• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed with son's reaction

what does he mean, "I'm not eating there?" Does he think the dining room is too froufrou or something? Or is he afraid of cruising for whatever reason? I know adults who are afraid of going out on a ship. He doesn't have to eat there, I think they'll feed them in the club or he can eat room service and then go to the club, but at 10 he's probably still going to be doing what his parents tell him.

Thank you for all the replys. I will say that he does not really get a choice of vacations, but I would like for him to at least not complain about it. I have decided that I will let him help pick the excursions (within limits). That should help him get excited. That and the ice cream!!!!

TDC Nala- I was watching a little clip of Animator's Palate with Crush talking. I guess he thought it was childish! I thought it was great.

I have booked the cruise and am already busy planning! I am in my Happy Place!

Oh my, don't know which is worse. We just got off the Magic a week ago today, and my DS10 was crying (in a choked up way, not tantrum way) on the debarkation morning because he didn't want to get OFF the ship. He knew not to go to the Til We Meet Again gathering, because he said he would be embarrassed if someone saw him cry. So he went to the arcade instead the last night.

Ten is a funny age, our son was given the children's menu at dinner, but we let him look at the adult one every night so he could pick and choose. He couldn't wait to try duck!

You'll have a fantastic time, and so will your son! Happy Birthday!pixiedust:

This is so reminiscent of my DS, now 14. He complained about a trip we were taking and I just pulled him aside and said, "I know it may be really difficult for you to go to St. John, but I know you know how much this means to me and I really appreciate you doing this for me!" He couldn't say much and it gave him an excuse to go along with the trip. He ended up having a great time and could save face because he was "doing it for Mom.";)

My daughter is 4 and she has her own version of this. We stayed at BLT when she was 2.5 years old and she remebers it vivdly. She loved watching the monorail during breakfast and the fireworks from bed. Ever since then, she has been disappoointed when we stay somewhere else. And I'm talking about the Boardwalk (which I love)! I just want to shake her. She has no clue! I went on ONE family vacation when I was a kid. :confused3 But in the end, we always have blast. I have learned to take her comments with a grain of salt. I bought the DVC points, I make the choices. She can stay at BLT when she buys her own membership.

jenifred said:
My daughter is 4 and she has her own version of this. We stayed at BLT when she was 2.5 yes old and she remebers it vivdly. She loved watching the monorail during breakfast and the fireworks from bed. Ever since then, she has been disappoointed when we stay somewhere else. And I'm talking about the Boardwalk (which I love)! I just want to shake her. She has no clue! I went on ONE family vacation when I was a kid. :confused3 But in the end, we always have blast. I have learned to take her comments with a grain of salt. I bought the DVC points, I make the choices. She can stay at BLT when she buys her own membership.

My son is 5 and he has similar strong opinions. Lol! It's comical. Like he has any say. Spoiled kids!. They don't know how good they have it! ;)

TDC Nala- I was watching a little clip of Animator's Palate with Crush talking. I guess he thought it was childish! I thought it was great.

maybe he's afraid he'll be asked to talk to the turtle. He doesn't have to, or he can go to the kids' club that night if you're up for it. If you do late seating, the counselors come to the dining room and take the kids to the club if they're ready to go.

I would buy a Disney cruise line book and let him read about it. :) My kids like to be apart of our conversations about where we are going and what there is to do. it gets them excited for the trip too.

we did a Disney cruise when dh turned 40. :) we had a blast !!

My daughter is 9 and has lots of opinions on vacations. I don’t have a husband though so she’s usually the one listening when I’m planning and once a destination is picked, I do talk more to her about it.

We are planning a DCL trip. I wanted 7 days, but it is out of my reach, plus since cruising would be new to ds and pretty much to dd since our one and only other experience (RCCL) when she was 4, she doesn’t remember much, I figured it might not be best to start with a 7 day.

I have some discounts for WDW that will make going for a week next time more affordable so I am thinking of doing a 7/3 night land/sea. She knows the cruise is going to happen but not when. She doesn’t know when we are returning to WDW. I’m going to keep that to myself for both of our sakes.

She asked me recently how long our cruise would be. I told her either 3 or 4 nights and she asked why not 10 like the last time we went to WDW? I told her it was either 3, 4 or 7 and I can’t afford 7. But we can maybe spend some time at WDW before we go on the boat.

I took some time to explain to her that our 9 night WDW trip cost about the same as the 4 night DCL trip I was looking at. We had some discounts. Heck, sometimes I wonder myself what the heck I’m thinking spending almost as much for a 3 or 4 night cruise as I do for a week at WDW. The cheapest month we can plan ahead to travel is May and I really want to experience it at least once. Looks like it will be 3 nights because the 4 night I was looking at filled up to the point only unobstructed Verandahs are available.

I was just thinking today how many children never get to take similar vacations and here I was fretting over only being able to afford 3 nights on DCL. :confused3

I guess this is the problem we deal with since families these days go on vacation a lot, right? My parents rarely went on vacation as kids. I started to go on vacation a lot once my mom got divorced. She didn't give me a choice of where to go, but she would maybe say "Hawaii or Mexico?" and let me choose between the two. Then as I got older I was allowed to have more input. I don't recall ever saying "no" or being ungrateful. People were always so jealous I got to go on vacation so much, especially adults!

I don't have a kid, but I hate kids who act entitled and I like the idea of giving him the option to not come, though I bet that can be difficult to find someone to take care of a kid.

It's your birthday though, so your happiness comes first!

My husband and I have been discussing taking a cruise Spring Break for my 40th birthday. I am sitting here looking at the videos and my ds (10 years) comes in and says, "I am not eating there" When I told him we were probably taking a Disney Cruise he said, Oh no!
I know he is 10 and at that, "I am too cool for that" phase, but I am hoping he changes his mind! Have any of you experienced this? Did you make your son go and did they have a great time? Should I be concerned or should I just say, "Its my 40th birthday and this is what we are doing?

I was 12 the time we cruised!!! MAGICAL:goodvibes The Edge was great...I made so many friends, even knew one from our meets thread ahead of time!:cool1: I had fun everywhere! They have Disney trivia games, bingo, karaoke, and the SHOWS were amazing and funny!!! The comedians were hilarious...your son will never get bored(there's always something to do in the clubs. And how much he is involved is really up to him! I did things in the club, but lots of times, just wanted to be with my family. The soft-serve ice cream station was wonderful(they usually had different flavors every day). Basically, your son will have a BLAST! HTH:cutie:

My 16 year old would live on the ship if it were possible so would the 11 year old, Heck, so would I!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter