Disappointed in Festival of Fantasy Parade - no Grand Marshal car

Captain Hook Wannabe

Mouseketeer
One of the most magical days I have ever experienced, occurred because of the afternoon parade at MK. While walking into the MK, my kids started to pin trade with a cast member named Dean. We struck up a conversation, and after a minute or two, Dean motioned for us to follow him. When we got to a quieter part on Main St., Dean asked us if we would like to be in the afternoon parade. Of course we said yes.

We rode in the Grand Marshal car. IT WAS INCRIDIBLE!!! My family and I will never forget it. Once in a lifetime experience.

So when I started to stream today's parade on my computer, I didn't care about the floats or costumes. I just really wanted to see that Grand Marshal car. I wanted to see another family getting that wonderful experience I received. I wanted to be sure Disney execs hadn't ended a wonderful tradition.

The parade no longer includes the Grand Marshal car. While I am glad I had the opportunity to experience the joy of being in the parade, I am greatly disappointed this opportunity has ended for all future guests. I'll leave the debate to which parade is better (old or new) to others. I will just really miss that Grand Marshal car.

One of the most magical days I have ever experienced, occurred because of the afternoon parade at MK. While walking into the MK, my kids started to pin trade with a cast member named Dean. We struck up a conversation, and after a minute or two, Dean motioned for us to follow him. When we got to a quieter part on Main St., Dean asked us if we would like to be in the afternoon parade. Of course we said yes.

We rode in the Grand Marshal car. IT WAS INCRIDIBLE!!! My family and I will never forget it. Once in a lifetime experience.

So when I started to stream today's parade on my computer, I didn't care about the floats or costumes. I just really wanted to see that Grand Marshal car. I wanted to see another family getting that wonderful experience I received. I wanted to be sure Disney execs hadn't ended a wonderful tradition.

The parade no longer includes the Grand Marshal car. While I am glad I had the opportunity to experience the joy of being in the parade, I am greatly disappointed this opportunity has ended for all future guests. I'll leave the debate to which parade is better (old or new) to others. I will just really miss that Grand Marshal car.

Yes it does. The Grand Marshal car had a family from Denver and a newlywed couple in it. It came down about 10 minutes before the parade started.

i miss the ability to dance with the characters in the street. that video of the little girl accidentally getting clocked in the street was priceless and will never happen again. she didn't die so it's okay to laugh at it now.

i miss the ability to dance with the characters in the street. that video of the little girl accidentally getting clocked in the street was priceless and will never happen again. she didn't die so it's okay to laugh at it now.

That happened during Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It which still occurs on a daily basis a few times each day.

Yes it does. The Grand Marshal car had a family from Denver and a newlywed couple in it. It came down about 10 minutes before the parade started.

^This is correct. They did have Grand Marshals before the parade.

Is there a link for this? :rolleyes1

Sounds like it does. So, are you still disappointed or is the point of this thread now moot?

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

The Grand Marshal car comes about 15 mins before the parade starts.

^This is correct. They did have Grand Marshals before the parade.

Just curious.... if they have visiting HS marching bands do they march before the Grand Marshall Car? When my son marched (2012)it was about 30 min prior to the afternoon parade starting I think.

Just curious.... if they have visiting HS marching bands do they march before the Grand Marshall Car? When my son marched (2012)it was about 30 min prior to the afternoon parade starting I think.

Yes. There were bands playing today and they were before the Grand Marshall Car. About 30 minutes before parade start.

Most of the people who posted footage of today's parade left out the Grand Marshal part simply because it came by quite a while before the actual parade did. We were out by Casey's and there was about a ten-minute gap. We figured it was because the parade was running *super* slow in order for filming and pictures from both Disney and everyone there.

Thanks, that's good to hear. It was a very positive experience for our HS band, the crowd was so supportive and welcoming to the kids marching. :goodvibes

Will this parade run in lite rain/mist or if it had rained earlier and the ground is still wet? Looks like those floats are more delicate and need to be dry to be safe for the CMs (the swings and moving platforms). We might see less showings then the last parade cause of the floats and costume designs. What does everyone else think?

Will this parade run in lite rain/mist or if it had rained earlier and the ground is still wet? Looks like those floats are more delicate and need to be dry to be safe for the CMs (the swings and moving platforms). We might see less showings then the last parade cause of the floats and costume designs. What does everyone else think?

I expect no measurable difference. I've been under the impression that the slick surface is mostly a danger to the dancing performers walking along with the floats--not to the floats themselves.

You might be interested to know that Dean (who has since retired) has a book out with stories of some of the people he picked to be Grand Marshals. Another Dis'er recommended it and I just started reading it.. I have it at work so I can read one or two stories on my lunch break to get a little dose of Disney magic while I'm working :goodvibes

I expect no measurable difference. I've been under the impression that the slick surface is mostly a danger to the dancing performers walking along with the floats--not to the floats themselves.

Yes to the danger to walking cast but also many of the floats had issues going up the hills in the Frontierland area. Don't know about the new floats as to differences in wheels and so on yet. Did hear last Fall that the "electronic systems" were more susceptible to weather events but hasn't seemed to bother those that sit outside right now.

Yes to the danger to walking cast but also many of the floats had issues going up the hills in the Frontierland area. Don't know about the new floats as to differences in wheels and so on yet. Did hear last Fall that the "electronic systems" were more susceptible to weather events but hasn't seemed to bother those that sit outside right now.

Thanks for the info. Always interesting to hear your input! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter