Disability Access Card Question

gismo1554

DIS Veteran
OK so in September 2013 I got a DAS card and was told that it would be valid for every visit. I used it last May and didn't have any problems as I only use it for a few specific rides where the queing area is a problem. However I have just been reading the FAQ and it mentioned that they are only valid for 14 days. Is this a new process? Does this mean I need to go back and get a new one when we go in May? It doesn't matter if I do I just wanted to check so that we can make sure we factor this in to the first visit to the parks.

Thanks

Do you have an AP? I believe they make the DAS cards good for 60 days for AP holders. For people without an AP, the DAS is good for the length of the trip, up to a max of 14 days.

To my knowledge, the DAS has always had an expiration so I'm not sure why you were told otherwise; in fact it should have a date range on the front next to the picture. Possibly the CM who told you that meant that it was good for every park visit during that stay as it is typically issued for length of stay (or 60 days to AP holders). If you were able to successfully use the same DAS several months later, I'd consider that lucky for you and not a typical situation. You will need to stop by Guest Relations to get a new DAS each trip, however if you bring the old one back it can make the process easier.

Enjoy your vacation!

When you went in September 2013, the GAC (Guest Assistance Card) was still in use. GAC had different stamps, based on what the person's needs were. There was a stamp that allowed for entry into attractions through an alternate entrance, which was probable the stamp you had.
GACs were dated and were usually dated to be valid for your length of stay (so most were 14 days or less). It could be used for every visit during the time it was valid (meaning, you did not have to get a new one each day).
Florida Residents or people with Annual Passes could get a longer date - up to 3 or even 6 months, but they did expire.

GAC was changed on October 9, 2013 to the DAS (Disability Access Service), so if you still had a GAC last May, it would not have been valid. DAS is a much different program - it is for guests who have difficulty waiting in the regular queue. The assistance it provides is getting a Return Time approximately equal to the current wait time so that the guest can wait outside of the line. When you return to the attraction, you use the Fastpass line.
There are no separate stamps on DAS; guests who need assistance with things like avoiding stairs or specific areas of queues ask the CM at the entrance to the attraction and the CM will assist. DAS is not needed for that, which may be why your GAC 'still worked' last May - since you didn't need anything except to explain your needs, it didn't matter that you had a GAC.

DAS cards are dated to be valid for a certain time period. Usually it is your length of stay - so in most cases less than 14 days. People with Annual Passes can get a DAS valid for a longer period - I think it is up to 60 days.

Thanks everyone. Its definitely not a GAC as I travelled in October sorry got the wrong month. I remember at the time that there was loads of chatter on here about the new cards and how they would work with alternative entrances. It doesn't have stamps on it or anything so its definitely not that one.

Also I don't have an annual pass so I guess as said I got lucky last year. I haven't been able to get the suitcase out to check for an expiry date on the front but I'll definitely factor in going and getting another one this year! I did think it odd that it never expired at the time but thogut that was really useful as go to the parks at least once a year. Oh well I'll just need to remember to stop off at guest services on the first day. Thanks everyone!

I wonder if the CM just meant it never expired during your trip and just wasn't super specific?

Either way, you'll definitely need another one. The DAS has never been no expiration and the GAC is no longer in effect. It just takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks all! I think they just managed to confuse me and last year I somehow got away with it :D

If you still have the one from last year you can bring it and guest relations can scan the QR code on it and quickly print you up a new one.

If you still have the one from last year you can bring it and guest relations can scan the QR code on it and quickly print you up a new one.

Oh fantastic! Ill do that then. Does this mean I don't have to have a new picture (hate having photos done lol)?

Oh fantastic! Ill do that then. Does this mean I don't have to have a new picture (hate having photos done lol)?
Usually they are able to use the same picture.
There is a possibility that a new picture might be needed, but if they can locate your file, the picture should be there.

Thanks! That's always good news - although to be fair my photo on there isn't great as I look like I've been hit in the face lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter