Disboutiquers Part 10 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask a dumb question? Do you sew the x after the back is on? If not, what is the point of the x? I am planning on doing one and I need to know! Thanks in advance.

The quilts are so nice! I love seeing everyone's work.

You make the square sandwiches and sew the X to hold them together. Then you sew all the squares together, keeping the seams all on one side. Clip the seams to make them fray when washed and dried. There are some free patterns online, let me know if you need help finding one. I had a free pattern from Hancock fabrics that I got in the store several years ago.

Also, I wash my fray quilts at the laundry mat for the first wash and dry so the lint doesn't clog up my washer and dryer.

You make the square sandwiches and sew the X to hold them together. Then you sew all the squares together, keeping the seams all on one side. Clip the seams to make them fray when washed and dried. There are some free patterns online, let me know if you need help finding one. I had a free pattern from Hancock fabrics that I got in the store several years ago.

Also, I wash my fray quilts at the laundry mat for the first wash and dry so the lint doesn't clog up my washer and dryer.

I see! I looked at that link Leslie posted the first time I saw one of her cute quilts and didn't get that they were sandwiches. Doh!

Thanks Jen and Leslie! And thanks for the tip about washing for the first time!

Jen is right about the lint!! We have lint catcher on our washing machine so it doesn't clog the drain. When you are drying the quilt make sure the lint trap is clean, and empty it half way though the drying cycle. I washed my frst one twice - there was still a bit of lint during the second cycle!

Steph - the directions I posted didn't mention anything about making the X through the squares I did that on my own.

Hi all! sorry to burst in here but was wondering if anyone knew where i could pick up the little bling crystals. I think it was here that I first saw the Converse high tops with the crystals on the toe part. I would like to make a pair for my daughter for the holidays and unfortunately am running late as usual, so don't have time to order the crystals on line. so would looking in a JoAnn's, Micheals or Crafts n Stuff be my best bet? I have get ribbon for the laces so I'm hoping that they have them at JoAnns.

You all really inspire me! I love looking at this thread and hope to purchase a new sewing machine next year, because the one I have now hates me and refuses to work.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all! sorry to burst in here but was wondering if anyone knew where i could pick up the little bling crystals. I think it was here that I first saw the Converse high tops with the crystals on the toe part. I would like to make a pair for my daughter for the holidays and unfortunately am running late as usual, so don't have time to order the crystals on line. so would looking in a JoAnn's, Micheals or Crafts n Stuff be my best bet? I have get ribbon for the laces so I'm hoping that they have them at JoAnns.

You all really inspire me! I love looking at this thread and hope to purchase a new sewing machine next year, because the one I have now hates me and refuses to work.

Thanks in advance!

JoAnn's and Michaels will both have them!!!

Love your banner btw! It's super cute.

We are supposed to get snow tonight. I hope it's a lot and that it sticks. I know that this will not happen though. Just wishful thinking I suppose.

We are south of Houston in Friendswood, and we got some snow this evening. Everyone was so excited, especially the kids...our kids were out, so was our neighbor's kids and they were making snow balls with whatever little bit of snow that we had. Supposed to snow some more tonight..we will see what it's like in the morning. THis is like a treat to our area!!

My darling dd has just informed me she wants a "Grinch to snuggle with" for Christmas. (she LOVES the Jim Carrey movie) Anyone have any ideas on making one? I doubt there would be a pattern. I was thinking a stuffed body and I could make the head with the same idea I used for the applique last year. Any suggestions for a fabric?

My darling dd has just informed me she wants a "Grinch to snuggle with" for Christmas. (she LOVES the Jim Carrey movie) Anyone have any ideas on making one? I doubt there would be a pattern. I was thinking a stuffed body and I could make the head with the same idea I used for the applique last year. Any suggestions for a fabric?

Um no suggestions on how to MAKE one but Hallmark sells a small stuffed Grinch. It's probably about a foot tall. I got one for Aisling to wrap up with the tickets for the Musical.

I have a Christmas Dress disaster on my hands! I bought a gorgeous Strasburg last year at the end of the season for AbbyGrace to wear this year. I've been planning all year for her to wear it the Sunday before Christmas. I went and picked up her specially ordered bow headband to match today. So, I put the whole thing on her tonight, and the dress is too long! I know that these dresses run long, and I would generally want it to be longer than a normal dress. But it is probably an inch above her ankles. SOOO... what's a mom to do? Do I just have her wear it anyway, and count myself lucky that I'll get two years of wear out of it? Or do I need to find another dress?

I have a Christmas Dress disaster on my hands! I bought a gorgeous Strasburg last year at the end of the season for AbbyGrace to wear this year. I've been planning all year for her to wear it the Sunday before Christmas. I went and picked up her specially ordered bow headband to match today. So, I put the whole thing on her tonight, and the dress is too long! I know that these dresses run long, and I would generally want it to be longer than a normal dress. But it is probably an inch above her ankles. SOOO... what's a mom to do? Do I just have her wear it anyway, and count myself lucky that I'll get two years of wear out of it? Or do I need to find another dress?

Can you put a petti under it? That may "shorten" it enough. Is a hem possible? I like the "longer look personally I usually dress Morgan in longer skirts.

I am thinking I better start preparing for a christmas trip to disney before I am caught off guard without customs. So, any ideas for Dallas? Lin and I?

I figure I could do Lin and I Mickey and Minnie heads with santa hats but looking for something more entertaining for Dallas.

I also need one more idea for another day, 2 outfits is probably enough.

All of this talk about rag quilts reminded me of the one I did last year for my sister for Christmas. I did a black and pink one, which are the colors of her daughters' dance school. I finished it Christmas Day on the way to our family gathering so I don't have pics of the finished product. I did take pics of the blanket all layed out after I figured out the pattern. Here it is:

DSC07322.jpg

DSC07323.jpg

Can you put a petti under it? That may "shorten" it enough. Is a hem possible? I like the "longer look personally I usually dress Morgan in longer skirts.

I thought about hemming, but it has an underskirt and a layer of crinlin (sp?) so I'd have to shorten all 3 layers. I don't think that I want to do that because then it'd be difficult when I needed to let it out. Since it already has a poof layer, I'm not sure about a petti... though I'm certainly willing to give it a shot at this point!

I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Shannon I would try the petti. Is it something that you think you can get away with her wearing at that length? Sounds like a lot of work to hem it all. :(

I got somethign to share with the group YEAH!!! I did not do them myself but had them ordered at the ribbon store. I am betting it is where Revrob picked up a bow today lol.

121008019.jpg

121008022-1.jpg

She of course has the really obnoxious bow to match. :D

Finally you gymbo ladies do you ever use the snap barretts to make bows out of? I took mine to the ribbon shop to get some made and she was going to just snap the tops off for centers and we figured out there is more to it than that. They are screwed AND glued in. Has anyone ever popped the tops off these? And if so how did you manage to do it?

Hi Guys,

PRAYERS NEEDED!!!!!

My DH's cousin's 11 year old son was just admitted to the PICU at duPont Hospital for children. He went to the Dr for severe headaches this afternoon - the Dr didnt like the look of his pupils, sent him for an MRI or a CATscan and they saw some type of mass on his brain - so they admitted him immediately. Tomorrow am they will do which ever scan they didnt do tonight. Ugh, Im afraid to think of what this may be. I work at this hospital, so kind of know what they could possibly be looking at.......

Thanks Friends, Wendy:sad1:

Hi Guys,

PRAYERS NEEDED!!!!!

My DH's cousin's 11 year old son was just admitted to the PICU at duPont Hospital for children. He went to the Dr for severe headaches this afternoon - the Dr didnt like the look of his pupils, sent him for an MRI or a CATscan and they saw some type of mass on his brain - so they admitted him immediately. Tomorrow am they will do which ever scan they didnt do tonight. Ugh, Im afraid to think of what this may be. I work at this hospital, so kind of know what they could possibly be looking at.......

Oh, how terrible! And at this time of year, no less. I will be praying for him, his family and you, too. Please keep us updated.

Chantell

Wendy - Prayers given

We have had a nice surprise for Houston today. Snow. Of course it made my drive home a nightmare tonight, but we have a beautiful dusting of snow across the front and backyards. Its still snowing right now.

I was working on the nightgown I am making for my neice and realized I am an idiot. I cut one of the sleeves out on the wrong side of the fabric, so it won't sew in properly. Of course I had already spent time putting the stupid elastic in the wrist and I already cut the pattern down a size to make one for my DD. So I'm going to have to rip all the seams out so I can use the material to recut the sleeve with the right side facing. Ugh! Just what I didn't have time for.

The good news is the Disney World Photobook is finished and ordered, so that is one less thing on my plate. I also finished my first batch of Christmas cookies for a party tomorrow at work. 2 projects down only 334 or so to go (slight exageration, but it doesn't feel like it)

Minnie2 - I'm loving yur quilts! Your brothers and parents are going to love them! I just took pictures of the one I just finished. DD actually asked to be in the picture - so you get 2 pictures of it! ;) I realized I forgot to attatch a row! I was wondering why it looked so short!

th_IMG_3374.jpg
That turned out so pretty!
No I was born in Louisiana. In fact I was born in the town where I currently live. I was raised in Las Vegas, Louisiana and Arkansas. I have only experienced snow once in my life and I loved every minute of it.

Heather lives in the town I was born in! They stopped birthin' babies at that hospital by the time she was born though!

It's hard for me to fathom someone wanting to move to the cold! But, I know you do, so I hope it happens for you someday!

I get so cold, I shiver all winter and my fingers are always freezing! Move somewhere that actually has some sun in the winter, I think that would help.

I just love all the quilts. Great work ladies.

Here is the redo of the jumper. I am happy that I cut it apart and did the redo. I have not done the topstitch yet as I don't know if I am going to or put something else. Suggestions?

th_frontjumper.jpg
It looks pretty good! I would add some trim or something around the waist.

I love everyone's trees, decorations, rag quilts, etc.! I've been lurking because I got my Christmas present out of the box and have been playing with my new embroidery machine all day :banana: :banana: :banana: It's going better than I'd thought--at least the using designs I bought online part. I had a difficult moment when it took me 30 minutes to figure out that my 4x4 hoop was NOT my 5x7 hoop and that is why my design did not want to fit. :laughing: It would also help if I had appropriate stabilizer. I bought some stuff at the quilt shop to use to trace my Farbenmix patterns on and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of stabilizer :confused3 :lmao: Luke loves the machine as much as I do. He likes to watch it. Okay, back to playing.

OoH, sounds like you are having fun jeanne!

Thanks in advance!

They sell them at Walmart too.

I second the petti, or just let her wear it long.

All of this talk about rag quilts reminded me of the one I did last year for my sister for Christmas. I did a black and pink one, which are the colors of her daughters' dance school. I finished it Christmas Day on the way to our family gathering so I don't have pics of the finished product. I did take pics of the blanket all layed out after I figured out the pattern. Here it is:

th_DSC07322.jpg
I love those colors! Too bad you didn't get a finished picture though!

Shannon I would try the petti. Is it something that you think you can get away with her wearing at that length? Sounds like a lot of work to hem it all. :(

I got somethign to share with the group YEAH!!! I did not do them myself but had them ordered at the ribbon store. I am betting it is where Revrob picked up a bow today lol.

th_121008019.jpg
She of course has the really obnoxious bow to match. :D

Finally you gymbo ladies do you ever use the snap barretts to make bows out of? I took mine to the ribbon shop to get some made and she was going to just snap the tops off for centers and we figured out there is more to it than that. They are screwed AND glued in. Has anyone ever popped the tops off these? And if so how did you manage to do it?

Oh! I just want to pick her up and hug her she's so cute!

Hi Guys,

PRAYERS NEEDED!!!!!

oh Wendy, I'm so sorry! I will be saying prayers for your cousin's son! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks Everyone for the Prayers - our family believes in the power of prayer, so keep 'em coming! Pray for Daniel's health, the doctors wisdom and DH and I's ability to be helpful and encouraging throughout what ever is to come.... DH is going to head up to the ICU tomorrow am after he drops me off for work.

You are such a great bunch of friends. Thank you for that.

Im going to try to go to sleep, but I just feel so sad - Daniel is such a funny kiddo - I dont know him as well as our cousin Sue's kids, but still, he is a sweetheart. He has 2 sisters (14 and 1) and 2 brothers who were adopted and have some special needs (7, 9).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter