
for around $5 a piece,
and am NOT having any luck finding a matching shirt for the whole family
without paying $17 a pop for their customs.
(We will be a group of 12 or 13).
We could just wear matching PLAIN colored t-shirts everyday,
but where's the fun in that?

So...I'll take any suggestions for t-shirt magic.

No names on the shirts, so simple patterns would do.
I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten crafty with a Clorox Bleach pen and a colored shirt???
[Can you tell I'm desperate?]

Thanks for indulging my questions and ignorance! :wizard:

I was too thinking of the tie dye mickey shirts. here is the link to the tie dye instructions
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1210609

I think even a stripwork top would be cute. you could make many out of a few yards of fabric for all the girls. and then just do matching colors for adults and boys. Pillow case shirts would be cute too, with a Tee underneath. Even doing a mickey head in different fabrics for each member of the family sewing it with zigzag stitch or something simple.

Ok, trying to use my brain here: I'm guessing that's a CarlaC pattern on the youcanmakethis site? And perhaps a pillow case for the picture? That's a thought. They could each be a different princess even.

I think I've seen instructions on the tye dye before. It could be done with one color dye, no?

How does one go about making iron ons? Do you have to have a special type of printer, or just special paper and your normal printer?
[I sound so smart on all of this, don't I?]

I appreciate the input! :thumbsup2

Yep, one colour works too. And I followed the instructions that PrincessKell just posted. So many options. I just did iron ons for the first time last month. Easier than I thought

You know I was looking at the tie dye thread i posted, and thought....hmmm what if you dyed white fabric with the mickey heads all over it and made a complete outfit, either pants or skirt what have you. and just paired it with e white shirt with a tie dyed mickey head (instead of whole shirt). I know lots of work, but how cute would that be...

Yes, Morgan has a boyfriend.... umm "fiance". :lmao: She tells me she is going to marry him. I have the cutest pic of the two of them-he was putting a ring on her finger at MK.

HEY! He may be a keeper! At least he already knows how to propose appropriately!

Ok, trying to use my brain here: I'm guessing that's a CarlaC pattern on the youcanmakethis site? And perhaps a pillow case for the picture? That's a thought. They could each be a different princess even.

I think I've seen instructions on the tye dye before. It could be done with one color dye, no?

How does one go about making iron ons? Do you have to have a special type of printer, or just special paper and your normal printer?

Yes, that is Carla Cs Portrait peasant top and Easy Fit pants, 2 of the easiest patterns to make. Technically I used a fabric panel for a wall hanging, but yes, a pillowcase would work well.

I was too thinking of the tie dye mickey shirts. here is the link to the tie dye instructions
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1210609

I think even a stripwork top would be cute. you could make many out of a few yards of fabric for all the girls. and then just do matching colors for adults and boys. Pillow case shirts would be cute too, with a Tee underneath. Even doing a mickey head in different fabrics for each member of the family sewing it with zigzag stitch or something simple.

Where would I go to find some examples of these last suggestions, and to find the infamous "t-shirt design" thread or post or page or whatever.

I'm a quick learner, once I get the lingo down, but I don't know what half this stuff is. LOL

Where would I go to find some examples of these last suggestions, and to find the infamous "t-shirt design" thread or post or page or whatever.

I'm a quick learner, once I get the lingo down, but I don't know what half this stuff is. LOL

this is the Creative DISigns forum. This is where you could get designs for iron ons.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Vegas in July? :scared1: :rotfl2: Fortunately they have great air conditioning!

Hey! No laughing at me! I had no plans of really seeing much of outside anyway...wait that sounded kinda naughty didn't it? I plan on seeing some shows...maybe...just want to look around and really...I don't care what we do! We have been away only once without the kids so it's kinda weird to go places without them...we usually spend the whole time talking about them!:lmao: But the even funnier part...he wants to go see Hoover Dam...ugh...if any of you read my TR...you would so get my issue with that one!:headache: I kinda excited I think by now!

OK, sorry guys for the extraneous post, but my DD saw my siggie and was mad that she wasn't a princess too. But they have no jumping princesses and that's basically what she does all day so....I chose jumping smilie for her.

She didn't like it.

She also dosen't believe I changed it so I have to post and show her!

See Elaina?? You are princess now OK? :lovestruc

Back to your regularly scheduled sewing talk. Thanks everyone!

For iron ons you use your printer and t-shirt transfer paper you cn buy t Wal-Mart, craft stores or office supply.

I can help you with designs for the transfers if you would like or head over to the cretive designs board here on the Dis for tons of designs.

Tracie

I know a few of you ladies have been to the American Girl Doll Store in NYC. What hotel did you stay in, reasonable, close to the store and safe. The first hotel I looked at close to the store was the Peninsula and at $1,000 a night for a double room, I just about died laughing. We are about 1 and 1/2 hours away from NYC so we could just drive up, but really want to stay overnight. So where have you all stayed and tell me about it. We are going to surprise DD for her 6th birthday.:)

I know a few of you ladies have been to the American Girl Doll Store in NYC. What hotel did you stay in, reasonable, close to the store and safe. The first hotel I looked at close to the store was the Peninsula and at $1,000 a night for a double room, I just about died laughing. We are about 1 and 1/2 hours away from NYC so we could just drive up, but really want to stay overnight. So where have you all stayed and tell me about it. We are going to surprise DD for her 6th birthday.:)

Check out Orbitz. We are going to NY in April to do this and see Little Mermad. You can get a decent hotel room in Midtown for under $250 including all the taxes.

My suggestion is to bug Tracie on the DISigns forum like I always do ;) Here are the latest things she made for my DD

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30664926&postcount=453

My 2nd suggestion is to get transfer paper for DARK colors no matter what color tshirt you are using. The color comes out better and you do not need to reverse the image on your printer.

Another random comment...what is up with all the young love lately? Spring in the air or something? Facebook people know this one but there is a little boy @ basketball who keeps calling Aisling "Bella"- Spanish is his first language so I was trying to explain to Aisling that he's calling her beautiful after she kept yelling at him every week "my name is ASH-LING" Anyway, last night he came over and just started kissing her head over and over. And then he asked "why can't I marry Bella so I can kiss her all the time???"

Weren't boys gross when we were 5????

We've all been taking turns getting sick this week- AGAIN!!! Today was Tessa's turn. I thought we were all better yesterday, so I had my friend's little girl over to spend the night. Unfortunately, we probably exposed her to it, too. NOT good because her mom (my best friend, Jenny) had surgery this week and just got out of the hospital last night. UGH! I hope she doesn't get it!!

Anyway, Ryen, my friend's little girl, has always wanted a Mermaid skirt with a tail. So, I took her to Walmart yesterday and let her pick out fabric. I had no idea how I was going to do it, but I kinda figured it out. It was surprisingly easy to make. I did the applique by hand. Jessica has a point with it being faster to do them by hand sometimes. This would have taken me forever to digitize, hoop, and then embroider on the machine. But, it was pretty fast by hand.

This outfit was for her 4th birthday (last year I made her a princess dress out of sheets and a pink underdress that you may remember). She kept saying "Oh Heather, thank you so much for making me a mermaid tail. I just can't believe you made this for me." I'd sew that kid anything she wants! :rotfl:

Ryensmermaidoutfit020_446x700.jpg
Ryensmermaidoutfit028_466x700.jpg

The back:
Ryensmermaidoutfit021_383x700.jpg

Close up of shirt:
Ryensmermaidoutfit013_700x675.jpg

Close up of tail:
Ryensmermaidoutfit016_700x466.jpg

Ryen says that Sawyer is her boyfriend. I guess he agrees! What is up with my kids and young love?! :rolleyes:
Ryensmermaidoutfit031_700x466.jpg

Heather this is absolutely adorable!!!!! I just love it!!! You need to do a little tutorial for this!!! You are such a sweetheart to do this for Ryen!!!

Some really good friends of mine are taking their kids tomorrow night :) I made them shirts with their names and disney characters (designed by Kellybell on the design board, she has a photobucket account you can go search for names in, it's listed in her siggie on all her posts) They turned out really cute!

Have fun!!

Sorry I'm drive by posting, it's been a busy busy week!

So we go to disney on ice TOMORROW!!!! And I haven't made anything or even started!! We are going to 100 years of magic. My sisters family is going too so I plan to have three matching/coordinating outfits done for the 11am performance. Good thing we have no work or school today!!
I did pick up some $1 deals at walmart that just might work. At least for the boys!
If you all have any quick and easy solutions for me send them my way please!

I also made a Dr. Suess day outfit for Sophia this week but I didn't get pictures yet.

We've all been taking turns getting sick this week- AGAIN!!! Today was Tessa's turn. I thought we were all better yesterday, so I had my friend's little girl over to spend the night. Unfortunately, we probably exposed her to it, too. NOT good because her mom (my best friend, Jenny) had surgery this week and just got out of the hospital last night. UGH! I hope she doesn't get it!!

Anyway, Ryen, my friend's little girl, has always wanted a Mermaid skirt with a tail. So, I took her to Walmart yesterday and let her pick out fabric. I had no idea how I was going to do it, but I kinda figured it out. It was surprisingly easy to make. I did the applique by hand. Jessica has a point with it being faster to do them by hand sometimes. This would have taken me forever to digitize, hoop, and then embroider on the machine. But, it was pretty fast by hand.

This outfit was for her 4th birthday (last year I made her a princess dress out of sheets and a pink underdress that you may remember). She kept saying "Oh Heather, thank you so much for making me a mermaid tail. I just can't believe you made this for me." I'd sew that kid anything she wants! :rotfl:

Ryensmermaidoutfit020_446x700.jpg
Ryensmermaidoutfit028_466x700.jpg

The back:
Ryensmermaidoutfit021_383x700.jpg

Close up of shirt:
Ryensmermaidoutfit013_700x675.jpg

Close up of tail:
Ryensmermaidoutfit016_700x466.jpg

Ryen says that Sawyer is her boyfriend. I guess he agrees! What is up with my kids and young love?! :rolleyes:

Heather... That skirt is adorable! I love the tail. My Leanne loved Ariel when she was little. I pointed to Ariel the other day and asked Katie if she knew who she was and she said "Yeap! That's Barbie." :confused3 She only knows Cinderella and the cast of Mickey Mouse Club house. I can not get that child to sit down and watch anything other than MMCH.

I have other exciting news... I bought a Cricut today. It was out of stock so I will not actually get it until next week sometime, but I so excited. I am hoping this breaks my scrapbook accessory collecting obsession and motivates me to actually scrap book.

While I was at Joann's I asked the ladies at the cutting counter for the empty bolts, so I will be organizing my craft room. It will never be as pretty as AimeeG's, but anything is better than the system I have now.

Since I had to stop by the cutting counter for the empty bolts I bought a few yards of fabric and some fusible interfacing :rolleyes1 When I got to the grocery store I realized the cutting lady had given me the entire bolt of interfacing and kept the 5 yards I bought :scared1: I don't know how I didn't notice until then, but I didn't. Now I have to make a return trip to Joann's later tonight. It will be so horrible :rotfl:

I am off to cut those bolts up and wrap my fabric. As crazy as it sounds I am looking forward to it! Little things make me happy.

Forgot to say the ladies at www.youcanmakethis.com are the best! Not that we didn't know that, but as I mentioned earlier, I had won a copy of the Easy Fit Pants. Carla recently redid them with the new 6 month size. I emailed youcanmakethis and they sent me the update! They totally could have said no, it was free, but they sent it! Yeah for great customer service!! :thumbsup2
:goodvibes :lovestruc :lovestruc hOW SWEET!!! Does anyone know is the 6-month size the only change to this pattern?

Awww how sweet of you to make that for her! It turned out so cute! Are you gonna have to make Tessa one now as well? Lol....love the pic of Sawyer and his girlfriend. Hehehe.

Ok so here is the Pretty Peach Princess in her outfit on our way to school this morning.
DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg
Awww she looks adorable, so cute. You did a great job on the skirt!

Hello everyone!

Yup, seven.

Yup, we're nuts.

inexpensive,

Oh, and if it could be in colors that the rest of us could match/coordinate without Daddy and the boys looking girly, bonus!

Is that too tall an order? :rotfl:

AND - last trip (07), I found GREAT matching T's at Disneyshopping
for around $5 a piece,
and am NOT having any luck finding a matching shirt for the whole family
without paying $17 a pop for their customs.
(We will be a group of 12 or 13).
We could just wear matching PLAIN colored t-shirts everyday,
but where's the fun in that?

So...I'll take any suggestions for t-shirt magic.

No names on the shirts, so simple patterns would do.
I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten crafty with a Clorox Bleach pen and a colored shirt???
[Can you tell I'm desperate?]

Thanks for indulging my questions and ignorance! :wizard:
WOW, welcome!!! I would agree with some others, the Easy Fit Pants/shorts and maybe some peasant shirts or some iron-on designs to match!!!

Yes, Morgan has a boyfriend.... umm "fiance". :lmao: She tells me she is going to marry him. I have the cutest pic of the two of them-he was putting a ring on her finger at MK.
:confused3 Let's see that picture.....!!! (Is it Prince Charming? Mickey?? Aladdin???) LOL

this is the Creative DISigns forum. This is where you could get designs for iron ons.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

I looked all over and couldn't find it! LOL
Thanks!

My suggestion is to buy Tracie on the DISigns forum like I always do ;) Here are the latest things she made for my DD

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30664926&postcount=453

My 2nd suggestion is to get transfer paper for DARK colors no matter what color tshirt you are using. The color comes out better and you do not need to reverse the image on your printer.

Thanks for the advice. Those designs are CUTE! :thumbsup2

Hello everyone!

Yup, seven.

Yup, we're nuts.

inexpensive,

Hey fellow homeschooler! I've only got two though, so I'm sure our experience is quite a bit different! Anyway, I agree with the advice you've already gotten... I love the pillowcases of princesses made into peasant tops! Also, several people have used the peasant dress pattern to make princess dresses out of cotton with the "feel" of the princesses (so like cinderella would have a different color blue sleeves and add two bits for a "peplum" to the skirt). You could use this same idea, but actually just make them into tops (so the "skirt" part of the peasant top would be from an empire waist). Does that make sense? Then you could do matching shorts from CarlaC's easyfit pattern for all 7 kiddos and for the boys you could make mickey head appliques from the fabric in the girls' sets so they all match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter