Disabled child in a wheelchair and the kids clubs

My nephew is able to use switches and some levers but these need to be given to him. He is not able to participate without assistance from another person. In school he has a personal care assistant. If Disney can not provide someone and does not allow a family member to help then I feel they are not in compliance with the American disability act.

If the club were a school, then perhaps they'd have to provide an assistant. But they aren't. The ADA requires certain businesses to make accommodations, but there are many things they don't have to do. For example, every restaurant doesn't have to have the menu in Braille, or have a signer for the deaf, but they do have to have a handicapped stall in bathrooms or an exemption for why they can't accommodate.

I think Disney goes way beyond what is required by law, but there are just going to be some things that a person in a wheelchair can't do. The pools are not accessible, for example. There are excursions that are restricted to those who can board a vehicle or vessel, or walk a short distance.

I think you'll have more luck getting permission for an adult to stay with him than you will trying to get a CM dedicated to him. Allowing someone to stay is the type of accommodation the ADA had in mind, not requiring private businesses to hire staff dedicated to the care of one individual.

If you decide that having an adult stay with him would work, get it in writing and have that document with you. The 20-somethings working at the Club and Lab need to know that an exception has been made (if they do grant that).

Nancy

...I think you'll have more luck getting permission for an adult to stay with him than you will trying to get a CM dedicated to him. Allowing someone to stay is the type of accommodation the ADA had in mind, not requiring private businesses to hire staff dedicated to the care of one individual.

If you decide that having an adult stay with him would work, get it in writing and have that document with you. The 20-somethings working at the Club and Lab need to know that an exception has been made (if they do grant that).

Nancy

No exception will be granted for this; DCL changed their rules about a year ago and they are very strict about it. DCL allows absolutely no adults other than CMs in the secured programming areas. This is unfortunately the result of one (or possibly more) incident and DCL no longer allowed family members or paid care-givers to remain with a child in the Club/Lab. They do offer at least 1 "Open House" each day in each club, and yes there are special activities planned during that time in addition to free play; a parent or adult is required to remain with any child (special needs or not) attending Open House.

To the OP: unfortunately, if your nephew requires direct 1:1 attention from a caregiver, they will not be able to accommodate him in the Club/Lab. It is a remote possibility that the 14-yr-old brother could attend to him, but since 14 is well above the overlap age for the Club/Lab I wouldn't plan on it. I suggest taking advantage of the Open House times (check your Navigator as it may change each day) so someone can join him while he participates with others. Also, there are many other areas of the ship and other activities where the family can participate together - there are many family activities, not just in the kids clubs. The D Lounge has various family activities throughout the day.

While I understand it can be frustrating to think he's missing something others get to enjoy, try looking at it from the positive point of view - we'll get to do THESE activities together (with brother, cousins, family who otherwise would be excluded from specific kids club activities) and it will be fun together. Yes, there will be other kids doing these activities as well - not all kids spend all day in the kids clubs.

Enjoy your cruise!

Did you find that your son was able to navigate the rest of the ship in his wheelchair? Was there anything that was not accessible or was challenging?

I can only comment on the Dream/Fantasy layout. Most areas are easily accessible for wheelchairs. Watch out for the following...

Make sure you reserve an Accessible stateroom. The doors on the standard staterooms are 30" and not wide enough for most chairs. The bathrooms in the standard staterooms are raised and not accessible. Not enough clearance around the bed in veranda staterooms that are not marked accessible.

Connector corridors between port and starboard corridors (on stateroom floors) are tight, Accessible but tight. Elevators are fine except immediately after shows, avoid the ones closest to the theatre.

Royal Palace/Royal Court has a decorative step up, but the ramp is behind the main stairs and easily found.

All dining, decks, and main corridors are not a problem.

Normal docked ports fully accessible from the ship. Be mindful of excursions.

Pools and Aquaduck will require transfer. There are multiple steps. The Goofy pool has a lip around it to sit in the water. It is impossible to have a zero entry pool on the boat because of size issues. There is an accessbile splash area on the dream. The accesible entrance to this is on the right side of the area facing Cabanas.

The Aquaduct requires climbing many stairs to get to start point. There may be a hidden elevator access to this point, but it is not visable to the public. You would still need to transfer at the end. There are at least three steps from the end platform to the main deck.

Hope this helps.

I would not expect an exception to the policy of no adults in the secure programming other than DCL CMs. This policy was instituted after the actions of an individual over the age of 21 who was allowed into an area dedicated to minors in an assistance capacity created issues involving other guest(s). Many of us suspect that the new, very strict policy came from the legal department.

It is unfortunate that the actions of one or a few individuals made life more difficult for many others, but DCL is protecting itself on this one.

Yes, you'll be able to enjoy the open house times. DO talk to the CMs about whether or not they can provide for your child during secure times. But don't expect them to alter their basic policies. I don't think the CMs on board CAN--I think this policy came down from "on high."

...The Aquaduct requires climbing many stairs to get to start point. There may be a hidden elevator access to this point, but it is not visable to the public. You would still need to transfer at the end. There are at least three steps from the end platform to the main deck.

At least on the Dream, the AquaDuck does not have an elevator and therefore is not considered accessible. I suspect the same on the Fantasy unless it was constructed differently, which I have not read about. I have heard of at least one instance in which someone was carried up the stairs and those in line voluntarily allowed them pass.

http://candyharrington.com/clips/cruise.php

if you read the link you will find that cruise ships are required to meet ADA. DCL is very accessible, and in fact even the tenders in grand cayman are now "ramped", and work well as long as the seas are clam.

DCL meets ADA for physical arrangements - ramps, elevators etc, for 99% of the requirements - companion bathrooms - accessible cabins - staff at dining areas willing to help get food and carry it to a table at the buffets.

Biggest disappointment at this time is the lack of an accessible pool or hot tub which can be solved by adding a lift.. ( Im hoping that as they go in for major dry dock that these get added)

the question then becomes are they required to provide an assistant to a handicapped person at certain activities -and there the law is less clear - they have to make a reasonable accommodation -and the question becomes one of health and safety not only of the individual but of the rest of the children in the club, and disney's liability should said attendant do something illegal.

So while they must comply with ADA,the lawyers would and could make a fortune with this question.

trust me-go on the DCL cruise,the CMs and characters will go out of their way to make sure he has a good time...

John

trust me-go on the DCL cruise,the CMs and characters will go out of their way to make sure he has a good time...

John[/QUOTE]

This is the bottom line and I totally agree with John's statement!:thumbsup2

AKK

I think you'll have more luck getting permission for an adult to stay with him

They will not allow an adult to stay with him during secured programming. At this point, no adults other than DCL cast members are permitted during secured programming. This is what the open house times are meant to address - disabled children have access to the clubs at that time, with a caregiver. This is how they make the accommodation, if it is required (a reasonable accommodation is required - I don't practice law anymore but I could make the argument that providing open house in the clubs is a reasonable accommodation.)

The OP wants her nephew to be left in secured programming with other children - but he appears to be unable to be left on his own without a caregiver, he cannot have an adult with him and apparently DCL does not have the option of hiring a staff member to provide one on one care to disabled kids in secured programming. They went the open house route instead.

They will do what is possible to make sure he has a good time, and there will be plenty of opportunities for him to interact with other kids at the scheduled family activities, even if he is not left in the club, but if he requires one on one care from an adult you will not be able to leave him in the secured kids' programming. If the clubs are not busy a cast member may be able to stay with him, but you will not find an option to make one cast member continually responsible for him.

My son has SB too. Any advice on getting around the ship with a chair. In everyday occurances people are more than accommodating and let us in line, through doors and on elevators before them. I could understand people on a three night cruise being a little bit more pressed for time and not as friendly.

The elevator situation is one of the most challenging parts of cruising with a wheelchair. In our experience, very few fellow passengers will let the person in the wheelchair on ahead of them. My family typically splits up, one of us waits for the elevator with my son in the wheelchair and the rest of us go on via stairs. I would strongly encourage you to choose a room closer to the forward or aft elevator bank. The midship ones are very busy.

Navigating the ship in the chair was not a problem whatsoever. You must have an accessible room, as even a childs wheelchair will not fit through the regular doors. There is not an elevator for the AquaDuck, but we were told that we could come 15 minutes prior to opening and they would let my son ride several times in a row before the masses. We never took them up on that offer, however. He is still small, so DH or I had no trouble carrying him up. When the line paused, we set him down on the step. He LOVED the Aqua Duck by the way. They also let DH carry him up the Mickey slide and I caught him at the bottom over and over....:)

They excuse you from the safety drill early so you can get to the elevator, this is a great way to get a good spot for the sail away party ;)

Excursions are also a bit of a challenge as you will notice that most of them specifically state that no one in a wheelchair is permitted. We have gotten over this by planning our own adventures. We rented a jeep in St Maarten, and found a great handicapped certified dive shop on St Thomas that took enthusiastically welcomed our family and DID provide a one on one assistant for my son to snorkel with.

I could go on and on, but my family loves DCL and are truly not interested in cruising with anyone else until my kids are older. Feel free to ask more questions!

PrincessShmoo said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Never to old

Hi! My 9 year old nephew who has cerebral palsy will be cruising with us in Sept. He has motor difficulties and uses a wheelchair. I have received conflicting information from Disney representatives regarding him using the kids club. We were told that they have a specially trained person on one day. The next day we were told no and that they can not provide him with a lot of help. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with a physically disabled child and the use of the kids club? Would an adult family member be able to go with him so that he could participate in the activities? Any suggestions, information and tidbits is appreciated.

During the regular Secured Programming, no adults other than DCL CMs are allowed to be in the club with the kids. During Open House hours, adults (parents) must be present for the child to attend.

AFAIK, they will do their best to assist your child during the Secured Programming hours, but you will not have a dedicated CM for that.

bolding is mine....
No, not really...If a parent feels comfortable allowing their child go alone they certainly are allowed to. Kids who have sign in/out privileges can attend. I think it would be better to say this is the only time PARENTS or other adults are allowed in the clubs because really the kids (hopefully only older ones!!) don't Have to Have someone to come in with them. It's just Disney is not responsible for 'watching' them.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

bolding is mine....
No, not really...If a parent feels comfortable allowing their child go alone they certainly are allowed to. Kids who have sign in/out privileges can attend. I think it would be better to say this is the only time PARENTS or other adults are allowed in the clubs because really the kids (hopefully only older ones!!) don't Have to Have someone to come in with them. It's just Disney is not responsible for 'watching' them.

Some one else will have to chime in on that, as I have no personal experience with it. I have read here that in the area that is having the Open House, an adult or parent must be attending with the child. Which makes sense to me, otherwise you have young children playing in an area with many unknown adults (not DCL CMs) and no adult looking out for them.

:cutie:

Since you are getting different info maybe you can try and contact someone at the Cruise head quarters. I would think that if you can provide someone to assist your nephew that Disney would do what they could to allow this. It may be due to insurance or something that they cannot allow someone to be a "para" for your nephew.

My brother is disabled and uses a wheelchair. I have learned from experience to go to the top of the chain (employee wise) and get your request and answer in writing. Let them know you are going to switch cruise lines if they cannot accomodate you and your party.

Good Luck! I hope your newphew and your family has an amazing cruise!:)

From Disney Cruise website:
More Information and Special Reservations
If you would like to request accommodations for Guests with disabilities, please discuss your needs with the reservationist at the time of booking.

For questions and more information please call (407) 566-3500 [voice] or (407) 566-7455 [TTY]. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to dial this number

Here is some info reguarding other cruise line and the services they provide children with disabilities:

http://cruisewithmike.wordpress.com...pecial-needs-kids-children-with-disabilities/

http://www.sath.org/ Society for accessibly travel

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. You have given me hope that the open house may work. Unfortunately when DH and I went to one on the Fantasy I found things were not on and there were only adults looking/playing. Well at least my DH was playing. Now this was a early sailing so maybe they didn't have their act together. I found it hard to believe that the potato head was already missing pieces, lol. I am sure that we can make things work. After all its only 3 nights. I appreciate the suggestions for checking out the excursions. We are just planning on staying on the ship at Nassau, probably along with everyone else.

I didn't realize that they would make accommodations for the aqua duct. Not sure they would want to carry him up all those steps.

Does anyone recall if you can get to mini golf and the other sports areas by elevator? We have been on both the Dream and the Fantasy and I just can't recall if we had to do steps to get there.

bolding is mine....

Some one else will have to chime in on that, as I have no personal experience with it. I have read here that in the area that is having the Open House, an adult or parent must be attending with the child. Which makes sense to me, otherwise you have young children playing in an area with many unknown adults (not DCL CMs) and no adult looking out for them.

:cutie:

PrincessShmoo -- that is how it has been presented both here on the board and my experience on the Fantasy last April. When we looked into the club area the CM asked if she could help us I told her that DD just wanted to see what the club area looked like. She said that it was open house time and since I was with her, she could go in and look around with me. She was 11 and in the Edge. The point of the open house was that no child is there on their own without a responsible adult with them so that other adults could not interfere with them while in the club area.

lbgraves said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

bolding is mine....

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo -- that is how it has been presented both here on the board and my experience on the Fantasy last April. When we looked into the club area the CM asked if she could help us I told her that DD just wanted to see what the club area looked like. She said that it was open house time and since I was with her, she could go in and look around with me. She was 11 and in the Edge. The point of the open house was that no child is there on their own without a responsible adult with them so that other adults could not interfere with them while in the club area.

Well on the Dream, they were letting kids in and out by themselves. But then again, on the Dream they (on occasion) let unpottytrained children in the clubs as exceptions! So I guess anything goes on the Dream and the Fantasy runs a tighter ship! ;)

Does anyone recall if you can get to mini golf and the other sports areas by elevator? We have been on both the Dream and the Fantasy and I just can't recall if we had to do steps to get there.

YES! The sports deck is accessible by the aft elevators, however only two of the four in the aft bank go to that floor. I'm thinking that it is the forward-most two (across from each other), just pop your head in to make sure that the one you're on has a "13" button.

I also wanted to add that on our last Fantasy cruise in October, DH and I were called to the Lab as my son had a "protein spill" (which is how vomit will forever be known in my house :rotfl2:). Though the staff was taking excellent care of him, and had already changed his shirt, etc...We were not only permitted, but were ushered into the bathroom to be at his side. The point is, we were able to go to our son when he needed us, and not barred from entering the club. They are reasonable in the rule enforcement :thumbsup2

I really hope that you try DCL with your nephew, especially for just a 3 night. There is MUCH more for kids than just the clubs. Disney does a great job making special people feel, well special! I'm betting he has the time of his life!

I have an elevator tip for anyone using a wheelchair, stroller (us) or any other reason not being able to use the stairs.

If you are having a difficult time getting on the elevator because everyone is going in one direction/elevators are full by the time they reach your floor (example after shows, getting on/off ship at ports, embarkation/disembarkation), then call the elevator going in the opposite direction of the crowd! This way, you can get on a relatively empty elevator and not have to fight the crowd (since they are going in the opposite directions) and then ride the elevator up/down and then back to your destination.

Whoa. Since when are parents not allowed in during "secured programming hours"? I'm glad my kids are older now, I liked being able to go in and talk to them a bit or see what they were doing. Not like I stayed more than a few minutes but still.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind when I have grandbabies someday (hopefully not anytime soon please though LOL)

Four Bears said:
I have an elevator tip for anyone using a wheelchair, stroller (us) or any other reason not being able to use the stairs.

If you are having a difficult time getting on the elevator because everyone is going in one direction/elevators are full by the time they reach your floor (example after shows, getting on/off ship at ports, embarkation/disembarkation), then call the elevator going in the opposite direction of the crowd! This way, you can get on a relatively empty elevator and not have to fight the crowd (since they are going in the opposite directions) and then ride the elevator up/down and then back to your destination.

we learned that!! and DH also figured out how to press the buttons once inside to get it to reverse directions!! If the elevator is empty, the other people get on with us, they LOVE it! Seriously... I still cannot figure out the series that he presses that makes it work, but it does! Of course he doesn't do it, if there are other people already on the elevator.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:
Whoa. Since when are parents not allowed in during "secured programming hours"? I'm glad my kids are older now, I liked being able to go in and talk to them a bit or see what they were doing. Not like I stayed more than a few minutes but still.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind when I have grandbabies someday (hopefully not anytime soon please though LOL)

It's no big deal to get a pass to walk in to check on and talk to your kids and/or see what they're doing. It's just to cut down on the opportunity for other parents who you don't know interacting with your kids. Same logic that's behind background checks to help out at schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter