• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with the direction DCL is heading.

The same is true with concierge. Add some coffee, middle shelf liquor, someone to get stuff for you, and other inexpensive perks to the standard cruise experience and create a frenzy. This passes for luxury service.

THIS ^^^ I have friends that keep trying to convince me to upgrade to concierge. I have an aft, extended verandah - and for a 'mere' $7k more, I can upgrade to concierge. When I keep pressing as to why, they hem and haw and tell me about how I can get free liquor and be waited on - ie tickets, excursions, Palo ... Rest assured - I am in my 40's - NO WAY am I drinking $7k in liquor, whether it's free or I'm paying - and I am perfectly capable of taking care of the 4 things I 'need' done on my cruise. #mindblown #drinkthekoolaide

many many years ago i expressed the above sentiment. I mean, there is room service for food if needed and the shows are free. Booking excursions is no big deal. I dunno.
Its NICE to have extra room and all but at what cost?
I was informed that my opinion was based in ignorance and i misunderstood concierge. I assume that remains to be true today. I'm usually wrong. period.

I'm fresh off my first Disney cruise. I watched this thread before leaving, but now it has a new meaning. A little background- We are fortunate to travel about 6 wks a year- mostly to Europe, not on cruises. I have cruised before on a long gone Stella Solaris, Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity in Concierge. I have to say, either my expectations were really low due to past cruises, or DCL really delivered, but I thought this cruise was marvelous in most aspects. I thought the room was spacious. Service was impeccable. Food in the MDR was more than decent. I could go on and on. I thought the price for the cruise was on par with what I received. I thought the port excursions were grossly overpriced, but that was true of every other ship I'd been on. We stayed in two connecting inside staterooms, and thought they were great. On Celebrity, we paid for a concierge suite, and that experience pales in comparison to DCL. I realize that things are changing, but having never experienced those other things, all I can say is my experience last week was superb. (I'd never do concierge again. What a complete waste of money...maybe DCL is different, but I won't pay to find out)
Nothing is ever perfect. I thought the deck food was meh to just good. I thought the same of the buffet. But having so many experiences to compare to, I have nothing but good things to say about DCL as it stands right now. I'm not negating what people are saying about how DCL is changing, as many of you have so much more experience with how things used to be. I just want to point out that not having any of those experiences, and just seeing DCL for what it is today, it is 100 times more magical than any other cruise I've ever been on. Just a different perspective from a newbie.
BTW- we've booked our next DCL cruise already. :-))

I'm fresh off my first Disney cruise. I watched this thread before leaving, but now it has a new meaning. A little background- We are fortunate to travel about 6 wks a year- mostly to Europe, not on cruises. I have cruised before on a long gone Stella Solaris, Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity in Concierge. I have to say, either my expectations were really low due to past cruises, or DCL really delivered, but I thought this cruise was marvelous in most aspects. I thought the room was spacious. Service was impeccable. Food in the MDR was more than decent. I could go on and on. I thought the price for the cruise was on par with what I received. I thought the port excursions were grossly overpriced, but that was true of every other ship I'd been on. We stayed in two connecting inside staterooms, and thought they were great. On Celebrity, we paid for a concierge suite, and that experience pales in comparison to DCL. I realize that things are changing, but having never experienced those other things, all I can say is my experience last week was superb. (I'd never do concierge again. What a complete waste of money...maybe DCL is different, but I won't pay to find out)
Nothing is ever perfect. I thought the deck food was meh to just good. I thought the same of the buffet. But having so many experiences to compare to, I have nothing but good things to say about DCL as it stands right now. I'm not negating what people are saying about how DCL is changing, as many of you have so much more experience with how things used to be. I just want to point out that not having any of those experiences, and just seeing DCL for what it is today, it is 100 times more magical than any other cruise I've ever been on. Just a different perspective from a newbie.
BTW- we've booked our next DCL cruise already. :-))

Wait until you have taken another. Then the pixie dust starts to wear off. We travel a lot too. And I thought the same thing on my first cruise. A-mazing!!! Best thing we'd ever done. But then you start to see the cracks and you start to question the value. Like not getting to see santa on your merrytime cruise because santas availability is very very limited and they cut off the lines. Your room hostess never replacing your shampoo or soap or toilet paper unless you find her in the evening and ask for some. Never mind thay she is always there in the hall looking depressed and miserable telling you about her 10 hour days and 14 hour change over days making it so that you do not even want to go back to your room because you might see her. The ratty looking "$200" red pillow on your bed that you know has not been washed or changed out in years. The waiters in the main dining room who dont remember names like they did on your first cruise... or drink choices... and pressure you at the end to give them excellent ratings, telling you repeatedly to remember that the waiters are not responsible for the food quality if we didnt like it. The throw up smell in diversions as you play trivia in the middle of the day. The mildew smell as you walk down the hallway to your cabin. The fact that they are cheap with the pompoms at the sailaway party and not all the kids get them. ETC, ETC, ETC...Yes we still like dcl, but we have come to realize that it is overpriced. I never thought it would happen to me... but this disney cruise line lover is sailing with eyes clear of pixie dust. I suspect you will get there too.:eek:

THIS ^^^ I have friends that keep trying to convince me to upgrade to concierge. I have an aft, extended verandah - and for a 'mere' $7k more, I can upgrade to concierge. When I keep pressing as to why, they hem and haw and tell me about how I can get free liquor and be waited on - ie tickets, excursions, Palo ... Rest assured - I am in my 40's - NO WAY am I drinking $7k in liquor, whether it's free or I'm paying - and I am perfectly capable of taking care of the 4 things I 'need' done on my cruise. #mindblown #drinkthekoolaide

My opinion about concierge has always been this (same thing with Club Level at WDW): the most likely reason behind a majority of the people who stay concierge...is simply to brag that they are staying in concierge:duck:. I just can't see any value in it. No one is drinking that much "free" :laughing: liquor. I can make my own reservations...doesn't even take more than a few minutes.

Last edited:
Wait until you have taken another. Then the pixie dust starts to wear off. We travel a lot too. And I thought the same thing on my first cruise. A-mazing!!! Best thing we'd ever done. But then you start to see the cracks and you start to question the value. Like not getting to see santa on your merrytime cruise because santas availability is very very limited and they cut off the lines. Your room hostess never replacing your shampoo or soap or toilet paper unless you find her in the evening and ask for some. Never mind thay she is always there in the hall looking depressed and miserable telling you about her 10 hour days and 14 hour change over days making it so that you do not even want to go back to your room because you might see her. The ratty looking "$200" red pillow on your bed that you know has not been washed or changed out in years. The waiters in the main dining room who dont remember names like they did on your first cruise... or drink choices... and pressure you at the end to give them excellent ratings, telling you repeatedly to remember that the waiters are not responsible for the food quality if we didnt like it. The throw up smell in diversions as you play trivia in the middle of the day. The mildew smell as you walk down the hallway to your cabin. The fact that they are cheap with the pompoms at the sailaway party and not all the kids get them. ETC, ETC, ETC...Yes we still like dcl, but we have come to realize that it is overpriced. I never thought it would happen to me... but this disney cruise line lover is sailing with eyes clear of pixie dust. I suspect you will get there too.:eek:

Hundredacre, we had the same experience on the New Years cruise a few days ago. We had to ask for bathroom supplies to be refreshed. The Host would always change towels, did an excellent job making beds, turn down service, towel animals, etc. But, the overall impression we had is that nobody was going the extra mile as we had come to expect.
The red pillow on the bed was ragged looking, the embroidery was coming out. The room was very squeaky and it looks like their remedy was to take folder pieces of paper and bits of wood and insert them between the crown molding and the ceiling panels. We had an issue with a bag and it took almost 3 days to get it resolved. Most of that was due to language barriers with guest services. It finally took talking to the manager to get it resolved.

Having said all that, we still have some Pixie Dust in our eyes and have already booked for Alaska in July. I just hope it doesn't get washed out.

Wow! Sounds like your cruise experiences just SUCK!

Outside of the Diversions and Santa experiences that pretty much sums up our Sept experience. Our room steward was super friendly but he said they've been told to only replace items when they are asked to or find empty bottles in the trash. Our servers were terrible. I don't really care if they remember my name but in the past drinks have been waiting and I never had to ask for refills. They also both hammered in the 5 star rating with the same discussions about how hard the work and that food quality wasn't their fault. Oddly though we never had an issue with food quality but did notice portions had significantly reduced. I don't think this is having the desired affect though as the servers were bringing out double ordersn of the ribs on pirate night for everyone since the portion was so small.

We also noticed for the first time ever there was no line at the rebook desk and the DVC rep and return sales agent were just hanging out with each other. We talked to them and they told us that they get a rush on days one and two from the bigger platinum members but the rush just isn't there the full cruise like it used to be. Their belief is that more people now are seeing the cruise line as a one off blowout vacation rather than a yearly or biyearly experience.

Outside of the Diversions and Santa experiences that pretty much sums up our Sept experience. Our room steward was super friendly but he said they've been told to only replace items when they are asked to or find empty bottles in the trash. Our servers were terrible. I don't really care if they remember my name but in the past drinks have been waiting and I never had to ask for refills. They also both hammered in the 5 star rating with the same discussions about how hard the work and that food quality wasn't their fault. Oddly though we never had an issue with food quality but did notice portions had significantly reduced. I don't think this is having the desired affect though as the servers were bringing out double ordersn of the ribs on pirate night for everyone since the portion was so small.

We also noticed for the first time ever there was no line at the rebook desk and the DVC rep and return sales agent were just hanging out with each other. We talked to them and they told us that they get a rush on days one and two from the bigger platinum members but the rush just isn't there the full cruise like it used to be. Their belief is that more people now are seeing the cruise line as a one off blowout vacation rather than a yearly or biyearly experience.

That is so crazy! So she wasn't replacing shampoo or toilet paper on purpose!!? We also did not have any postcards (or stationary or pens) in our room and previously we have always been given two. Little things...

Wow! Sounds like your cruise experiences just SUCK!

We were just surprised. It didn't ruin our vacation but we did note all of it in our heads, not much with dcl. We also were not told ahead of time that the beds no longer separate. For us that's a big deal and when we booked, they did separate. If we had known, we would have booked different style rooms. We asked about it and they were just like sorry. Thats fine, but it is not superior service.

That is so crazy! So she wasn't replacing shampoo or toilet paper on purpose!!? We also did not have any postcards (or stationary or pens) in our room and previously we have always been given two. Little things...
Yes. Our room steward told us that Managment thinks people are just loading up on supplies in their cabin so they don't want them giving "extra" when you can buy the items in the gift shop.

We were also told by a server in Cabanas that they've brought in consultants who were with Carnival to give them tips on how to turn people out of the buffets faster. When you reach a point that you are asking Carnival people for advice that isn't a positive step.

Yes. Our room steward told us that Managment thinks people are just loading up on supplies in their cabin so they don't want them giving "extra" when you can buy the items in the gift shop.

We were also told by a server in Cabanas that they've brought in consultants who were with Carnival to give them tips on how to turn people out of the buffets faster. When you reach a point that you are asking Carnival people for advice that isn't a positive step.
That is very disturbing. The shampoo, etc is paid for with my cabin. That is very very nitpicky and short sighted of dcl. That is a very traditional "me" souvenir for females. Not cool disney.

We just got of the Wonder on Monday and we brought home a ton of the shampoos, and lotions. I love those products and our stateroom hostess was constantly giving us extras.

MUN

We just got of the Wonder on Monday and we brought home a ton of the shampoos, and lotions. I love those products and our stateroom hostess was constantly giving us extras.

MUN
Sound like your state room hostess is playing with fire!!

Sound like your state room hostess is playing with fire!!
She said she has been on the Wonder for 14 years. BTW, I don't believe, DCL managment has told hosts and hostesses to be stingy with the shampoos, lotions, and conditioners. On our Fantasy cruise in June, our host was generous with the products.

My feeling is that people like to have something to gripe about.

MUN

My opinion about concierge has always been this (same thing with Club Level at WDW): the most likely reason behind a majority of the people who stay concierge...is simply to brag that they are staying in concierge:duck:. I just can't see any value in it. No one is drinking that much "free" :laughing: liquor. I can make my own reservations...doesn't even take more than a few minutes.

I agree with that. There is certainly no shortage of threads asking an inane question to apparently reveal to all that they are concierge. That is followed by a page or two of self-congratulatory posts as others are offered the opportunity to share their concierge status.

I have two thoughts on this:

First, many companies have successfully taken the marketing approach of identifying classes. For example, last week we flew on Delta Airlines and our seats were some form of "higher class" that gave us a bit more room. One of the perks was that we were not assigned a restricted boarding zone - we had the ability to board through a restricted line and at our leisure. There was no real advantage (we were all going to the same place - the airplane) but I guess we had a moment to feel special as we breezed by the masses as they waited in line to board. I see similar status references on this board. "I am platinum" or "I am only silver" are fairly common, as if those identifiers somehow attach an element of success or failure to a person. Concierge is certainly an attempt to separate by status and the high dollars that go with the upgrade can be attributed in part to a little vanity.

Second, the concierge perks just aren't that good. DCL is a volume cruise line and the food and service are not luxury. Someone (perhaps on this thread) offered the thought that Disney does a good job at getting luxury prices for standard service. That about sums it up for me.

She said she has been on the Wonder for 14 years. BTW, I don't believe, DCL managment has told hosts and hostesses to be stingy with the shampoos, lotions, and conditioners. On our Fantasy cruise in June, our host was generous with the products.

MUN

I hope you are right. But we asked ours everyday for shampoo and conditioner and usually we had used all of it. We also used the same 2 bars of soap for the sink and bath all week. They were quite small at the end! Not exactly luxurious. More like budget cruising. She never gave us extra soap all week- not one additional bar. We are actually not complainers and hate asking for things. But we needed the shampoo and toilet paper. In our case the best case scenario is that she was very poorly trained. That's not great either.

MUN
I'm not sure what benefit they would have had to tell us that. The only thing we asked for was a tube of lotion. We had been chatting all week and he just kind of popped that in. Maybe that was his version of strive for five.

MUN
We had the same issue with stateroom hosts the last two cruises so believe it. As the OP of this thread , not griping just disappointed after 15 DCL cruises.

I had to ask for shampoo ect every time and still didn't always get it! We used it all and it was in the trash. I got the feeling they were being very stingy with it! On our cruise before this one we had more than we could use!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter