Disappointed In Riverside!!!

MIERSWE3

Earning My Ears
Just got back from Port orleans Riverside today after a week. A little disappointed! This was our second stay at PO. We have stayed all over disney property as this is our 12th consecutive time to visit. The room was dirty and dark. The bathroom needs a good scrubbing, it is surface clean, but it is not clean the way we like it. The room I requested near the food court, was not near the food court. We had to go through quite a bit of conferencing with the front desk manager to get moved! we finally were moved to building 16, 1629 to be exact and that was not really close at all! The people next door to us were up until all hours of the night, hey I like to have a good time but at 2am I want to rest after walking around for 12 straight hours, so we called the front desk, they called security , who showed up 15 mins after we called, literally stood outside our door, listened, and then left without saying a word to our neighbor!!! We only wanted them to tell them to keep it down, after all, it was 2 am...I dont think that was unreasonable. So at 3am, we banged on the wall and they got the hint or finally got tired, I'm not sure which. I love Disney and we do go every year and have annual passes. I won't stay at PO for a good long time. Wilderness Lodge and Coronado are still my favorites! We do like PO French Quarter and can't wait for the renovation to be completed! Maybe its time to renovate the rooms at Riverside.

Ooooh! This really scares me!!!! We will be staying there this weekend. I booked POR because I wanted to stay somewhere different. A dirty room is just unacceptable to me.

I am sorry to hear MIERSWE3 had a rough time. I was just there 8/16-17 and had a very nice visit. Although, we had some noisy neighbors too. That never ceases to amaze me how loud people can be...when it is late at night or very early, please keep your voice down! Just common courtesy.

Anyway, we were in bldg 27 (room 2704, corner ground floor) and it was very clean. Everything...not even dust on top of the light fixtures. I noticed many towel animals in the building, so that housekeeper must be top notch. Maybe you can request bldg 27!

Happy travels, everyone

We've stayed at DL (or PORS) twice and didn't have any problems like that. As a matter of fact we loved the place. On one trip we were put in what used to be called "alligator bayous" and when we got in the room I didn't care for the "rugged" decor so we asked to be moved to the mansions. They got us in pretty quick and we were off to the park. That was the only thing and I just think it was my decor taste. I wonder what's going on?

A neighborly knock on the door and a respectful request to keep quiet would be my first choice before calling security. Unfortunately, many people don't realize how loud they are when they are having too much fun. We have young children, and their cries have inconvenienced many neighbors on flights and hotels. Sometimes it comes down to not letting it get to you, and how you handle it.

Regarding the room, did you speak to housekeeping about it? Did they take care of your request? And you really can't compare WL to POR. WL is much better, at a cost.

Sorry to hear you about your visti to POR.
We just got back yesterday too. We had a great time. I will post a report on another thread.

We stayed at Port Orleans RS earlier this year and luckily didn't have these problems. Our room was extremely clean, our only problem was getting any shampoo or soap! I solved this by doing an early morning housekeeping cart raid though. :teeth:

Why not write Disney as an FYI to them? Be sure to mention the room number if you do so.

We just returned from a visit. 8/13-8/18 and we loved it there.
Our rooms were very clean, but we did not receive maid service one day (because my son was taking a nap when she came).
I agree that it probably needs refurbishing but I did not think it was "run down" or dirty. We were first in AB 26 but then got moved to Mansions room 8217 and 8218 connecting rooms. (thats a whole other story though)
I never thought it was noisy at all. We were on the second floor. Maybe that makes a difference.

We loved this resort and would gladly stay there again. I have also stayed and FQ and probably prefer it there, but my kids would prefer POR.

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in March/early April of this year.

We were in Bldg. 14 which was very convenient but our bathroom was also dirty, stains on the carpet in the room, dusty, etc. It definitely needed a good cleaning and rehab. - I was disappointed. They also brought up a refrigerator which had the front bar broken eliminating a lot of space. We complained and a new one was brought to our room within 20 minutes but the original should not have even been loaned out at $10/day. Also, our last day our room was not cleaned. We returned from a long day and looked forward to showers and made beds. They did offer to clean the room but it was after 10 p.m - they brought new towels and gave us a late checkout (and lots of Mickey shampoo!)

We didn't complain at the time as doing so would take time from the parks - we just lived with it. However, whether it's a deluxe, moderate or value - it should be clean! You're paying for it. I can't believe they don't have a supervisor checking rooms after they are cleaned - it would eliminate so many complaints (and Port Orleans seems to be hit or miss). Our bathroom floor had not been cleaned in the corners for a very long time.....

I did let them know when we returned and received a call from Disney. They appreciated it and said they would let the housekeeping staff know. I would write to Disney....

Sorry this is so long....... We did love Port Orleans & Disney World though - we must have as we bought a DVC resale at Boardwalk when we returned!

Wow, sorry to hear about your bad luck!

My parents stayed at PO-R as did we earlier in August, and can't say anything but wonderful things about the place. The rooms were immaculate, no complaints of noise, and we didn't notice that the rooms were overly dark, either ( but when surrounded by trees in the Bayou, perhaps, the shade makes them seem a tad bit darker). We were in Parterre Place.;

I do have to agree with the Ambassador that perhaps before calling the front desk, you might have knocked on your neighbor's door and requested that they quiet down a bit. I am sure that they were in no way trying to inconvenience you. Also, Security usually will ask someone to quiet down if they determine that the noise level is excessive. Maybe it seemed louder because you were tired and irritated?

Perhaps PO-R just isn't the right choice for you? That is why it is so wonderful that Disney has so many choices. I think we all have a tendency to have high expectations, especially where Disney is concerned, and when they aren't met entirely, it tends to put a damper on the rest of the experience.

Hope you have a great time next time:)

At least this is what I am thinking, as I have ressies for Nov. and have heard nothing but GOOD things about Building 14! Hope its as great as I THINK it will be than.;)

Sorry you were dissapointed.

I have stayed there 3 times and have nothing but good things to say about every visit. The last visit I was in Magnolia Terrace and my room was immaculate. The bathroom looked like it had been newly grouted. The rug was new as well.

Hope you have a better experience the next time.

We just got back from our wedding/honeymoon stay at POR (we got married at the Yacht Club on 8/17) and I will never stay there again. I was really looking forward to the "theming" of that resort, but in the first 30 minutes of our stay they completely turned me off of staying at a WDW resort again.

We were booked under the "intimate wedding package" with a king-size bed room. The bell man took us to our room, which was the furthest location from the lobby (#3540) and it had a wonderful view of the parking lot expanse. I told the bell man that I was going to call and ask for another room. He called for us and they put us then in room #2540. It was right next to a stairway with the generator not too far from there. When we opened the door, the mechanical arm at the top of the door ripped from the frame and just hung there. Then when I went to the bathroom, the toilet wouldn't flush. At the same time, my mom was trying to call us and everytime I picked up, it would cut out on her. The bell man had said he was going to call maintenace, but we winded up calling them ourselves.

When I called the front-desk and asked to talk to a manager, I sat on hold for about 15 minutes. The woman I talked to was not apologetic at all and instead started giving me some speel about how they gave us "the standard view" and that the room we were in had just "come up unexpectedly". I was pretty upset at that point. It took maintenance 2 1/2 hours to fix everything and at the end, there were 2 guys in the bathroom working on the toilet. After all that, I never heard a word from anyone calling to see if everything was better or even okay. I was too concerned about the wedding details to get too wrapped up in fixing the room situation.

You know, I had read about issues with POR on this board prior to going. Even with what I read, I was really hopeful that this resort would be an awesome place to stay for our first trip to WDW. Next time, I'm going to listen to what I hear on this board. I'll never stay there again.

Back in DEC. 2000, we split our stay between Embassy Suites and CRB and the whole time at CBR my wife wanted to go back to Embassy Suites...She claims Disney Onsite resorts are not worth the value for the price you pay....and I must agree.

Last year we stayed at the DTD Hilton and the Hard Rock and enjoyed the savings along with the value....did we miss the "Magic" of CBR?...does CBR have the "Magic" to start with?

This year I talked her into a BWV rental....we'll have to see if location can make this a value.

I just wanted to weigh in with my opinion. We stayed there for a weekend in July, and our room was acceptable.
DH and I both thought the grounds were very nice. The buildings themselves were beautiful (Magnolia Mansions) and the area even smelled nice.
We stayed in Parterre Place, on the second floor. The bathroom had a little peeling wallpaper and one lightbulb was out over the sinks. We did not complain, and it was still out the second day. The third day it started working, before housekeeping came by, so it must not have been burned out after all, it just needed a nudge.
We have stayed in WL twice, and really enjoyed it. We were a little worried that POR would be really disappointing after deluxe, but it wasn't. We just had to expect something less than deluxe.
Not that dirt or broken doors are acceptable. Hopefully those experiences are once-in-a-while occurences! DH and I are really talking up the POR for our friends to stay next year!

We just got back from a week long stay at POR (8-12 to 8-19). We were 5 adults and 1 infant. We had two connecting rooms and both were very very nice. This was our second time at POR..(Alligator Bayoo) and we were not disappointed either time.

We were in building 37 last week. It was a nice quiet location. The room was not dark..unless we closed the drapes over the blinds. It was clean and in very good condition. We had about a 5 minute walk to the food court and general store. Housekeeping was timely and good.

I am pretty particular when it comes to where we stay and the condition of the room and feeling like I am getting what I paid for so honestly, I was very pleased with POR.

All in all....we would stay again without hesitation. Sorry to hear everyone is not having the same experience. Perhaps some of the rooms have had a bit more wear and tear, but that should be fixed with the upcoming refurbishment of the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter