• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disabled child on a cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, you were saying your child would steal things and that you couldn't do anything about it - I don't think any of us (with or without a special needs child) would be "understanding" of having our stuff taken (and eaten/used) by someone else on a cruise. No, I didn't go search, I was part of that thread and actually surprised by your post.

In terms of the non illegal actions of our special needs children, we've learned to do what we can to minimize the effect on other people but not hide him away. Most people (on cruises and elsewhere) are understanding (especially when they can see that we are trying to do something) and other people, I figure that maybe they have something going on that I cannot see (and, frankly, I'm not going to have to see them again).

Honestly if he acts out in a manner that is dangerous to him or others then I would expect you to remove him from the situation. If stealing food from others is a problem possibly you could request being seated separately to avoid it happening to strangers. I am not saying don't cruise but I am saying that it is up to you to remove him when he is being difficult to handle to an area he can calm down.

It depends on what you expect from the cruise. If you are planning on having him with you all the time, then go ahead! if you want to leave him in the kids clubs, i think you should make an objective summary of his behaviour and then see if its really right for him. if you think hed enjoy it, then contact dcl And accurately describe your child. they can determine if they can accomodate him or not. i haven't read any other threads so I don't know what challenges your child is facing.

It depends on what you expect from the cruise. If you are planning on having him with you all the time, then go ahead! if you want to leave him in the kids clubs, i think you should make an objective summary of his behaviour and then see if its really right for him. if you think hed enjoy it, then contact dcl And accurately describe your child. they can determine if they can accomodate him or not. i haven't read any other threads so I don't know what challenges your child is facing.

Thank you but I'm giving up. I'm canceling our cruise and not rebooking. I've been harassed here and someone actually found me on Facebook and messaged me. I give up. :'(

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm over sensitive. Maybe I'm just being a protective mom.

We are going on our first Disney Cruise in September. I read the boards and actively participate and at that in a positive way. Here's the sticky part. Without going into detail it seems as though some people don't understand intellectual and behavioral delays in children. I made a comment that at times my child is hard to control and multiple people stated I shouldn't take him on a cruise and even went to the extent saying pretty much that I'm a bad parent for letting him act out. I'm offended. I fired back once and of course, I got reported but these people are putting down disabled children and saying they shouldn't cruise.

Am I crazy or does anybody see this happening on the boards too or seen it in person on vacation??

PLEASE only positive helpful feedback. I really do not want a debate started or any putting down of anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have not read the thread you mentioned. But as a parent of a child with a disability-my child is my responsibility. I would not let her "act out" and disturb or cause stress for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter