Disboutiquers Part 12 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have been lurking here for months. I am not creative nor "artisy" and even though my mom can sew anything in the world I never took the time to learn when she wanted to teach me. Therefore, the hardest thing I have ever made is curtains. But....you gals inspired me so.....I present my first ever outfit...(sorry it's blurry, she was so happy to pose that she WOULD NOT stand still).

104_2430.jpg

That is so cute!!! It should make you feel good to know that I am totally going to CASE that!

Question... Has anyone ever used or made an iron-on rhinestone transfer? I've seen them on ETSY and am thinking of ordering one for my Big Give shirt. I've seen some really cute ones and my DD9 said that if I'm doing a princess outfit for a 9 year old, I should go for bling rather than making an applique.

I think the 9 year old would love the rhinestones.

I have used them and the iron on studs a couple of times and I am not too crazy about them. I know that sounds a little silly...I guess you could say my daughter loves them and I don't. :rotfl: I haven't had much luck. About 1 out of 3 come off for me. Maybe my iron doesn't get hot enough? Not sure.... Maybe you will have better luck. I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on them just in case your disapointed with the result. I don't know if you can see but I used a butterfly on this one:

100_0550.jpg

As you can see, some are missing!! :scared1: :lmao:

Wow I need to not work when I know a move is imenent. I've been so busy I missed not only the move, but I'm on like page 7 or 8.

I have to get some serious sewing done this weekend. We are thinking of putting the house on the market, so I need to get some outfits finished before we do. I have a feeling I'm going to have to put the machine away more often when the house is on the market.

This weekend the absolutely must do is to finish Megan's Go Texas Dress for Friday. I also should start on her 2 Easter Outfits, but I might start on Disney instead.

Right now I have the following planned for our trip to DL and Southern California in May:

Knottsberry Farm - Snoopy Dress
Acquarium of the Pacific - Tropical Fish Skirt
Disney Outfits
#1 - Minnie Blue Polka Dot Skirt and White shirt with Patch
#2 - Casual Cotton Belle Dress
#3 - Buzz Lightyear Dress
#4 - Slightly undecided. I am thinking 101 Dalmations as she loves her Puppies, but I might do something else.

Of course I could always use some repeats from our WDW trip last October. I'll probably bring some as backups. We are planning on 4 days at DL.

wow. Everything here looks great. I am new to think sewing thing...just got my machine at christmas. Yesterday I made DH a pair of pj pants. That was an adventure.

I have a question. Is there a way to reuse a pattern but in a different size? I used the XL size for DH pants but need the large for myself, but if I cut the pattern down to large then I can't use it again for XL ,correct?

Just went out to Mary Jo's Cloth in Gastonia, NC. That was amazing. This is not a place to go if there is a budget you are trying to stick to. The store is about 35000 sq ft of fabric!:worship:

Holy crud, you go to the store buy fabric, make a few things bake a few dozen cookies and cup cakes and come back a day later there is a new thread with seven pages!

**edit.. I just made page 8! wahooo! haha **

Here are a few pics from our Feb trip.

This is the dress I made for my niece. This time, it's on her. And a dress I made a year or so ago for Aleah:
SANY0842.jpg

We're on the bus. This is the best pic I have of the fairy dress I made for Heidi. I also made the shorts outfit Colby is wearing (it's old) and the pirate dress my niece is wearing (old, too).
SANY0845.jpg

Tom Sawyer's Island. Aleah's Ariel dress is new. The others are from previous trips. The kids were not impressed with the island. Oh, well. We don't do it very often.
SANY0899.jpg

Eating at 1900 Park Fare. I made the Cinderella dresses the girls are wearing. (Again, old - from a previous trip.)
SANY0859.jpg

And my kids and I at AK wearing our matching black Mickey shirts. Our whole group wore them that day.
SANY0942.jpg
Even cuter on !

Okay, I have been lurking here for months. I am not creative nor "artisy" and even though my mom can sew anything in the world I never took the time to learn when she wanted to teach me. Therefore, the hardest thing I have ever made is curtains. But....you gals inspired me so.....I present my first ever outfit...(sorry it's blurry, she was so happy to pose that she WOULD NOT stand still).

104_2430.jpg
WOW that is your 1st one! Great job!

I've been thinking about reading that series, we love the HBO show. I read all 4 twilight books in about a week but I think I would like something a little more adult too.
READ THEM THEY ARE FAB! I suggest buying the set because you will breeze through them. I :love: the series too! i need to watch it again now that I have read the books. Warning the series is different from the books! VERY different but I look at it as an enhancement of the characters. I will say I do LOVE ERIC though OMG a big strong Viking! You need to get the books! Let me know if you do we can chat;)

Beth- :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I just know someday you will be able to kiss him goodnight without any fear!
:cloud9: Thank you so much Teresa. I am praying for that day to come soon!!!!

Thanks, I'll send you a PM about the buttons.
Thank you so much!!!! As soon as I finish my post here I will check it out.

I am so upset ...I told Crystal I do not the genetic make-up in me that allows you to say NO!!!!

I have a wedding dress, the mother of the bride dress to do , for some casual friends ...I AM NOT GETTING PAID FOR THIS...

I got a call that she needed the wedding invitations too, which I thought were something simple...

I got another call today (after I spoke to you Crystal!!!) and they are coming to my apt tomorrow to discuss designs and how she wants them to be , by what she told me on the phone, this was my reaction:scared1: :scared1: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

I told them I was not an expert , I've never done something so elaborated and had no idea what to do, her reply: " you always say that but I know you will do something beautiful...":sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

I do not even know how to begin, what to do, what design, what materials, and to top it all ....do they expect me to come out with everything ? I really hate myself sometimes!!!!

so if any of you have made wedding invitations , or know of aa website that I can look at for ideas, where to get the material cheap (I am really hoping I do not have to pay for all !!!!) please let me know...
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sorry for the "yelling" but I am about to have a heart attack

Linnette:snooty:
Oh Linnette, you are so nice that I hate to see people take advantage of you. I know sometimes it is hard to tell others no, especially friends (I have some of that same problem) but sometimes you just have to for your own sanity. You are a true sweetheart and I don't want you stressing out!!! Major hugs to you.....:hug: :hug: :hug:

I told her to give her my number and I'll give her a quote for the dress and the invitations.:lmao:Linnette and I talked a little while after she made the post and she has decided to make an invitation so ugly that there is no way the woman will want her to do the rest.:rotfl2:I know, I'm sorry, I can be mean like that.:rotfl2:
:rotfl2: Linnette could not possibly make anything UGLY....for that you might need me to help....LOL. :rotfl2:

sorry I have been kind of absent this week. I feel very unfocused and distracted this week with crazy stuff..... Anywho, I did manage to finish a cute little zoo dress!!! I do have 3 more that are soooo close to being done... have to finish those today

IMG_7945.jpg
That turned out really cute!

I think the 9 year old would love the rhinestones.

I have used them and the iron on studs a couple of times and I am not too crazy about them. I know that sounds a little silly...I guess you could say my daughter loves them and I don't. :rotfl: I haven't had much luck. About 1 out of 3 come off for me. Maybe my iron doesn't get hot enough? Not sure.... Maybe you will have better luck. I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on them just in case your disapointed with the result. I don't know if you can see but I used a butterfly on this one:

th_100_0550.jpg

As you can see, some are missing!! :scared1: :lmao:

Thanks for the advice. Do they fall off as she wears/washes them or is it that they don't stick in the first place? BTW, the dress is really cute!

wow. Everything here looks great. I am new to think sewing thing...just got my machine at christmas. Yesterday I made DH a pair of pj pants. That was an adventure.

I have a question. Is there a way to reuse a pattern but in a different size? I used the XL size for DH pants but need the large for myself, but if I cut the pattern down to large then I can't use it again for XL ,correct?

Just went out to Mary Jo's Cloth in Gastonia, NC. That was amazing. This is not a place to go if there is a budget you are trying to stick to. The store is about 35000 sq ft of fabric!:worship:

Wow, that fabric store sounds awesome. I am somethimes able to fold the pattern as such to be able to use multiple sizes. Good luck and post some pics so we can see what you are up to.

READ THEM THEY ARE FAB! I suggest buying the set because you will breeze through them. I :love: the series too! i need to watch it again now that I have read the books. Warning the series is different from the books! VERY different but I look at it as an enhancement of the characters. I will say I do LOVE ERIC though OMG a big strong Viking! You need to get the books! Let me know if you do we can chat;)

Sounds good! I wonder if they sell the series at Sams Club? I heard that the vamp from the club has a much larger role in the books and that he will be more of a major character in the next season on HBO.

Hi! My name is Kelly and I've been lurking on your thread for quite a while. My mom sewed when I was a little girl and I would dabble with the sewing machine, but nothing major. Your thread inspired me to make first day of school outfits for my kids this past year. I have an almost 7 y/o little boy and an almost 5 y/o little girl. They've never been to Disney World, but someday we'll get there. I'm a dispatcher at a police department and we dispatch police, fire, and ambulance. I've been reading your stuff for so long that I feel like I know you. Is it ok if I post the stuff I've made even though it's not Disney?
Welcome...and YES please post whatever you have made, they don't have to be Disney related!!!

Okay so I made page number 2!!

I wanted to post the pics of the top I made with the Hannah Montana fabric. The skirt is in these too. I just have to say that my daughter is a complete HAM and I need to get her on stage somewhere. She would LOVE it. I had to tell her I had enough pictures because she just kept posing!!!

100_0626.jpg

I forgot to mention that the bodice came out a bit short. I used the pattern from one of the peasant dresses and added bell sleeves. She will just have to wear an undershirt. She didn't mind at all, she said she looks llike Jasmine!!

Oh, and just for the record, the flannel backed satin worked great. I can't wait to go and buy some of the purple tinkerbell. I don't think it ended up looking like pajamas at all. What do you think? :
Your DD is just a little cutie-pie....sweet outfit too!

Hi all! My name is Shannon. I have been following this thread for quite awhile now and have read all 11 threads. I LOVE what you guys have created! We are planning our first trip to WDW, along with a day in Sea World, and I am planning on making an outfit for each of my children for each day. There are four of them - and I haven't sewn any clothing up to this point since over five years ago. But what can I say - I'm a dreamer :) Hope you guys don't mind an inexperienced sewer joining... or one that hasn't been to Disney since I was a year or two old :)

Oh - and Heather - I have FINALLY posted :)
Welcome!!!! Looking forward to seeing what you make!!!

My niece's birthday is in March. They went with us to Disney. I surprised her by making a Minnie Mouse dress and giving it to her on the trip. My DD's wouldn't try it on, so DS was chosen. He really got into posing. Here's the dress:
PinkMinnie1.jpg

Back of dress:
PinkMinnie4.jpg

Don't tell DH I took these AND posted them!
That dress is adorable!!! Your son is too funny.

Here are a few more things . . .

First up Blue Belle. This is actually the 2009 version. I took the apron off last years dress and then constructed a new blue dress. My DD outgrew last years but Belle is still her favorite.

new011.jpg

The picture is awful but I wanted to show the piping. I have a thing about always finishing bodices with piping or ric rac etc . . .

new012.jpg

Next is my DD tank for the Pirate Cruise. She has a small crush on Capt. Jack which drives my DH crazy. LOL The applique is awful. I am having sewing machine issues and lots of thread breakage. I really have loved the cuties lately.

new004.jpg
new006.jpg

Next, is Minnie cutie. Jessica made a Minnie cutie shirt but I am not sure if we used the same clip art. I know that the night she posted her shirt I had found the Capt Jack and Minnie clip art. I made these to go with the Pop skirts as another back up.

new002.jpg
new003.jpg

Finally, We Scare Because We Care! This is my DD's skirt from last year. She said she liked her skirt from last year and wanted to wear it again. I just made the tank and ironed ;) the skirt!

new008.jpg
new009.jpg
Ohh I LOVE all of these.....that pirate one is awsome and I love the pink Minnie. I am working on a Minnie outfit for the LittleWarrier Big Give and was looking at that same cutie...not sure how I will do it just yet. :confused3

Hey, everyone!!! I'm so excited!!! Mandy just posted that Becca was giggling this morning!!!!

Come on Becca!!! :
:cloud9: Yeah!!! Great news!!!!

We're on the bus. This is the best pic I have of the fairy dress I made for Heidi. I also made the shorts outfit Colby is wearing (it's old) and the pirate dress my niece is wearing (old, too).
SANY0845.jpg

And my kids and I at AK wearing our matching black Mickey shirts. Our whole group wore them that day.
SANY0942.jpg
Wow everything looks amazing, I really love those AK shirts though!!

I didn't know we moved because I was starting my new trip report!!

Leaving the Disney-Hater at Home: A Dorky Disboutiquing Diser Sista Trip Report

Please don't leave me all alone over there. Come and read!
:banana: Yeah, looking forward to reading that soon!!

104_2430.jpg
OMGosh I LOVE this outfit!!!! I wanna CASE you too....it looks amazing!!!!

You guys are sweet. Yes, it really is my first outfit...but it took me all weekend to make it. DH kept saying is that the same Minnie Mouse outfit you were working on before?:rotfl2:

The first time I cut out the top and put the applique on it the shirt was all polka dotted and you couldn't see the bow. This resulted in DS (7) asking "why are you making Catie a batman shirt?":confused3 So, I spent the next 3 hours trying to figure out how to cut the top in thirds and add the white. After that I had to cut out a 2nd Minnie head and re-applique that.

Then I tried to make pants and failed miserably so I decided to take a pair of her jeans that had a hole in them and put a minnie head over the hole (this makes three) - this time all polka dots. That was the end of day 2.

Day 3 I spent 2 hours trying to make the right size button holes before I tried it on the shirt. One of them is good and one is a little tight, but I figure she really only needs to unbutton one to get it on and off. The ruffle took another 3 or 4 hours to accomplish. once that was on, I decided the minnie head would have looked much better black with the polka dot bow...so, minnie head #4 gets cut out and appliqued.

Today, I finally found and glued the ric rac (sp) on the bottom. So...yes it is my first but it has LOTS of trial and error in it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the sweet comments...you guys certainly know how to make a gal feel great!!:goodvibes
See how much fun sewing can be??? LOL...:rotfl2: You are dedictated and it shows!!!! I love the way it turned out. All that hard work paid off!!

ok, so I have been a tad distracted lately... have not gotten as much done the last few weeks and have not been able to stop in... but here is my latest cute little dress. Love the Zoo animals on it!!
th_IMG_7945.jpg

Lori

This is so cute! I love that fabric!

Here are a few more things . . .

First up Blue Belle. This is actually the 2009 version. I took the apron off last years dress and then constructed a new blue dress. My DD outgrew last years but Belle is still her favorite.

th_new011.jpg

The picture is awful but I wanted to show the piping. I have a thing about always finishing bodices with piping or ric rac etc . . .

th_new012.jpg

Next is my DD tank for the Pirate Cruise. She has a small crush on Capt. Jack which drives my DH crazy. LOL The applique is awful. I am having sewing machine issues and lots of thread breakage. I really have loved the cuties lately.

th_new004.jpg
th_new006.jpg

Next, is Minnie cutie. Jessica made a Minnie cutie shirt but I am not sure if we used the same clip art. I know that the night she posted her shirt I had found the Capt Jack and Minnie clip art. I made these to go with the Pop skirts as another back up.

th_new002.jpg
th_new003.jpg

Finally, We Scare Because We Care! This is my DD's skirt from last year. She said she liked her skirt from last year and wanted to wear it again. I just made the tank and ironed ;) the skirt!

th_new008.jpg
th_new009.jpg

They are all great! I love the monsters outfit. Is that the alice dress she never got to wear last year? I like what you have done to it! Those appliques are awesome!

My niece's birthday is in March. They went with us to Disney. I surprised her by making a Minnie Mouse dress and giving it to her on the trip. My DD's wouldn't try it on, so DS was chosen. He really got into posing. Here's the dress:
th_PinkMinnie1.jpg

Don't tell DH I took these AND posted them!

That is really cute, but your dh better never see those pics! Poor kid! Of course they make good bribery pictures when he is a teenager!

This is the dress I made for my niece. This time, it's on her. And a dress I made a year or so ago for Aleah:
th_SANY0842.jpg

th_SANY0845.jpg

Tom Sawyer's Island. Aleah's Ariel dress is new. The others are from previous trips. The kids were not impressed with the island. Oh, well. We don't do it very often.
th_SANY0899.jpg

Eating at 1900 Park Fare. I made the Cinderella dresses the girls are wearing. (Again, old - from a previous trip.)
th_SANY0859.jpg

th_SANY0942.jpg

They look so cute wearing all the customs together! My kids don't care for Tom Sawyer's Island either. And love the tye dye shirts...we have very bright matching ones too.

th_104_2430.jpg

Wow! Your first outfit! That is awesome. I have been really sewing for about 8 months and just did my first applique!

MARY JO'S is the bomb! HEHE... I was there 2 weeks ago and bought way too much. I so want to go back. Soon. Where are you in Charlotte? I am just outside in Harrisburg...(near Concord).

As far as reusing patterns. I trace patterns onto sew interfacing. It lasts forever and I can use it over and over. Sometimes I can fold the pattern in on itself but that doesn't alway work.

Today was the Clara Schumann report at school...

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02971.jpg

Auntie surprised her with a matching dress for her doll.

DSC02975.jpg

She was a little nervous but she did her report really well.

After this Sierra shared her Auntie for share time. I promised Auntie I would not post pictures of her.:rolleyes1

Anyway, Auntie showed the kids some patterns and clothes in the process of being finished. Then she showed them a crayon roll up that was just pinned and asked them to guess what it was. When she showed them a finished crayon roll-up they all went ohhhhhh. Then one of the kids figured out that it was in there classroom colors. Each classroom is named after a different college. This year Sierra attends Stanislaus State. Once they saw it was Warrior colors they got all excited. Auntie told them she stayed up until 1:30 making them but only got 12 done. Sierra will be bringing all 20 to class on Monday. One of the kids even said, "there are 20 of us in the class."

They had all kinds of sewing questions for Auntie. Then they started asking where she lived and how big was her house.

It was a great day. Sierra felt so special to have her Auntie. I think her Auntie felt so special to be so loved. :love:

Have you really only been sewing for a year and a half? Wow!!

Almost 2 years, I guess. ;) I started in June of 2007.

You and 2CuteKids, makes me sick that she has only been sewing a year. She also makes some beautiful things.

Awww...thanks!! :flower3:

I think this deserves a trip down memory lane...here's my first top I made.

IMG_1454.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg

And my latest (which I've already posted ;) )

IMG_3866-1.jpg
IMG_3828.jpg

Anyone else want to post their first sewing project?

ok, so I have been a tad distracted lately... have not gotten as much done the last few weeks and have not been able to stop in... but here is my latest cute little dress. Love the Zoo animals on it!!
th_IMG_7945.jpg

Lori

That fabric is adorable!!!

I am going to get the amy butler weekender bag pattern and was thinking of doing one in a disney fabric. Anyone have any ideas? I haven't been on here or sewing in so long I don't really know what fabrics are out there. It will be for me so not too kiddy. I think I remember seeing a dot fabric with minnie and mickey. Anyone know where I can get that? I have all the major fabric stores around me.
Thanks!

Crystal

Leslie-Did you use the Geske pattern to make the Caterpillar dress? It is very cute. It makes me sad that Jenna is too old for the Caterpillar.

I love the post your first project game! Mine is boring though and was either Elmo or his Fall overalls. I did them both at the same time. But come on others, post your first project ever! It is also fun to see how the kids grew!

My first sewing projects in 15 years were these two years ago. I took 5 years of HomeEC in school.
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg

I made three sets for some other people and didn't touch the machines until last week when I made the Disney customs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter