Disadvantage to 3 day?

CheapMom

DIS Veteran
Other than the obvious- 1 less day
Originally we were planning a week long family trip to WDW to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Saved my money like a madwoman and started thinking it would be nice to 'try' the cruise so we shortened our week at wdw to 5 days and added the 3 day at the end of our trip. Now I am thinking the 4 day would be better- everybody seems to love it so much.
Are all the same things available on the 3 day as the 4 day (theme nights, parties, games, Tea with Wendy, that type of stuff) or do you miss out on stuff being on the 3 day?

:earsboy: :earsgirl: ::MinnieMo pirate: pirate:

We've done a 3- and a 4-day. The 3-day is a nice way to get a 'taste' of cruising. There are no character breakfasts or 'tea with Wendy' on either of the 3- or 4-day cruises. The 3-day has one less theme night. Check out the Navigators on www.castawayclub.com or dcltribute.com to see which theme night you miss (70's, 80's night, etc.). You won't miss any of the 'major' shows. I say "go for it". You'll be soon booking a 4-day or even a 7-day after your 3-day sampler!!

Do yourself and your family a favor, and just change it to the 4 day if at all possible.

I was cationed before my first disney cruise to avoid the 3 day, and I took it lightly because I was booked on the 4 day already. Last summer I booked a last minute 3 day just to calm down the cruise bug in me, and boy was the warning correct.

The cruise itself was wonderful, but the people you cruise with make a difference, and it was just a nicer bunch on the 4 and 7 day cruises (being very polite)

I did not believe that disney would attract anything but a wholesome family crowd, but there were in fact alot of "inner city wild type folks" on the three day, and thats what I had been warned about. My friends travel agent said that they do get inner city group bookings on the 3 day cruises often.

Maybe it was just a quirk that my family had that experience , maybe not.

Good Luck

I think you would enjoy either. Problem with the 3 day is by the time you get on the ship, it almost seems like its time to leave - just goes tooooo quick. - Mike

It's not a "3 day cruise," it's a 3-night cruise. That means one partial day and only two full days. Then you have to leave after ship right after your 3rd night.

You have all the same annoyances of getting to port, embarkation, debarkation, etc. But there's very little time to relax on the ship.

but there were in fact alot of "inner city wild type folks" on the three day, and thats what I had been warned about. My friends travel agent said that they do get inner city group bookings on the 3 day cruises often.

Huh?

OK :confused:

On our three day the folks I met and saw were great and no different than on the 7 day. I really don't think this is a valid observation but then again I can only speak for my one 3 day experience.

Cheers,
Grumbo

We just came off the three day..we loved it..but, really missed the day at sea...and the time goes so quickly..on the boat, one island, next island, off the boat...you don't have time to explore the ship much.

Our last cruise was the 7 day western...big difference..lol.

We can only take a 1 week vacation, so if we fly, the 3 night works well for us. We go 4 nights to WDW and then 3 nights on the cruise (it is nice to cruise after the parks--much more relaxing).

If we drive, the 4 night works better. We leave Friday after work and get there Saturday night. Cruise 4 night and then go to WDW for 2 days and then head home.

I like cruise after our time at WDW, but I like being able to drive because it saves money and gives us more flexibility.

We always book the cruise for our twin DD's birthday, so for the next few years their birthday falls on the 4 day cruise. We will be doing that or the 7 day until 2007.

DJ

I've been on 3 3 night cruises, and a 7 night cruise on DCL and never seen any appreciable difference between the crowd make-up and behavior. We love the 3 night because it gives us a taste of cruising, and relaxing, without missing too much work. we've never done a 4 night because in my mind, I'd only miss one more day of work for a 7 night, so why not do that.

We love the 3 night--seeing the shows, seeing all the restaurants. Last trip, we didn't get off the ship in Nassau at all, but stayed onboard to enjoy all the ship had to offer.

Try the three day especially for a first cruise. I said we would never do a 3 after being on a 4. However- we have been waiting for summer 2005 dates for a 7-- it hasnt happened. Then I stumbled upon a secret porthole for the New Years Eve 3 day and couldnt refuse! It is probably not much different in price than a 4 day but it should be special.

Originally posted by westjones
We can only take a 1 week vacation, so if we fly, the 3 night works well for us. We go 4 nights to WDW and then 3 nights on the cruise (it is nice to cruise after the parks--much more relaxing).
I'd rather spend a full week on a cruise and a full week at WDW, as two separate vacations. Trying to do both in the same weeks seems too rushed to me.

That just shows how people are different.

WE DID THE 3 NIGHT CRUISE AND MISSED CASTAWAY CAY DUE TO HIGH WINDS. THE SHIP COULDN'T DOCK. GO ON THE 4 NIGHT...IF THE WEATHER IS BAD 1 DAY, THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY TO TRY.

I really like the idea of cruising after the parks and with the 4 day it makes it very difficult to do that. I didn't mention that this is our first cruise ever- we don't even know if we will like cruising. So I think if we love it maybe our next vacation with be the 7 night.
Thanks for all your input- the navigators are especially helpful!

I changed my ressie to the 4 day- for 5 of us in a cat 4 it was only $400 dif.
Thanks to everyone!
PS: how weird is this- After I changed my ressie I came to the DISBoards to tell y'all BEFORE calling the husband! SICK

no character breakfasts or 'tea with Wendy' on either of the 3- or 4-day cruises

There are on some of the 4 night. I checked with Disney cruise because I kept seeing the Tea with Wendy on the 4 night Navigators I read. I guess some 4 n cruises will have them and others wont.

Thanks- that is nice to know- I am very content with my choice to switch to the 4 day- The only bad part is that now we are doing a land/sea sandwich
1 day at wdw- 4 day cruise- 3 more days at wdw
I am afraid with all that running around it won't be very relaxing

CheapMom,

In think you'll find that you're right about the trip not being relaxing, but I doubt that you'll regret it!

Last November we did five days at WDW (also at ASMo!) and then a 3-day Wonder cruise. There is SO MUCH to do that, even though the atmosphere on the ship is very relaxing, you'll probably be going non-stop most of the time you're on the cruise!

I think that's the biggest advantage to a seven day cruise, you have more time to stop and catch your breath occasionally. On a 3 or 4 day cruise you'll keep busy trying to do everything you want to do in a shorter period of time. But the shorter cruise is still DEFINITELY well worth it!

The 3 and 4 day cruises aren't relaxing if you want to try to get in everything (and we do!). BUT they are fun!

Some people have said they like to do WDW before AND after their cruise. They said that it helped with the disappointment from having to leave the ship (knowing they were going back to WDW).

We haven't done that, probably won't because we drive, but I can see how it could be a good plan.

Have a great trip!
DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter