• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed...

cbeeindisney

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We just returned early this morning from a very long drive back to NJ from POR. Looking at my bought merchandise, wrapped in my Disney blanket and drinking from my "Chip" mug reminiscing and depressed! This was our honeymoon and I have to say that our two weeks that we were there, were the best two weeks ever! We loved every minute and we can't wait to plan our next trip! We have been several times together and have been completely immersed in the magic that is Disney World each time.

This time, however, was a bit different in that we noticed the amount of rude park goers has increased. DH and I, both having worked years in customer service before, always try to go above and beyond to be friendly and pleasant to those in customer service and we feel embarrassed and almost offended when others are so blatantly rude to CMs. On this trip we have seen a mother yell at a CM because her party was "separated" on BTMR (separated as in riding right behind her son and husband), a husband and wife wanting to get a CM working at Via Napoli fired because their appetizer came out at the exact time as their entree and having to hear about how terrible the service was during our entire meal (just so you know, the service was excellent and our poor waitress, Chiara, was wonderful in how she handled these rude people). They sent the appetizer back, refusing to eat it and waiting until the end of the meal to report this to the manager in hopes of having her job. Isn't that what everyone hopes to do on their vacation...get someone fired?! We watched a woman yell at a CM on TSMM and call her nasty because they were not seated fast enough on the ride as the CM was trying to figure out their party and seat requirements and needs. Some examples seem small enough, but day after day of seeing people with short fuses on vacation was disheartening. I understand that it is in the dead heat of summer and the lines are long and it's hot, believe me, I got it, but these people are working to please you, help you, and also 605,000 other people in that day alone. I can imagine they are just as hot and tired as well. Give them a bit of a break. "Thank you," "please," and "have a great day," are great places to start. As a kindergarten teacher, I can attest that I am still teaching these manners, however, somewhere along the way, many have forgotten these basic skills in social interactions.

While we felt that we have seen our share of rude guests, we have been so overwhelmingly pleased with the professionalism of the CMs. I have to give them so much credit and I appreciate every waiter, waitress and CM that helped make our honeymoon magical! :flower3:

End of rant.

One fond memory many years ago happened while waiting for SpectroMagic. We always watched at the end of the parade rout where people crossed to get to Splash and BTMRR. Some of us were there pretty early others joined later and jockeyed for position. The CM controlling that area started a game naming the one word Disney movies. The Aristocrats didn't work. Pixar films didn't qualify.

Her simple engagement settled down the crowd.

Yes, CMs don't get enough credit or thanks especially for what many of them put up with and what they get paid. I have commented to and complimented CMs who have had unnecessary run ins with guests. I'll shake my head for awhile and move on to something else. I don't know if the CMs can do it so easily.

Hi all! We just returned early this morning from a very long drive back to NJ from POR. Looking at my bought merchandise, wrapped in my Disney blanket and drinking from my "Chip" mug reminiscing and depressed! This was our honeymoon and I have to say that our two weeks that we were there, were the best two weeks ever! We loved every minute and we can't wait to plan our next trip! We have been several times together and have been completely immersed in the magic that is Disney World each time.

This time, however, was a bit different in that we noticed the amount of rude park goers has increased. DH and I, both having worked years in customer service before, always try to go above and beyond to be friendly and pleasant to those in customer service and we feel embarrassed and almost offended when others are so blatantly rude to CMs. On this trip we have seen a mother yell at a CM because her party was "separated" on BTMR (separated as in riding right behind her son and husband), a husband and wife wanting to get a CM working at Via Napoli fired because their appetizer came out at the exact time as their entree and having to hear about how terrible the service was during our entire meal (just so you know, the service was excellent and our poor waitress, Chiara, was wonderful in how she handled these rude people). They sent the appetizer back, refusing to eat it and waiting until the end of the meal to report this to the manager in hopes of having her job. Isn't that what everyone hopes to do on their vacation...get someone fired?! We watched a woman yell at a CM on TSMM and call her nasty because they were not seated fast enough on the ride as the CM was trying to figure out their party and seat requirements and needs. Some examples seem small enough, but day after day of seeing people with short fuses on vacation was disheartening. I understand that it is in the dead heat of summer and the lines are long and it's hot, believe me, I got it, but these people are working to please you, help you, and also 605,000 other people in that day alone. I can imagine they are just as hot and tired as well. Give them a bit of a break. "Thank you," "please," and "have a great day," are great places to start. As a kindergarten teacher, I can attest that I am still teaching these manners, however, somewhere along the way, many have forgotten these basic skills in social interactions.

While we felt that we have seen our share of rude guests, we have been so overwhelmingly pleased with the professionalism of the CMs. I have to give them so much credit and I appreciate every waiter, waitress and CM that helped make our honeymoon magical! :flower3:

End of rant.
Congratulations on getting married, here's to many years of Disney vacations together!

CMs are wonderful! I wish it could be blamed on summer and on heat, but there are just some people out there so entitled that they actually do think the world revolves around them. I'm sure they're just as "pleasant" in their everyday lives. My husband is a manager at a theater and works with customers all the time - every night he comes home from work, he has a different story about someone who had an issue.

For example - he had to kick out two teenage girls this week for sneaking into a different auditorium and he didn't give them a refund. The mom came to pick them up and chewed him out because he wouldn't give their money back - what part of "kicked out" could she not understand? He finally asked her - If you get kicked out of a concert, do they give you your money back? No. If you get kicked out of a sporting event, do you get your money back? No. So what part of "actions have consequences" are you not getting here? They got a warning, they ignored it, they broke the rules, they got kicked out.

I admired his restraint - I would have thrown in something about special little snowflakes and entitled and enabling parents, but that's just me ;-).

I'm sure that family is just a treat for CMs if they ever go to Disney.

Congratulations on your marriage and glad to hear you had a great time at DW! I currently work a customer service job so I know what they are going through! I'm sorry those guests were so rude that they try and get someone fired! that's just plain dumb! I work at a LARGE retail institution as a cashier and BOY do I get it! my motto is to treat everyone the way you wish to be treated! everyone has a bad day but they don't have to take it out on YOU! glad to hear that the CM's took it with a grain of salt.

Congratulations on your marriage and glad to hear you had a great time at DW! I currently work a customer service job so I know what they are going through! I'm sorry those guests were so rude that they try and get someone fired! that's just plain dumb! I work at a LARGE retail institution as a cashier and BOY do I get it! my motto is to treat everyone the way you wish to be treated! everyone has a bad day but they don't have to take it out on YOU! glad to hear that the CM's took it with a grain of salt.

Thank you very much! I'm glad too, I feel bad for all they have to go through! All we can do is be as pleasant as possible!

Congrats on your marriage and disneymoon!! I'm sorry some rude guests were around for it though!

It is amazing what some people do and expect for their vacations somehow forgetting that other people are on vacation too, very oftentimes celebrating a special event. I just try to kill them with kindness or pull a "bless your heart" line. Works every time. ;)

Wow! I just can't understand how some people feel so entitled. I'm sorry the CMs had to endure such things. On the other hand, I'm sure your being kind helped Chiara.

As a past CM who got yelled at all the time, we are use to it. I got yelled at because another CM told a family that EPCOT did their 4th of July fireworks on both the 3rd and and 4th, and only the MK does that. I ruined their whole trip because someone else gave them the wrong information. That makes perfect sense right? Or my favorite I loved when people told me that I ruined their vacation because I told them they would have to stand in line. Unfortunately most guests think because they spent thousands of dollars on their trip that they should get special treatment, and they don't understand that everyone else has spent the same amount of money. Most of the time we know it really isn't directed at us and most of use just laugh it off and have funny stories to tell our fellow CMs.

First; Congratulations:)
I see it more and more on a daily basis where people think they are "entitled" and want immediate gratification. Being rude to CMs or complaining because the walk is to long from a bus stop or at a resort. I hate to say it but people are becoming more lazy and rude.

Congratulations!!! We just returned from a wonderful week at WDW! We ate at Tutto Gusto on our first of 2 EPCOT nights. We were served right away and never waited more than a few moments for our app or fresh water or our drinks! It was such an amazing experience, we decided to try it again a few nights later. The first thing we noticed - fewer wait staff. The second thing we noticed - we waited a lot longer for water, apps and drinks. But the most important thing we noted those wait staff ran off their feet! They tried so hard to get to the tables, to answer questions, to explain the menu! They did their best and we so felt for them! We watched frustration build - one table stopped the server every time she was in the area and they did not hide their frustration. She was on the verge of tears! A little patience goes a long way!

I'm heading down for a solo trip in a month, and one of my personal goals is to interact with as many people as possible in a friendly and magical way. That means CM's too. I know the nicer a person is, the better time can be had and it's not just for that one person. Kindness, happiness and smiles are contagious. Of course it's second nature for someone as extroverted as me, never met a stranger in my life. The thing I try to keep in mind is, everyone's having their own sort of day. Maybe they're hot, maybe they have blisters, maybe they're hungry or disappointed or whatever. Random acts of kindness can turn even the nastiest person around. I work as a telephone customer service agent for one of the largest online freelancer websites in the world, and I hear complaints all day long....no one ever calls the support line to compliment us....and I am proud of my service recovery skills. I never let go of that. I don't want to see other people having a bad day, but I'm going to make sure I do what I can to improve it. Maybe that's minding my own beeswax and walking away, or maybe it's singing and dancing with Goofy for the kids in the line with us. Who knows. All I can do is try!

The CM's are amazing and underpaid and overworked, and they still manage to do what needs done. Hats off to them!

People feel so entitled nowadays. When I see rude guests I try to block them out. If I see someone get rude to an employee anywhere for reasons I feel unfair I try to cheer them up or let their manager or supervisor know they are doing a great job.

pixiedust:First of all Congratulations on you marriage and your Disneymoon.

I agree with the others I think it has become to the point that people feel entitled to everything. They do not have manors at all anymore and just want everything now or they throw a fit. Just in everyday life I am shocked at how people act and then think sense they didn't get their way the person should be fired. Usually when I see those people I try to encourage the worker or who ever they had been dealing with. I also make it a point to say please, thank you and to make sure I praise their hard work.

I agree with EPCOTgrl1. I think people believe that they somehow deserve MORE because they spent so much on this vacation. But they do forget that everyone else has spent a lot too. No one is owed anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter