Disability Accomodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor10588

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are leaving for a 8 night Disney vacation in 2 weeks. I was in a car accident 3 weeks ago and have a fracture in my L1 vertebrae. Standing continuously for 30 minutes or more is painful, but as long as I can sit and rest periodically within that time frame I'm able to function relatively normally. We are in our 60's and this is our first visit in 15 years and were already planning on taking on the park very slowly, but now I guess it will have to be at an even slower pace.

If would like to request a Disability Access Accomodation to receive a ride return time so that I can sit during the time I'd normally have to stand in the ride stand by queue. Does anyone think Guest Services will allow this accomodation or do you think they will tell me to get a wheel chair or ECV, neither of which I am interested in doing. Thanks!!!!

I would expect Disney to call this a mobility issue and you would not qualify for the card. I would definitely look into renting an ECV for the entire length of your trip. It will make your trip more enjoyable because you will be in less pain.

Given what you've described here, I would expect your request for a DAS to be denied, as it is not intended for mobility/stamina issues.

You might look into a rollator. I don't know of anywhere that rents them, but they're not expensive to purchase (at least no more so than renting a WC/ECV for a week). You can walk when you need to, and sit when you need to. There are not a lot of places to sit at Disney, inside or outside of queues.

Not to mention that some FP lines COULD be in the 30 minute space, as could a variety of other lines (bus, etc.). And as a PP mentioned, there are fewer and fewer places to sit.

Thank you for your replies. I'm just not the type of person that would be comfortable using a rollator at all or a wheel chair and my husband couldn't push it anyway. Id prefer to be ambulatory on my own and be able to sit when necessary to alleviate the pain and if I can do that I do not need an ECV AND I don't intend to rent one for the ridiculous prices they charge. Furthermore I'd don't require that level of accomodation, just periodic relief from the spinal compression and NOT have to stand in line in the queue. I don't want to get to the front of the line any faster and would be happy to wait 15 minutes longer to ride if I could just sit during the queue time and return to ride without a long period of standing. If that is how Disney is treating their customers . If that is their policy on mobility issues it is horrible. Glad I didn't waste our money the last 15 years and we won't return.

I understand the FP and regular queues can be quite long and longer than I can tolerate being ambulatory. But I resent the fact that Disney expects me to spend $40/day for 8 days for an ECV because they'd rather make a profit on me than easily accomodate my injury from an accident. I'd be more than happy to ADD 15 minutes to my return time over stand by if I just DID NOT have to STAND the entire time.

As I said, just because you aren't in a queue doesn't mean you'll find a place to sit. Benches are few and far between, and often occupied. Needing a place to sit is accommodated by having a place to sit - a wheelchair, ECV, rollator, seat-cane, or some other type of mobility device.

The fact that you don't want to use a mobility device does not change the fact that it's an appropriate accommodation for your condition.

Finally, Disney does not force you to rent from them, so your accusations of a profit motive here are incorrect. You are more than welcome to bring a mobility device of your own or rent from an outside vendor.

I understand your frustration, but know that you likely will not be sitting during the wait time even if they did grant you a DAS (which, as others have stated, is unlikely). There are very few places to sit in the parks and benches have been steadily disappearing for a long time. In short, if you know you will need to sit or can't stand for any length of time your only guaranteed option is an ECV or a rollator.

Thank you for your replies. I'm just not the type of person that would be comfortable using a rollator at all or a wheel chair and my husband couldn't push it anyway. Id prefer to be ambulatory on my own and be able to sit when necessary to alleviate the pain and if I can do that I do not need an ECV AND I don't intend to rent one for the ridiculous prices they charge. Furthermore I'd don't require that level of accomodation, just periodic relief from the spinal compression and NOT have to stand in line in the queue. I don't want to get to the front of the line any faster and would be happy to wait 15 minutes longer to ride if I could just sit during the queue time and return to ride without a long period of standing. If that is how Disney is treating their customers . If that is their policy on mobility issues it is horrible. Glad I didn't waste our money the last 15 years and we won't return.
if you do not want to rent a wheel chair or ECV then you could get a cain with a set on it I have seen them a few times at disney that way you could sit in line. the resin why disney dose it this way is that then the return line ( the fast pass line) would be so long it would easier be a 30 to 45 minute wait and the people that can not wait in line for other resin then mobility would not be able to do disney at all. Yes you do not need it at home but at disney you walk at whole lot more then you would other wise and a lot of people need them at disney and you will never see them again. you may not like that disney dose it this way but they have to think about every one

also if is very hard ti find a set in the park and even when I am having server medical problems I have to sit on the ground and I am being almost stepped on and have to have a few Cm stand around me while the paramedics come this has happened a few times so the idea you will be able to find a set is not likely. and when you are leaving coming you can be standing for over an hour I got to magic kingdom about 30 minutes after it opened and it took me 45 minute to get through bag check them about another 15 to just get in and that was a very low crowd day of I think 2

there is a thread up top that list out side venders I would suggest renting an ECV from out side and if a line is short then maybe walking it but I have been in a number that was 10 minutes and they turn into 30+ minutes so even that is not 100%

Last edited:
I understand the FP and regular queues can be quite long and longer than I can tolerate being ambulatory. But I resent the fact that Disney expects me to spend $40/day for 8 days for an ECV because they'd rather make a profit on me than easily accomodate my injury from an accident. I'd be more than happy to ADD 15 minutes to my return time over stand by if I just DID NOT have to STAND the entire time.
Disney has to provide accommodation for a disability but not necessarily the accommodation you prefer. The lines are wheelchair/Ecv accessible (most anyway) and the accommodation is that you can use a mobility device in the line. You are not required to rent one from them. In fact I would recommend you rent one from an outside company as it's cheaper and You can use it outside of the parks ie at your hotel. The average person walks around 8 miles a day at Disney. Some of the queues are 1/4 mile long. If you need to sit you need to bring your own and that is what the Ecv/wheelchair is

Sighhh. I realize I haven't been there in 15 years so maybe I'm very out of touch with the reality of the parks today. I just thought I could still remain ambulatory in the parks if I could just sit down for 5-10 minutes. I don't need a chair I can sit on a rail or or the ground as long as I can take the compressive pressure off my fractured vertebrae. I appreciate all of your advice, but I'm just not the kind of person who will ever use a rollator or an ECV. I guess there's a real reason we haven't returned to Disney for 15 years. Over that time our kids grew up and wanted thrill rides so we went to Universal every year after. I used to think Disney was a magical place but not so much anymore.

Sighhh. I realize I haven't been there in 15 years so maybe I'm very out of touch with the reality of the parks today. I just thought I could still remain ambulatory in the parks if I could just sit down for 5-10 minutes. I don't need a chair I can sit on a rail or or the ground as long as I can take the compressive pressure off my fractured vertebrae. I appreciate all of your advice, but I'm just not the kind of person who will ever use a rollator or an ECV. I guess there's a real reason we haven't returned to Disney for 15 years. Over that time our kids grew up and wanted thrill rides so we went to Universal every year after. I used to think Disney was a magical place but not so much anymore.
disney is still magical and amazing you are only thinking of your self and not the whole picture that is what disney has to do they have to think about every one. if you do not want to rent a wheel chair ECV or a roller then you can buy a cain ( I think I spelled that wrong that has a set on it they allow these in the park that way you can sit when you need too most of the lines are very slow moving to allow the fast pass to merge with the regular line toward the end you would not have long to sit may be 5 minutes ( I do not know for sure) but you could take frequent breaks in line you are also going during a slower time so most of the lines will not be that long

There are not many places to sit near many of the attractions. Benches are few and far between and often in use by other patrons. I cannot imagine the ground or a rail being very comfortable for you and your current back issues. Other posters have offered advice. You are free to disregard it, but I can see that your trip is not going to be very fun if you go into the vacation with this current attitude that Disney makes their rules just to scam more money from you. Disney's policies are the best they can create to handle millions of visitors a year.
I just got back from WDW last week and I am dealing with a cyst on my spine at L4 and a disc tear. I was able to manage the parks with the use of some prescription anti-imflammatories and pain pills. I took things slow and considered renting an ECV, but ended up not needing it. And sure, some times I wished I qualified for the DAS. My trip would have been easier, for sure.

Another thing people do is push an empty wheelchair when they're able to walk and sit down in it when they need to sit. To avoid pushing it all the time you could also park it when using FP or for shorter queues and only use it for the waits you know will be longer. Many people who use mobility aids in the park will never use one outside of the park, but going to a Disney park is not the same as many other daily activities and may require additional equipment.

Thank you that's a really creative solution. There is no way my husband could push me in a wheelchair all day but if I could use it while in the stand by queue and sit when my back starts to hurt that would really work for me. Best idea I've heard so far!

I'm glad you are thinking about renting a wheelchair now. To be honest, I think you will need one even if you were able to receive a DAS. We walked 8-10 miles each day on our last trip. The walk from the bus stops to the front gates is pretty long - check it out on google maps when you have a chance.

Also, if you were to just sit down on the ground at WDW, a CM would be right over to check to see if you were OK - an older adult plopping down on the pavement is an anomoly that would have the staff very concerned about your well being. You could sit on the ground or lean on a rail in the queue though.

Thank you that's a really creative solution. There is no way my husband could push me in a wheelchair all day but if I could use it while in the stand by queue and sit when my back starts to hurt that would really work for me. Best idea I've heard so far!
there are a lot of people that use wheel chairs this way at disney ( where they push them most of the time and site when needed) if you go this way I would get a wheel chair form off site that way you have it all the time wheel chair come in different set sizes and if you get one that fits you it is so much easer to push. I have heard the way you know what size to get ( and if I am wrong someone please correct me) is to measure how wide your set is one way I have heard is to take a pice of paper and sit on it and mark your sides and them measure the with. I am a very small person and disney wheel chair are about 8 inches wider then I am and very heavy and I could not push my self even if I wanted to going down hill in one when I hurt my foot thank goodness I was not alone that trip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter