Disapointed with Decorations

I just don't hang in the MK and look at the castle, but I do hang in Epcot. I don't give a darn what kind of bulb they use, just put up something to look at there. I'm not too pleased with the stripping of Epcot.

You used to be able to see characters in holiday getups without paying for MVMCP. And in Epcot, not just in MK.

I agree!!! Epcot could use some jazzing up since they eliminated the lights. We're paying a whopping $420. per night at BC until 12/17, and would like a little magic and bright lights, the kind Michael Eisner once provided.

Here are some pictures from a few years ago - don't have any more recent ones - stopped taking pictures of this stuff ages ago. It gives some idea of what things used to look like. BTW I still have the hat and will wear it this trip.

Disney2004067.jpg

Disney2004094.jpg

Disney2004213.jpg

Disney2004093.jpg

Disney2004079.jpg

Disney2004011.jpg

Disney2004074.jpg

Disney2004044.jpg

Disney2004038.jpg

Almost afraid to say anything else, but FWIW, the characters in Camp Minnie Mickey at AK were in Christmas attire

I'm going to reserve judgement as we are going back again in a few more days. First time during holiday decorations though. I'm sure it will be beautiful but I will have to curb my extreme hatred of LED lights...LOL! I think they look weird and not at all the same as the traditional lights we had growing up. ;)

ntsammy5, I love your pictures. That looks much like what we saw several years ago. :)

I'm going to reserve judgement as we are going back again in a few more days. First time during holiday decorations though. I'm sure it will be beautiful but I will have to curb my extreme hatred of LED lights...LOL! I think they look weird and not at all the same as the traditional lights we had growing up. ;)

I put LED lights on my Christmas tree for the first time this year..plugged it in them took them right off and back to the store..It looked HORRIBLE:scared1:
it looked like I put a bunch of night lights on the tree..I will stick with my traditional lights from now on.

Thank you so much for posting your photos!
Christmas wreaths on the wheels of the bus, too cute!!!

I didn't realize the Christmas Country Bear Jamboree had been discontinued, but at least I now have advance warning.

The LED are so cold looking, but as long as companies are making big money on them, they will be pushing them on everyone, I guess, so people will have to stock pile while the old ones are still available.

We planned our Thanksgiving vacation to meet family in Orlando and see the decorations at Disney. I remember many years ago being in awe at all the decorations at the parks and hotels and really feeling ready for the holiday season. We went to 6 major Dis hotels and 2 parks and I have been less than impressed.

We were at WDW the Friday before Thanksgiving to the day before Thanksgiving. We toured the hotels looking for decorations and had the kids "rate" them. We were very disappointed by the minimal decorations. The Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge "won" the competition.

Those are always there, have been for years.

I'm not willing to accept losing the Lights of Winter because they put more lights on the castle. If there had only been some kind of explanation other than "they're obsolete."
ITA!!!
I
Don't get me wrong, I ADORE the LOW, and I'm anticipating being super sad that they aren't there, but I can see how Disney wants to convert to solely LEDs in all of their displays.

Okay, so the lighting of the castle doesn't make up for LOW for you. That's fine, but I think to assert that Disney is cutting back and things are in decline with no improvements at all is just not true. Castle lights vs. LOW? I'll take the castle! I'm glad they are using electricity in a much smarter way now.
That's the excuse? LOW weren't LED? Pitiful. imo BTW, no LED's at my house...they look horrible. Again, mo.

So sad, we have to make a choice, especially with the increasing prices on everything Disney? But, IF it were up to me, Lights of Winter...hands down.

Well, I hope everyone going (now or in 2011) has a great time and that other parts of the experience make up for what is no longer there. :)

Pixie dust to all!

A bit OT, but I'm a fan of the LED lights. Yes, theyre different than the old ones, but I think they still look good. And for those that are fighting the upgrade to LED in favor of the old lights, they have 'TruGlo' LEDs now that use less power, but look like the classic lights.

Wow, okay, forgive me. It was our first trip and we'd never seen the lights in the sidewalk. We enjoyed them. Glad to know they'll be there next time. I made no comment on the removeal of the Lights of Winter. I've never seen it. I'm sorry that is a disappointment for you.

Yes, they've been there for years, but every time we walk over them I remember the giggles of my kids the first time we went and they saw them for the first time, and it makes me smile! My kids are no longer "kids" but for me, when I walk over those lights with DH, I am taken back to that trip when they were kids and were there with us. Cherish that memory...it will make you smile every time you see those lights!

I thought the lights in the sidewalk at Epcot were being referred to as a holiday decoration and were being mentioned to show that yes they are adding new holiday decorations to Epcot. They are not, they are there year-round.

I just don't hang in the MK and look at the castle, but I do hang in Epcot. I don't give a darn what kind of bulb they use, just put up something to look at there. I'm not too pleased with the stripping of Epcot.You used to be able to see characters in holiday getups without paying for MVMCP. And in Epcot, not just in MK.

WELL SAID. I don't give a darn what kind of bulb they use either. If they were going to take down one of the most gorgeous displays in EPCOT they should have replaced it with something else, they didn't. You're right EPCOT and other parks just seemed striped from a lot of the Christmas decorations. I just wish some people would stop making excuses for Disney.

I was going to post a similar thread a few days ago, but never got around to it. I am a huge WDW fan (as we all are I'm sure) and been many times...but had never been to see Christmas decorations. Well, convinced DH that THIS was the year to do it! We went for a quick trip Dec 1 - 6 and went to MVMCP on the 2nd.

My sis and bil came with us too. BIL is a walker - prefers to walk around and people watch and check out all the little things rather than go commando from ride to ride. He was the first to remark to me 'WOW, I thought there'd be way more decorations.' It made me really look around and yes, I totally agreed.

There were many areas that you couldn't even tell it was Christmastime, especially during the day. An entire large section of any of the parks might just have one wreath hanging in the vicinity.

I was expecting way, WAY more.

At least I know what I'm missing now....aside from the Osbourne lights, honestly I don't think I'm missing anything compared to going in August.

* I just wish some people would stop making excuses for Disney.

:confused3People give their opinions, you give yours. I suspect some "wish" some people would stop complaining as often as possible. But that is your right. It seems to fulfill your needs. Posting the positive fulfills other's needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter