Disappointed with DHS

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by TinkerBella17, Aug 13, 2014.

1. TinkerBella17

TinkerBella17 Earning My Ears

There's just not much to do there. After going on Tot, Rock n' Roller, TGMR & Toy Story Mania, I get bored. I know there's shows and things like the Disney Animation but in terms of spending more than one day there a trip I just don't see how anyone finds enough things to do. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that this park needs a MAJOR face lift?
    :confused3:confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. StinkyPete&Jessie

StinkyPete&Jessie Earning My Ears

I agree but think the experience is different depending upon if it's your first visit to DHS.
    I skip a good 1/3 of the attractions because they are not worth doing again. However, you would be hard pressed to get all the rides and shows done in 1 day.

4. WizardLarz

WizardLarz DIS Veteran

DHS is only a one day park for most people. The same with Animal Kingdom. I would not worry if you only do one day at DHS. All are hoping that with the acquiring of Lucas Films that DHS will soon be getting some much needed Love from Disney.

5. glvsav37

glvsav37 Mouseketeer

On our last trip in July, we realized just how many 'attractions' closed at 5pm there. IMO thats' the biggest problem with the park.

most of the movie based shows
    the stunt shows
    the character meet and greets in the animation bldg.

We have young kids who were not interested in ToT or RnR. We did do the Frozen VIP pkg, and it really hit us after the late afternoon sing-a-long and then a looooong stretch before the desert party started.

Next time I think we will book a later dinner to fill that time.

6. Silock

Silock DIS Veteran

I always manage to stay a whole day there. But mostly because I go to Tune In Lounge and drink PB&J milkshakes for like 4 hours.

7. jcnewton

jcnewton Never as happy as I am in Florida

DHS and AK, neither are a full day park for me, some through no fault of the parks, though. Once I hit the big rides at DHS, I'm pretty much done. I'll do the animation stuff, maybe Great Movie Ride, and the backlot...but I'm not a fan of the food choices there, so I usually end up leaving. I'm hoping some kind of expansion will remedy this.

8. jon18uk

jon18uk Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom has long been labelled a half day park but I think Hollywood Studios almost has less big draws at the moment. There is only six rides in DHS, the rest of the attractions are all shows or walk throughs. Animal Kingdom also has six rides plus shows and walk-throughs. I think the only thing truly stopping DHS being a half day park is Fantasmic, as this encourages people to stay into the evening. They need to work on new rides for DHS and refresh all the shows, Indianna Jones and Beauty and the Beast are both ancient, replace or update!

9. Viva Las Disney

Viva Las Disney DIS Veteran

I agree with Stinky Pete, if you've been there a few times and can skip a lot of the shows I could see where many probably consider it a 1 day park but for newer visitors like myself I think it's a multi day park.

I spent a day and a half on my first trip last year and although I got on all the rides a few times I still missed a few shows I wanted to see due to the overlapping start times. I had only scheduled one day at HS but ended up going back for a half day because I missed so many shows and although it didn't have a huge selection of rides the ones it did have (ToT, RnRC, TSMM, and Star Tours) ended up being 4 of my favorite rides in all the parks, I also thought HS had a couple really cool themed restaurants and Fantasmic was the icing on the cake.

I think on my next trip I'll still plan at least a full day and a partial day if not 2 full days just to try to see it all again.

10. TheNewMrsB

TheNewMrsB DIS Veteran

Agreed - we only ever plan maybe a half day there. But it's all about what you're interested in. ToT, RRC, TSM, TGMR and I'm pretty much set. Oh, and a carrot cake cookie. Obviously. ::yes::

Fun fact: In the five times I've been there with DH since 2008 we've only visited AK once, on our honeymoon/first trip. The coaster was fun, the rapids drenching. But it was so.darn.hot. Next time we go in December I'd love to spend some time really looking around because I remember being so impressed with the theming. Big surprise, it's WDW. But it just hasn't been worth a return trip for us yet.

11. Cold71

Cold71 Mouseketeer

Agree with everyone, i'm only able to turn this in to an all day park because we typically only go down every other year. Even then though I find myself having to ride StarWars 5 times, RnR 6-7 times, etc. While i'm still having fun it would be nice to see a larger mix of rides.

12. mvk

mvk Mouseketeer

Supposedly AFI Showcase and Backlot Tour exit gift shop closing after Saturday in preparation for a "future guest experience".

Per WDW News Today.

13. Goofcoaster

Goofcoaster Earning My Ears

I think DHS is missing out on a lot of night entertainment. So much could be done at this park to keep people in the gates well into the dark.

14. starsweeper

starsweeper DIS Veteran

If we could ride TSMM, Star Tours and ToT with no wait, we'd be done with DHS after an hour. We have young kids and the park just doesn't have much appeal for little ones. I've never liked the park layout either.

We're going to AK for the first time since 2010. We belong to a zoo at home, so it just doesn't have as much appeal. We plan to spend 4-5 hours there and either relax by the pool or hop to MK or Epcot.

15. WDWChloe

WDWChloe WDW Annual Passholder

Aw yiss.

16. jcnewton

jcnewton Never as happy as I am in Florida

I hate this news. I usually always get something from that shop, and it just seems so.....abrupt?

17. jamarmiller

jamarmiller Mouseketeer

I go to this park once every 5 years compared to going to the other parks every year. And each time I do I am sooooo disappointed in myself for paying for the ticket

18. belac

belac I like fluffy!

Ok I'm on the flip side of this, I actually like DHS (I still call it MGM, and don't know why, cause I know better). There is something about that park that yeah it is maybe a one day park but it is something in the feel of that one. I can't explain it, it is simply a feeling. Maybe cause it is more of a relaxing day or the ambiance, but I do a full day there.

19. jamarmiller

jamarmiller Mouseketeer

Personally I do like what they have there, theres just not enough and there is just too many shows.

I think they should keep most of what they have and where they have it, but need to add to the park

THe America Idol experience and Drew Carey need to go, the backlot tour needs to go, but Id personally like to see everything else stay the way it is ( well possibly the stunt car show, never was interested in that at all ) other than the sorcerers hat.

It needs a cars land, and a star wars land as well as something more for the little girls. Then it would be a great park, right now its a poor mans universal IMVHO

20. Figment Mom

Figment Mom Mouseketeer

DS9 and I spent 3 full days there on our recent trip.

Over 3 days we did:
    Jedi Training Academy 3x
    Star Tours 8x
    TSMM 3x
    Great Movie Ride
    One Man's Dream
    HISTK playground 2x
    Backlot Tour
    Indiana Jones
    LMA Stunt Show
    Muppets 3x
    Frozen sing-along 2x
    Frozen Funland (skating and snow play)
    Frozen parade/processional
    Fantasmic
    Frozen Fireworks 2x

We ate at: 50s PT, Sci-Fi, and Mama Melrose (Fantasmic dinner package)

Each day we arrived at rope drop and left for about 3 hours in the late afternoon for a swim break. Each evening we returned and one night we stayed for EMH (10 pm - midnight).

DS cannot choose a favorite park between DHS, Epcot, and MK. Actually for him it's probably a tie between DHS and Epcot.

21. disney world dreamer

disney world dreamer DIS Veteran

DHS is my second favorite after MK.
    this is what i do there..
    -ToT
    -RnRC
    -TGMR
    -TSM
    -beauty and the beast
    -voyage of the little mermaid
    -muppet vision 3D
    -sometimes star tours
    -sometimes the backlot tour
    -always eat at sci-fi dine in theater

i usually spend 3/4 of a day there but could spend the whole day.
    i wouldn't go more than that unless i had the time and just went for ToT a few times in a row lol.

for me personally the park with he least to do is AK.
    i can barely make it to noon before i leave and even then i've taken my time.
    i find it so boring.