• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointing dining experiences this trip!

We have FD because a RO offer wasn't available the week we wanted to book, so it's a good savings for us. We had a RO offer and paid OP for meals last trip and I definitely felt like most of the set price meals/buffets were way overpriced for what they were, but none were flat out terrible (Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Ohana). I'm nervous this trip because we have a Hollywood & Vine booked for Minnie's Holiday Dinner and I've never heard anything positive about that place. Just don't want to get sick at the start of our trip at the very least...

You guys are really turning me away from Chef Mickey's- I was thinking it would be a good experiance for my little one who loves Minnie and Mickey but now I'm thinking it is time for plan B

You guys are really turning me away from Chef Mickey's- I was thinking it would be a good experiance for my little one who loves Minnie and Mickey but now I'm thinking it is time for plan B

If you go to Chef Mickey's knowing it is a basic buffet, and just enjoy the atmosphere and characters, you will have a great time. It isn't fancy food, but it is edible.

If you go to Chef Mickey's knowing it is a basic buffet, and just enjoy the atmosphere and characters, you will have a great time. It isn't fancy food, but it is edible.
I agree. If you go in expecting what the pp said, you'll be fine. We just got back from a FD bounceback trip. Chef Mickey's was our daughters' #1 request. The food was as expected (salads were actually okay, better than the entrees, which were not great. Desserts were okay.) However, the character interaction for us was excellent. Some of the characters visited us twice and spent more than the usual time with us. So, for that alone, Chef Mickey's was worth it. I have an amazing picture of my daughter hugging Mickey with a look of pure joy on their faces. We had a great time. However, if we were paying OOP, I probably wouldn't repeat dinner. It was the most expensive meal out of the 9 dinners we had on our trip. If we went back, I would maybe do breakfast instead. Also, we had an early seating at 5:30 and the buffet was not picked over yet. Maybe that made a difference.

I am not a fan of Chef Mickey at all and of the opinion the food is among the worst in all of WDW. But with that said, I would still recommend taking your little ones; they certainly will have a great time with Mickey & Minnie. As for the food, I'm sure as most kids do, they will enjoy the Kraft quality mac & cheese, frozen cheese pizza and the chicken nuggets. What little kid don't love these things. Take your family and enjoy the kids while there. While the food may be forgettable, the memories of your children will last a lifetime for you. :goodvibes

You are right, it is basic buffet, the atmosphere and characters are enjoyable, and anyone with young children will have a great time. Your also right, the food isn't fancy at all. But the edible? There is a whole lot of that stuff at the buffet table I wouldn't even place in a bowl for my Chocolate Lab (not exaggerating). :rotfl2:

With all that's been said....
What are GOOD (fairly consistent) dining restaurants? I was planning 'Ohana for our first night since we do a 'resort day' our first day and don't go into the parks. I've never been to Downtown Disney. Staying at VGF. Also, we liked BOG for lunch when it first opened. But, now reading the reviews, I think something else might be a better option. Last time we enjoyed Boma and plan to do Sanaa (heard great things).
so, what are your faves?

Personally, I have never had high expectations regarding the food at Disney restaurants. It is definitely hit and miss. When you think that many of these restaurants have to serve more meals possibly than almost any restaurant on earth--and I mean that quite literally. Disney parks are the most popular theme parks on earth and the number of people served would push any kitchen to the limit. My reason for going back to a lot of the restaurants that I frequent is service and ambience. I've always been very lucky in this regard. Food is almost always hit and miss regarding quality--and I say this given my expectation for the higher prices you pay. A lot of the things I order have been good for the most part, but certainly not worth the price that you pay. As a previous poster indicated, even with "Free Dining"--it's really not free in that you have most likely given up an option for a discounted room in order to get the free dining or they have not even offered the discounted room. I'm sure the old adage that you never get anything for "free" certainly applies at Disney. That said, it's knowing this going in that's important. You've been lucky in having so many years of being satisfied and have an off year. I would say for me that every year I have some good and bad, but that's the way it is at such a popular place. And there are many reasons why I keep going back year after year. The food may not always be the best, but at least you eat in nice surroundings and are served by gracious people.

Please NOTE: These comments are my opinion and my opinion only. My two cents worth--take them for what they're worth.

Finally, I certainly hope this doesn't deter you from going to the happiest place on earth in future!

FREE?? You overpaid for a subpar hotel room. It's not free. If they called it what it is "dining package discount" would people still fall all over themselves to pay for it LOL!

Who's "falling all over themselves"? I'm a veteran of well over 20 WDW trips so I think I know how it works so no need to tell me I "overpaid for a sub par room". I'm well aware of the Beach Club, the rates and how free dining works. We choose to stay at the Beach Club because we love it there and the fact that they give us dining for free is great and it works out great for my family.

Save your condescending comments for someone else. I'm as much of a Disney expert as anyone and I don't need you to talk down to me as if you are the king of all Disney World knowledge. "LOL"

Jay

Well let's see:

Restaurant Marrekesh: great food and service!!
Kona Cafe for Breakfast: awesome Tonga Toast
Sanaa: best meal on property in my opinion
Ohana for dinner: MEH, the meat was tough.
BOG for lunch: not impressed.

FD would have been a huge savings for us! It was $800! We dropped the dining plan a few days ago, because we just don't need it. I would have loved to get it free. yes, FREE. $200 a night for a hotel at Disney is what I was willing to pay and that's what I got. Thankfully the room discount did come along and we were able to take advantage of that, but I was not expecting it.

Most consistent-not all up to the dining experiences I have had at big city (NYC, LA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago , D.C., Providence) real world establishments but in terms of Disney restaurants: Liberty Tree Tavern, Rose & Crown, Yak & Yeti, Flying Fish Café, Shula's, Artist Point, Yachtsman, Hollywood Brown Derby, Citricos, Jiko, The Wave, House of Blues

I have heard great things about The Boathouse at Disney Springs (formerly DTD)-we are trying it for the first time in March.

Last edited:
The only meals that stood out to us were Crystal Palace dinner, Tusker House breakfast (the only good breakfast buffet we had), Ohana dinner, and BoG breakfast. Honestly all of the other breakfasts we did were horrible. To the point that by the time we got to the princess breakfast in Nirwsy I just ate from the pastry bar. The sausage, eggs, and potato products all had a weird after taste that I hated. In the future we will probably do breakfast in our room.

We feel the same way as the majority. Many of the restaurants that we thought were great one year - we are disappointed another year. BUT, we haven't had anything awful and still enjoy planning and trying new restaurants or simply different menu items. We don't do buffets as much anymore, but the one year we didn't go to Ohana - my whole family was disappointed. So, we are going back!! Haven't been to Chef Mickeys in at least 6 years.

Like many others, the reports of Chef Mickeys being terrible makes me nervous.
Our ressie there is at 7am one morning (we are staying at BLT) so maybe I should find something else? I don't feel obligated to pay just to see the characters since we have other ADRs where they'll be. However, we are staying there and have never been.
Thoughts?
That day is our Epcot day but I wasn't able to get Akershus breakfast. Any other breakfast spots en route you recommend? Instead of CM? 2 parents and 3 kids 12,8,6.

We enjoyed Via Napoli this past August. We like the eggplant parm. I keep forgetting that it is served with whole small potatoes when I would prefer pasta, but we both like the dish!

FREE?? You overpaid for a subpar hotel room. It's not free. If they called it what it is "dining package discount" would people still fall all over themselves to pay for it LOL!

OMG Someone actually gets it! There's no such thing as "free" at Disney
Exactly!

There were articles written about the replacement at the time, controlling people isn't new. Disney does it everywhere as do other businesses. Ever wonder why restaurant tables are small? Fit more tables and cause the customer to move on and not hang out, table turns are a tracked part of the business. We get upset when the server doesn't clear the table, at some restaurants the servers are told to leave the dirty dishes by management, customers tend to not hang around with a table of dirty dishes. Loud music or conversation, another reason to eat and leave.

:earsboy: Bill

Interesting post - I disagree completely - but interesting none the less! Never have had the experience of the table not being cleared - and smaller chairs?? - Never noticed that either, and I've been around 'many' years!! Maybe it just appears that way as the patrons, in general, are larger than 20-30 years ago! Also, many, shall I say 'most' larger dining areas are loud with music or conversation (or both) wherever you many dine. :confused3

Have never been to CM's, but have been to Chrystal Palace several times for breakfast (of course I'm an Eeyore fan LOL) and dh & I both really enjoy the food. Your little one would probably love those characters. Lovable pooh, bouncey tigger, piglet and of course, moody eeyore are great for little ones (and bigger ones!!).
Could be a perfect 'Plan B' :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter