Disappointed

pixiedust23

DIS Veteran
I have been eating healthy and working out everyday (running b/w 3-5 miles) now for over a week. I have not lost a single pound. I don't notice any difference in the way my clothing fits. It's so discouraging to hear about people losing all this weight, and then getting no results. I know that I don't really have THAT much to lose: Trying to go from 118 to 110, but it still really stinks. I have started tracking my calories on fitday.com and I really only eat about 1000 calories/day. What am I doing wrong here?

Doesn't sound like you need to lose any weight....and maybe your body is toning up, which is a good thing. Muscle weighs more than fat....so you won't notice weight loss. Also, eat alot of little meals during the day....like 6 mini meals instead of 3 bigger ones. Hope it helps!

Hi

Possibly not enough calories. When your body thinks it is being starved it will slow down the metabolism and conserve any fat in the body. Most lo calories lifestyles don't go under 1200 calories per day.

Hope this helps.

Have a magical Disney Day!!::MickeyMo

Originally posted by chrismiss56
Hi

Possibly not enough calories. When your body thinks it is being starved it will slow down the metabolism and conserve any fat in the body. Most lo calories lifestyles don't go under 1200 calories per day.

Hope this helps.

Have a magical Disney Day!!::MickeyMo

That would be my diagnosis.

And with RUNNING 3-5 miles a day? You are probably at a SEVERE calorie defecit.

I realize I have low calories but I do eat 3 meals and day and have some fruit as snacks. I guess I could try and bump up my calories a bit... Haha and JetsFan I do have some wieght to lose. Not much maybe only like 5-10 pounds, but its here, just chillin on my hips, tummy, back, and butt. As a 5'2 118lb person who exercises daily (burning about 300-500 calories) what is the appropriate # of calories to be taking in? I read on some websites that 1000-1100 was the right number.

Pixi

Try weighing in once a month. Bodies tend to fluctuate wildly day to day and week to week, depending on menstral cycle, water retention and exercise. Stop weighing yourself and you may be surprised in a month how well your clothes fit, and maybe a loss on the scale. Don't get depressed, just eat healthy and exercise, the rest will take care of itself!

Keep the Faith!
Tracy

If you are that close to your goal weight, the weight will not come off quickly (i.e. in a week) The last few pounds are the toughest to lose. Sounds like you are used to that level of aerobic exercise if you are able to run every day. You will either have to increase your distance some or try intervals in order to challenge your body more. Do you do strength training? If you add in 30 minutes of lifting 3 times a week, it will probably help you more than just increasing cardio...give your body a shock to boost your metabolism some more.

I agree that 1000 calories is not a good idea. Your body needs more calories or your metabolism will slow. Eat at least 1500-1800 healthy calories in 200-300 calorie mini-meals...that will keep your body in digestive mode and your metabolism humming!

Good luck!

I'll try and increase my calories a little, but as for more time for cardio I really just don't have it. I work full time, have a new puppy, and I can't spend more time at the gym then I already do. As for weight training, I guess I could start lifting weights. Since I refuse to lift with my legs (they are solid muscle from all the running I do) I can't see myself spending an entire half an hour on just arms and back, but I guess I'll see what I can do. I used to do 3 sets of 10 reps of a variety of arm and back exercises but I just kind of gave up on that in May. I usually tend to focus my activities on cardio b/c I really dont understand how lifting weights with my arms is going to decrease my mid-section. I know the theory behind it, but....

Thanks for all the help!

Anotehr thing...

If you just started running, your body is probably storing extra water in fear that you may dehydrate. That should stabilize in another week or so.

I've basically been running on and off for the past 3 years. Usually a lot more on than off. But I hope that is the case. Maybe if I drank more water that would help too.

Drinking more water should also help. Most of us ar eon the verge of dehydration. If you do not drink enough water, your body will retain more. Hang in there!

First of all, like the others said increase your calories. Your metabolism is probably super slow. You can add additional fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains and/or lean meat to your diet. You need to add another snack and probably have something like cheese/yogurt and/or something whole grain along with fruit. You could also start drinking green tea to help boost your metabolism.

Instead of running 7 days a week, add at least two days of strength training instead of running. My gym offers a weight lifting class (Body Pump) that I take because I hate lifting free weights though you might like it if you like running on a treadmill. Lifting weights helps you lose weight because your body will burn more calories when resting.

At 5'2" 118 pounds is probably pretty good if you have a lot of muscle. Just because a chart or someone else says you should weigh less that doesn't necessarily mean it's so. If your gym offers it, get your body fat composition tested. That is more meaningful. If you want to lose weight in your stomach, do ab work. The weight lifting will help and some gyms offer short 20-30 minutes ab training classes. There are also videos that concentrate on this area. If you eat lots of sugar and white flour products, some people carry more weight in their midsection. If the spot training doesn't work, try that.

Thanks Sherri. I've been tracking my calories on fitday.com and I never thought I would have issues trying to add more calories into my diet. I am working on that. I do eat cheese every other day as a snack, so I guess I'll keep doing that. As for the green tea well...I know about all the great benefits of green tea. I used to do research that was showing the same proflavin that increases your metabolism also decreases the ability for some brain cancer to spread further into your brain. HOWEVER! What most people don't know is that if you drink processed green tea, we in the US tend to process out all of that good protein (EGCG). I have never been able to gain a taste for the real green tea, but maybe I should start taking some supplements.

I think I"ll continue with my running regimine and just add in some weight trainging as well. HAHA and yes I do like doing weights on my own time using the weight machines. (I don't run on the treadmill b/c I have incredibly bad knees and ankles, so I run on the eliptical machine, same basic idea, just no impact)

I am not overweight by any means, but man I would sure love to be super toned and back into a size 2 instead of a 4-6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter